criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

What does Battlefield 2018 mean for this game?

EA is set to reveal Battlefield 2018 for fall in June at EA Play. It is also a game by DICE. It's March, and we still have not seen any significant DLC for this game, nor will they even talk about it. To be honest, the words they've used imply trickles of DLC content vs major releases. They've said there won't necessarily be "Season" DLC anymore.

Is it fair then to say EA might have already moved their focus to Battlefield? That the reason we may not be getting Season content anymore is because a major DLC drop will bring focus back to this game, and EA wants to move the PR focus on to Battlefield as soon as possible?

Lets also not forget they have Anthem slated for early 2019. None of this seems to add up well for substantial support for this game in the future.

Replies

• As dire as the current situation of Battlefront 2 is, another DICE team is handling Battlefield. And EA is certainly interested in keeping this game alive somehow, if only because of Disney/LF, since they won't have another major SW title ready until 2020 at the earliest.
  • The focus is always on battlefield. So many features we haven't got because battlefield has them. Star Wars Battlefield would be so much better than what we have unfortunately.
  • id think they want to cash in on Han Solo season when the movies come out. cant see them just cutting bait this early. I'd think they have already invested resources in development of some of the future content, though its taking longer than it usually would be cause of the massive setback they had at launch. i just hope when they finally change progression system and re-introduce microtransactions that its sufficient enough, along with the the huge price drops currently, to get people back into the game. its getting stale already.
  • Sath
    227 posts Member
    There will only be major updates if there is more money to be made. If they can't imagine how to earn a fortune with micro-transactions with an already declining playerbase, i am afraid they rather announce the discontinuation of this game than another season. I do hope hope they come up with something people want to purchase to keep this game alive a bit longer. It's always viewed with mixed emotions when a company creates their own competition. Would Battlefront 2 have more players if Battlefield One wouldn't exist let alone an even newer Battlefield? Not sure. One thing is for sure, many people only play Battlefront 2 cuz it's Star Wars and that should be reason enough.
  • The focus is always on battlefield. So many features we haven't got because battlefield has them. Star Wars Battlefield would be so much better than what we have unfortunately.

Like Conquest mode? *cough cough* lol
  • bfloo
    13353 posts Member
    Sath wrote: »
    There will only be major updates if there is more money to be made. If they can't imagine how to earn a fortune with micro-transactions with an already declining playerbase, i am afraid they rather announce the discontinuation of this game than another season. I do hope hope they come up with something people want to purchase to keep this game alive a bit longer. It's always viewed with mixed emotions when a company creates their own competition. Would Battlefront 2 have more players if Battlefield One wouldn't exist let alone an even newer Battlefield? Not sure. One thing is for sure, many people only play Battlefront 2 cuz it's Star Wars and that should be reason enough.

The problem is this isn't even a fun Star Wars game. The last game for all its faults was still more enjoyable.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Sath wrote: »

Yeah I've been convinced EA now has conflicting priorities between their shooters...Battlefield, Battlefront, and TitanFall. A lot of old Battlefield fans have wanted to see a sequel to Battlefield 2142. But with these other two IPs set in the future, that is likely never to happen.

At the same time, fans have consistently asked for Conquest in Battlefront as well a more conventional approach to the classes instead of Star Cards and abilities. But could it be the reason we have the game we do is because EA is trying to differentiate it from Battlefield to keep the two from competing with each other?

TitanFall seems to the one that's actually safe to do their own thing. It's a completely different focus.
  • stevenomes wrote: »
    id think they want to cash in on Han Solo season when the movies come out. cant see them just cutting bait this early. I'd think they have already invested resources in development of some of the future content, though its taking longer than it usually would be cause of the massive setback they had at launch. i just hope when they finally change progression system and re-introduce microtransactions that its sufficient enough, along with the the huge price drops currently, to get people back into the game. its getting stale already.

I'm not certain they will ever be able to re-introduce microtransations in this game. At least not without greatly expanding the Clone Wars era content where they can start selling droid and clone army skins. Maybe have some alien skins for the Rebels and Resistance.
  • bfloo wrote: »

The problem is this isn't even a fun Star Wars game. The last game for all its faults was still more enjoyable.

Idk man, I was able to do some real cheesy TL-50 roll Jump jet cheese in 2015. Like obnoxious killings and sprees. Had that maneuver down to a science. Even memorized the arc/drop of the TL-50 secondary fire from almost any distance.

I agree this game’s missing features from that game sorely, but I like this one more personally because of it being more like a Shooter and less Arcade like.

No ground tokens, no vehicles on rails, no invincibility glitches, etc.

Just my Opinion of course.

I definitely do not think the last game was more enjoyable. I think the Endor and Hoth maps in the first game are better than the ones in this game. I also like Supremacy better overall as a game mode. But there were only 4 large maps at launch lol. And the cheese was rolling from day one with explosive shot, homing shot locking on constantly, and the most overpowered pistol I've seen in recent memory...the DL-44. The whole pistol class was way OP to begin with, but the DL-44 was literally a one-shot kill at launch.
  • Dash
    11431 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    bfloo wrote: »

Idk man, I was able to do some real cheesy TL-50 roll Jump jet cheese in 2015. Like obnoxious killings and sprees. Had that maneuver down to a science. Even memorized the arc/drop of the TL-50 secondary fire from almost any distance.

I agree this game’s missing features from that game sorely, but I like this one more personally because of it being more like a Shooter and less Arcade like.

I definitely do not think the last game was more enjoyable. I think the Endor and Hoth maps in the first game are better than the ones in this game. I also like Supremacy better overall as a game mode. But there were only 4 large maps at launch lol. And the cheese was rolling from day one with explosive shot, homing shot locking on constantly, and the most overpowered pistol I've seen in recent memory...the DL-44. The whole pistol class was way OP to begin with, but the DL-44 was literally a one-shot kill at launch.

I used To Explosives Shot, Bowcaster, Jump pack before the nerfs then went with:

Body Guard or Bounty Hunter

Jump pack
    Personal shield
    Bacta bomb

TL-50 “Supaman dat Ho” Secondary shots lol :lol:
    Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• bfloo wrote: »

I used To Explosives Shot, Bowcaster, Jump pack before the nerfs then went with:

Body Guard or Bounty Hunter

Jump pack
    Personal shield
    Bacta bomb

TL-50 “Supaman dat Ho” Secondary shots lol :lol:

yeah that's the thing. There were layers of cheese in the first game. As soon as they would nerf something, the next layer would present itself. lol They nerfed DL-44, then the DH-17 started owning with its absurd fire rate. When I'd play Blast mode, I would shamelessly use DH-17 because I knew at least half the other team had one. I typically used the Scan Pulse or whatever it was called and jetpack.

They'd add DLC and put another layer of cheese back on like the Bacta Bomb you mentioned lol

I suspect this game has multiple layers too. It's just taken longer for them to manifest with this progression system.
  • Idk man, I was able to do some real cheesy TL-50 roll Jump jet cheese in 2015. Like obnoxious killings and sprees. Had that maneuver down to a science. Even memorized the arc/drop of the TL-50 secondary fire from almost any distance.

Not just yours :-)
  • bfloo
    13353 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

You were the type of player I enjoyed owning or watching good Bossk players feast on :)

I'm not saying the first game was a great shooter, it was just a fun, cheesy game.

This game is missing the fun factor, despite having better overall mechanics.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Feedermo
    134 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    I just hope that red dead redemption 2 for PC comes out on the scheduled date.
    Meanwhile, I'm going to play this and something else, but EA will not cheat on me again.
    8st0mz1zn27y.jpg
  • Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    The only thing that would impact Battlefront is if Battlefield 2018 has battle royale (which it probably will) since they would recently have to have moved assets to work on the gamemode. Aside from that everything was probably planned for Battlefield 2018 a while ago.
  • EvazanJr wrote: »
    The only thing that would impact Battlefront is if Battlefield 2018 has battle royale (which it probably will) since they would recently have to have moved assets to work on the gamemode. Aside from that everything was probably planned for Battlefield 2018 a while ago.

A Battle Royale mode in Battlefield? That actually would be really cool. Imagine if it included all the same vehicles on the map lol. Rumor is the setting will be WW2 like the original Battlefield 1942, so my guess is Battle Royale wont happen.
  • DarthJ
    5416 posts Member
    It shouldnt affect this game at all. Considering DICE LA deal with Battlefield currently, and this is DICE Sweden. Might take a couple of people off them if that
    41st Forum Fury Battalion Founder PSN: ibrajoker59