criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
August Community Calendar
Battle Point Event Heroes Unleashed

Seasons with one new map, mode and occasionally 2 heroes

Prev1
TheStalker88
6084 posts Member
edited May 2018
Seems like the Solo season will mirror TLJ which gave us only one new map. Now look back at bf15 dlcs with 4 maps each and realise how much less we're getting now: one new map per season, one season every 4 or so months. Do you guys think this is what the roadmap will look like for all future seasons or do you think that devs will try harder and why?

Replies

• Toddyrocket
    2400 posts Member
    They did say we will sometimes get heroes out of seasons
    So as long as that happens we shouldn't have anything to worry about
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Yeah not always. Not even 2 new heroes are guaranteed. Alot of people are saying EA and Dice have lost incentive to release more because they're not making money anymore. From TLJ season and leaks on Solo content, seems they're pretty accurate so far. If this is really true then dark times are upon us.
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    And yet we havent gotten anything in like 6 months. That's pretty bad on the frequency scale. And come on, it took devs that long to implement the new progression system that they couldn't add a new one map 2 hero season every 1.5 months? Sounds like excuses to me
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    More like bits and pieces than seasons. A season is a map, a mode or item and a couple of heroes. This is nothing
  • And yet we havent gotten anything in like 6 months. That's pretty bad on the frequency scale. And come on, it took devs that long to implement the new progression system that they couldn't add a new one map 2 hero season every 1.5 months? Sounds like excuses to me
    Weve gotten something every month since December.
    December was tlj season
    January brought idens tie
    February brought a new game mode.
    March we got progression 2.0 and bespin
    April we got customization and ewok hunt.
    May is gonna bring lots of new content.

Most of that is reused content.. The customization wasn't that good and they should've done Clone Legions, Darth Maul Cyborg, and better hero skins. All we got was Chewbacca with an arm patch, Kylo Ren with a scar, and most of the trooper skins were from the first game. Season 2 should've been Clone Wars but Dice chose to ignore the community. Stormtroopers, Droids, and The First Order could've gotten their own skins but Dice only did the Rebels/Resistance. I can tell that most of those skins were from Battlefront (2015)
  • Seems like the Solo season will mirror TLJ which gave us only one new map. Now look back at bf15 dlcs with 4 maps each and realise how much less we're getting now: one new map per season, one season every 4 or so months. Do you guys think this is what the roadmap will look like for all future seasons or do you think that devs will try harder and why?

But think about how much more content this game had at the beginning than the original. I think they will begin to give us better seasons, this season took them 5 months where as TLJ had to be worked on alongside the actual game.
    "It's true. All of it. The Dark Side. The Jedi. They're real". -Han Solo
    okjzkqv763wu.png
    On Yoda's Flying Chair: The floating chair has a little area in between the hovering part and his cushion that allows him to go whenever he wants. That is why Mace always looks like he just smelled something bad.
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    Not much at all if you divide it by 3. Too lazy to count small vs big mode maps but it isn't that much at all, maybe 30% more
  • hsf_
    1820 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    And yet we havent gotten anything in like 6 months. That's pretty bad on the frequency scale. And come on, it took devs that long to implement the new progression system that they couldn't add a new one map 2 hero season every 1.5 months? Sounds like excuses to me
    December was tlj season
    January brought idens tie - A welcome addition, but it should not have been released by its self.
    February brought a new game mode. - Jet pack cargo, no one asked for.
    March we got progression 2.0 and bespin - Their fault to begin with. Bespin is a port of the 2015 version.
    April we got customization and ewok hunt. - Ewok hunt? ¬_¬
    May is gonna bring lots of new content. - Solo season, which is fair enough as it's because of the movie, but it won't come with "lots of new content" I wouldn't think.
    I mean I get what you're saying, but it's not right. This isn't how it should have been, reworking the progression system has clearly put them back 3 months or so. They don't get a pass for that in my eyes, because it's their fault to begin with!
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Working on progression should not have prevented them from adding more content. One does not effect the other.
  • mastery0ta
    6131 posts Member
    Will be like the first game. 4 DLCs or "seasons" , then abandon the game in the ditch for greener pastures
  • Working on progression should not have prevented them from adding more content. One does not effect the other.

How do you know?
  • DarthJ
    6534 posts Member
    Working on progression should not have prevented them from adding more content. One does not effect the other.

How do you know?

Dont tell me you actually believe when they said everyone was working on the progression system. After launch they claimed to have a much larger team than the previous game still working on this game (120+ according to someone on here a while back). So you are telling me all 120+ were working on that? So map designers, hero designers, concept artists, etc?

I get it held things up, but its a massive exaggeration to claim everyone was working on it.
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • Lee1981
    1985 posts Member
    t3hBar0n wrote: »
    December was tlj season

How DARE you refute wild hyperbole... don't you know this is the internet where feelings = truth!?
    Yes they have thrown out bits here and there for the last 6 months,
    but lets be honest, when you actually add up what we have been given it really is pathetic

• DarthJ
    6534 posts Member
    Lee1981 wrote: »
    December was tlj season

How DARE you refute wild hyperbole... don't you know this is the internet where feelings = truth!?
    but lets be honest, when you actually add up what we have been given it really is pathetic

You cant use logic against the Merry Men, they will probably get you banned for that
  • People keep quoting Dennis tweet waaay back in February about how we should not get hung up on seasons. However that was back when he was hinting at season 2 being Clone Wars. Obviously plans changed however as they had to focus on the progression fix which took up the next couple months leaving no time to release Clone Wars when Solo was already around the corner. I believe the original plan was to release Clone Wars content shortly after TLJ season, and then release Solo but now they have to wait to drop clone wars. SO, summing up my thoughts, a lot has changed since that tweet and I feel now seasons will be a lot more content heavy than first planned to make up for lost time as well as appease a community that is a little shaken.

At least I hope.
    "...let the past die. Kill it, if you have to. That's the only way to become what you are meant to be."
    source.gif
  • Lee1981
    1985 posts Member
    DarthJ wrote: »
    December was tlj season

You cant use logic against the Merry Men, they will probably get you banned for that

I know, I’ve been banned 2-3 times for fighting against the fan boy machine
  • Lee1981
    1985 posts Member
    December was tlj season

People can argue all they want about the quality of the post launch content, but stating "And yet we havent gotten anything in like 6 months" is so patently false that it shreds any sense of credibility in the post.

So you agree that the content has been pants to now then???????

Probably not, after all there is 2-3 members who do nothing but defend the game continuously

Mentioning no names cough cough
  • DarthJ wrote: »

How do you know?

Dont tell me you actually believe when they said everyone was working on the progression system. After launch they claimed to have a much larger team than the previous game still working on this game (120+ according to someone on here a while back). So you are telling me all 120+ were working on that? So map designers, hero designers, concept artists, etc?

I get it held things up, but its a massive exaggeration to claim everyone was working on it.

So what’s your take on it then? Lazy developers? They can’t be bothered to work? They are holding back content to spite you? What do you have?
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Devs were probably moved to new projects since it's not making much money for EA. That's what happened with the previous game as well. Battlefield always gets the better treatment since it's EAs little baby.
  • t3hBar0n
    5001 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Devs were probably moved to new projects since it's not making much money for EA. That's what happened with the previous game as well. Battlefield always gets the better treatment since it's EAs little baby.

There was an interview years ago with I think the president of Bioware or some such and he was asked why they hadn't developed another KOTOR rather than developing the original Mass Effect... he basically said that while Star Wars is a marquee franchise, because of the licensing fee's involved it was cost prohibitive to develop on that IP as LucasArts would always be the primary beneficiary... it was much better business to develop their own IP which is exactly what they did (Mass Effect). In the case of DICE, Battlefield is their own IP, and thus their return on investment will always be much higher on that IP because they don't have to pay the exorbitant (last I read was 20%) licensing fee's to LucasArts.

EDIT: Here is the quote...
    But this KOTOR 2 concept never made it any further. BioWare bosses Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk called it off. "It was a very smart decision on their part," Ohlen says. "In order for a company to be successful and control its own destiny you need to own your own IP, and we didn't own Dungeons & Dragons or Star Wars. Mass Effect was something we decided we had to do instead of another Star Wars game."
  • Prof_Moriarty
    1366 posts Member
    edited May 2018

So can’t you see how working on the progression could’ve effected the content development?
  • DrX2345
    2888 posts Member
    I reckon there is a couple of maps lined up for Solo and then possibly some CW content after the season, but they're waiting to release it. At least, I hope that's the case... I don't want to believe that progression was the only thing they were working on in the largely dry 6 month period. Hopefully we'll start getting more content more frequently after Solo finishes.
    OOM19 wrote: »

Imagine it

A horde of Bipedal Millennium Falcons with cheeseburgers for legs
    If there seems to be random words or phrases in my post that don't make sense, blame Autocorrect.
    #COOMCAIBDJF
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited May 2018

So can’t you see how working on the progression could’ve effected the content development?

It shouldn't have taken more than 1 person to rework the menus and add skill points after leveling up. It probably takes one command line to assign and add one skill point to a class or hero after each level up. And yeah they needed to add a skill point counter in the menus. Woopty doo!
  • Devs were probably moved to new projects since it's not making much money for EA. That's what happened with the previous game as well. Battlefield always gets the better treatment since it's EAs little baby.

It shouldn't have taken more than 1 person to rework the menus and add skill points after leveling up

Right, I don’t think that’s how it works man. You have experience with this sort of thing? Especially while dealing with a mega-IP like Star Wars?
  • Dezert
    206 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    One map is measly and disappointing. I chalk it up as we're not giving EA income or MTX. I would pay $100 for 4 DLC Packs with EACH having 4 new maps, Galactic Conquest, player stats, 2 new weapons and 2 new heroes. I love this game but the post-release content is a joke. There is still hope, but as time passes that hope dwindles.

A Battlefield-style Battlefront wouldhave been yuge, a proven winning formula. $60 game, $50 season pass and much higher player population. Reboot 2005.
    XBox/Steam/Origin >> M1chaelSavage
    1UcxMVz.gif
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>>>>>> Player Stats we will have <<<<<<<
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    It's definitely not something that should take 3 months to do and not more than a couple of people. Skill points are like xp points, they're tied and tracked the same way. Just one line of code to add a skill point after leveling up should be enough and another line to convert crafting parts into skill points. Then one line to turn a skill point to a higher level card. Sure, add a layer of verification to make sure things add up but that's about it. Simple math and coding on top of already built math and calculating xp points
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Maybe the seasons will have a couple of maps instead of one but still, SW deserves better. At least we should be getting 2 or 3 ported maps per month as well as the measly 1 map every 1.5 months seasons (which we never kept getting anyways).
  • ross42899
    1494 posts Member
    hsf_ wrote: »
    December was tlj season
    January brought idens tie - A welcome addition, but it should not have been released by its self.
    February brought a new game mode. - Jet pack cargo, no one asked for.
    March we got progression 2.0 and bespin - Their fault to begin with. Bespin is a port of the 2015 version.
    April we got customization and ewok hunt. - Ewok hunt? ¬_¬
    May is gonna bring lots of new content. - Solo season, which is fair enough as it's because of the movie, but it won't come with "lots of new content" I wouldn't think.
    I mean I get what you're saying, but it's not right. This isn't how it should have been, reworking the progression system has clearly put them back 3 months or so. They don't get a pass for that in my eyes, because it's their fault to begin with!

New content for Bf2 is new content for BF2. No matter if it's recyled from BF2015 or not. And even if no one asked for Jet pack cargo or Ewok hunt it's nevertheless new content for BF2.

I prefer small, recylced content drops between major content seasons, than not getting anything new at all.

I agree that we probably would have gotten more content by now, if they didn't have to redo the progression system, though.

Nevertheless I'm looking forward to the Solo season and hope they will add a decent amount of content and I'm pretty sure we will get a CW themed season along the line.
  • Crabman
    201 posts Member
    December was tlj season

TLJ was able to be launched with the game but SW movie gotta draw it out.

Wow Iden's TIE; a campaign assest they brought over because? To which I still haven't see one flying around. Everyone always picks other better hero ships.

Jetpack cargo; a limited time mode no one asked for. Given that it was limited time that refutes it being actual content. If you didn't play/didn't have the game during that period you missed out on. Great "content" drop there aye.

Progression 2.0 or what I call it "unnecessary grind simulator". They had a good system before; unorthodox but it worked. You could get on playing the game. Now you have to literally grind to get things and it's all people do. "Come grind heroes in HvV?" Instead of "let's play HvV. Majority of the people that cried about the progression system aren't playing the game anymore. Just like ttk 2.0 for bf1; the people that wanted it weren't playing the game anymore and so stuffed it up for everyone else who enjoyed the way it was before hence still playing.
    Oh Bespin? You mean a map they had available at launch just didn't put it in rotation or arcade? New content; ha! Withheld content to make it look like they are making us stuff (which is seems plenty fell for).

Customsation; oh boy that mess heap of disappointment and frustration. "40 trooper skins". Convenient to not mention it's actually not 40 skins because the rebellion/resistance all have the same skins you just need to buy em twice for each faction. Not to mention locked alien races and genders and obvious skins that took sooo long to make; Wounded Chewie is props why actual content is behind schedule just pwhaorrrr.

Again Ewok Hunt is a limited time mode; a nice twist on infected but not "new cotent". Especially considering it was meant to last a month and it only lasted TWO WEEKS! Oh but dice brought it back for the weekend for "May the 4th". Woopie. Double XP and they make weekend challenges to play ewok hunt which doesn't level anything up but player level (which is useless and how many are already max rank).

~

If you feel it nessecary to defend Dice/EA at every turn go right ahead. Doesn't dismiss the fact this game's "free live service" is total garbage just like plenty of us forewarned when it was first annouced.

The best example of free dlc is Titanfall 2. It got a total of 6 maps over 11 months with 5 being remakes. Two remade weapons and one new Titan. Support ended for the game before it was even 12 months old.

Meanwhile battlefield 1 with its paid dlc/premium model (shock horror) launched 4 dlc's which promised 16 maps and 20 weapons. We ended up with 21 maps and 32 weapons (not counting variants) with two addition weapon packs for free due to arrive before support finishes up by June. The big complaint besides "muh paid dlc" (because $15 a dlc or $50 for premium is just soo much money...) was the time period between dlc drops which were SHORTER then SWBF2. Before launch Dice annouced that the first dlc TSNP would launch in March. (And given that time frame it would've been so easy just to put away $8 a month and you'd have premium by the time the first dlc came out).

I don't know about you but the paid model seems better all around for everyone. Devs get return on their work, players get cotent and a timetable and other important details such as the expected amount etc.

This free dlc model is just whenever the devs can be bother to hint at something. We could be strung along for 2 years on the hint of "free dlc" and never actually get anything half decent let alone actual content.

• People keep quoting Dennis tweet waaay back in February about how we should not get hung up on seasons. However that was back when he was hinting at season 2 being Clone Wars. Obviously plans changed however as they had to focus on the progression fix which took up the next couple months leaving no time to release Clone Wars when Solo was already around the corner. I believe the original plan was to release Clone Wars content shortly after TLJ season, and then release Solo but now they have to wait to drop clone wars. SO, summing up my thoughts, a lot has changed since that tweet and I feel now seasons will be a lot more content heavy than first planned to make up for lost time as well as appease a community that is a little shaken.

At least I hope.

Finally some wisdom.
    "It's true. All of it. The Dark Side. The Jedi. They're real". -Han Solo
    okjzkqv763wu.png
    On Yoda's Flying Chair: The floating chair has a little area in between the hovering part and his cushion that allows him to go whenever he wants. That is why Mace always looks like he just smelled something bad.

At least I hope.

Finally some wisdom.

B)
    "...let the past die. Kill it, if you have to. That's the only way to become what you are meant to be."
    source.gif
  • Devlin21
    8325 posts Member
    So everyone just assuming we only getting one ga map?
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• Jello770
    5592 posts Member
    December was tlj season

Ohh the irony
    Psn: Jello770
  • Devlin21
    8325 posts Member
    Jello770 wrote: »
    December was tlj season

Ohh the irony

:D :D
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• t3hBar0n
    5001 posts Member
    So everyone just assuming we only getting one ga map?

Yes, I would be shocked if we got more than that. I would assume it will be the same drill as the last movie.
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member

This is absolutely not true. When changing something as big and far reaching as progression (this is the very core of the game, it effects every part of the players experience) the last thing you want to do is have an unstable platform.

All game changes come with bugs, and big changes have even greater chances of bringing them. If they pushed progressing and customization along side of a bunch of other changes just figuring out what change or changes combined actually caused something to bug out becomes a monumental challenge.

The good side of that is progression while far reaching doesn't stop those other guys from creating new assets, it just stops them from getting added as quickly as possible. The level designers and animation team, and guys who create new skins and models heroes and weapons have had more time to get what is likely a large backload of assets ready to get tested and implemented.

Now that such a big change is out of the way, the team themselves have said they are looking to increase the speed of new content, but they can't just do that overnight. We get season 2 this month, and news that will likely give us a solid idea what to expect is coming next week.

I know we've been patient a long time, but over the last two months we've had a complete overhaul, the introduction of cosmetics, and finally we've seen improved communication and hotfixes for some of the more serious issues. That's not a small amount of work for two months, and adding in season 2 this month sounds like if anything the team is still going strong and working hard.

Progression does not effect anything in the game whatsoever, no physics, rendering, hit detection or any stability issues. All it does is counts numbers and xp AFTER the game is over. Dont tell me they couldn't work on other content because they had to make sure xp and skill points were adding correctly for 3 months.
  • Crabman
    201 posts Member

This is absolutely not true. When changing something as big and far reaching as progression (this is the very core of the game, it effects every part of the players experience) the last thing you want to do is have an unstable platform.

All game changes come with bugs, and big changes have even greater chances of bringing them. If they pushed progressing and customization along side of a bunch of other changes just figuring out what change or changes combined actually caused something to bug out becomes a monumental challenge.

The good side of that is progression while far reaching doesn't stop those other guys from creating new assets, it just stops them from getting added as quickly as possible. The level designers and animation team, and guys who create new skins and models heroes and weapons have had more time to get what is likely a large backload of assets ready to get tested and implemented.

Now that such a big change is out of the way, the team themselves have said they are looking to increase the speed of new content, but they can't just do that overnight. We get season 2 this month, and news that will likely give us a solid idea what to expect is coming next week.

I know we've been patient a long time, but over the last two months we've had a complete overhaul, the introduction of cosmetics, and finally we've seen improved communication and hotfixes for some of the more serious issues. That's not a small amount of work for two months, and adding in season 2 this month sounds like if anything the team is still going strong and working hard.

Progression does not effect anything in the game whatsoever, no physics, rendering, hit detection or any stability issues. All it does is counts numbers and xp AFTER the game is over. Dont tell me they couldn't work on other content because they had to make sure xp and skill points were adding correctly for 3 months.

Not to mention still have not enabled being able to level up cards, unlock cards, unlock new mods/weapons between matches or ingame.

Because waiting an eternity to load in and out of matches just to level up one card is so much fun
  • So everyone just assuming we only getting one ga map?

I hope so, cause if any season has more than one in a season I want it to be CW
    Top favorite heroes and villains missing:
    Ahsoka, Rex, Padme, Cody, Mace
    Bane, Thrawn, Ventress, Jango, Savage
    0np8u7zs8tne.gif
  • Working on progression should not have prevented them from adding more content. One does not effect the other.

Did you even read his post?

Seriously, I’d love to hear your reasoning on what is really going on here. Without your ”should”s. You’re saying they probably lost a lot of staff and that the progression overhaul is a one man job: Are you suggesting there’s just one man on the development team or that they are so incompetent they have 50 guys working on something one man could’ve done? The latter sounds incredibly arrogant. Or are you saying one man did it and the rest of them just sat there, staring?
  • DarthJ
    6534 posts Member

How do you know?

So what’s your take on it then? Lazy developers? They can’t be bothered to work? They are holding back content to spite you? What do you have?

I wouldnt say any of those @Prof_Moriarty , I dont wish to do them a disservice. Maybe they had been told not to by EA/Disney, I dont know. We can all speculate. Bottom line I guess is we all want this to succeed, I just hope it gets better going forward. We have seen signs with some quick fixes recently at least and F8RGEs communication
  • t3hBar0n
    5001 posts Member

How do you know?

I wouldnt say any of those @Prof_Moriarty , I dont wish to do them a disservice. Maybe they had been told not to by EA/Disney, I dont know. We can all speculate. Bottom line I guess is we all want this to succeed, I just hope it gets better going forward. We have seen signs with some quick fixes recently at least and F8RGEs communication

Hopefully once the movie tie in is out of the way Disney will back off on what is going to be released when and we can get a more free flow of content... time will tell.
  • Willytac
    27 posts Member
    mastery0ta wrote: »
    Will be like the first game. 4 DLCs or "seasons" , then abandon the game in the ditch for greener pastures

This is exactly it. they are already dumping all their big plans because the money is gone. get on with life.
  • WarfareKiller41
    6779 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Of course it does. They had less devs focusing on the content.
    A thousand generations live in you now, but this is your fight.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif