criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Credit and Blame Where They are Due

Perhaps now, knowing that EA's corporate structure restricts certain communication, that Disney/Lucasfilm need to approve any and all public, "Official" announcements, maybe people can start cutting Dennis and the developers some slack since they have to work under this?

If they fail to deliver quality content, or fail to fix weapon issues like DC-15e ES, then by all means, offer your criticism. Let them hear it. But at least on the communication issue, I think we should stop giving the developers so much grief. That would be like blaming the State of Michigan for some Federal law. Direct your criticism to the people responsible, not the people that have no choice.

Replies

• stevenomes
    4640 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    I think if that was really the case they could have said this year's ago instead of just recently. And more people would be understanding as to where to direct their anger. I know someone mentioned on the forums before there are also NDAs out there that restrict communication, hence we get "soon". If the fixes were coming in quickly I think it would be a lesser issue as well. The lag and rubberbanding/ spinners issue went on for weeks and that was right around end of the year. I know I stopped playing for a month then to wait for the fix. There are many games coming out that will divert people's attention from this one so time is of the essence to salvage any future plans. I'd there is silence for weeks and weeks, with no new fun content tk keep then going, people will start losing interest.
  • Don't really know what to give credit for atm.
  • Why? DICE are to blame.

They made the game. They made the progression system. They made BF1 so shallow that no one bought the DLCs so it split the player base thus creating no paid DLC for BF2 and MTX to pay for it that hasn't worked so far.

You seem to defend Dennis at every turn even when it's been pointed out the amount of times he's mislead people since BF1.

What is your obsession with trying to absolve Dennis and DICE from any blame.

To be honest I think they're all to blame for this fiasco of a game.

To get sure, there's plenty of blame to be shared.

Are you friends with Dennis or something?

Did you see Sledgehammers tweets? He made it very clear that corporate was stopping them from communicating (also a part of the reason he’s leaving) and BF1 was very different because of paid DLCs. Since it was a product people paid for they had leeway to speak about it. It’s not the case this time around because all the content we get is free. BattlefrontUpdates and StarWars HQ both made YouTube videos about it today if you can’t find the tweets.

As for Dennis I’ve seen his responses and to me he comes off as a guy living between a rock and a hard place. EA/Disney being the Rock and us (the community) being the hard place. Cut the guy some slack geez. He’s literally doing all that he’s allowed to.
  • Policy of restricting communication to your customers doesn't sound like a good one.
  • KingGio21 wrote: »
    Why? DICE are to blame.

They made the game. They made the progression system. They made BF1 so shallow that no one bought the DLCs so it split the player base thus creating no paid DLC for BF2 and MTX to pay for it that hasn't worked so far.

You seem to defend Dennis at every turn even when it's been pointed out the amount of times he's mislead people since BF1.

Did you see Sledgehammers tweets? He made it very clear that corporate was stopping them from communicating (also a part of the reason he’s leaving) and BF1 was very different because of paid DLCs. Since it was a product people paid for they had leeway to speak about it. It’s not the case this time around because all the content we get is free. BattlefrontUpdates and StarWars HQ both made YouTube videos about it today if you can’t find the tweets.

As for Dennis I’ve seen his responses and to me he comes off as a guy living between a rock and a hard place. EA/Disney being the Rock and us (the community) being the hard place. Cut the guy some slack geez. He’s literally doing all that he’s allowed to.

I've seen the response and the tweets so what it really comes down to is if you believe them or not.

Some do, no problem. My opinion is I don't believe them. Simple.

So I don't think people should get off DICE and the Devs back as I think they're to blame.

I'm still not sure how people not happy with DICE and Dennis effects you and the Op?

When you're talking about a millions of pounds potential profit and and one of the most popular IPs ever, you should have broad shoulders and be able to accept criticism. It doesn't need people here to defend them as you get what for doing it again?
  • KingGio21 wrote: »
    KingGio21 wrote: »
    Why? DICE are to blame.

I've seen the response and the tweets so what it really comes down to is if you believe them or not.

Some do, no problem. My opinion is I don't believe them. Simple.

So I don't think people should get off DICE and the Devs back as I think they're to blame.

I'm still not sure how people not happy with DICE and Dennis effects you and the Op?

When you're talking about a millions of pounds potential profit and and one of the most popular IPs ever, you should have broad shoulders and be able to accept criticism. It doesn't need people here to defend them as you get what for doing it again?

I mean you have the right to believe what you want. I’m not telling you what you should do. I personally have been playing EA’s rendidtion of Battlefront since BF1 launch and let’s be honest we as a community have been taking daily dumps on DICE and EA. I’m not saying all of the criticism is unfounded or even unfair. All I’m saying is we’ve been doing the same thing (complaining) for what? Going on 3 years? Maybe it’s time to change tactics and chill out a bit is all I’m saying because obviously our current methods don’t produce results. I feel it’s just going to make the game die faster than it is already. I dont want EA/Dice to lose the license and have to wait 5-10 years for another Star Wars multiplayer game. I want EA/Dice to get better. Grandma always told me you catch more flys with honey than vinegar anyways. Maybe it’s just me.

I've said this often as well. And also continually say to expect the absolute least. Considering our experience with bf2015 we should know the communication will not change no matter how much we rant on the forums. People are banging their heads against the wall trying to get answers that we know won't come. It's no way to enjoy the game. Im going to try and play today hopefully I enjoy it more than usual.
  • Well, this is the official EA forums, so where else are people supposed to go to express frustration?

It may very well be EA causing this, but this is the place for them to see that. I don't blame Sledgehammer for leaving. He's a community manager not being allowed to do his job.

But it still all comes back to a delivered product riddled with serious issues. A delivered product that is a sequel to another product that also had serious issues. This after EA comes out on stage at E3 last year saying they heard us loud and clear. They announced free DLC then, which I'm sure is mostly due to the fact the 2015 Season Pass was viewed by most as a rip off.

This is two for two, so it's going to be extra hard for DICE to escape criticism. And the decision to prioritize the progression system rework is only magnifying the outrage, since that means all promised DLC is put on hold. It might have been best to stick with the original DLC schedule, but work on this revamped progression system in the background. Then this summer roll out the new progression system.

At this point, players have used the current system for 4 months and most probably could care less anymore.
  • Perhaps now, knowing that EA's corporate structure restricts certain communication, that Disney/Lucasfilm need to approve any and all public, "Official" announcements, maybe people can start cutting Dennis and the developers some slack since they have to work under this?

If they fail to deliver quality content, or fail to fix weapon issues like DC-15e ES, then by all means, offer your criticism. Let them hear it. But at least on the communication issue, I think we should stop giving the developers so much grief. That would be like blaming the State of Michigan for some Federal law. Direct your criticism to the people responsible, not the people that have no choice.

This is true and I agree 100%. This may be the first time I have agreed with you since battlefront 2015
  • stevenomes wrote: »
    I think if that was really the case they could have said this year's ago instead of just recently. And more people would be understanding as to where to direct their anger. I know someone mentioned on the forums before there are also NDAs out there that restrict communication, hence we get "soon". If the fixes were coming in quickly I think it would be a lesser issue as well. The lag and rubberbanding/ spinners issue went on for weeks and that was right around end of the year. I know I stopped playing for a month then to wait for the fix. There are many games coming out that will divert people's attention from this one so time is of the essence to salvage any future plans. I'd there is silence for weeks and weeks, with no new fun content to keep them going, people will start losing interest.

You're right about that last part, and that's the risk you take I guess. You can't do anything about EA's corporate mindset, and it probably wouldn't occur either to EA to explain it, or to the Developers to understand it. Chalk that up to the consumer base just not understanding how this kind of business works. I certainly didn't, but I don't fret about stuff I can't change.
  • Why? DICE are to blame.

No I am not, but that would be fun.

I refer you back to Paragraph 2, Sentence 3 of my OP: "But at least on the communication issue, I think we should stop giving the developers so much grief."

I am not absolving Dennis or DICE from blame regarding where the game is technically deficient. DICE as a whole ought to take some blame for the original progression system, but also blame EA overall for the pressure to institute the idea. It works on Madden, it didn't here. The Design Director at the time is responsible for the way it was instituted. He was sacked/resigned/moved on.

Dennis should be held accountable for anything he himself Has been solely responsible for, which is I'm sure what will happen when people hate the new progression system.

Also, I'm not sure where you get this idea that Dennis misleads people. Perhaps that explains why he might not be so quick to "communicate" given that things may not always end up the way he says it will.
  • Perhaps now, knowing that EA's corporate structure restricts certain communication, that Disney/Lucasfilm need to approve any and all public, "Official" announcements, maybe people can start cutting Dennis and the developers some slack since they have to work under this?

9bdix39egves.gif
  • KlownShueS wrote: »
    This is true and I agree 100%. This may be the first time I have agreed with you since battlefront 2015

Well thanks for saying so! :-D
    Well, this is the official EA forums, so where else are people supposed to go to express frustration?

No where else, of course. But again, frustration over lack of communication should be blamed on the apparent restraints brought on by Quarterly Corporate dumbness, not DICE themselves. Blame it on the Owner Company holding back the Subsidiary.
    But it still all comes back to a delivered product riddled with serious issues...
    This is two for two, so it's going to be extra hard for DICE to escape criticism.

And notice I don't criticize anyone for complaining about the DC-15e ES, or the Blurrg, or the Wookiees being OP, or whatever else. I criticize people for the way they complain, with adolescent name-calling and over-emotional whining, and saying Developers are lazy, don't care, or any other motive- or virtue-signaling. We don't know the technical reasons why a particular nerf/buff/fix has yet to be instituted. It's wrong to think that they're sitting back laughing at the High Skills being pwned by the Try Hards with ES.
    And the decision to prioritize the progression system rework is only magnifying the outrage, since that means all promised DLC is put on hold. It might have been best to stick with the original DLC schedule, but work on this revamped progression system in the background. Then this summer roll out the new progression system. At this point, players have used the current system for 4 months and most probably could care less anymore.

Honestly this is my only qualm about it. They run the risk of so many people just having given up on the game, that a change in progression won't make much of a difference, unless accompanied by some sort of marketing campaign/media blitz. Dennis will likely be all over the YouTubers talking about this.

I assume that when the game received such a poor response, and EA came out with their big "We didn't get this right" message before the game even launched worldwide, and with pressure from Disney/Lucasfilm, that the corporate bosses tasked DICE with fixing it before Fiscal Year 2019, which begins April 1st, as we've learned from the recent information. That likely accounts for the decision to do it now, so that EA can make some better quarterly forecasts, and they can hit the ground running with a better roadmap for FY 2019.
  • Revan1
    326 posts Member
    My main problem lies with EA - Why rush a games’ development, then market it as a “live-service” game when there’s absolutely 0 communication and business regulations prevent them from disclosing future content? Seriously, EA is such a joke of a company hearing that news didn’t surprise me at all. Let alone the fact that their ex-community manager took it upon himself to explain the poor communication, none of EA’s top-level officials even cared enough to clarify this for us. EA really has handled this game so poorly, so far probably even worse than BF1, but Disney could care less as long as they’re making profits.... what a joke
  • acc751
    861 posts Member
    i think they deserve hate because they haven't released 50 clone wars seasons yet duh :tongue:
    Many of the arguments we have about this game would not exist if this was a single player focused game like it should have been since day 1.
  • DarthJ
    6051 posts Member
    Also, I'm not sure where you get this idea that Dennis misleads people. Perhaps that explains why he might not be so quick to "communicate" given that things may not always end up the way he says it will.

I'm sure I remember you around here when the first game came out - hero blast and death star skins ring any bells? Or have you chosen to conveniently forget about them when trying to absolve Dennis in particular of any blame?

PSN: ibrajoker59
  • Revan1 wrote: »
    My main problem lies with EA - Why rush a games’ development, then market it as a “live-service” game when there’s absolutely 0 communication and business regulations prevent them from disclosing future content? Seriously, EA is such a joke of a company hearing that news didn’t surprise me at all. Let alone the fact that their ex-community manager took it upon himself to explain the poor communication, none of EA’s top-level officials even cared enough to clarify this for us. EA really has handled this game so poorly, so far probably even worse than BF1, but Disney could care less as long as they’re making profits.... what a joke

The "rush to development" and "0 communication" do not go together.

What they did was massively screw up from the beginning with the way the MTX structure was built. At that point, once they decided to change gears and overhaul progression, the "live service" aspect was put on hold. The zero communication and disclosure restrictions apply only to the fact that they probably were never entirely sure what it was going to look like until after the redesign was tested and approved. Once all the approvals happen and we get the upcoming reveal, then the lins of communication open back up again.

As far as EA top-levels explaining anything? *shrug* That's EA for you.
  • DarthJ
    6051 posts Member
    Revan1 wrote: »

The "rush to development" and "0 communication" do not go together.

What they did was massively screw up from the beginning with the way the MTX structure was built. At that point, once they decided to change gears and overhaul progression, the "live service" aspect was put on hold. The zero communication and disclosure restrictions apply only to the fact that they probably were never entirely sure what it was going to look like until after the redesign was tested and approved. Once all the approvals happen and we get the upcoming reveal, then the lins of communication open back up again.

As far as EA top-levels explaining anything? *shrug* That's EA for you.

Aside from my point above - I do genuinely hope you are right. At the end of it all, we all want to see this game succeed.
  • dada_shift
    1730 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Disney is more to blame than anything else
    They have botched this new trilogy reboot..
    Their Toy line for the last jedi was a joke.
    They put restraint on EA/DICE for any kind of communication

In the begining of this games launch ..I'm sure EA is responsible for the failed mtx/prog system since it's in all of their other recent titles
    That mess is on them.And like someone else just said..the games been out months..who cares about the prog system now other than n00bs.. cuz us day 1 players are already far beyond that.

DICE has made 2 beautiful looking and sounding games...

It was EA and Disney's push to get DICE strapped to an unconventional time line which leaves these games full of bugs and shipped with low content ...so they can be on track with the new films (which are a joke)

Add that all up.. and you get one corporation to blame.

Disney
  • DarthJ
    6051 posts Member
    dada_shift wrote: »

In the begining of this games launch ..I'm sure EA is responsible for the failed mtx/prog system since it's in all of their other recent titles
    That mess is on them.And like someone else just said..the games been out months..who cares about the prog system now other than n00bs.. cuz us day 1 players are already far beyond that.

It was EA and Disney's push to get DICE strapped to an unconventional time line which leaves these games full of bugs and shipped with low content ...so they can be on track with the new films (which are a joke)

Disney

holey moley my brother when did you make a comeback
  • DarthJ wrote: »

Disney

holey moley my brother when did you make a comeback

I'm always lurking in the shadows
    Bringing Truth and Justice to the dark parts of the web
  • Bamsmacked88
    207 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Why? DICE are to blame.

Dice doesn't have clean hands in this but EA is mostly responsible for the state of this game. EA is 90% responsible.

The marching orders come from EA, and Dice follows them. IF EA tells them to make a game in 3 months that will include micro transactions to maximize profit while reducing production costs -- Dice will have to follow. I'm sure there is plenty of discontent within Dice, and the Quality group over there probably bangs their head against the wall.

Someone in EA with a magic wand overrides Quality Assurance, all their problems and issues with the game obviously get nulled and void and the product ships anyway.

I take it you never have worked in a field where your company is responsible for delivering a product into the market place -- but I have my whole life. I've seen more times than not, quality having issues with the current state of product from car parts, food, all the way to medicine but someone waves the "magical wand" despite discontent from quality and it goes out anyway. Video games are no exception to that rule.

When companies get as big as EA, Quality doesn't matter -- the quality side within the company only exists to make thinks appear orderly and regulated.
  • univurshul
    1667 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    we good. strategize w/some relaxation..gotta return refreshed vs. drained my bros. They're working on it..

giphy.gif
    Let's all remember that Luke's hand didn't clank to the stone when he vanished....Everything organic disappears as a force ghost. The in-organic stays...

• hsf_
    1613 posts Member
    EA and Disney have both been controversial since I can remember. Disney for selling sex to kids stuff with the purity rings, plus the way almost every single child actor that goes through Disney, usually ends up in a looney bin. And EA for releasing of hideously unfinished products, the "you're just meat with wallets" attitude towards it's customer base and FIFA.

It's been known for a while that both companies are polished turds.
    85516918.jpg
  • Nice photo of Alec Guinness above. My gripe with EA/Dice/Disney, inter alia, is that they have transformed Obi Wan into a pariah. With zero explanation. Lame.
  • Is it too early to say "EA's failure is now complete" in the dearth Vader voice?
  • stevenomes wrote: »
    Is it too early to say "EA's failure is now complete" in the dearth Vader voice?

No, I think the time is just right.

;)
  • Indiana_Jim
    2041 posts Member
    edited March 2018

Disney

I'm sure many would disagree with the new trilogy reboot being "botched." There has been way too much box office success and general license profit to call it "botched." Whether you like the story or not is an entirely different sort of deal. Hasbro is the toy maker, and they have long gone the way of EA.

Disney/Lucasfilm owns the copyright, but it's the licensees--the ones who make the games--that want to capitalize on the film's release.

They did not "rush" Battlefront 2. They had plenty of time, and released a very full and robust game. All games have bugs. But everything went on hold because the MTX structure was terrible.

You can try blaming Disney, but it just doesn't hold with the facts.
  • Reguardless of what my opinion is on the new trilogy and it's correlation to battlefront is here nor there.
    Ill stick with what I said

2 years is enough time to finish a game,yes
    With little content and major issues that is.
    And that's what we have gotten
    True?....true

Quality company's like CDPR take time to develop amazing titles ... that are amazing at launch
    Not keep its fan base begging for more content
    A month after release and screaming for updates 6 months later
    That's how good game company's do business
    Maybe you like to pay for sub par merchandise
    I dont.
    Especially when it comes to Star Wars
    I have spent thousands of dollars on merch and have been a fan since 1978.
    These last 2 games...while beautiful to the eyes and ears...lacks game quality content
    CDPR has been in production with cyberpunk 2077 since 2013 with a rumored release date late 2019....
    Thats 6 years of game making..and when it comes out...will be absolutely ground breaking

What we have here with Disney and EA is a cash grab
    Plain and simple
  • That's your opinion

But the fact is..2 years is not enough time to put out a quality game

That should be very obvious

Cdpr has been in production on Cyberpunk 2077 since 2013...with rumored release late 2019
    And they release quality games
    Not half a game full of problems
    That's what a 2 year turn around gets you
  • dada_shift wrote: »

Disney

I'm sure many would disagree with the new trilogy reboot being "botched." There has been way too much box office success and general license profit to call it "botched." Whether you like the story or not is an entirely different sort of deal. Hasbro is the toy maker, and they have long gone the way of EA.

Disney/Lucasfilm owns the copyright, but it's the licensees--the ones who make the games--that want to capitalize on the film's release.

They did not "rush" Battlefront 2. They had plenty of time, and released a very full and robust game. All games have bugs. But everything went on hold because the MTX structure was terrible.

So we can't blame Disney as you just make clear. And we can't blame lucasfilm because they're such great guys. We can't blame dice because they're just a little man on the totem pole. So we're just going to lay it all at the feet of Electronic Arts over MTX.

I really look forward to the progression drop and all the disappointment that is going to happen.

People are literally going to go, "that's it". The idea that a roadmap is held up over this progression revamp is still pretty weak
    41st.org Founder "Where the Game is Winnable."

are-you-threatening-me-gif.gif
  • "The idea that a roadmap is held up over this progression revamp is still pretty weak"

Absolutely Tank

Smoke and mirrors man.

Simple fact is we got another partial game for a full price.
    **** who's to blame at this point.

We should have had private servers or matchs DAY 1.. the competitive community and teams have been forced to just steam roll pubs and that's just no fun. No capture mode for consoles
    Those are 2 simple out of the gate multiplayer game functions that should have been since launch and there is still no word on either

Screw the road map..let me get my team to play other teams...thats where the fun is at
    Or making videos.. those 2 things alone would have kept intrest in this game until the give us a finish product
  • Yes @dada_shift

People are pretty upset about matchmaking and Balance but if clans could play clans it would help a lot of that.

And man this point two years ago all the videos. Unbelievable.

• The squeaking wheel generally gets oiled OP but this wheel's been ignored for so long it's about to fall off.

• but it's the licensees--the ones who make the games--that want to capitalize on the film's release.

They did not "rush" Battlefront 2. They had plenty of time,

They rushed this games release for the very reason you stated above. This game would be much better had it been delayed another six months to a year. Four months post release, there’s no chance the game would be in the state it is in now.

We can absolutely blame Disney as well. They allowed EA to run around with the SW brand for ten years, unchecked by competition. That’s not been a good thing for us fans. Two rushed games, riddled with issues, others cancelled, not much on the horizon.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • DarthJ
    6051 posts Member
    I agree with @tankertoad and @dada_shift , we are the 3 Wise Men
  • @Piscettios they need to drop the movie tie in stuff. It's pointless and it hurts the game

• bfloo
    14061 posts Member
    Disney wouldn't restrict communication. If it wasn't for Disney, we'd still have a 'pay to get ahead' progression system.

I doubt Disney is happy.

I'm sure Disney has people watching these forums and the last thing Disney wants is unhappy Star Wars fans, especially after a lot of fans have had a bad reaction to TLJ and interest in Solo does not feel that strong.

All of my experiences with Disney have shown them to be more customer friendly than most.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Piscettios wrote: »
    We can absolutely blame Disney as well. They allowed EA to run around with the SW brand for ten years, unchecked by competition. That’s not been a good thing for us fans. Two rushed games, riddled with issues, others cancelled, not much on the horizon.

10 years? Are you drunk? Disney's only owned Lucasfilm for six, and EA's only had the license for four.
  • You guys need to chill out and go outside.
  • You guys need to chill out and go outside.

I really would like to but it's cold out there right now.
  • Piscettios wrote: »

10 years? Are you drunk? Disney's only owned Lucasfilm for six, and EA's only had the license for four.

I was, maybe ;)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-20-eas-star-wars-game-deal-lasts-a-decade

‘They will have allowed’

There.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • tankertoad wrote: »
    @Piscettios they need to drop the movie tie in stuff. It's pointless and it hurts the game

It worked in the days of Batman on the SNES, not so much anymore. Lol
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13