criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Earliest Online Gaming Experience?

Midichlorian
1409 posts Member
edited May 2018
Probably MapleStory back in 2006. I was 11 years old and crushed on a woman who was like 20, for obvious reasons the feeling wasn't mutual. She might still be my friend on my old myspace account but I don't care lol. I also played Runescape but till this day could never find a possible interest in it.

Then I got an Xbox 360 in 2009 and got Modern Warfare 2. I was introduced to the "articulated" gaming community at an early age. I eventually paired with a group of players around my age and we all became good friends, it was also my first clan. We rolled together for a few months but given time we split apart, but it was good times and I'll sure miss them.
"Dude, don't call us plucky, we don't know what it means."
Devoted worshipper of Haruhi Suzumiya
Instagram
Twitter
DeviantArt
YouTube
346z5t0ufg6v.gif

Replies

• Empire_TW
    5940 posts Member
    First online multiplayer I played was Empire: Total War 8 years ago. Only stopped playing it's vanillia multiplayer a few months ago because it pretty much died and finding 2v2s took half an hour at least so I am working on a mod for the game with a friend. Still steam friends and in contact with a whole bunch of people I've met playing it over the years.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • Midichlorian
    1409 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Empire_TW wrote: »
    First online multiplayer I played was Empire: Total War 8 years ago. Only stopped playing it's vanillia multiplayer a few months ago because it pretty much died and finding 2v2s took half an hour at least so I am working on a mod for the game with a friend. Still steam friends and in contact with a whole bunch of people I've met playing it over the years.

Also have a Steam account, only played games from the Half-Life 2 Engine. Discovered Garry's Mod when I turned 18 and I would spend countless hours either online or offline either way tons of fun. Also played Minecraft but could rarely find mature people to play with.
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif
  • WarfareKiller41
    6724 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Star Wars Galaxies in 2007, I remember the day the servers were shut down on December 15, 2011. :'(
    A thousand generations live in you now, but this is your fight.
    mbetxwnmm1qiioixt6xy.gif
  • Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    Miniclip
  • EvazanJr wrote: »
    Miniclip

I remember that from around 2006. I played this game where you make trucks and add weapons and stuff, forgot the name.
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif
  • RIFRIG
    480 posts Member
    Links golf 2004 on OG Xbox........could not believe I was playing head to head matches with American gamers.
  • JAREDUP
    1550 posts Member
    I played the OG battlefront 2 on PS2 back in late 2006, it took me forever to realize I just had to plug up a internet cord, the game was chaos fun online, glitch and exploit gallore is how it was online, I remember every way I could get inside the walls on Death Star, good times, good times
    For the Greater Good

9k2nxbv51kuu.gif
  • Webkins when I was 7.
    "It's true. All of it. The Dark Side. The Jedi. They're real". -Han Solo
    okjzkqv763wu.png
    On Yoda's Flying Chair: The floating chair has a little area in between the hovering part and his cushion that allows him to go whenever he wants. That is why Mace always looks like he just smelled something bad.
  • Vespervin
    691 posts Member
    Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun back in 2000. That's the earliest I remember, not sure if it was my first.
    Failed to connect to EA Online.
  • Webkins when I was 7.

I had a very protected childhood when it came to online gaming. I was not allowed to play a Rated T online shooter till I was 15. Yet conveniently, my parents allowed me to play Halo when I was 13.
    "It's true. All of it. The Dark Side. The Jedi. They're real". -Han Solo
    okjzkqv763wu.png
    On Yoda's Flying Chair: The floating chair has a little area in between the hovering part and his cushion that allows him to go whenever he wants. That is why Mace always looks like he just smelled something bad.
  • Rook008
    838 posts Member
    Th earliest online game I can remember playing was a PC game from Nova Logic called Delta Force. It was a first person shooter with, I think, 32 player online modes. The sequels (Joint Operations) got bigger and better and went up to 120 players over huge maps with air and land vehicles. This was back in 1998 or 1999 so I think I was playing on dial-up. I still have the CD's and game boxes in the basement somewhere.
    Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
  • Quizolio
    3221 posts Member
    Halo 2, way back when. Only for a small bit with my cousins, but the memories will last forever.
    "A thing called grammar needs a buff."
    - tankertoad
  • rollind24
    5347 posts Member
    Vespervin wrote: »
    Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun back in 2000. That's the earliest I remember, not sure if it was my first.

Ha this is actually what I was coming to post. It’s the earliest online game I can remember playing.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Reinstalling MapleStory at the moment, time to show these newbies that I still got it.
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif
  • Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal on Ps2. I remember getting the Ps2 online network thing.
    Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TroopperFoFo/ .
    Battlefront 2 , Battlefield and more.
  • Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal on Ps2. I remember getting the Ps2 online network thing.
    I never knew that was a thing when I was a child, though if I did it would have been pure misery as I would always get owned.
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif

• Lol this is from my MW2 days, haha! I was tested out my dazzle capture card I got. I was like 14 at the time.
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif
  • Spiito
    1814 posts Member
    Diablo.
    Eight.
    *Shrug*
    (... <_<; I grew up around weirdos, it seems that crazies were forever inescapable. ...Such is life.)

giphy.gif
  • Warcraft 2 for MS-DOS (haha, points if you know what that Dos is!) was my first online experience. I wasn't too keen on playing against people 1vs1 so I stuck to co-op maps when available. It wasn't until Warcraft 3 I really played online a lot because of all the new features and possibilities with the map creator.
    Valid Token Confirmed.

fyq20437essy.png
  • Star Wars Galaxies, 2003, before they made the two overhauls (played on and off ’til they tried and failed to make it into WoW in 2005...). Remember mastering the Ranger profession and pretty much spent my time exploring, hunting and gathering resources to sell to crafters. You could do that full time since the planets were huuuuge. Not the most casual-friendly game... but fun!

db54eb1db87d7960849c9b266209a8f4--game-star-wars-sony.jpg
  • Quake 3 on a roommates PC. He was the only one of us that had comcast cable internet (2001 maybe?). That was my first FPS online experience. I got pretty good with the mouse, too. But mostly I was playing Rogue Leader and Eternal Darkness on GameCube in the living room, offline of cours. lol
    I've never owned a PC, and was an offline exclusively console gamer until about 2014 when I signed up for GTA Online, that was a GAME CHANGER, I had no idea how fun (and unpredictable) playing with other people could be. I was kind of freaking out the first time I was a passenger in someone else's vehicle in GTA. That was so unknown/weird to me. Waaaaay behind the times, over here in Unsane land. Unsane is a noise rock band by the way, not a movie shot on an iPhone. lol
    "I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you!"
  • Quake series (PC) starting in the 90s, followed by Unreal and Unreal Tournament. Although primarily a PS4 player, I still hop on the PC and play arena shooters
  • Like if you get it, I remember vividly.
    wrpd2u31o3lo.jpg
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif
  • Batman20
    1731 posts Member
    star wars battlefront 2004