criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

Heros VS Villains...but with Starfighter Assault?

SrawDawg
1024 posts Member
Imagine a 5v5 or 6v6 layout like HvV but with the hero starfighters vs the villain starfighters ONLY (or with a few AI ships also as just something else to fire at). But IF you have the hero ship unlocked you can use it here just like in HvV. All the SA maps could be used but without objectives. This seems like something feasible and not too difficult for the programmers to try out in an update.

Does this seem like a worthy addition down the road? What do you folks think? Would anyone else besides me be interested to see that added in a future update?

Replies

• A great idea and they have enough ships for it.

It would certainly make the hero ship milestones a little easier.
  • Didn’t someone just suggest this?
  • SrawDawg
    1024 posts Member
    Stalemate wrote: »
    A great idea and they have enough ships for it.

It would certainly make the hero ship milestones a little easier.

Thanks for giving your opinion! It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do for them but hey what do I know about programming? If you did the hero ships by themselves it would be the SA mirror to HvV, if you added AI bot ships also it would then be the mirror to GA.
  • SrawDawg
    1024 posts Member
    EvazanJr wrote: »
    Didn’t someone just suggest this?

I don't know, do you have a link to a forum thread or comment?
  • SrawDawg
    1024 posts Member
    GreenMarc wrote: »

Thanks for the links, I will try to include as many of them as I can when talking about this in the future.
  • It's something I've commented on in other threads and hope to see added at some point especially if and when we get more Hero ships like Bossk's Z-95 / Nashtah Pup for example or Obi Wan & Anakin's Starfighters.

They could even make it similar to the current HVV by making one ship on each side the target.

Make it so please DICE.
  • hsf_
    1918 posts Member
    Can't see it happening, they would seriously need to rebalance the hero ships and in some cases, completely rework them. The Falcon and Slave 1 would never get picked, because they're too easy to kill, plus Seismic Charge won't kill any of the hero ships that are above 1000 health. You wouldn't be able to have the big open maps like Ryloth or Fondor, as it would just end up being a looping fest, with everyone wanting to be Kylo or Tallie.
    If they made Slave 1 and the Falcon(s) exempt from SAHvV, used maps like phase 2 Unknown Regions then it may work.

I'd just like to clarify, I am all in favour of an SAHvV mode, but I just don't think it will happen, as the work load would be very high.
  • lowell
    1740 posts Member
    It would be cool to play as the Ghost if they add it eventually. It was in the Battle of Scarif in Rogue One. And Phantom I & II if possible.
  • Starfighter combat is already boring.

The hero ships operate exactly like the regular ships. What's the point of having a hero ship mode?
  • milkAcat wrote: »
    Starfighter combat is already boring.

The hero ships operate exactly like the regular ships. What's the point of having a hero ship mode?

So does that mean there's no point in having a Heroes vs Villains mode since all heroes move around like all the other regular troopers? Flying is so unique of a thing that each and every ship should operate in its own way? Hate to break it to that single track of a brain you got there, but when you actually think about it,all starfighters in all of Star Wars have the same control. Hold the steering mechanism, point where to go. It's not complicated.
  • SrawDawg
    1024 posts Member
    It's something I've commented on in other threads and hope to see added at some point especially if and when we get more Hero ships like Bossk's Z-95 / Nashtah Pup for example or Obi Wan & Anakin's Starfighters.

They could even make it similar to the current HVV by making one ship on each side the target.

Make it so please DICE.

Thanks for the comment, it would be interesting if Bossk finally got his ship, and I also really hope the devs listen to these comments and add this mode to the game!
  • SrawDawg
    1024 posts Member
    hsf_ wrote: »
    Can't see it happening, they would seriously need to rebalance the hero ships and in some cases, completely rework them. The Falcon and Slave 1 would never get picked, because they're too easy to kill, plus Seismic Charge won't kill any of the hero ships that are above 1000 health. You wouldn't be able to have the big open maps like Ryloth or Fondor, as it would just end up being a looping fest, with everyone wanting to be Kylo or Tallie.
    If they made Slave 1 and the Falcon(s) exempt from SAHvV, used maps like phase 2 Unknown Regions then it may work.

I'd just like to clarify, I am all in favour of an SAHvV mode, but I just don't think it will happen, as the work load would be very high.

Thanks for your opinion on this. I'm not a programmer so I honestly have no idea how difficult this would be if even possible to begin with. And as you have pointed out there would be things that would probably have to be addressed with the balancing, spawn points, health, ion blasting, and map sizes, etc etc. Hey it might be a big looping fest, I don't know, but I would love to give it a try and just see what happened.

In ways I think it might "hopefully" play out much like a HvV matc (in reality that may not be the case), the Jedi's wielding sabers would be "looping" while someone sat back and has a turkey shoot. I think this kind of flanking could certainly have the potential to break at least some loops, but not all. I see what you are saying about the Unknown Regions map.

• SrawDawg
    1024 posts Member
    lowell wrote: »
    It would be cool to play as the Ghost if they add it eventually. It was in the Battle of Scarif in Rogue One. And Phantom I & II if possible.

Yeah definitely, thanks for checking out this thread.
  • SVEJ
    1162 posts Member
    SrawDawg wrote: »
    Imagine a 5v5 or 6v6 layout like HvV but with the hero starfighters vs the villain starfighters ONLY (or with a few AI ships also as just something else to fire at). But IF you have the hero ship unlocked you can use it here just like in HvV. All the SA maps could be used but without objectives. This seems like something feasible and not too difficult for the programmers to try out in an update.

Does this seem like a worthy addition down the road? What do you folks think? Would anyone else besides me be interested to see that added in a future update?

Thats kinda hard to do since the light side is allowed 3 hero ships and the dark side is only allowed 2 hero ships in starfighter assault, not sure how they would manage a 5v5 hvv gamemode.
  • SrawDawg
    1024 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    milkAcat wrote: »
    Starfighter combat is already boring.

Well hey thats your opinion man, its cool, thanks for checking out this thread. I personally bought this game for Starfighter Assault and the Fondor map. But I have nothing against the other maps and modes, I play HvV pretty regular now, a little GA, and rarely play Blast or the others.

"The hero ships operate exactly like the regular ships. What's the point of having a hero ship mode?" This question is most likely out of my league but I will try to answer it. On the one hand I do see your point on some issues though.

They all have speed control, blasters or missiles, yes, but as of yet, there is no way to pick these ships without having battlepoints during the match, and also having the ships unlocked by spending credits. Which I guess makes them a bit of a "prize" to shoot toward. I guess you could liken it to having a tank in Left4Dead or a drone Alien molting into a queen Alien (like a tank) in AVP2 multiplayer. But as of now I don't personally see the point in upgrading the hero ships individually. I do get cards for them though in crates and I always appreciate that. But I doubt I will spend parts to upgrade them unless this mode is added or SA is added to arcade.

But do these ships guarantee you will get a kill or more kills or something? Not exactly...but there is some small things that do separate at least some of the hero ships from the default fighter, interceptor, and bomber. For example, Vader's TIE advanced is capable of TWO laser barrages before a cool down period unlike the fighter. There is strategy there. And you do become a target in something like the Falcon which usually racks up quite a line of enemy traffic behind it.

And I think its also an aesthetic thing for most people. The thought they are getting to use such ships. Which goes back to all the merchandising and the toys and model kits going back over 35 years. Certain ships have a certain look and sound. Listen closely to the Millenium Falcon's engines and blasters and its the same Ben Burt sound FX from way back when (though I imagine they are continuously digitally tweaked still today), and it still looks like the Millennium Falcon, people see that and hear it and recognize it. And they hear the voices (and music) associated with the Star Wars heros and villains inside the ships. I guess this adds to the experience for them. Considering you don't get to use them automatically it adds a tension and desire to use them because you normally can't. Its like living and working in the city limits and driving a Lamborghini, like living in an apartment complex and having a 4x12 cabinet and 500 watt Marshall head (guitar amp) to push it. Things you never get to crank up...usually...

Starfighter Assault on this game to me feels like a multiplayer Rogue Squadron. But then, this game to me feels like a combination of many of the really good Star Wars games over the last 20 years. Rogue Squadron, Republic Commando, Jedi Knight 2 MP, The Force unleashed.

And finally, this thread is about the possibility of an alternate mode for Starfighter Assault using hero and villain ships, meant to play out like Heros VS Villains.
  • Seronax
    548 posts Member
    edited April 2018

Every word of what you just said was wrong my friend :D If its a 4v4 like HvV The falcon and Slave1 would be great pick cause of their burst and toughness, also that time your teammates will taking care your back 100% + Slave 1 can destroy everything until 2.5k HP so most heroships on the rebel side would be Rekt if they dont find any cover.

Open maps are indeed bad for Slave1 or Falcon but Fondor isnt Opened fully, It has Tunnels, tons of covers, personally love that map cause it has many way to escape, even with the Falcon.
    Unknown region is one of those maps which is super opened, not many covers there, just few asteroids or the phase one part where only small ships or the falcon could fit.

But if they would make events like"Ewok Hunt" just with SA, like u have ai and player controlod ships, u have to escape from the Death Star's core, that would be exciting to do,
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

• hsf_
    1918 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Seronax wrote: »

Every word of what you just said was wrong my friend :D If its a 4v4 like HvV The falcon and Slave1 would be great pick cause of their burst and toughness, also that time your teammates will taking care your back 100% + Slave 1 can destroy everything until 2.5k HP so most heroships on the rebel side would be Rekt if they dont find any cover.

Open maps are indeed bad for Slave1 or Falcon but Fondor isnt Opened fully, It has Tunnels, tons of covers, personally love that map cause it has many way to escape, even with the Falcon.
    Unknown region is one of those maps which is super opened, not many covers there, just few asteroids or the phase one part where only small ships or the falcon could fit.

But if they would make events like"Ewok Hunt" just with SA, like u have ai and player controlod ships, u have to escape from the Death Star's core, that would be exciting to do,

Not every word I say is wrong(I'm prepared to admit to some wrongs), balancing would be an enormous issue. You are right about the Falcon being a tank, and Rey especially would survive an onslaught while your team take out the target no problem. However, there are easy counters to Boba Fett's Siezmic charge, such as Yoda who would be used solely to counter Slave 1, very much like Chewy in HvV vs Boba, that's the only time I use him, or I try and persuade the Chewy on our team to focus Boba.

Fondor is a very open map, there are large distances between cover, especially on phase 1 and phase 3. Unknown regions is literally filled with small, medium and large asteroids, and is similar in respects to Deathstar Debris, only Phase 1 is fairly open. Kamino, Deathstar Debris and Unknown Regions phase 2 would be my personal picks, as it would require higher navigation skills to dominate and not just the most over powered ship.

I actually like your idea about making it similar to Ewok Hunt, that would be quite interesting to see. I was actually thinking that a heroes only mode in SA would in my opinion need to be Co-op vs AI, rather than PvP, as the balancing issue's would be immense, causing more development setbacks and slowing down the progress of the game entirely(like the progression system already has done). You could maybe make it like a horde mode or something.
    Post edited by hsf_ on
  • Seronax
    548 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    I think what we need more than anything, is a co-op vs AI mode for the heroships instead, it makes more sense considering nearly everything about this game is PvP, we are missing a PvE element(don't insult me by saying Arcade...).

Agreed, even arcade would be nice though i wanna practice some tricks, flyin in small places with High speed etc.
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

• Id rather see them opening up the Hero Ships in regular SA to 5v5, double or tripple the score earned in the gamemode.

Right now, SA is the worst mode to level your overall game level, and to level units.

By tripling the Score, Hero Ships would be much cheaper, more people would play them more often, and we would level faster.

Also, it would not split the community.

My last argument is that, Hero Ships are usually the hunted, and not the hunters.

Making them cheap would also encourage more risk and pto play with them, because currently the best strategy is to stay back and kill AI.
  • Seronax
    548 posts Member
    edited April 2018

My last argument is that, Hero Ships are usually the hunted, and not the hunters.

Making them cheap would also encourage more risk and pto play with them, because currently the best strategy is to stay back and kill AI.

If i am lucky I can get a hero ship in their era less than 1min, so it would be even faster to me to get them, also i am not dying with them fast so the situation woulndt change much compared to that what we have now. If good pilots play with HeroShips they usually stomps the matches. The Falcon is the only ship which needs some backup if the enemy is hanging on her and u cant lose them but the other ships can eat everyone pretty fast.
    3b81ofd486mu.jpg

• DrX2345
    2888 posts Member
    Tbh it's probably a better idea to just have no limit or a higher limit on the amount of hero Starfighters available in a game. It's not like GA, the heroes are generally a little underwhelming and not difficult to take out if you're a semi-competent team. They also can't go on ridiculous killstreaks like in GA, so there's not really a reason to not have this. The only exception I would make is limiting it so that if Han's Falcon is in play, Rey's Falcon can't be chosen and vice versa. That's one step too far.
    OOM19 wrote: »

Imagine it

A horde of Bipedal Millennium Falcons with cheeseburgers for legs
    If there seems to be random words or phrases in my post that don't make sense, blame Autocorrect.
    #COOMCAIBDJF
  • SVEJ
    1162 posts Member
    Terrible idea, heroes would always win, 2 falcons with huge amount of health? like what? no way don't even bother with this game mode.
  • I am all for some alternative that will help with the hero ship grind.
    HvV for hero ships would be fun, but there is much re balancing that would need to happen.
    Darth Maul can one burst the Hero fighters coming out of stealth. (Just learned how to assassinate people with this technique and it is a bit OP).

• Tallround75
    115 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    SVEJ wrote: »
    Terrible idea, heroes would always win, 2 falcons with huge amount of health? like what? no way don't even bother with this game mode.

It’s actually the opposite. Darth Maul’s scimitar with purple cards in the right slots can kill Solo with a single 4 second burst. It kills Rey is about 10 seconds. If the other light side hero ships were all bunched up, it would kill 3 of them in 4 seconds.

Dark side has the best ships by a long shot. Maul, Fett and Ren.

• Ren and Maul are Falcon killers, and Slave I's seismic charge can one shot almost everything else. The sheer damage the dark side does is a counter to the light's heavy durability and maneuverability.
  • the devs don't care enough about star fighter assault to do anything like that.
  • nas9091
    125 posts Member
    This has to be done, surprised the devs haven’t done it already.
  • SrawDawg
    1024 posts Member
    nas9091 wrote: »
    This has to be done, surprised the devs haven’t done it already.

It does seem like a no brainer, even it its silly and out of balanced. Though if not there must be a reason.
  • SrawDawg
    1024 posts Member
    I am unsure if there might be a rule to not bump a thread when you are last comment. Just wanted to say thanks to all parties who made this new mode happen. Will offer more feedback as time goes by.