criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Responses by ben about endor leia and preorder skins, and other news

Prev1
Devlin21
8322 posts Member
Source

https://www.reddit.com/user/F8RGE/comments

The preorder appearances, because of the fact they were connected to pre orders have a different ruleset around then. I'll double check when everyone is back in the office but I believe there maybe some legal ruleset.

Keep in mind, that although you will be happy for everyone else to receive them (great attitude IMO), other people won't share that thought. As was evidenced when we brought back appearance challenges before Night on Endor launched. Some people took serious offense to the fact that other people were getting a chance to receive the appearances.

I said in another post, we are looking into the rewards for future challenges, with current thinking being that they'd reward either appearances that haven't been released yet (Hoth Han etc), or we'd only use an appearance that's been out for a considerable length of time.

I don't have anything to add on the roadmap, except that I keep making sure people are aware that it's required / wanted.

We have more than 7 people working on the game.

keeboxdf4h4g.gif

Replies

• Spiito
    1831 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Crabman wrote: »
    Classic. Get our info second hand off reddit.

Nice to see Dice still hasn't changed in that regard.

*Considering* (I mean...)

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/comment/1071437#Comment_1071437

*Sarcasm* Why should a community manager feel compelled to post and inform people of stuff here, when they know that information they provide anywhere will get passed around. ( You know, besides the fact that it's their job to deliver news to everyone.)

*Genuine* Thanks for the info, @Devastator21823
    Post edited by Spiito on
    Weltschmerz
  • Madbri
    235 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    People need to leave the poor guy alone sometimes. He does Have a life outside of the office. My god he cant even enjoy it with out people asking the same questions all the time n hassleing him.
  • DarthJ
    6333 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Good to see some news.

Slightly worrying though is the 'more than 7 people' line. The pessimistic side of me says it may be only 10 or so, which is a massive drop from the 120+ claim a couple of months ago. I only hope that content for other stuff is pretty much done.

The optimistic side of me says its business as usual and theres plenty of them with lots to work on.
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • DarthJ wrote: »
    Good to see some news.

Slightly worrying though is the 'more than 7 people' line. The pessimistic side of me says it may be only 10 or so, which is a massive drop from the 120+ claim a couple of months ago. I only hope that content for other stuff is pretty much done.

The optimistic side of me says its business as usual and theres plenty of them with lots to work on.

He said that in direct response to some one saying "they only have 7 people working on this game"
  • DarthJ
    6333 posts Member
    DarthJ wrote: »
    Good to see some news.

He said that in direct response to some one saying "they only have 7 people working on this game"

I get that. Just wish he had of said a number, even 30+ would have been welcome. Just 2 sides to it for me. Hoping its nothing and business as usual.
  • Empire_TW
    5984 posts Member
    Good to see some news.

I think the quality of this upcoming season will finally give the answer or at the very least hint on how large the staff is.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • DarthJ
    6333 posts Member
    Empire_TW wrote: »
    Good to see some news.

I think the quality of this upcoming season will finally give the answer or at the very least hint on how large the staff is.

Agreed.
  • Crabman
    201 posts Member
    Spiito wrote: »
    Classic. Get our info second hand off reddit.

Nice to see Dice still hasn't changed in that regard.

(I mean...)

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/comment/1071437#Comment_1071437

Why should a community manager feel compelled to post and inform people of stuff here, when they know that information they provide anywhere will get passed around. (You know, besides the fact that it's their job to deliver news to everyone.)

Thanks for the info, @Devastator21823

Well for starters it kinda their job is it not?

It's not like he doesn't have the power on the forums to make a sticky announcement thread on the top of GD so it's one of the first threads you see when you log on (and it has the most traffic; highly doubt anyone is checking everytime they log in the News and Annoucements sections for a new obscure thread. A simple new tag on particular sections like that would go along way but alas it's one of the many things the forum lacks.

I believe I already checked that thread and saw what needed to be seen. Nothing wrong with the community sharing info as such (I highly encourage it and did it myself on the battlefield forums). The problem is that reddit gets this before us and usually we only get it if someone is brave enough to venture into the murky depths of that place to extract it. This is the offical forums and sorry if I find it irritating we are quite often last to receive any news if at all. Communication is still very hit and miss with the devs and the community.

~

Now actually regarding the shared post I find it very concerning the only info we get back about a roadmap we already know; of course we know they are asking for it. Like really?

It's nice they are having a discussion about skins and challenges but it's rather a moot point. It's the same as if someone buys a game and it's cheaper a week later. That's just how it is. If people want I get something now they have to accept that fact. Yes I understand the frustration but at the end of the day it's just skins. They have zero impact on gameplay; and if you are playing this game for skins well that's says enough on its own.

The remark about more than 7 devs is rather scary. If you are going to say that why not just come out and say the actual amount? It could be 8 for all we know

• alunguy
    582 posts Member
    @F8RGE
    Saying people are salty because they don't want others to have the skin is just wrong. I have no problem with everyone getting a chance to unlock skins but it's not going to encourage people to spend money on crystals for costumes when they could just be a challenge a week later. It leaves a bad taste in some peoples mouths and it's completely avoidable. I appreciate that they are now looking to change it in the future but that statement triggered me a little.
  • Spiito
    1831 posts Member

It's not like he doesn't have the power on the forums to make a sticky announcement thread on the top of GD so it's one of the first threads you see when you log on (and it has the most traffic; highly doubt anyone is checking everytime they log in the News and Annoucements sections for a new obscure thread. A simple new tag on particular sections like that would go along way but alas it's one of the many things the forum lacks.

I believe I already checked that thread and saw what needed to be seen. Nothing wrong with the community sharing info as such (I highly encourage it and did it myself on the battlefield forums). The problem is that reddit gets this before us and usually we only get it if someone is brave enough to venture into the murky depths of that place to extract it. This is the offical forums and sorry if I find it irritating we are quite often last to receive any news if at all. Communication is still very hit and miss with the devs and the community.

~

Now actually regarding the shared post I find it very concerning the only info we get back about a roadmap we already know; of course we know they are asking for it. Like really?

It's nice they are having a discussion about skins and challenges but it's rather a moot point. It's the same as if someone buys a game and it's cheaper a week later. That's just how it is. If people want I get something now they have to accept that fact. Yes I understand the frustration but at the end of the day it's just skins. They have zero impact on gameplay; and if you are playing this game for skins well that's says enough on its own.

The remark about more than 7 devs is rather scary. If you are going to say that why not just come out and say the actual amount? It could be 8 for all we know
    Sorry if my sarcasm was too obscure to be evident.
    *Within scratched out font;* "(You know, besides the fact that it's their job to deliver news to everyone.)" Was supposed to be the tell. But I guess my message wasn't clear cut enough. I've altered my original post to include indicators on what was being said how, although I'm not sure if it conveys my point entirely. *Shrug*

Yeah, nothing wrong with the community sharing info at all, it's just kind of weird that they have to, due to the lack of consistency from the community manager and their noteworthy absence.
    Agreeably, I feel as though the situation is very hit and miss and irritating as well.

I have a few ideas as to why they wouldn't share a road map or information about it. But that's just all speculation, so I suppose it'd be better to keep it to myself.
    In the lootcrate system; Getting duplicates of things people already owned used to generate credits back. It seems unusual that Duplicate Credit compensation has been limited to such a meager payout on a moderately priced skin. (500/1k credits back if you already had the Leia skin.) I don't care about what I did or didn't get, when or why. Ultimately; that seems like an illogical compensation for a duplicate item people already have. (Regardless of how or why they got it.) The numbers just feel off.

*Light-hearted and enthusiastically* It could be eight!
    Weltschmerz
  • Crabman
    201 posts Member
    Spiito wrote: »

~

Sorry if my sarcasm was too obscure to be evident.
    *Within scratched out font;* "(You know, besides the fact that it's their job to deliver news to everyone.)" Was supposed to be the tell. But I guess my message wasn't clear cut enough. I've altered my original post to include indicators on what was being said how, although I'm not sure if it conveys my point entirely. *Shrug*

Yeah, nothing wrong with the community sharing info at all, it's just kind of weird that they have to, due to the lack of consistency from the community manager and their noteworthy absence.
    Agreeably, I feel as though the situation is very hit and miss and irritating as well.

I have a few ideas as to why they wouldn't share a road map or information about it. But that's just all speculation, so I suppose it'd be better to keep it to myself.
    In the lootcrate system; Getting duplicates of things people already owned used to generate credits back. It seems unusual that Duplicate Credit compensation has been limited to such a meager payout on a moderately priced skin. (500/1k credits back if you already had the Leia skin.) I don't care about what I did or didn't get, when or why. Ultimately; that seems like an illogical compensation for a duplicate item people already have. (Regardless of how or why they got it.) The numbers just feel off.

*Light-hearted and enthusiastically* It could be eight!

HRGTubtrNZlZeoB1WrPrxTT2P3GbTMG34fqJat0t0KF1Plba8AqMfXowD5ecTKIIIHHtsQ=w480-h206-nc

My apologies; take everything quite literally first time with these forums unless i know the poster/see the sarcasm tag. Haven't really been on this on too long to figure out people's post patterns yet ehe

• Crabman
    201 posts Member
    F8RGE wrote: »
    In terms of the pre-order appearances, there is a legal stipulation that we can't just give them away (at least not straight away). Once this window has passed, we can look at making them available.

Is it 12 months?

Also being a owner of pre-order skins I had zero issue with em becoming available being that it's a skin and I'm sure many would like em (especially since it's only two skins)
    One of my mates would like Jedi training for Rey but doesn't like the other two.

I find if people are upset by that possibility to be rather petty. It's a skin. We've had them since launch/pre launch for deluxe owners. Will it honestly kill someone to let em be available for 40 credits a piece 7 months later?

Just my opinion
  • SVEJ
    1162 posts Member
    In terms of the pre-order appearances, there is a legal stipulation that we can't just give them away (at least not straight away). Once this window has passed, we can look at making them available.

Is it 12 months?

Also being a owner of pre-order skins I had zero issue with em becoming available being that it's a skin and I'm sure many would like em (especially since it's only two skins)
    One of my mates would like Jedi training for Rey but doesn't like the other two.

I find if people are upset by that possibility to be rather petty. It's a skin. We've had them since launch/pre launch for deluxe owners. Will it honestly kill someone to let em be available for 40 credits a piece 7 months later?

Just my opinion

So you have no issue to pay extra and receive extra content and then a few months later everyone gets that content for basically free, you know us who paid for the deluxe editions basically paid to give everyone the free skins, and i do NOT like that. Either make the pre order content EXCLUSIVE or tell us in the advertisement that the skins will be unlocked later on.
  • alunguy wrote: »
    @F8RGE
    Saying people are salty because they don't want others to have the skin is just wrong. I have no problem with everyone getting a chance to unlock skins but it's not going to encourage people to spend money on crystals for costumes when they could just be a challenge a week later. It leaves a bad taste in some peoples mouths and it's completely avoidable. I appreciate that they are now looking to change it in the future but that statement triggered me a little.

This. I nearly unlocked the Endor Leia with credits last week, then decided to unlock Ach To Rey instead. I am very glad I did that, because I would have been SO angry that I could have got it for free a few days later.
    Just out of interest, if you already have Endor Leia unlocked and you complete the challenges, do you receive equivalent credits to buy a different skin as compensation?
  • BucksawBoushh
    4745 posts Member
    edited May 2018

I’m not so fussed about people having those skins, but that was the main incentive to preorder. That makes them, you know, “exclusive to preorder”?

The Rey and Kylo skin from this initial customization update are nearly identical to the preorder skins. That should suffice.
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • Spiito
    1831 posts Member
    HJw4iUn.gif
    Weltschmerz
  • Crabman
    201 posts Member
    SVEJ wrote: »

Is it 12 months?

Just my opinion

So you have no issue to pay extra and receive extra content and then a few months later everyone gets that content for basically free, you know us who paid for the deluxe editions basically paid to give everyone the free skins, and i do NOT like that. Either make the pre order content EXCLUSIVE or tell us in the advertisement that the skins will be unlocked later on.

NO ONE paid anything for those pre order skins. You simply PRE ordered the game (either physically or digitally).

First and foremost; it's TWO skins. Skins that have zero impact on the game.

You've had the skins since launch. Is that not enough for you? You had customsation before majority of the playerbase. And both are hero skins.

It is really going to affect your gameplay if people can get this skin with credits or pay $10 to get it?

How would you even know if they got it via preorder or not anyhow?
  • bfloo
    14785 posts Member

Is it 12 months?

Just my opinion

NO ONE paid anything for those pre order skins. You simply PRE ordered the game (either physically or digitally).

You've had the skins since launch. Is that not enough for you? You had customsation before majority of the playerbase. And both are hero skins.

It is really going to affect your gameplay if people can get this skin with credits or pay $10 to get it?

I never knew this was even a concern.

If I could give mine away, I would, I don't use either one.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• DarthJ
    6333 posts Member
    @F8RGE can you say how many are still working on the game? Or a rough number?
  • Devlin21
    8322 posts Member

7-1/2
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• Han_Spinel
    1102 posts Member
    alunguy wrote: »
    @F8RGE

This. I nearly unlocked the Endor Leia with credits last week, then decided to unlock Ach To Rey instead. I am very glad I did that, because I would have been SO angry that I could have got it for free a few days later.
    Just out of interest, if you already have Endor Leia unlocked and you complete the challenges, do you receive equivalent credits to buy a different skin as compensation?

You most certainly do not. The crate contains 1000 credits....
    In 1977, a single shot rang out at the Cantina.... No first, no second. Han shot - end of statement.

PSN: Han_Spinel
    Youtube: Han Spinel
    Twitter: @Han_Spinel
    The Unofficial Star Wars Battlefront Campaign Companion
  • Devlin21
    8322 posts Member
    Regarding the appearances. Keep in mind that some people got very angry when we brought back the challenges to get the Leia and Han ones again a few weeks back. The reason was that they earned them so nobody else should get them. Factor that by someone who has purchased the deluxe edition.

Not everyone is as easy going as some of you maybe.

True, imagine if y'all made the hoth skins purchasable.

Tbh, i think if yall brought back the rodian skin for rebels or resistance, or a different type of rare skin, there would be less outrage.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• Crabman wrote: »

Is it 12 months?

Just my opinion

The skins are a bonus for the digital deluxe version, even after the preorder period was over, although yes, they were for any version preordered. Seeing as how all the other content is easily earned in game I can understand where some people might feel a bit ripped off if they spent extra money to get those skins and then they were released.

I personally wouldn't mind, heck if I could trade mine for the new Rey and Kylo skins I would because I prefer both the new skins. It's probably best that they leave them exclusive or that they at least wait a long time to make them available some other way.
  • You can buy the pre-order skins right now and get some cards on top of it too
  • Devlin21
    8322 posts Member
    You can buy the pre-order skins right now and get some cards on top of it too

You cant buy the preorder skins.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• GenxDarchi
    7681 posts Member

Does it really matter? It'll go one of two ways:

"OMG, there's only x people working on the game"

or

"Come on, you've got y people working on the game and you can't do <insert feature here>"

Alright keep your hair on. There would be some who say 'OK great keep up the good work' on hearing an answer. May be a minority sure but we arent all angry on here!

Well, I guarantee that there are people who would forward the response to Reddit, and that would be just about all the responses.
    You guys are gonna make me rich......
    Xbox G-tag
    XJO461
    That Specialist rework was disappointing.
    nceaq2h23fqj.png

• I bought the pre-order stuff and got Kyle ren and Reys outfits plus all the star cards and weapons, I guess they must of been removed or something
  • Han_Spinel
    1102 posts Member
    Marawd3r wrote: »

or

"Come on, you've got y people working on the game and you can't do <insert feature here>"
    Both statements would be absolutely correct. Either way, it's bad and the fault certainly isn't with the playerbase.
    Regarding the appearances. Keep in mind that some people got very angry when we brought back the challenges to get the Leia and Han ones again a few weeks back. The reason was that they earned them so nobody else should get them. Factor that by someone who has purchased the deluxe edition.
    How can you even compare the two situations?

The Endor Leia skin wasn't earned thru challenges, it had to be purchased.
    40,000 credits, that's at least 20 hours of playtime for some people. Or 10 real life dollars.
    Two and a half weeks later, that same Endor Leia skin becomes available thru a series of measly challenges that anyone can finish in under two hours.

Waw, I'm baffled that you can't see how wrongful that is.

Worse still, in my opinion, is that some purchased or finally earned enough credits to purchase the Leia Endor skin the week it then became available through Timed Challenges. All because we weren’t made aware that one of the highest priced items in the brand new MTX system would be released for free shortly thereafter.
    In 1977, a single shot rang out at the Cantina.... No first, no second. Han shot - end of statement.

PSN: Han_Spinel
    Youtube: Han Spinel
    Twitter: @Han_Spinel
    The Unofficial Star Wars Battlefront Campaign Companion
  • Crabman
    201 posts Member
    edited May 2018

Is it 12 months?

Just my opinion

The skins are a bonus for the digital deluxe version, even after the preorder period was over, although yes, they were for any version preordered. Seeing as how all the other content is easily earned in game I can understand where some people might feel a bit ripped off if they spent extra money to get those skins and then they were released.

I personally wouldn't mind, heck if I could trade mine for the new Rey and Kylo skins I would because I prefer both the new skins. It's probably best that they leave them exclusive or that they at least wait a long time to make them available some other way.

Now that they have been transferred as a fixed item in deluxe edition/upgrade (which I assume exists?) identical to bf1's hellfighter preorder bonus being added to the deluxe content post launch; doesn't that make it a moot point about it being "locked only to preorders"? I mean can't people be allowed to get them both seperately from the deluxe content if they wish (considering its value is 75% gone as no 3 day early access and likely hood of people owning the weapons, mods and star cards)

At this point people can get those skins without having ever preordered (and ingame you will never know) yet are forced to fork out more money then I'm sure many would like just for two skins (again; they may have the rest of the deluxe content early unlocks already)

I really don't see the harm in adding them as purchasable skins only (not to be put in challenges) at 40k or $10 worth of crystals. People will still have to work for them/pay for them when us who preordered the game got it for nothing and we could've returned the game next day or gave the codes to someone else or never even use the skins (I rather don't like using Kylo's skin because I like his helm but I want to make use of the skin I've got).

The only actual real issue is just legal Reasons? (Is that it? Correct me if I'm wrong) about its exclusivity (e.g. 12 months I believe?) and the whole pre order shebang Forge has said.

If people are upset that others can get a SKIN they've had for 7 months that cost them nothing at all just because of some elitest mentality then its both sad and pathetic. I'm sorry but I just find it real petty when you can never ever tell unless the user of the skin straight up tells you directly "oh I picked this up for 40k credits when I loaded in this mornin".

This gamer exclusivity mentality is irritating and splits us more then paid dlc ever did.

I mean if you are more concerned that people may get a preorder skin that you've owned for 7 months for 40k credits or $10 worth of crystals whilst giving zero flyin fish that they picked up the game 80% off the value you paid for it then I think we've found the problem.

~

Just to clarify I'm not directing this at you; just generally stating
  • DarthJ
    6333 posts Member
    GenxDarchi wrote: »

or

Alright keep your hair on. There would be some who say 'OK great keep up the good work' on hearing an answer. May be a minority sure but we arent all angry on here!

Well, I guarantee that there are people who would forward the response to Reddit, and that would be just about all the responses.

I could care less about Reddit, I'm on about here. Reddit is negative in almost every subject on that daft site
  • The deluxe upgrade seems to have disappeared from the psn store...
  • GenxDarchi
    7681 posts Member

or

I could care less about Reddit, I'm on about here. Reddit is negative in almost every subject on that daft site

Yeah, but I think that is the reason he isn't posting it here. I do want to hear it though.
    Xbox G-tag
    XJO461
    nceaq2h23fqj.png

• DarthJ
    6333 posts Member

or

Yeah, but I think that is the reason he isn't posting it here. I do want to hear it though.

I guess we shall have a hint on Wednesday in a way.
  • bfloo
    14785 posts Member
    I bought the pre-order stuff and got Kyle ren and Reys outfits plus all the star cards and weapons, I guess they must of been removed or something

They were preorder bonuses.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Assassino37
    1104 posts Member
    I said my feelings in another thread about the Leia reward in a long post. How it wasn't obvious the foolishness of the decision to reward an epic skin that was available to purchase this short after release is shocking. Makes me wonder if EA wouldn't allow something new like the hoth skins were at the time because of their usual penny pinching practices (or shall we dub it their "PPP")

As for the pre-order skins, let them be exclusive for as long as possible. 12 months sounds fine at least. That would be something they would be credited for doing right.
    Valid Token Confirmed.

fyq20437essy.png
  • TheScape
    2049 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    bfloo wrote: »
    I bought the pre-order stuff and got Kyle ren and Reys outfits plus all the star cards and weapons, I guess they must of been removed or something

They were preorder bonuses.

And they were part of the deluxe version (or upgrade), as well. I don't understand why people keep trying to defend that they could ONLY be obtained through pre-orders.

I got them when the deluxe upgrade was discounted, before the progression update (that removed this upgrade for obvious reasons).
    May your heart be your guiding key.
  • GenxDarchi
    7681 posts Member

or

Yep. Solo will give us a good estimate of how many.
    Xbox G-tag
    XJO461
    nceaq2h23fqj.png

• DarthJ
    6333 posts Member

or

Fingers crossed we are here on Wednesday discussing positive things then mate! I want to be playing this for a couple of years yet
  • Devlin21
    8322 posts Member

or

Fingers crossed we are here on Wednesday discussing positive things then mate! I want to be playing this for a couple of years yet

Expect we'll get extraction, the dl-44, couple ga maps, couple sa maps, nien and greedo, some skins, and new Star cards.+ The big arcade update
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• 4RG0mon
    13 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    If I try really hard to ignore the unrewarding rewards system, I sort of enjoy the game :/
  • Jbstiner
    2666 posts Member

or

Expect we'll get extraction, the dl-44, couple ga maps, couple sa maps, nien and greedo, some skins, and new Star cards.+ The big arcade update

If we get Nien Nunb, I will officially start hero-camping the start screen...
    My Wookie went to Scarif and all I got was this lousy t-shirt...
  • 4RG0mon
    13 posts Member
    I think it's safe to say that they just gave us the perfect reason to NOT purchase crystals. After this, you would be foolish to do so, apparently. There's really nothing left to discuss. You buy em, you a sucka
  • Devlin21
    8322 posts Member
    Jbstiner wrote: »

or

If we get Nien Nunb, I will officially start hero-camping the start screen...

Dont see why not, he took over hans palce while lando had the falcon in episode 6, and he was in the st twice. And greedo, well greedo shot first.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif