criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Do you think that Infinity war will beat The force awakens?

Prev13
Raylol
741 posts Member
yes/no why

Replies

  • Dash
    11446 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    I’m gonna say Equal to/Surpasses it. Because both are a Very real Possibility.

    It’s long been building (the MCU), culminating to this very moment. It should do Extremely well World Wide.

    Also, this might get moved to Off-Topic, which is fine.
    Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

    "When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif





  • No. No comic book movie has yet to eclipse $700 million domestic, nor $1 billion overseas. TFA is the 3rd highest grossing film of all time worldwide because it had been a decade since a Star Wars movie was released and we had the return of the OT Big 3. Infinity War may not even break the first Avenger's "comic book movie" record of $1.5 billion worldwide.
  • Dash
    11446 posts Member
    Lord_Oz wrote: »
    No. No comic book movie has yet to eclipse $700 million domestic, nor $1 billion overseas. TFA is the 3rd highest grossing film of all time worldwide because it had been a decade since a Star Wars movie was released and we had the return of the OT Big 3. Infinity War may not even break the first Avenger's "comic book movie" record of $1.5 billion worldwide.

    We will reconvene with you in a few weeks to review the statistics sir. :wink:
    Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

    "When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif





  • Raylol
    741 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Lord_Oz wrote: »
    No. No comic book movie has yet to eclipse $700 million domestic, nor $1 billion overseas. TFA is the 3rd highest grossing film of all time worldwide because it had been a decade since a Star Wars movie was released and we had the return of the OT Big 3. Infinity War may not even break the first Avenger's "comic book movie" record of $1.5 billion worldwide.

    I kinda think you're understimating Avengers.

    I somewhere read that Infinity war pre-tickets sold more than the las 7 Marvels films together.

    Also the trailers views are huge.

    Plus the plot seems really amazing and probably people will go see it more than once, I'm a huge star wars fans, even more than marvel, but TFA wasn't 'epic' it was nice

  • Tough to say. Are there more comic fans than SW fans? That is debatable. I'm finding that box office gross means less and less these days. A movie can make hundreds of millions and still be a terrible film. Most blockbusters are built around the waiting and anticipation (an established fan base certainly helps), which is why TFA's success was so astronomical. As I understand it, this Infinity movie has been a long awaited film by comic fans, so maybe it has a chance?
  • Raylol
    741 posts Member
    Tough to say. Are there more comic fans than SW fans? That is debatable. I'm finding that box office gross means less and less these days. A movie can make hundreds of millions and still be a terrible film. Most blockbusters are built around the waiting and anticipation (an established fan base certainly helps), which is why TFA's success was so astronomical. As I understand it, this Infinity movie has been a long awaited film by comic fans, so maybe it has a chance?

    It's not about the comics fans, literally in the schools, at least here in Mexico everyones talks about it, literally more than the half of my facebook posts are of Infinity war.
  • Could be. Infinity War + it’s sequel had a combined budget of $1 billion. Considering you generally double a movie’s budget to account for marketting costs, this movie alone likely cost around $1 billion to make. So many A listers that it makes your head spin. Largest movie budget of all time. They’re definitely hoping it beats not on TFA but Avatar, too, plus anything released in the next decade. Wouldn’t be surprised at all.
  • Saberscar223
    1022 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Lord_Oz wrote: »
    No. No comic book movie has yet to eclipse $700 million domestic, nor $1 billion overseas. TFA is the 3rd highest grossing film of all time worldwide because it had been a decade since a Star Wars movie was released and we had the return of the OT Big 3. Infinity War may not even break the first Avenger's "comic book movie" record of $1.5 billion worldwide.
    Yes it will and when it does I will remind you of what you said today
    "You Don't Know the Power of the Dark Side"
    vader.gif
  • Let's hope it has a more original plot. Doubt it though
  • mastery0ta wrote: »
    Let's hope it has a more original plot. Doubt it though

    Good luck with that. The effects and set pieces will be GOAT, but the plot will be more easily digestible than prunes. Also, I have no clue how they’re going to be able to give the 50+ heroes the screen time they deserve.
  • Beeece
    337 posts Member
    Infinity Wars will beat TFA. Better expected story, more characters to care about and a "Who's gonna die" feel. While I love Star Wars, Thanos could beat The whole Skywalker clan with a snap of his finger.
  • No. (too short)
  • Raylol wrote: »
    Lord_Oz wrote: »
    No. No comic book movie has yet to eclipse $700 million domestic, nor $1 billion overseas. TFA is the 3rd highest grossing film of all time worldwide because it had been a decade since a Star Wars movie was released and we had the return of the OT Big 3. Infinity War may not even break the first Avenger's "comic book movie" record of $1.5 billion worldwide.

    I kinda think you're understimating Avengers.

    I somewhere read that Infinity war pre-tickets sold more than the las 7 Marvels films together.

    Also the trailers views are huge.

    Plus the plot seems really amazing and probably people will go see it more than once, I'm a huge star wars fans, even more than marvel, but TFA wasn't 'epic' it was nice

    TFA:
    All Time Domestic Box office record: $936.7 Million
    Overseas Box Office: $1,131,600,000
    Total: $2.068 Billion

    Highest Domestic Box Office Comic Book Movie: Black Panther $675 million
    Highest Overseas Box Office Comic Book Movie: Avengers Age of Ultron $946 million
    Highest Worldwide Box Office Comic Book Movie: The Avengers $1.51 Billion

    You need a cultural phenomenon to break the $2 billion mark in box office. Only 3 movies have ever done it. Avengers Infinity War, I'm sorry, is not going to do it. Especially when we know it's only part 1. Avatar, Titanic and The Force Awakens are the only 3 to even break $1.67 billion, much less the $2 billion mark.

    Seeing it "more than once" isn't what's needed...6-7 times is what's needed to do those numbers.

    The Force Awakens also benefited from a lack of competition at the box office and was #1 at the box office for the first 3 weeks it was in theaters. The 4th week it was #2 in theaters. 5th week it was #3 in theaters. The 6th week it jumped BACK UP to #2! The 7th it fell back to #3. We're talking about sustained success only matched by 2 other movies. TFA was in theaters into February after it's December 15th release.

    Now, I'm not sure about the first week for Infinity War, it's competition of new releases looks...meh, but in it's 3rd week it's going to have major competition with Deadpool 2, and in it's 4th week it'll have Solo to deal with. TFA's biggest competition in the first 6 weeks of it's run was The Revenant which only amassed $532 million worldwide. Deadpool 2 and Solo are way bigger competition. Infinity War will do fine, maybe break The Avengers record, but it's not getting close to $2 billion.

    sources:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/?pagenum=1&sort=osgross&order=DESC&p=.htm
    https://www.imdb.com/movies-coming-soon/?pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL&pf_rd_p=b7da399c-a987-4453-bc16-f3ae0c58eee3&pf_rd_r=4DD8P1DN6AKY3W6WN286&pf_rd_s=right-8&pf_rd_t=15061&pf_rd_i=homepage&ref_=hm_cs_hd
  • OGPOTUS wrote: »
    Could be. Infinity War + it’s sequel had a combined budget of $1 billion. Considering you generally double a movie’s budget to account for marketting costs, this movie alone likely cost around $1 billion to make. So many A listers that it makes your head spin. Largest movie budget of all time. They’re definitely hoping it beats not on TFA but Avatar, too, plus anything released in the next decade. Wouldn’t be surprised at all.

    This is false. It was an unsubstantiated rumor that Kevin Feige shot down.

    "However, this rumor was soon shot down by Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige.

    While Marvel has yet to reveal the actual budget of Avengers: Infinity War, there have been a lot of rumors, placing the project's budget just under the $400 million mark, which is double the budget of most MCU movies. Since there is no official confirmation yet on any of the numbers, all of these rumors should be taken with a grain of salt. If these rumors are to be believed, though, it's quite possible that Avengers: Infinity War could dethrone Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides as the most expensive movie of all time.

    This could all change again in May, however, with the release of Solo: A Star Wars Story. The final budget of Solo remains a mystery as well, but the spin-off movie may also have cost Disney and Lucasfilm around $400 million."

  • Lord_Oz wrote: »
    No. No comic book movie has yet to eclipse $700 million domestic, nor $1 billion overseas. TFA is the 3rd highest grossing film of all time worldwide because it had been a decade since a Star Wars movie was released and we had the return of the OT Big 3. Infinity War may not even break the first Avenger's "comic book movie" record of $1.5 billion worldwide.
    Yes it will and when it does I will remind you of what you said today

    Go ahead, write it down, take a picture, I don't give a [expletive deleted]. There's no statistical or factual backing to your claim. In fact, I've provided both that show it'll be otherwise.
  • Beeece wrote: »
    Infinity Wars will beat TFA. Better expected story, more characters to care about and a "Who's gonna die" feel. While I love Star Wars, Thanos could beat The whole Skywalker clan with a snap of his finger.

    That's your opinion and it's not backed up by any evidence what so ever. Star Wars is the 2nd all time highest grossing entertainment franchise, second only to Pokemon world wide.
  • Midichlorian
    1394 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    It will at least make over a billion, but TFA made 2Bill, there hadn't been a SW film in 10 years but it had been 30+ years since the Original trilogy. But could Avengers 3&4 combine to 2 Billion? Very possible. But apart from Black Panther, the MCU's films after Civil War haven't made it past 1 Billion. But IW also has the most ticket presales in the MCU. So... idk

    Could it make more than Solo, Disney's other upcoming blockbuster. Last Jedi blacklash could effect Solo, but that is a different topic.
    "Dude, don't call us plucky, we don't know what it means."
    Devoted worshipper of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif
  • Lord_Oz wrote: »
    OGPOTUS wrote: »
    Could be. Infinity War + it’s sequel had a combined budget of $1 billion. Considering you generally double a movie’s budget to account for marketting costs, this movie alone likely cost around $1 billion to make. So many A listers that it makes your head spin. Largest movie budget of all time. They’re definitely hoping it beats not on TFA but Avatar, too, plus anything released in the next decade. Wouldn’t be surprised at all.

    This is false. It was an unsubstantiated rumor that Kevin Feige shot down.

    "However, this rumor was soon shot down by Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige.

    While Marvel has yet to reveal the actual budget of Avengers: Infinity War, there have been a lot of rumors, placing the project's budget just under the $400 million mark, which is double the budget of most MCU movies. Since there is no official confirmation yet on any of the numbers, all of these rumors should be taken with a grain of salt. If these rumors are to be believed, though, it's quite possible that Avengers: Infinity War could dethrone Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides as the most expensive movie of all time.

    This could all change again in May, however, with the release of Solo: A Star Wars Story. The final budget of Solo remains a mystery as well, but the spin-off movie may also have cost Disney and Lucasfilm around $400 million."

    I mean, the number doesn’t sound unreasonable. How many giant Hollywood actors are in Infinity War? The budget for actor wages has to be astronomical compared to pretty much any other movie ever made. Not to mention the cost of state-of-the-art sets, costumes, special effects, etc. Disney spent $353 million while filming in England alone, and that was before they started filming in Atlanta, Central Park, and Queens. Neither of us have a concrete number because one hasn’t been released yet, but it’s not far-fetched to imagine the movie costs half a billion to make.
  • It would be possible, but it's a high order. The franchise is huge, and easily one of the biggest in film, but there's a ton of stuff before it, and the most recent film won't be on bluray before IW hits theaters, which could stop some fans from seeing it.

    It might not break the record, but it's still going to make ridiculous amounts of money. Between box office, promotional deals, and second/third revenue streams its hard to estimate how much money a movie like this really brings in in full.
  • Maybe Not.
  • If previous marvel movies in box office numbers are any indication it's highly unlikely. Maybe get to 650-700 mil domestically.
    The force awakens had unique situation because of the big hype build over a decade with no star wars movie.
    Marvel has pretty much saturated the cinemas with 2 movies every year. They don't feel unique anymore. When there is a new marvel movie you are like meh another marvel movie but when Force Awakens released it was quite the euphoria with the trailer of Darth Vader destroyed mask, Han entering the Falcon, the sound of a lightsaber igniting. It was nostalgic and that played a huge part in bringing in the masses to the cinema.
    ''The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel he understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if he had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the Dark Lord out of necessity to prevent a greater evil''
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

  • If previous marvel movies in box office numbers are any indication it's highly unlikely. Maybe get to 650-700 mil domestically.
    The force awakens had unique situation because of the big hype build over a decade with no star wars movie.
    Marvel has pretty much saturated the cinemas with 2 movies every year. They don't feel unique anymore. When there is a new marvel movie you are like meh another marvel movie but when Force Awakens released it was quite the euphoria with the trailer of Darth Vader destroyed mask, Han entering the Falcon, the sound of a lightsaber igniting. It was nostalgic and that played a huge part in bringing in the masses to the cinema.

    This. People keep saying "Thanos this, Thanos that" but the reality is, those Marvel fans were already seeing the movies, they're not the ones that are going to push the box office towards the top 5. It's the normal, every day movie goer that will, and they'll need to see it multiple times themselves. Thanos is just another "big bad" to them. He's not the needle mover Marvel fanboys think he is with regards to the box office.
  • Lord_Oz wrote: »
    If previous marvel movies in box office numbers are any indication it's highly unlikely. Maybe get to 650-700 mil domestically.
    The force awakens had unique situation because of the big hype build over a decade with no star wars movie.
    Marvel has pretty much saturated the cinemas with 2 movies every year. They don't feel unique anymore. When there is a new marvel movie you are like meh another marvel movie but when Force Awakens released it was quite the euphoria with the trailer of Darth Vader destroyed mask, Han entering the Falcon, the sound of a lightsaber igniting. It was nostalgic and that played a huge part in bringing in the masses to the cinema.

    This. People keep saying "Thanos this, Thanos that" but the reality is, those Marvel fans were already seeing the movies, they're not the ones that are going to push the box office towards the top 5. It's the normal, every day movie goer that will, and they'll need to see it multiple times themselves. Thanos is just another "big bad" to them. He's not the needle mover Marvel fanboys think he is with regards to the box office.

    To be fair, Marvel films has been incredibly successful with casual film fans, and Thanos has been being teased since the first avengers film back in 2012.

    Add to this that Marvel films can make a movie about a talking raccoon and a talking tree into a mega successful film, and I wouldn't be surprised by anything they manage to pull off.
  • Lord_Oz wrote: »
    If previous marvel movies in box office numbers are any indication it's highly unlikely. Maybe get to 650-700 mil domestically.
    The force awakens had unique situation because of the big hype build over a decade with no star wars movie.
    Marvel has pretty much saturated the cinemas with 2 movies every year. They don't feel unique anymore. When there is a new marvel movie you are like meh another marvel movie but when Force Awakens released it was quite the euphoria with the trailer of Darth Vader destroyed mask, Han entering the Falcon, the sound of a lightsaber igniting. It was nostalgic and that played a huge part in bringing in the masses to the cinema.

    This. People keep saying "Thanos this, Thanos that" but the reality is, those Marvel fans were already seeing the movies, they're not the ones that are going to push the box office towards the top 5. It's the normal, every day movie goer that will, and they'll need to see it multiple times themselves. Thanos is just another "big bad" to them. He's not the needle mover Marvel fanboys think he is with regards to the box office.

    To be fair, Marvel films has been incredibly successful with casual film fans, and Thanos has been being teased since the first avengers film back in 2012.

    Add to this that Marvel films can make a movie about a talking raccoon and a talking tree into a mega successful film, and I wouldn't be surprised by anything they manage to pull off.

    And yet NONE of them have gotten close to even $1.6 billion. If the casual fans have already been going, you're now asking people who are even less than casual to go and see a movie because of Thanos and "all the heroes". You're making the counter argument to it surpassing TFA for us.
  • Who cares as long as it's a good movie
    Will anyone here make a profit from the sales ?
  • Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Inifnity War has virtually all Marvel characters in it so I’m sure it will suck.
  • WarfareKiller41
    6182 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    EvazanJr wrote: »
    Inifnity War has virtually all Marvel characters in it so I’m sure it will suck.
    Well it’s not like they all need character development, that’s why the whole MCU has been building up to Infinity War.
    Army or not, you must realize....you are doomed.
    tumblr_m83kl8wd161rv3w3po2_500.gif
  • Octavious_Wrex
    3043 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Lord_Oz wrote: »
    Lord_Oz wrote: »
    If previous marvel movies in box office numbers are any indication it's highly unlikely. Maybe get to 650-700 mil domestically.
    The force awakens had unique situation because of the big hype build over a decade with no star wars movie.
    Marvel has pretty much saturated the cinemas with 2 movies every year. They don't feel unique anymore. When there is a new marvel movie you are like meh another marvel movie but when Force Awakens released it was quite the euphoria with the trailer of Darth Vader destroyed mask, Han entering the Falcon, the sound of a lightsaber igniting. It was nostalgic and that played a huge part in bringing in the masses to the cinema.

    This. People keep saying "Thanos this, Thanos that" but the reality is, those Marvel fans were already seeing the movies, they're not the ones that are going to push the box office towards the top 5. It's the normal, every day movie goer that will, and they'll need to see it multiple times themselves. Thanos is just another "big bad" to them. He's not the needle mover Marvel fanboys think he is with regards to the box office.

    To be fair, Marvel films has been incredibly successful with casual film fans, and Thanos has been being teased since the first avengers film back in 2012.

    Add to this that Marvel films can make a movie about a talking raccoon and a talking tree into a mega successful film, and I wouldn't be surprised by anything they manage to pull off.

    And yet NONE of them have gotten close to even $1.6 billion. If the casual fans have already been going, you're now asking people who are even less than casual to go and see a movie because of Thanos and "all the heroes". You're making the counter argument to it surpassing TFA for us.

    I wasn't arguing anything about the film making more money, if you look at my first post in the thread you can see I say it's unlikely.

    I was arguing that your concept that only comic fans see comic movies is flawed.
  • Lord_Oz
    433 posts Member
    Lord_Oz wrote: »
    Lord_Oz wrote: »
    If previous marvel movies in box office numbers are any indication it's highly unlikely. Maybe get to 650-700 mil domestically.
    The force awakens had unique situation because of the big hype build over a decade with no star wars movie.
    Marvel has pretty much saturated the cinemas with 2 movies every year. They don't feel unique anymore. When there is a new marvel movie you are like meh another marvel movie but when Force Awakens released it was quite the euphoria with the trailer of Darth Vader destroyed mask, Han entering the Falcon, the sound of a lightsaber igniting. It was nostalgic and that played a huge part in bringing in the masses to the cinema.

    This. People keep saying "Thanos this, Thanos that" but the reality is, those Marvel fans were already seeing the movies, they're not the ones that are going to push the box office towards the top 5. It's the normal, every day movie goer that will, and they'll need to see it multiple times themselves. Thanos is just another "big bad" to them. He's not the needle mover Marvel fanboys think he is with regards to the box office.

    To be fair, Marvel films has been incredibly successful with casual film fans, and Thanos has been being teased since the first avengers film back in 2012.

    Add to this that Marvel films can make a movie about a talking raccoon and a talking tree into a mega successful film, and I wouldn't be surprised by anything they manage to pull off.

    And yet NONE of them have gotten close to even $1.6 billion. If the casual fans have already been going, you're now asking people who are even less than casual to go and see a movie because of Thanos and "all the heroes". You're making the counter argument to it surpassing TFA for us.

    I wasn't arguing anything about the film making more money, if you look at my first post in the thread you can see I say it's unlikely.

    I was arguing that your concept that only comic fans see comic movies is flawed.

    Where did I say that? Your argument is null and void because I never said that. You're the one that brought up the "casual market" not me.
  • Man that’s a tough call op, I say if any move could it would be IW, but TFA was such a monster. Definitely two heavyweights, I say Disney wins this one lol.
  • Lord_Oz wrote: »
    Lord_Oz wrote: »
    Lord_Oz wrote: »
    If previous marvel movies in box office numbers are any indication it's highly unlikely. Maybe get to 650-700 mil domestically.
    The force awakens had unique situation because of the big hype build over a decade with no star wars movie.
    Marvel has pretty much saturated the cinemas with 2 movies every year. They don't feel unique anymore. When there is a new marvel movie you are like meh another marvel movie but when Force Awakens released it was quite the euphoria with the trailer of Darth Vader destroyed mask, Han entering the Falcon, the sound of a lightsaber igniting. It was nostalgic and that played a huge part in bringing in the masses to the cinema.

    This. People keep saying "Thanos this, Thanos that" but the reality is, those Marvel fans were already seeing the movies, they're not the ones that are going to push the box office towards the top 5. It's the normal, every day movie goer that will, and they'll need to see it multiple times themselves. Thanos is just another "big bad" to them. He's not the needle mover Marvel fanboys think he is with regards to the box office.

    To be fair, Marvel films has been incredibly successful with casual film fans, and Thanos has been being teased since the first avengers film back in 2012.

    Add to this that Marvel films can make a movie about a talking raccoon and a talking tree into a mega successful film, and I wouldn't be surprised by anything they manage to pull off.

    And yet NONE of them have gotten close to even $1.6 billion. If the casual fans have already been going, you're now asking people who are even less than casual to go and see a movie because of Thanos and "all the heroes". You're making the counter argument to it surpassing TFA for us.

    I wasn't arguing anything about the film making more money, if you look at my first post in the thread you can see I say it's unlikely.

    I was arguing that your concept that only comic fans see comic movies is flawed.

    Where did I say that? Your argument is null and void because I never said that. You're the one that brought up the "casual market" not me.

    Well this was in the post I was originally responding to:

    "Marvel fans were already seeing the movies, they're not the ones that are going to push the box office towards the top 5."

  • Lord_Oz
    433 posts Member
    Lord_Oz wrote: »
    Lord_Oz wrote: »
    Lord_Oz wrote: »
    If previous marvel movies in box office numbers are any indication it's highly unlikely. Maybe get to 650-700 mil domestically.
    The force awakens had unique situation because of the big hype build over a decade with no star wars movie.
    Marvel has pretty much saturated the cinemas with 2 movies every year. They don't feel unique anymore. When there is a new marvel movie you are like meh another marvel movie but when Force Awakens released it was quite the euphoria with the trailer of Darth Vader destroyed mask, Han entering the Falcon, the sound of a lightsaber igniting. It was nostalgic and that played a huge part in bringing in the masses to the cinema.

    This. People keep saying "Thanos this, Thanos that" but the reality is, those Marvel fans were already seeing the movies, they're not the ones that are going to push the box office towards the top 5. It's the normal, every day movie goer that will, and they'll need to see it multiple times themselves. Thanos is just another "big bad" to them. He's not the needle mover Marvel fanboys think he is with regards to the box office.

    To be fair, Marvel films has been incredibly successful with casual film fans, and Thanos has been being teased since the first avengers film back in 2012.

    Add to this that Marvel films can make a movie about a talking raccoon and a talking tree into a mega successful film, and I wouldn't be surprised by anything they manage to pull off.

    And yet NONE of them have gotten close to even $1.6 billion. If the casual fans have already been going, you're now asking people who are even less than casual to go and see a movie because of Thanos and "all the heroes". You're making the counter argument to it surpassing TFA for us.

    I wasn't arguing anything about the film making more money, if you look at my first post in the thread you can see I say it's unlikely.

    I was arguing that your concept that only comic fans see comic movies is flawed.

    Where did I say that? Your argument is null and void because I never said that. You're the one that brought up the "casual market" not me.

    Well this was in the post I was originally responding to:

    "Marvel fans were already seeing the movies, they're not the ones that are going to push the box office towards the top 5."

    You need to brush up on reading comprehension and follow the thread. Tell me how that equates to "only comic book fans see comic book movies"?
  • While Infinity War will do very well at the box office, I doubt that it's going to beat Force Awakens. Marvel's Black Panther is currently their most successful movie with regardings of box office gross, with it reaching 675,382,423$. Compare that to Force Awakens 936,662,225$. That's a huge difference.

    However, I wouldn't count Marvel out on this one. Marvel's The Avengers managed 623,357,910$ and that was back in 2012. Much has happened since then, despite having Age of Ultron not being able to match those numbers. Now, we have Infinity War, to start getting a conclusion to the story arc Marvel set up. I would expect that it will beat The Last Jedi as Black Panther already managed to do so.
  • Lord_Oz
    433 posts Member
    While Infinity War will do very well at the box office, I doubt that it's going to beat Force Awakens. Marvel's Black Panther is currently their most successful movie with regardings of box office gross, with it reaching 675,382,423$. Compare that to Force Awakens 936,662,225$. That's a huge difference.

    However, I wouldn't count Marvel out on this one. Marvel's The Avengers managed 623,357,910$ and that was back in 2012. Much has happened since then, despite having Age of Ultron not being able to match those numbers. Now, we have Infinity War, to start getting a conclusion to the story arc Marvel set up. I would expect that it will beat The Last Jedi as Black Panther already managed to do so.

    TLJ still has Black Panther in Worldwide gross. Which is what this thread is about. Black Panther is still behind both Avengers movies in Wordwide gross
  • Lord_Oz wrote: »
    While Infinity War will do very well at the box office, I doubt that it's going to beat Force Awakens. Marvel's Black Panther is currently their most successful movie with regardings of box office gross, with it reaching 675,382,423$. Compare that to Force Awakens 936,662,225$. That's a huge difference.

    However, I wouldn't count Marvel out on this one. Marvel's The Avengers managed 623,357,910$ and that was back in 2012. Much has happened since then, despite having Age of Ultron not being able to match those numbers. Now, we have Infinity War, to start getting a conclusion to the story arc Marvel set up. I would expect that it will beat The Last Jedi as Black Panther already managed to do so.

    TLJ still has Black Panther in Worldwide gross. Which is what this thread is about. Black Panther is still behind both Avengers movies in Wordwide gross

    Cheers. I was just looking at the Domestic gross. If Infinity War can topple the Domestic Gross, and with a wide margin to Black Panther, while also keeping the success of the other Avengers movies in the Worldwide gross, I suppose they might have a shot at this, though bit doubtful to that.
  • Yeldarb
    231 posts Member
    Money wise idk TLJ made alot because of the brand but the movie sucked. Infinity war should be a better movie can't be worse than the dumpster fire of a movie TLJ was.
  • If I knew that TLJ was going to take a hot messy dump over what TFA set up then I would have never bothered. Also Admiral M̶a̶n̶s̶p̶l̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ Holdo.
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • Raylol
    741 posts Member
    Yeldarb wrote: »
    Money wise idk TLJ made alot because of the brand but the movie sucked. Infinity war should be a better movie can't be worse than the dumpster fire of a movie TLJ was.

    If TLJ was good it would had made at least 1.7 billion, I just watched once, cause I didn't like it at all.
  • Yeldarb
    231 posts Member
    If I knew that TLJ was going to take a hot messy dump over what TFA set up then I would have never bothered. Also Admiral M̶a̶n̶s̶p̶l̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ Holdo.

    Yup they should have stuck with the same director if it aint broke don't fix it.
  • TLJ was good overall.... besides flying a Leia and the casino escape which dragged on. It also needed one final military battle on Crait like BF 2! I really liked it though... top 5 SW movie.

  • OGPOTUS
    650 posts Member
    What a shock, this thread turned into a TLJ hate thread when it wasn't even about that movie. Some of the haters for that film feel compelled to share their opinion at any chance they get, whether it's relevant or not. Same folks gonna be standing in line for Episode 9 on day 1 like the rest of us ****. :D
  • JJ Abrams did a great job casting for TFA and it has tons of nostalgia, but the First Order storyline (besides Kylo) wasn’t very good. Oh great- a bigger Death Star ! How unique
  • univurshul
    1667 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Infinity War will be south of FA...STAR WARS has a bigger age demographic. Marvel comic movies aren't starved & limited, they release at least 2 a year. Also inside baseball to a certain group, that villain has cheese written all over it. Black Panther perhaps is the peak for comic book movies. Maybe Black Panther 2 is the peak. Infinity looks like a crowded shoehorned mess that anyone can wait for on demand...

    I don't even think Avatar 2 will beat Force Awakens. Those Avatar sequels need to be something special nowadays. The sequel should've come a long time ago to capture the stoke for that franchise..
    Let's all remember that Luke's hand didn't clank to the stone when he vanished....Everything organic disappears as a force ghost. The in-organic stays...


  • Lord_Oz
    433 posts Member
    univurshul wrote: »
    Infinity War will be south of FA...STAR WARS has a bigger age demographic. Marvel comic movies aren't starved & limited, they release at least 2 a year. Also inside baseball to a certain group, that villain has cheese written all over it. Black Panther perhaps is the peak for comic book movies. Maybe Black Panther 2 is the peak. Infinity looks like a crowded shoehorned mess that anyone can wait for on demand...

    I don't even think Avatar 2 will beat Force Awakens. Those Avatar sequels need to be something special nowadays. The sequel should've come a long time ago to capture the stoke for that franchise..

    "The weak dollar and 3D/IMAX-boosted ticket prices have been a great help to Avatar's international revenues."

    Remember Avatar was filmed for 3D...the ticket prices back then for it were $20+. It surpassed Titanic in worldwide gross but NOT in actual ticket sales. Avatar's numbers were highly inflated by overseas gouging for the 3D tech. Domestically, TFA killed Avatar by nearly $200 million and my tickets for TFA were $6.
  • Shouldn't this be under a different area, like off-topic? Infinity War doesn't really have anything to do with SWBF II.
  • bfloo
    13704 posts Member
    I doubt it, none of the other MCU movies came close.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


  • DarthJ
    5811 posts Member
    No. As others have mentioned, Star Wars had a decade long wait before 7 came out. MCU, whilst good, will not do as well as SW, and I am saying that as a comics fanboy. Black Panther topped one billion more for its status as a unique film/wall smasher, rather than the story itself in a way.
    41st Forum Fury Battalion Founder PSN: ibrajoker59
  • I enjoy a good Marvel movie but I don't consider myself a fan, herein lies the problem with Infinity War. It feels like if I haven't seen all the films that lead up to it then I won't really know what's going on and I suspect many other movie goers feel the same.
    I haven't seen Civil War (because Captain America is meh), Doctor Strange (because I'm lazy) and Homecoming (because Spiderman films are bad) and I have no idea who Thanos is. The 'road to Infinity War' film lists and hype lead me to believe that it would be pointless for me to see it unless I've seen all the others and I suspect many other non-fans will feel the same way.
    I'm sure it'll do fine but I don't think it'll blow everything out of the water like some people think.
    You will fall, as all Jedi must.
  • Psybernaut wrote: »
    I enjoy a good Marvel movie but I don't consider myself a fan, herein lies the problem with Infinity War. It feels like if I haven't seen all the films that lead up to it then I won't really know what's going on and I suspect many other movie goers feel the same.
    I haven't seen Civil War (because Captain America is meh), Doctor Strange (because I'm lazy) and Homecoming (because Spiderman films are bad) and I have no idea who Thanos is. The 'road to Infinity War' film lists and hype lead me to believe that it would be pointless for me to see it unless I've seen all the others and I suspect many other non-fans will feel the same way.
    I'm sure it'll do fine but I don't think it'll blow everything out of the water like some people think.

    You should consider watching Doctor Strange. Benedict Cumberbatch is great in the role of Stephen Strange.
  • Psybernaut wrote: »
    I enjoy a good Marvel movie but I don't consider myself a fan, herein lies the problem with Infinity War. It feels like if I haven't seen all the films that lead up to it then I won't really know what's going on and I suspect many other movie goers feel the same.
    I haven't seen Civil War (because Captain America is meh), Doctor Strange (because I'm lazy) and Homecoming (because Spiderman films are bad) and I have no idea who Thanos is. The 'road to Infinity War' film lists and hype lead me to believe that it would be pointless for me to see it unless I've seen all the others and I suspect many other non-fans will feel the same way.
    I'm sure it'll do fine but I don't think it'll blow everything out of the water like some people think.

    You should consider watching Doctor Strange. Benedict Cumberbatch is great in the role of Stephen Strange.

    Yeah, it's top of my list, glad to hear it's good.
    You will fall, as all Jedi must.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!