criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

[Millennium Falcon] Still Way Too Slow

We've seen the Millennium Falcon outrun TIE fighters, slip through narrow crevasses, roll and dive with the best of them--even swat TIEs like flies in the Solo trailer. So why do we have an unmaneuverable WHALE in space? It is unthinkable that the "fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy" is the slowest ship in the game! With the engine upgrade card, the Falcon ought to be leaving fighters in the dust out there. It should be at least as fast as Interceptors, if not as fast as Kylo or Vader's ship. Same goes for Slave I. It needs to be faster, too.

Replies

• Rogozhi
    653 posts Member
    I just recently tried Luke's ship and man that thing hauls. It's crazy fast. The falcon should be at least comparable.
  • Rogozhi wrote: »
    I just recently tried Luke's ship and man that thing hauls. It's crazy fast. The falcon should be at least comparable.

Absolutely.
  • Like I've said elsewhere in some other thread, they might as well rename the Falcon "The Easy Target".
    "All 'Jedi' had was a bunch of muppets."
  • Yeah, I always found it strange the Falcon is said to be very fast in the movies, yet is incredibly slow in the game.
  • Given the fact that it's so massive it would help to have it move faster. I haven't played it that much so I can't say whether it needs any balancing, but if the Falcon needs a buff a speed boost seems ideal, if it needs a nerf then a speed boost coupled with a health decrease might be best.
  • Here is an example. A full minute and 8 seconds trying to evade a Droid Interceptor, complete with my own pathetic whining at the end!

• Rook008
    838 posts Member
    The "pathetic whining at the end" was hilarious, so +1 for that.

But what I usually do in that situation is play the Objective until I'm dead or try to find some teammates to get the attacker off of me. Trying to outrun or out-turn anything in the Falcon is pretty much a hopeless endeavor.

Anyway, I'm fine with the way the Falcon plays. It's unmatched at damaging Objectives.
    Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
  • Indiana_Jim
    2049 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    So... hit targets and hope your teammates save your butt? That's not the Millennium Falcon I remember! LOL
  • Here is an example. A full minute and 8 seconds trying to evade a Droid Interceptor, complete with my own pathetic whining at the end!

Yeah, it's nearly impossible to get rid of an interceptor that is attacking you with the Falcon, same goes for the Slave 1, though it at least has the seismic charge which will sometimes kill an interceptor that is following you like that. Falcon and Slave 1 definitely need a speed and turn rate boost.
  • Given the fact that it's so massive it would help to have it move faster. I haven't played it that much so I can't say whether it needs any balancing, but if the Falcon needs a buff a speed boost seems ideal, if it needs a nerf then a speed boost coupled with a health decrease might be best.

See... in space mass doesn't matter. The size of a ship should not affect its maneuverability, at least between a fighter and the Falcon. Between a fighter and a Star Destroyer yes, as a SD would require maneuvering thrusters that aren't as powerful as the Falcon's. The Falcon with it's large bank of turbocharged engines should be easily outrunning an interceptor with it's smaller one. That was the whole point of Han Solo making his "special modifications."

See... in space mass doesn't matter. The size of a ship should not affect its maneuverability, at least between a fighter and the Falcon. Between a fighter and a Star Destroyer yes, as a SD would require maneuvering thrusters that aren't as powerful as the Falcon's. The Falcon with it's large bank of turbocharged engines should be easily outrunning an interceptor with it's smaller one. That was the whole point of Han Solo making his "special modifications."
    Dude, that's not how space works.
  • Rook008
    838 posts Member
    So... hit targets and hope your teammates save your butt? That's not the Millennium Falcon I remember! LOL

I think they sacrificed some realism (in the Star Wars universe) for balance.

What would be cool is if they replaced the "Afterburner" ability with a "Hyperdrive" ability. It would have a longer cooldown, but almost instantly transport the Falcon to the edge of the map. It would be visually sweet as well.
    Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs

Dude, that's not how space works.

Is Star Wars how space works?

Mass is not an issue from a fighter to a freighter. If it is, then at least the Falcon has bigger engines to compensate. It's still faster.
  • Rook008 wrote: »

I think they sacrificed some realism (in the Star Wars universe) for balance.

Then they screwed the pooch on hero ships.
  • OK, posted elsewhere, but appropriate for this thread.

After looking at the "real-world" specs (on Wookieepedia) on fighters vs the Falcon, it appears that I am not as accurate in comparisons. In atmosphere, the speed is listed as the following: A-Wing - 1350 km/h; TIE/IN - 1300 km/h; TIE - 1250 km/h; T-65B/C X-wing - 1050 km/h; Y-Wing 1000 km/h.

The Falcon is listed at 1050 km/h, matching the speed of the X-Wing, but still a good bit slower than the other ships. Now whether or not that jibes with the footage from the films or not is a different story.

Therefore imo I think the Falcon needs just enough of a speed buff to be faster than a Y-Wing, but where I think it suffers most is not speed but maneuverability. It should feel a bit more responsive, I think. At least as responsive as a Fighter class, not an Interceptor. I think it just needs a bit of a buff to speed and turn radius and then it should be suitably dominant without being OP.
  • Undead_Corsair
    179 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Here is an example. A full minute and 8 seconds trying to evade a Droid Interceptor, complete with my own pathetic whining at the end!

Yeah, it's nearly impossible to get rid of an interceptor that is attacking you with the Falcon, same goes for the Slave 1, though it at least has the seismic charge which will sometimes kill an interceptor that is following you like that. Falcon and Slave 1 definitely need a speed and turn rate boost.

If Slave I has the seismic charge to get enemies off its back maybe the Falcon should have something like that too? The Falcon has two turrets, maybe it should have an auto-turret ability to target enemies behind you like the Y-Wing or the First Order Interceptor or the ARC-170, it would make a lot of sense.
  • It definitely needs a buff to it's turn rate and speed. I mean, come on; the ship is already a massive target, at least give it the ability to turn around and fight back! The Millennium Falcon should be able to out-turn Fighters and Bombers.

Arcade mode needs 20v20 and starfighter battles for Battlefront II!!!

#soloplayersmatter #singleplayersmatter #offlinegamersmatter