criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Forest of Endor

Iden Versio - Review

Iden Versio seems to be the definition of a mixed bag, and for me, she's pretty much in the middle. Introduced in the campaign, Iden is the leader of the elite-trooper squad titled Inferno Squad, who, along with Del Meeko, defected over to the rebellion after a mission on Vargos opens her eyes to the truth about the Empire. I don't want to delve into the campaign, so I'll be reviewing her forms in both GA and HvV.

Galactic Assault

Iden's gameplay in GA is very situational. Big maps are a big no-no for Iden, as her super low health pool and her lack of ranged arsenal make her no more than a buffed Heavy (and with the ES glitch more like a nerfed one). The smaller, more enclosed maps like DS2 is where she shines, with her super powerful primary and Stun Droid steamrolling the enemies if you know how to control her well. I find myself topping the leaderboards with Iden all the time using after quickly farming BP for her, and she's always my second or third pick, depending on the map. Once again, open maps like Jakku, Hoth and Endor aren't the best for her but she's excellent on DS2, Starkiller Base, and Crait.

Heroes vs. Villains

Once again, Iden's very situational, but instead of with maps it's with enemy heroes. Her health is way too low to run into the battle head on and gets demolished by every lightsaber hero in almost every situation. Along with Rey, Luke and Yoda, it's very difficult to win against Chewbacca as his Furious Bowcaster and normal bowcaster literally goes through her shield and kills you in a few hits. That being said, it's very possible to destroy all heroes. A very good Iden equipped with good star cards and smart uses of the secondary fire, primary and Stun Droid just melt away heroes, but if you're the same skill level as your opponent you'll likely lose. Whenever you're the target, be sure to have some backup. 1v1s, 2v1, and even 3v1s are likely to happen and you never want to go against a hero alone, so make sure somebody like Kylo or Vader is playing as your bodyguard to insure your win.

Kit

Iden has a pretty bad kit in general, with her three abilities being Stun Droid, Pulse Cannon and Droid Shield. Stun Droid after it's recent patch is a very strong ability, which stuns any unit in a decently sized radius for a good amount of time. This ability works well in both modes, especially HvV. The Droid Shield is pathetic as it doesn't have any situation where it's useful. All explosives pass right through it, along with sabers, deeming it useless against the broken ES glitch, Wookies and saber users. The Pulse Cannon is, well...

Pulse Cannon

The Pulse Cannon is a pathetic joke of an ability. The function of it is to be a sniper that you charge up, has high accuracy and damage output, and recharges quickly. While it is decently fast, the accuracy is so bad that you might as well be blindfolded and the damage output is bad so you need to hit head-shots every time for a kill. I've recently been farming the achievement for 50 kills with it, and while it's not the most difficult for me, it's taken me days to get half-way, and I often find myself using it as less of a range weapon and more of a shotgun, and it's way more effective that way. I'm near completing it so that second I see that the achievement is complete I'll probably not touch it again until the next patch if it even gets touched.

Primary Weapon

The TL-50, which is also available for the Heavy class, is the crown of Iden's kit. The rapid fire and long fire rate before overheating makes it strong on it's own, but the secondary fire is borderline overpowered. Instead of a zoom feature, if you hold the right trigger it'll launch a heavy-damaging shot that has a large splash radius. This goddess is such a beast. If you're ever in a pinch, you can roll around a corner and launch two of these babies to kill any enemy in your way. One of the biggest counters to saber heroes is this, as it's impossible to block, so if you aim it at their feet it'll deal damage to them countering their block. Against infantry it's almost always a kill and heroes die if you got a good aim.

Health

There was no way around talking about this. Iden's health is miserably terrible. Only higher than Boba, who has a jetpack to compensate, she stands at a measly 550, only regening 150 of that back. This creates the biggest problem for Iden. The Vanguard takes two shots to her back to knock her out, and heroes take very few slashes to kill, leading to situations where if Iden steps around the corner she's already going to be at half health, turning off most players from using her. She's almost impossible to survive with in GA, as three of the four classes are able to pick her off very quickly before she can get to them. It's more manageable in HvV but not by much, and her health is always an important issue to worry about.

Suggestions

Buff Pulse Cannon and Droid Shield. When two of her three abilities are garbage, you gotta know that there's something off. Increasing the accuracy and speed of the PC and having the DS block all explosives, then there will be situations where all abilities are actually useful.
Add a HPOK card. I don't want to call for a health buff as it's fine, but there needs to be a better way to regenerate health. Maybe called "Undying Inferno" or something, it would increase her pick rate through-out both modes.

Summary

Iden Versio is a well-rounded hero that is great in the right hands and has a use and disadvantage in every situation. There's no need to nerf her and while she needs a buff or two, I never can resist playing her, as she's such a fun character to use. I love how she holds up to all heroes and makes for a strong blaster hero, but not the best. I give her a 7/10. Thanks for reading my review on Iden Versio! I hope you enjoyed reading it, it took me a few hours of frustration and relief playing and writing about her. Remember, leave your opinions on Iden in the comments and what you thought of this blog. WreakerOfClash, out!

Replies

• In GA she's a sitting duck and always hunted down when not behind her team due to always being flanked from the radar that tracks her every move. Heal on kill should be available too all Heroes if the enemy always knows when they're coming. Its funny how rey has such a good kit, and can disappear from the radar, only really vader can compete with this. Most other Heroes are just left in the dust.
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif
  • Losercontrol
    544 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Delete
    Post edited by Losercontrol on
  • Losercontrol
    544 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Delete
    Post edited by Losercontrol on
  • Losercontrol
    544 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Delete
  • Losercontrol
    544 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Delete
  • Losercontrol
    544 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Delete

• Losercontrol
    544 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Delete

• Losercontrol
    544 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Delete
  • Losercontrol
    544 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Delete
  • Losercontrol
    544 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Delete
  • Losercontrol
    544 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Delete
  • Losercontrol
    544 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Delete
  • I'm a level 29 Iden. She's top tier in HvV, especially with epic Droid Batteries and epic Acquiring Targets card. I also use the Cooled Blaster Card but often unequip it so I can use her "Hope Cannot Save Them" emote where she puts a finger in your dead opponents face, pretty funny. Hopefully they fix the emotes so I can use 3 cards and emote, sigh..

In GA she's a ton of fun but one bad move and there's no recovering. I use epic Alternative Methods, epic Cooled Blaster and epic Droid Batteries. I also have epic Shield Sustain that gives 10 extra shield seconds that works well on open maps like Crait but since the buff to the stun droid I usually opt for the Droid Batteries.

Her Pulse Canon is totally worthless, I have not used it since getting the milestone. If they swapped that ability with a health boost ability like Phasma should would be perfect even with the low 550 and 150 health regain she has now. I think that's the best thing DICE could do with her.
  • Her PC zoom should be reworked.