criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Y-wing Ion Cannon needs serious tweaking

Prev1
Being able to disable abilities is all fine and dandy considering it would shut down parts of the ship, but also reducing speed to a crawl and dealing constant damage to the point of almost guaranteeing a kill no matter what the target is. Just recently as Slave 1 I spawned in, got instantly targeted by ion cannons, and died in less than 5 seconds because I was slowed so much I basically wasn't even moving, and was guaranteed to be unable to defend myself in any way. My question is, why do the cannons do this many negative effects in addition to doing severe damage to normal craft and even auto-track for the entirety of its duration? Where's the downside like all other base class abilities?It should either slow or remove ability power for a time, but not both. On top of that, why not make it like Slave 1's where it's just a buff to your standard lasers? That way it's not just a "fire and forget" kill spam that has the game literallty do all the work for you.

Replies

• DrX2345
    2888 posts Member
    I do see what you mean, it is fairly powerful without any real downsides. Maybe it should disable other abilities for its duration? Or slow you down a bit. I don't see how the abilities thing could be explained, because the pilot (torpedos) gunner (ion turret) and astromech (repair) are all operating separately. Speed reduction I guess because it's diverting some engine power to the turret? Or you could have a reduction in your main blaster's damage.
    OOM19 wrote: »

Imagine it

A horde of Bipedal Millennium Falcons with cheeseburgers for legs
    If there seems to be random words or phrases in my post that don't make sense, blame Autocorrect.
    #COOMCAIBDJF
  • Clowater
    134 posts Member
    It’s arc of fire is relatively narrow. It’s not like it’s a 360° sphere.

Its maybe a bit less than 180° To your sides and maybe 45° up.

I’ll admit, if I die to a seismic charge, I’ll beeline straight to the slave one and just lance him with my ion cannons and blasters. If a wingman is also pourin fire into him, he’ll probably die unless he can get out of line of sight or below me.

I’ve been on both ends of it, but I don’t think it needs to be changed, especially since players in bombers is a rarity
  • At the very least just have just 1 effect on the enemy. Having slow, disable, and damage is way too much. Even just talking aways the slow would be leagues better than what they have now, even if they don't take away the damage.
  • Yeah it's cheap.

Rebel Class ships are too good anyway.

Much like in bf15.
  • JAREDUP
    1369 posts Member
    Clowater wrote: »

I’ll admit, if I die to a seismic charge, I’ll beeline straight to the slave one and just lance him with my ion cannons and blasters. If a wingman is also pourin fire into him, he’ll probably die unless he can get out of line of sight or below me.

I’ve been on both ends of it, but I don’t think it needs to be changed, especially since players in bombers is a rarity

It has a 360° range, not 180
    For the Greater Good

9k2nxbv51kuu.gif
  • JAREDUP wrote: »

I believe he’s talking about 180 vertical plane so it can’t shoot at players to your ventral side.
  • JAREDUP
    1369 posts Member
    JAREDUP wrote: »

I believe he’s talking about 180 vertical plane so it can’t shoot at players to your ventral side.

No he said 45° for when looking up, which I agree, but the turret spins more than 180
    For the Greater Good

9k2nxbv51kuu.gif
  • Clowater
    134 posts Member
    edited May 2018

No he said 45° for when looking up, which I agree, but the turret spins more than 180

I’ve never seen it target anyone behind me. Only people in my forward facing.

It could be 270° but I’ve never really been able to tell if it was greater than 180°
  • wwkingms
    765 posts Member
    single most powerful ability in game
  • JAREDUP
    1369 posts Member

It could be 270° but I’ve never really been able to tell if it was greater than 180°

It's you then, It attacks the closet target, which in your case is in front of you, you can even get the turret to shoot at the objective when flying around for another pass
    For the Greater Good

9k2nxbv51kuu.gif
  • Lonnisity
    1941 posts Member

It's you then, It attacks the closet target, which in your case is in front of you, you can even get the turret to shoot at the objective when flying around for another pass

Love doing this. The Y-Wing excels at its role as "objective destroyer"
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • wwkingms
    765 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    mmmm that moment youre in your Y-WING and you see darth maul medium range and you epic star card ion cannon is ready to goooooooo

BYE DIRTH MULE
    Post edited by wwkingms on
  • wwkingms wrote: »
    mmmm that moment youre in youre Y-WING and you see darth maul medium range and you epic star card ion cannon is ready to goooooooo

BYE DIRTH MULE

And you don't even have to aim.

Poor Maul.
  • yeah but this is the problem playing Darth Maul - not a problem with Y Wings.

Slave 1 is just a giant slow moving target - hence the Seismic Charge ability
    PS4 ID Pigdemon01 - see you in SA
  • The Y-wing's ION cannon is fine. Any Imperial and FO pilot should consider the Y-wing a HVT and immediately attack them on sight. When possible, attack the Y-wing from underneath and behind and at a distance. Y-wings can be a challenge, especially when they are at epic, but they can be destroyed.
  • Clone201
    3437 posts Member
    The Y-wing's ION cannon is fine. Any Imperial and FO pilot should consider the Y-wing a HVT and immediately attack them on sight. When possible, attack the Y-wing from underneath and behind and at a distance. Y-wings can be a challenge, especially when they are at epic, but they can be destroyed.

They're not difficult to defeat, they're difficult (or outright impossible in the case of the Y-Wing Ion Cannon) to avoid.
    Man! Could this game get any more broken?
  • Clone201
    3437 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    The Y-Wing used to not be able to disable your starfighter abilities since the beta, at least that would be my current gripe of the Y-Wing at the moment and other similar Ion Charged abilities, with the already slow starfighters in this game. I wonder how & why they changed it from that in the first place.
    Man! Could this game get any more broken?
  • DrX2345 wrote: »
    I do see what you mean, it is fairly powerful without any real downsides. Maybe it should disable other abilities for its duration? Or slow you down a bit. I don't see how the abilities thing could be explained, because the pilot (torpedos) gunner (ion turret) and astromech (repair) are all operating separately. Speed reduction I guess because it's diverting some engine power to the turret? Or you could have a reduction in your main blaster's damage.

Skip ahead to 1:57 or so. The clone wars Y-Wing has only one pilot, no gunner. Apparently the turret is automated.

But, the turret is one nerf I'd agree with. Since it disabled specials, you can't even afterburner away. Nice feature, but just a bit too powerful.
  • LeftTurnus
    1097 posts Member
    The accuracy should be reduced as well. If you are changing directions constantly, it should not be able to hit you with EVERY shot for it's duration...The Republic Y wing is a little better to go against than the aimbot on the Rebel Y wing though. Activate R1-L1, an enemy is dead, whether above, behind, below, or anywhere withing the range of it...
  • marvin616
    354 posts Member
    I get hit with the ion often enough and usually don't get shot down because of it. Y wings are slow and easy to evade, even when you're flying at a reduced speed and it doesn't take very long for the effect to wear off. If they didn't have the ions defensive ability then bombing runs would be nearly impossible.
  • auldtam
    136 posts Member
    I usually dive for cover, unless the bomber pilot rolls 180 you should be able to evade. Cant remember the last time I was killed by one.

Cheers
    PSN: auldtam
  • Almost 90% of the comments are "Doesnt happen to me". Yes, because that clearly means it should never happen and my experience was a glitch. There's more people than just you out there, as absurdly ridiculous as that sounds. Nothing happens the same exact way that you encounter.
  • Clowater
    134 posts Member
    The fact that it has flown under the radar for 7 months with no significant thread about it attests to the fact that it is just fine.

It’s funny how 3 threads about it popped up in the last day or so.

Maybe more people are finally flying bombers
  • Winda_F1
    10 posts Member
    It was fine last six months already, leave it in peace.
  • Yeah, the ion cannon is surprisingly effective it makes me hate the other two bombers (cause Republic and Rebellion Y-Wings are the same anyway) cause it just feels far more lacking (multi-missiles shouldn't feel like a pointless ability but it strangely does to me). If I play in Fondor, which requires multiple things to blow up, then Y-Wings all the way.

...Rebellion does have the best fighters.
  • As a bomber user, I'll say they're pretty obnoxious to deal with when you're in a hero ship. You get clipped once and its basically GG because everyone who's already trying to dog pile you is gonna have an easier time. Add in multiple bombers and you're toast no matter what.

Either the ion cannon needs to be tweaked somehow or the dark side bombers need their ability improved because extra missles don't do much when they can be easily dodged 90% of the time.
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • The thing I hate is that rebel bombers can out damage my tie int with max fire speed, damage, and heat reduction.
  • JAREDUP
    1369 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    I know why these threads are showing up, because people have left SA lobbies quite empty forcing more AI into the battle, and the AI are very agressive and I bet you die but the AI Y wing which is most likely what has happened
    For the Greater Good

9k2nxbv51kuu.gif
  • DrX2345
    2888 posts Member
    The thing I hate is that rebel bombers can out damage my tie int with max fire speed, damage, and heat reduction.
    In fairness I don't think you can use the Current TIE Interceptor as a valid comparison, it's so bad.

Imagine it

If there seems to be random words or phrases in my post that don't make sense, blame Autocorrect.
    #COOMCAIBDJF
  • Ohhhhhh yeah...The Tie Interceptor is pretty lousy.
  • JAREDUP wrote: »
    I know why these threads are showing up, because people have left SA lobbies quite empty forcing more AI into the battle, and the AI are very agressive and I bet you die but the AI Y wing which is most likely what has happened

It wouldn't say Ion Cannon by "X player" when I get endlessly targeted and slowed. It's just say "Y-wing" as the weapon if it was AI.
  • I don't think AI uses abilities (turrets, torpedos, jammers, burst/quad fire).
  • JAREDUP
    1369 posts Member

It wouldn't say Ion Cannon by "X player" when I get endlessly targeted and slowed. It's just say "Y-wing" as the weapon if it was AI.

Most bomber players don't really assault other fighters and us the ion cannon in defense not attack, but the AI will certainly use it on attack
    I don't think AI uses abilities (turrets, torpedos, jammers, burst/quad fire).

The most certainly do, I've had AI spam me while I'm hero with torpedoes
    For the Greater Good

9k2nxbv51kuu.gif
  • It still doesn't change the fact the cannon has far too much for it and virtually nothing going against it that can't be immediately countered by a simple turn of the ship.

• Either the ion cannon needs to be tweaked somehow or the dark side bombers need their ability improved because extra missles don't do much when they can be easily dodged 90% of the time.

You need to get the firing technique right. Once you have launched your multi missiles, wait until the target starts to evade and then fire your main missile. Result: the target now has missiles coming at them from multiple directions and so cannot turn to avoid all of them at the same time.

• CallMeDeee
    1655 posts Member
    Love me some ywing ion action. First the torp lock, then the ion to grab you and lasers away.

I got a rage msg 2 days ago for going on a bomber kill streak. I do agree the maybe the speed should not be cut so much, definitely a slow down but maybe 25%?
  • DrX2345
    2888 posts Member
    Maybe slightly less slowing effect, but I think the main nerf should be the effects on the user. Maybe a slight speed decrease when it's active, slight reduction to main weapon damage, and a slower turn speed on the turret? Then it would actually have some drawbacks.

Imagine it

#COOMCAIBDJF
  • Nah it's fine to me. I rarely die to, or as a consequence of, Ion cannons. My only gripe is how much better the Y-Wing is than it's Empire counterpart. The Y-Wing has the Ion cannon and repair bot. TIE bomber has extra missiles and counter-measures. In a 1 v 1 fight between evenly matched players it will lose to a Y-Wing every time. Maybe give us some different options e.g. a repair function for the TIE bomber instead of countermeasures?
  • Being able to disable abilities is all fine and dandy considering it would shut down parts of the ship, but also reducing speed to a crawl and dealing constant damage to the point of almost guaranteeing a kill no matter what the target is. Just recently as Slave 1 I spawned in, got instantly targeted by ion cannons, and died in less than 5 seconds because I was slowed so much I basically wasn't even moving, and was guaranteed to be unable to defend myself in any way. My question is, why do the cannons do this many negative effects in addition to doing severe damage to normal craft and even auto-track for the entirety of its duration? Where's the downside like all other base class abilities?It should either slow or remove ability power for a time, but not both. On top of that, why not make it like Slave 1's where it's just a buff to your standard lasers? That way it's not just a "fire and forget" kill spam that has the game literallty do all the work for you.

It’s not a guaranteed kill. As soon as I get hit by ion, I turn straight toward the ywing and almost always get out of their aim if it’s just a 1v1.

If it’s happening too often for you, your flying too much in the open.

• Frimmel
    607 posts Member
    I noticed considerably more Ion cannon this past weekend. Did it get buffed in the last patch or something? Is it maybe more that with the new progression more folks have pushed it up to Epic and the Epic level needs dialed back? Was it just the double XP and more folks were taking bombers to try and rank them up?
  • Being able to disable abilities is all fine and dandy considering it would shut down parts of the ship, but also reducing speed to a crawl and dealing constant damage to the point of almost guaranteeing a kill no matter what the target is. Just recently as Slave 1 I spawned in, got instantly targeted by ion cannons, and died in less than 5 seconds because I was slowed so much I basically wasn't even moving, and was guaranteed to be unable to defend myself in any way. My question is, why do the cannons do this many negative effects in addition to doing severe damage to normal craft and even auto-track for the entirety of its duration? Where's the downside like all other base class abilities?It should either slow or remove ability power for a time, but not both. On top of that, why not make it like Slave 1's where it's just a buff to your standard lasers? That way it's not just a "fire and forget" kill spam that has the game literallty do all the work for you.

It’s not a guaranteed kill. As soon as I get hit by ion, I turn straight toward the ywing and almost always get out of their aim if it’s just a 1v1.

If it’s happening too often for you, your flying too much in the open.

I don't fly in the open because I'm not an **** who assumes I'm going to be ignored. I make an effort to find the most convoluted cramped spaces to fly in so I can actually avoid people who can't fly for anything and to make myself be a better pilot. And whenever you fly straight at them, you're definitely not playing against a sensible pilot because, once again, all they have to do it roll the ship in whatever direction to keep you in the cannon's lin-of-sight.
  • DrX2345 wrote: »
    Maybe slightly less slowing effect, but I think the main nerf should be the effects on the user. Maybe a slight speed decrease when it's active, slight reduction to main weapon damage, and a slower turn speed on the turret? Then it would actually have some drawbacks.

It should just charge the main cannons like Boba's ability does. That way it still requires the pilot to be any sort of competent and make them earn the reward.
  • LeftTurnus
    1097 posts Member
    I've been flying bombers whenever they are available on the map and have them purpled out with all the cards I routinely use. They are my favourite ships.
    Yes, the ion cannon can be a pain, and yes, it will score kills - but only if the target is already injured or is flying like a dingbat and not trying to escape once the shots start landing. It is counterbalanced by the bomber itself being very slow and unmaneouvrable and having real trouble evading missiles once they're locked on.

On PS4, once my fighter or interceptor gets hit by one bolt, the ship basically stops and EVERY subsequent shot hits, no matter how I maneuver the ship, until it is dead. And it is not as if I saw the bomber to evade them. Just out of the blue whack whack whack whack and then dead. Usually the rebel Y wing. It is a ridiculously stupid no aim OHK ability.
    And the turret is actually on top of the Y wing. How is it hitting targets below it? Just curious as the location this would not be physically possible...
  • But this is how ion cannons work. They're canon. You see what happens when Star Destroyers get blasted by them in ESB.
  • Jello770
    5592 posts Member
    It’s their only counter against Interceptors
    Psn: Jello770
  • LeftTurnus
    1097 posts Member
    DrX2345 wrote: »

I like this idea. Currently there are zero drawbacks to it. That is the problem. The Droid and Empire bombers only have extra missiles, which are easily countered.
    Also the radar jammer which breaks missile lock does not seem to break the aimbot Ion cannon, which it should...
  • LeftTurnus
    1097 posts Member
    And for those saying there isn't a problem, take a Y-wing to the Tie Fighter spawn area on Hoth in GA. No fighters can really get out if the Y wing pilot has half of a brain and spams the aimbot ion turret. It is a tad OP ...
  • crssquared wrote: »
    But this is how ion cannons work. They're canon. You see what happens when Star Destroyers get blasted by them in ESB.

Like how lightsabers can't even slice a skinny useless battle droid or anything in the entire game? Or how a single bolt doesn't kill you? Remember those being in the movies? No, because it's a game and that is the balance to make it enjoyable. THe ion cannon has no drawbacks besides the inability to hit targets under a certian dome targeting on the top of the bomber, which, mind you, is easily remedied by simply rolling the ship, as stated before. Everything else gets tweaked to fit this being a game, yet this should be the thing that stays the same, giving the one side a significant advantage against every enemy in it's path?