criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
August Community Calendar
Battle Point Event Heroes Unleashed

What do you think of the idea to allow community made content?

So I was thinking about the new update, and about how we didn't get a massive amount of content. A simple way to fix this is allowing us to create new content. I'm not exactly thinking mods, but more along the lines of the steam workshop. In my chosen example, we have character customization, where players have a marketplace to buy (with in game credits or crystals) the skins other players have created. This would be available to troopers only, and to create the skins, players would have an interface where they could modify the default classes. For the armored troopers, players could use decals/shapes (almost like what you can apply to vehicles in the Forza games) that can be set to the colors of canon units and modified to create the look a player wants, while non-armored troops could have tattoos, special unit markings, and the same shapes/decals that could be applied only to clothing.
This idea obviously wouldn't work for heroes, but it would be a very easy way to have constant new content that is tailored to each player's taste. As for pricing, I feel like creating a skin would cost around 10k, and then whenever someone buys your skin, you get 1k.

Anyways, I have only thought of this one way that we could make canon following content for the game, and I most definitely haven't perfected the idea. If you have any ideas on how to improve upon my thoughts, or have your own, fire away!

P.S. I'm working on creating some concept looks for the skin maker, and should hopefully have them finished tomorrow or the day after that.

Replies

• t3hBar0n
    5001 posts Member
    This is a Disney/Lucasarts property... unfortunately your idea is DOA.
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    Dumb question for you. By DOA you mean Dead on Arrival? If so why?
  • t3hBar0n
    5001 posts Member
    Vihollinen wrote: »
    t3hBar0n wrote: »

Disney/Lucasarts are notoriously protective of their IP and I see no way they would allow any content to be released they did not have direct control over... the process of reviewing mountians of user submitted skins for a tertiary Disney/Lucasarts property which is not generating them much long term revenue is a giant waste of time nonstarter for them.

Disney/Lucasarts are notoriously protective of their IP and I see no way they would allow any content to be released they did not have direct control over... the process of reviewing mountians of user submitted skins for a tertiary Disney/Lucasarts property which is not generating them much long term revenue is a giant waste of time nonstarter for them.

That's the thing. By eliminating the ability for players to modify the actual structure of the model itself and the non-canon modifications, players can't break any story line, and the players don't have any legal claim to the models. Therefore, no threat to Disney or Lucasfilm is created, and if anything, they just gain more creative ideas
  • t3hBar0n
    5001 posts Member
    Hey if you can make it work, more power to you... but I would bet my 401k on being hit by lightning and Tom Brady kicking the game winning field goal in the next superbowl rather than Disney getting on board lol.
  • Vihollinen
    111 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Hey if you can make it work, more power to you... but I would bet my 401k on being hit by lightning and Tom Brady kicking the game winning field goal in the next superbowl rather than Disney getting on board lol.
    So other than the problem that Disney wouldn't like it you have no other problems with it?
  • t3hBar0n
    5001 posts Member
    So other than the problem that Disney wouldn't like it you have no other problems with it?

I don't have any problem with people doing whatever they want with cosmetics... back in the day you could do whatever you wanted with skins... I just don't see EA/Disney being on board.
  • Beeece
    337 posts Member
    Never going to happen.

Or, you can make a lot of non-Patriots fans happy and have Brady get struck by lightning. :)

Anyway, as everyone said, this will never happen.

• SrawDawg
    733 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    They could do what was done on Jedi Knight 2 multiplayer where players had all kinds of user created skins.........like super hero stuff...and whenever you played a match you gained that skin and then you could select it whenever you wanted down the road.

There had to be just monumental amounts of effort put into making some of these maps, I would think clearly entire team efforts, but it would be interesting to see what home brew maps and user created locations could do. Like stuff you wouldn't normally see like the Degobah swamp or the death star 2 throne room for HvV maps.

I couldn't help but notice the detail on the Bespin map to show the gas platforms and those balloons it reminds me of Rogue Leader on the Gamecube. I wonder how difficult it would be to add similar functionality for starfighters on that map?
  • There is two problems with this. One already mentioned is Disney holding the rights.
    Check the multiple fan made star wars games that have been shut down. EA as shown with Renegade X the fan remastered C&C renegade game they dont care as long as it makes 0 money.

But Galexy in turmoil was force to remove all star wars content from their game even thow its 100% free.

The second problem is the Frostbite engine. EA doesnt liscence this out , its not like UNITY or Unreal anyone can use. There is alot of copyright and trademark laws here. Sure there is unofficial tools out there but EA is only ok with cosmetic stuff. There is alot of legal stuff to go thru.

Remember just a simple cheats can be considered a type of patent infringement.
    typed this from an xbox sorry for spelling errors.
    Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TroopperFoFo/ .
    Battlefront 2 , Battlefield and more.
  • MCA26
    175 posts Member
    I couldn't think of anything worse than fan made content.