criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Why is there no more lightsaber clashes?

In the EA BF1 you could lightsaber clash with your opponent and mash the action button to overwhelm the opponent. I thought this was a cool feature and I kinda miss it. This game's HvV feels too much like a hack and slash. Now when two lightsaber wielders try to clash instead theyre both hit and stunned and it turns into a weird tug o'war between mashers. Anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Because sword clashes where you and your opponent try to overpower each other never happen in real sword work. The moment you feel a bind happen that would trigger a closing technique, a sweep, a reverse pommel attack, a simple change in the lever, a trap, or a disarm... I'm glad they don't have the gimmick "clashes".
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    Because sword clashes where you and your opponent try to overpower each other never happen in real sword work. The moment you feel a bind happen that would trigger a closing technique, a sweep, a reverse pommel attack, a simple change in the lever, a trap, or a disarm... I'm glad they don't have the gimmick "clashes".

Uuhhh, but clashes are a part of almost every star wars movie, and lightsabers aren't swords. So real world sword fighting doesn't apply when there's magical monks with light beam swords. So why shouldn't it be in the game?
    "...let the past die. Kill it, if you have to. That's the only way to become what you are meant to be."
    source.gif
  • GreenMarc
    304 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    I guess it would cause a huge amount of animation work from DICE.
  • Clashes would be cool but it’s mostly cinematic. After a while it would just be annoying as a saber wielder because of the lack of fluidity and after a while players would learn to just wait til it’s over then spam you with blaster fire.

Uuhhh, but clashes are a part of almost every star wars movie, and lightsabers aren't swords. So real world sword fighting doesn't apply when there's magical monks with light beam swords. So why shouldn't it be in the game?

Hahahaha, well put mate. Rey and Kylo's fight against Snokes guards was easily my favourite lightsaber fight throughout the entire series as they seemed to go halfway between somewhat realistic sword fighting and fantasy, rather than the full on flipping, somersaulting circus style of the prequels, or the wooden runescape swings of the originals, so while a clash is a bit silly from a swordfighting standpoint, sometimes you gotta suspend the disbelief for the sake of enjoyment.
  • I'd be down to circle the wagons and watch 2 heroes lock into a clash. ..grab a drink at the cantina while that goes down... I think proper lightsaber duels are long overdue for a SW game. The technology is insanely good today. No excuses. Streetfighter managed to make a great cult classic that was fun, creativity and quality - in the '90s.

The AI and rendering today should be able to make a great 1 vs 1 saber duel mode. Might have more to do with LucasFilm...?
    Let's all remember that Luke's hand didn't clank to the stone when he vanished....Everything organic disappears as a force ghost. The in-organic stays...

To be fair, Lightsabers don't seem to react to a bind in a similar fashion to metal blades, where the bind can shift and slide against the other blade. They seem to be much more tightly bound, to the point where they are locked together with virtually no sliding at all.

This is especially odd considering the lack of an edge to bite into the other blade, as lightsabers are perfectly round. But without a deeper understanding of how a Lightsaber is supposed to work it's hard to know why they act the way they do. I assume it's a type of plasma held in place by an electromagnetic field, so perhaps the fields can become slightly entangled.

The obvious answer to why lightsabers work the way they do of course is that's what George decided, most certainly viewing it through the eyes of a director and with no real mind for actual sword techniques, or idea of how the science behind it could work. After all a fight in film doesn't need to be accurate, it needs to convey the story the creators are trying to tell. As over the top as a lot of the LS battles are, they do a very good job of visual storytelling in my opinion.