criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

My biggest pet peeve with 1.1 truthers

Afrom3istwr
891 posts Member
edited May 2018
I get that most of us want this game to be better, but people really need to consider all game modes when calling for fixes, especially HvV players.

The dodge roll mechanic was flat out broken and OP in the first 3 months of this game's release. Infantry troops could roll back and be immune to any attack from a saber user.

The patch that we had to fix it was great, but HvV players started complainung about saber stuns without really understanding how it might affect GA. Now in GA and infantry trooper can now dodge any saber-user attack once again, including AOE's, if the time it somewhat right. Now with no saber stun, attacking enforcers, especially those with buffed health will eat into your HP and possibly kill you extremely quick.

IMO the dodge and saber stun mechanics were never the root of the problem with saber combat. The lack of stamina penalties and variations in strike abilities were.

Even so, you guys and gals need to remember that because HvV and GA are practically two completely different games and that changing one dynamic for one mode could heavily impact the other in a negative way.

Replies

• The problem is you can still roll within the cone and dodge it. It makes zero sense, especially when it's a force move.

• OOM19
    2830 posts Member
    The problem is you can still roll within the cone and dodge it. It makes zero sense, especially when it's a force move.
    I can understand the problem with Force Powers not being affected but these new changes are a must

If you've paid any attention, even on PC to the skill level of Saber Heroes. You'll see the majority of them are, even now just a bunch of manic, rabid, braindead, zombie rushers who just button mash until either they or you die

It didn't use to be this bad until they broke the roll system even more then it was at Launch. Say one good thing about the original awful roll system it did at least weed out the weak and promoted actual intelligence and aiming. The Stagger and tractor lock ons simply promoted button mashing

Even with this new system the Button Mashers haven't changed and likely won't for a few more weeks. Especially since just enough of the trashy Stagger spam remains in this new Roll iteration

It'll probably remain this way until they can figure out a effective compromise between Stun and no effect
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

Suppor The Latest OOM-9 Thread
    [url="https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121855/grievous-vs-oom-9/p1/p1[/url]

jexdw69dwod3.png
  • OOM19 wrote: »
    The problem is you can still roll within the cone and dodge it. It makes zero sense, especially when it's a force move.
    I can understand the problem with Force Powers not being affected but these new changes are a must

If you've paid any attention, even on PC to the skill level of Saber Heroes. You'll see the majority of them are, even now just a bunch of manic, rabid, braindead, zombie rushers who just button mash until either they or you die

It didn't use to be this bad until they broke the roll system even more then it was at Launch. Say one good thing about the original awful roll system it did at least weed out the weak and promoted actual intelligence and aiming. The Stagger and tractor lock ons simply promoted button mashing

Even with this new system the Button Mashers haven't changed and likely won't for a few more weeks. Especially since just enough of the trashy Stagger spam remains in this new Roll iteration

It'll probably remain this way until they can figure out a effective compromise between Stun and no effect

Again, if you would read my post, you'd understand that the problems you have on HvV aren't the same as GA. The dodge roll was fixed because of how broke it was on GA. I played HvV and had no issues with saber stuns. You could still dodge roll through it in a way that didn't feel cheap.

The dodge roll isn't the appropriate fix for button mashers, the lack of stamina penalty and strike variations is. Until then, the months on end trying to tune the dodge is pointless.

My overall point is that people need to think about how changes to heroes will affect ALL game modes and not just the one they play. The dodge roll problems and saber stuns are just the example to that.
  • AbyssWatch3r
    4568 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    1.1 dodge roll was fine for Heroes. What people were complaining about and rightly so was troopers being able to have incredibly high survivability to Saber users.

What should have happened was tweaking the infantry and enforcer roll to its 1.2 status. Everyone wins and gets what they want. Now instead the devs caved to the bads, and implemented a mash n smash fest with saber combat to the point were blaster Heroes had no chance to evade or get their abilities off. Resulting in cheap kills, stun locks, and headache. It was garbage. Skill less play was rewarded.

What we have now is a happy medium, but still not perfect, or what was originally proposed.

Again. Heroes should be hard to kill, at least when it comes to each other, the roll placed blaster Users and saber wielders on even ground. The Hero was pretty much irrelevant. Combat between the two came down to who had the better timing on their dodges. Who effectively rolled a force attack. Who baited a roll. Ect. That aspect should stay.

Specifically for troopers. They should be nerfed back to the 1.2 roll. Yes with extreme timing they can evade saber users, but only for so long. It shouldn't be an entire stall fest when engaging one.

/thread
    Post edited by AbyssWatch3r on
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif
  • Darth_Vapor3
    2763 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Very good stuff. I also think the final solution incorporates stamina. All it seems to do is reduce damage. What good is that when blocking? The current stamina system encourages button mashing. I think that when your stamina is full you should be locked out of blocking until it’s fully recharged. Put some skill into stamina management.

Rolling to avoid saber strikes is one thing, but a roll to dodge a force power is a fail.
  • TheScape
    1885 posts Member
    1.1 dodge roll was fine for Heroes. What people were complaining about and rightly so was troopers being able to have incredibly high survivability to Saber users.

What should have happened was tweaking the infantry and enforcer roll to its 1.2 status. Everyone wins and gets what they want. Now instead the devs caved to the bads, and implemented a mash n smash fest with saber combat to the point were blaster Heroes had no chance to evade or get their abilities off. Resulting in cheap kills, stun locks, and headache. It was garbage. Skill less play was rewarded.

What we have now is a happy medium, but still not perfect, or what was originally proposed.

Again. Heroes should be hard to kill, at least when it comes to each other, the roll placed blaster Users and saber wielders on even ground. The Hero was pretty much irrelevant. Combat between the two came down to who had the better timing on their dodges. Who effectively rolled a force attack. Who baited a roll. Ect. That aspect should stay.

Specifically for troopers. They should be nerfed back to the 1.2 roll. Yes with extreme timing they can evade saber users, but only for so long. It shouldn't be an entire stall fest when engaging one.

/thread

I agree with you on that. Just revert trooper dodge to 1.2 and everybody should be happy.
    May your heart be your guiding key.
  • 1.1 dodge roll was fine for Heroes. What people were complaining about and rightly so was troopers being able to have incredibly high survivability to Saber users.

/thread

I had zero issues with 1.2 on HvV. I think people simply couldn't figure out how to roll properly. I could get away from saber users as a blaster hero by simply rolling towards and through them.

There is no happy medium IMO for rolls to have i-frames against AOE force attacks, hero or infantry. It's ridiculous.

The correct solution is to add penalties to the stamina bar. Make the strikes less powerful and/or slower after three or four swings. This not only penalizes button mashing, but it also makes those stamina cards for heroes and villians more useful.
  • It's a problem for the developers to solve.

They getting there now that Luke has different stats for his push ability beyween HvV and GA.

I don't think you can point a finger at players for wanting each game mode to feel balanced.
  • Spiito
    1515 posts Member
    One of the first things I mentioned when I got to this site, was that there should be a stamina bar in place to deal with all the excess rolling.