criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Someone Please Explain this Unstaggerable Thing?

Indiana_Jim
2041 posts Member
edited May 2018
"The second part was to get away from stuns locks. To that effect, you are now unstaggerable and immune to melee damage from the start of the dodge (It was a few frames in from before). This is a shorter time than it was on release (it was the whole animation back then) but still enough to feel that you can avoid being damaged."

So... it's shorter... but it's longer... but it's... what now?

Replies

• We shall find out tomorrow!
  • With the current dodge system, you get both stunned and damaged when you try to dodge a saber. I interpreted the change to mean that you are now immune to the saber stun (unstaggerable), as well as the actual saber damage during the entire duration of your dodge. I think they are also saying the dodge animation itself will be a few frames shorter.

So basically, it seems you will be immune to both saber stuns and damage during the duration of dodge, but the animation is shorter so you'll have to time it a bit better than you did at release to have relatively the same effect.

The wording is quite confusing, but this is my interpretation. I could quite possibly be wrong.
    The best Yoda loadout: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AveJpgcuWkNfdw7ZwgFzn3T3O8g

How to effectively play Yoda: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/97820/i-have-waited-a-long-time-for-this-moment-my-little-green-friend-yoda-guide

General discussions about Yoda: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/98884/general-discussions-about-yoda

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you?"

"Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."

giphy.gif
    Links to all my Yoda tips/discussions in the spoiler tag to save space. ^^^

Respect your fellow users (and Yoda), help improve the game and have a great day!
  • Fjreisat
    71 posts Member
    It's very simple. What that patch note is basically saying is that they added invincibility to the STARTUP frames of the roll/dodge animation.

At launch, the entire roll/dodge was fully invincible. All frames of the animation were invincible, from start to finish.

As it is currently, there are some invincibility frames in the animation, but not in the startup frames. That's why stunlocks are more difficult to break out of now. Because the initial frames of the roll are NOT invincible, and so you have to mash it really hard and get the roll to come out in between swings.

So what does this new change mean, realistically, gameplay-wise? It likely means that if you're getting banged on by a lightsaber, it is going to be easier for you to break free of the stun lock with your initial roll now. You're still not in a great position afterward, but you'll now have more of a fighting chance since you'll be able to reliably roll out of harms way (at least initially) and hopefully take out your target before he can take you out.

You'll still be getting tagged with a lot more lightsaber hits than with the original roll/dodge (back when it was fully invincible), but maybe this will reduce the frequency of 5-second stunlock deaths.
  • Fjreisat
    71 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    With the current dodge system, you get both stunned and damaged when you try to dodge a saber. I interpreted the change to mean that you are now immune to the saber stun (unstaggerable), as well as the actual saber damage during the entire duration of your dodge. I think they are also saying the dodge animation itself will be a few frames shorter.

So basically, it seems you will be immune to both saber stuns and damage during the duration of dodge, but the animation is shorter so you'll have to time it a bit better than you did at release to have relatively the same effect.

The wording is quite confusing, but this is my interpretation. I could quite possibly be wrong.

I don't believe you are correct on this. The patch note just means they added invincibility to the startup frames of the animation (to saber/melee damage, not ranged damage).

I just made a lengthier post explaining the change on this very thread a few minutes ago but I think a mod deleted it, or something? I'm not sure where it went.
  • Its gotta be better than the garbage we have now. Hopefully now the skill less saber stun lock has been neutered.
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif
  • Fjreisat wrote: »
    With the current dodge system, you get both stunned and damaged when you try to dodge a saber. I interpreted the change to mean that you are now immune to the saber stun (unstaggerable), as well as the actual saber damage during the entire duration of your dodge. I think they are also saying the dodge animation itself will be a few frames shorter.

I don't believe you are correct on this. The patch note just means they added invincibility to the startup frames of the animation (to saber/melee damage, not ranged damage).

I just made a lengthier post explaining the change on this very thread a few minutes ago but I think a mod deleted it, or something? I'm not sure where it went.
    If you tried to edit, your post was likely lost to the spam filter. I believe editing multiple times in quick succession causes this.

As I said, I could quite possibly be wrong, so I'll need to actually test it before I know for certain how it works. Some sort of official clarification would be helpful. @F8RGE
    The best Yoda loadout: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AveJpgcuWkNfdw7ZwgFzn3T3O8g

How to effectively play Yoda: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/97820/i-have-waited-a-long-time-for-this-moment-my-little-green-friend-yoda-guide

General discussions about Yoda: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/98884/general-discussions-about-yoda

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you?"

"Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."

giphy.gif
    Links to all my Yoda tips/discussions in the spoiler tag to save space. ^^^

Respect your fellow users (and Yoda), help improve the game and have a great day!
  • Fjreisat
    71 posts Member
    Fjreisat wrote: »

If you tried to edit, your post was likely lost to the spam filter. I believe editing multiple times in quick succession causes this.

As I said, I could quite possibly be wrong, so I'll need to actually test it before I know for certain how it works. Some sort of official clarification would be helpful. @F8RGE

Yes I was editing it. That sucks. Well I'm not going to type it again, but basically they are making the STARTUP frames of the roll/dodge invincible now. As it is currently, there are some invincibility frames, but they are a few frames into the dodge. This is why you get stunlocked more easily now.

After the change, the move is invincible from the very first frame of the animation, so it should be easier to break free from stunlock initially. You're still going to get hit more than before (when the entire animation was invincible), but it should improve things.