criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Battle Point Event
Focused Feedback

Jetpack Cargo - Review

WreakerOfClash
173 posts Member
edited February 2018
So I just finished my daily challenge, and this was my first time really playing the game mode, as before I played about 2 games where I hopped on, the match was halfway through and I didn't really experience it. Since I've really gotten into the experience of the newest game-mode, Jetpack Cargo, I can summarize what I think of this game mode in one word: awful. I don't really like to be negative about the game, as I love it a ton, but this game-mode is just so bad in my opinion. If you don't know, Jetpack Cargo a limited-time game-mode added with the most recent 1.2 patch. It consists of an 8v8 battle of only Arial units, specially Jump-troopers (I believe that's the name, I'm not sure). You can choose between a pistol, the SE-44C for the Officer and a rifle, the A280 for the Assault class. Very similar to BF2015's Cargo mode, one cargo spawns in the middle of the map, and it's your goal to bring it to the other team's spawn, first to three wins. There is only one map, Tatooine, specifically Mos Eisley. This is where the first major issue comes into play.

Map Choice
I don't understand why Mos Eisley was even selected as the only map. Why didn't they go for any other map like Hoth or Naboo? Personally, I do not like Mos Eisley. I don't find it enjoyable, but it's not the worst thing in the world. Yet this map is so horrendous in what I'll refer to now as JPC. There is so much junk scattered in this map it's unbearable and the arches and buildings make me want to scream. The jet-packs are almost useless as you will 99% of the times run into an obstacle and will desperately float around awaiting your certain demise. I hate this so much, as I can hardly traverse through the map as my jet-packs only seem to slow me down, and what's the point of a mode surrounded around jet-packs if they literally hurt you more than help. Don't even get me started on the night variant. Yay, less lighting, I really wanted to see less of this already stupidly difficult map.

Weapon Unbalance
The weapon unbalance isn't nearly as bad as I would believe, but I only ever die to the SE-44C, as nobody picks the A280. Why you ask? What exactly is the point of picking a weapon that is seemingly less accurate, fires at a slower rate, and deals less damage at close range? Now I'm not going to argue that the A280 is any bit bad, in fact, it's my primary weapon to use, as I am a huge fan of it. I just don't like a match where I'm literally the only person using the A280 whilst everyone else is using the SE-44C or...

The Rocket Launcher
I hate this weapon SO MUCH. It is so annoying to play with and against. JPC really should've been referred to Rocket Nightmare, because the only thing you can see are rockets flying past you, insta-killing your teammates leaving you all alone to be mauled. It recharges way too quickly so your opponent always has enough time to fire a second rocket at you, so when you barely dodge the first you can always get killed by the second. There is no skill in aiming at the body of your enemy and launching your rapid-fire rocket to guarantee yourself kills. The one thing I can give the team on this weapon is that the splash is very balanced where it deals very little damage if you don't dead-on hit them, which is a plus.

Types of Players
So right now I've really only seen three types of players: rocket spammers, objective hogs and campers. The spammers are exactly what you think they are: they never even touch their primary and only ever have their rocket launcher up, and they wildly shoot right when they see a hint of red and fire instantly. These guys aren't nearly as bad as next. The objective hogs are the most annoying. All they do is run after the dropped cargo, avoid any contact with anyone at all costs, jump from building to building and capture a point. Normally, I love objective play. There aren't nearly enough players in GA that will actually play the objective. Hurray, great, objective play! This game-mode, however, does not need these players. I would rather stretch JPC out for longer than to have somebody scurry across the map to end it ASAP. The final type of player is the camper. They sit around corners with their SE-44C's and never feel like actually helping, only to cheaply kill troopers that are running on by. These are the best of the three, as they aren't really that common, but to a point that they're noticeable. Games with the same players over and over get so repetitive that there's no point in playing it over and over.

Improvements
So this is the section where I rattle off suggestions to what could make this mode better. First of all, add more maps. The lack of maps leads to very boring and repetitive games and makes players begging for more maps. Open-ended maps like the first phase of Hoth, the third phase of Endor and others would really make the experience more enjoyable. Increase credits. The payout is ~400, and that's if you are consistently making top five. If the amount can go up to ~520, it would attract a larger playerbase. Remove some debris on Mos Eisley. If JPC is staying with only Mos Eisley, the best thing to do is to remove at least some of the debris, as it's a real hindrance to the mode. Add fake cargo points when cargo is spawning. Players are always camping the main point right when it spawns, so to prevent this, maybe indicate three to five points, and only one actually spawns the cargo? It would help prevent camping to a certain extent.

Summary
Jetpack Cargo is nice in a stance that "hey new modes that's cool!". It appeals to a certain group, and I assume that there are others that really enjoy it, but alas, I don't fall in that group. This mode should stay in the current "limited-time" event style, as it brings back players to see what this new mode is about, it certainly brought me back. Unfortunately, this mode falls so flat on it's face in almost every aspect and is not at all enjoyable. I give this mode a 2.5/10. There is some very brief moments of enjoyment, but this is just not in the right direction in terms of modes. That's it for my review on Jetpack Cargo! I really hope you enjoyed reading. Always tell my your thoughts on this mode or this review, I really enjoy any form of feedback! Thanks for reading, WreakerOfClash, out!
Post edited by WreakerOfClash on

Replies

• Rockets need fixed and the se-44c is OP in general but aside from that it’s an enjoyable mode. They definitely hurt the mode but don’t ruin it.

And why Mos Eisley? Because it is practically, or actually was, designed for it. You don’t see the tops of buildings in the base game but you get to see it all in the mode and the entire map is just places jump on. Also it has a night variant to keep it a bit interesting.
  • Personally I can't stand it, nothing but rocket spam, and one map. Also the map is one of my least favorites, some like it some hate it, i just can't stand the non stop rocket spam it's everywhere the whole time no skill required.
  • EvazanJr wrote: »
    Rockets need fixed and the se-44c is OP in general but aside from that it’s an enjoyable mode. They definitely hurt the mode but don’t ruin it.

And why Mos Eisley? Because it is practically, or actually was, designed for it. You don’t see the tops of buildings in the base game but you get to see it all in the mode and the entire map is just places jump on. Also it has a night variant to keep it a bit interesting.
    Yeah, I understand the logic, but I personally don't think it was the smartest choice, or they could've made it less annoying to play on.
  • Personally I can't stand it, nothing but rocket spam, and one map. Also the map is one of my least favorites, some like it some hate it, i just can't stand the non stop rocket spam it's everywhere the whole time no skill required.
    Exactly.
  • Honestly if the game is going to be advertised as "Live Service", we should be getting new temporary games modes every month. Three months in and all we get is Jetpack Cargo as far as game modes go? Exciting!

And then we have a daily challenge requiring one to play 5 rounds of this? What a great way to make everyone get immediately sick of this clunky mode and never want to play it again.
  • super basic air-to-ground bazooka practice. good times. I play a couple rounds every morning....but noticed I gain top 3 podium if I play for 30 minutes...
    Let's all remember that Luke's hand didn't clank to the stone when he vanished....Everything organic disappears as a force ghost. The in-organic stays...

• I think its a fun new gamemode havent played that much but honestly anything is better than nothing
  • I manage to end this challenge for the week end. I would say it was painful.
    Not going to enter ever again. It take forever to end a single game and we have 5 match to do?
    it took me around 1:30 hour to complete the challenge.
    Not very fun map to play in, always manage to stuck myself somewhere and get boomboom from behind.
  • Hahaha good review. Your "Rocket Nightmare" quote made me laugh irl.. because is so true. It doesnt matter that i start to kill some opponents i know i have around 2-3 secs of life because some ***** will shoot me a rocket to the back. They should allow the aerials as default with the choice to change the gun.

I still remember how naive i was when they announced the mode that it would be nice to max up my aerial. Whats the point of maxing up something if then you cannot use it.. anyways this doesnt annoy me as much as the Rocket Nightmare
  • F03hammer
    5012 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    edited February 2018
    porc44 wrote: »
    I manage to stuck myself somewhere and get boomboom from behind.

379b1c713f34728a1d60ae206a3749a1.286x164x29.gif
    Voluntary Star Wars Battlefront Moderator

28zvwf.jpg
    GT XBOX:
    buyakashak

• Rockets need to be a bit stronger but have a cooldown after each individual shot. Needs more weapons and open maps. Would like to see star cards. Needs to say who delivered the cargo each time cargo is delivered. Aside from that it's a fun, fast-paced and hectic mode different from the other modes that'd feel more refined and have a longer life with improvements mentioned. Just don't bring back BF2015 Cargo as it was probably the most dullest and scattered gamemode in existence, so glad it not only hasn't returned but has been replaced with Jumpack Cargo (which says something there!)
    "DEW IT."
    p1jlhhgtai3b.png
    "I am the Senate."
  • I'm not entirely sure why you're reviewing a mode that just about everybody here can easily check out for themselves.
    The mode is not meant to handle like others. It's meant to be frantic crazy death race for the objective, and on that front it delivers. The "rocket nightmare" adds to this aspect. It's a silly tug of war with a bunch of girl troopers jetting around firing RPGs at each other. It's not meant to be taken seriously.

Mos Eisley was chosen precisely because it's filled with obstacles. It's a challenge. It's slowing you down, but it's slowing your opponent down too. If you think the games are going fast now, they would go by in a blink in a less clustered, open map. Mos Eisley forces you to really master the agility that the jetpack provides, and time your boosts to cross the map in the most efficient way.
    The objective hogs are the most annoying. All they do is run after the dropped cargo, avoid any contact with anyone at all costs, jump from building to building and capture a point.

Yeah, that's the game. However, good teams lead to longer matches. I've seen matches go close to ten minutes, because both teams were equally good at tracking down and killing the carrier. It's not the modes fault if a team sucks leading to short matches.

m0j6n9yk2eer.jpg
    Xbox Live: Honorary Ewok

• This mode is not for me, I'm not sure I'll be able to finish this challenge, my first match took about forty minutes and my hands are wrecked because it's just constant sprinting and spamming.

It also seems really laggy compared to all the other modes I've had the chance to play in for any good length of time since the patch. I don't get much lag normally but that match has at least four guys constantly teloporting back and forth.

I'm going to give it another go, but so far I'd be hard pressed to come up with a game mode that I would personally find more enjoyable than this.
  • As a big fan of BF15’s Cargo, I enjoyed this mode. To me, I enjoyed the fast-paced action that other game modes don’t always have. While I understand why the rocket spam could get annoying and the 1 map can get repetitive, I still think it’s a neat game mode that I would probably play over most of the others.
  • Gr8 fun ...helps you get better rocket skills and shooting on the move.Obs why Mos EISLEY was chosen so they did not have to spend too much time on map for mode...great stuff
  • I didn't like it at first but after a few rounds I think you'll find you get in a rhythm and it gets much more fun. A lot more movement and a lot less getting hung up against obstacles once you have a feel for it.
  • My only two issues with the mode are the rocket spam and the fact that there's only one map for it. I played a few matches last night, and there was a match where I only had two deaths that weren't by rocket launcher.
  • I really like the map choice. Because there are so many buildings and obstacles, good jet pack control is really valuable and you can actually beat your opponents in a race to their home base as the carrier if you’re skilled.

For a temporary mode, I’ve really enjoyed it. Don’t really feel it needs its own playlist on a permenant basis but after they do a few temp modes like this, they should take a lead out of Overwatch’s book and add just one permenantly playlist which is a mix of whacky modes.
  • I played it for the first time last night for the weekend challenge.
    It was interesting, sort of fun.
    Mos Eisley is definitely a Jet Pack friendly map and probably why it was chosen.
    At night it looks awesome.
    But 5 games in a row on the same map gets old quick.

I thought I would be spamming the SE44-C, but found for myself the A280 was the best weapon to use. My kill count jumped much higher once I switched to it.

Won 3, lost 2. On round we lost took forever. I do think they need to put a time limit on a match and have it end if it goes too long (say 20 minutes). The one match lasted almost an hour...

All just my humble opinion...

Plus I would like to have regular Cargo back ... please
  • This gamemode at the basis is fun, but as usual the execution by DICE is garbage.. 1) have they never heard of rocket splash damage? 2) have they never heard of a round time limit?

Wanting to get the 'play 5 rounds of jetpack cargo' weekend challenge done to get a trooper crate I just wasted 30 minutes of my life trying to get 1 round done.. Because the teams were so evenly matched (what are the odds with this matchmaking?!?) it was stuck on 1 capture each forever without a timelimit on the round.. Eventually I just quit because I got fed up trying to even get 1 round done..

That was my SWBF2 experience for this weekend.. Of playing much better games with my friends, bye!
  • Inflatable wrote: »
    This gamemode at the basis is fun, but as usual the execution by DICE is garbage.. 1) have they never heard of rocket splash damage? 2) have they never heard of a round time limit?

Wanting to get the 'play 5 rounds of jetpack cargo' weekend challenge done to get a trooper crate I just wasted 30 minutes of my life trying to get 1 round done.. Because the teams were so evenly matched (what are the odds with this matchmaking?!?) it was stuck on 1 capture each forever without a timelimit on the round.. Eventually I just quit because I got fed up trying to even get 1 round done..

That was my SWBF2 experience for this weekend.. Of playing much better games with my friends, bye!

Too much splash damage would be annoying. You’d constantly be getting insta-gibbed. I think they got that part right tbh.

Lack of a round timer is annoying though!
  • Its broken already.

Ive played it just to get this daily trooper crate as a reward, half the time me and my team gets confused because we try and pick up the cargo and it doesnt even register that we did pick it up. It’ll say attack and defend where the cargo was supposed to be.
    Additionally, this mode desperately needs a time limit. These matches can drag on when no one can manage to deliver the cargo amidst all the rocket spam

Clearly shows they just threw it together to keep is occupied

The objective marker issue has been mentioned to the devs. It's not exclusive to this mode. It can happen in any Strike match with an objective that must be delivered.
    m0j6n9yk2eer.jpg
    Xbox Live: Honorary Ewok