criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

How do you lock on targets in Starfighter Assault???

I just can't seem to get it to work. Where do I aim and how long do I have to hold the torpedo/ missile button for the lock on box to start tracking the target?

Replies

• First you might want to check your controls.

It's automatically set to "hold" IIRC, everyone should want that on toggle.

As long as your target is in your main firing cone (the two brackets surrounding the reticule) lock should be attainable (the closer to the center, the faster the lock).
  • I'll check thanks. How long does it take to lock on?
  • rollind24
    4854 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    I'll check thanks. How long does it take to lock on?

Shouldn’t take very long. Some players have the extra lock on time card equipped though and they can take a little while to fully lock on to. Nothing more than a couple seconds either way, I haven’t timed it since it all depends on the angle and movement
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Can really depend on Star cards. Frankly, forget about missiles except for objectives. You're not likely to hit a player.
  • Bombers I find can hit really well and lock on quickly, holding 2 buttons. The small box appears almost instantly and locks onto the target. Only for the "evil" side though like Tie Bombers and Droid bombers.
  • Bombers I find can hit really well and lock on quickly, holding 2 buttons. The small box appears almost instantly and locks onto the target. Only for the "evil" side though like Tie Bombers and Droid bombers.

Yeah, that's not the primary missiles slot that's more of a cluster shot. All missiles are slaved to the right bumper.

• Cluster shot is pretty darn good though. Dont think one can avoid it
  • It's alright, not handy for all situations, but you can break up some furballs pretty effectively with it. Also it is completely avoidable (the missles, not the lock, abilities permitting).

Those missiles are a little weaker and you can outmaneuver them like normal ones. Also, the afterburner breaks any missile locked onto you once you use it. I use it for that far more often than just the speed boost.
  • TheStalker88
    6060 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    I tried moving 2 thumbsticks together for maximum spiraling speed and it seems to help dodge the missiles the most.

Cluster missiles are pretty great at breaking up groups and getting them split up
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Yeah that's handy. I love the bomber class.
  • Using the hard lock in the a wing and tie interceptor shortens lock on time as well.
  • TheScape
    1593 posts Member
    I just can't seem to get it to work. Where do I aim and how long do I have to hold the torpedo/ missile button for the lock on box to start tracking the target?

It depends. Some cards can reduce/increase the time to lock on for missiles. One is an offensive card and the other is defensive, so depending on your opponent you might need less or more time (it is constant for AI ships since they don't have cards). Also, about the aim, I know there's a range from where you can lock on and if the target gets away from it you slowly lose the lock until the ship goes completely away from your range and resets. So, try to keep your target on your view until you only get one lock marker (instead of two). There is even an audio cue when you're finally locked.

Oh, and once you shoot don't expect your missiles to land if you're playing against a decent pilot. They are usually easy to dodge unless you have a lot of lag.
    May your heart be your guiding key.
  • TheScape wrote: »

It depends. Some cards can reduce/increase the time to lock on for missiles. One is an offensive card and the other is defensive, so depending on your opponent you might need less or more time (it is constant for AI ships since they don't have cards). Also, about the aim, I know there's a range from where you can lock on and if the target gets away from it you slowly lose the lock until the ship goes completely away from your range and resets. So, try to keep your target on your view until you only get one lock marker (instead of two). There is even an audio cue when you're finally locked.

Oh, and once you shoot don't expect your missiles to land if you're playing against a decent pilot. They are usually easy to dodge unless you have a lot of lag.

Weapons range is aprox. 1,000 metres. If your target is further away you can't get a missile lock and your lasers won't hit.
    51bvn954fmlp.png