criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Felucia Transmission
No Match for a Good Blaster

Solo Movie(A flop?Noway!!)Will solo dlc survive this news?

Prev1
ShinoBaz
33 posts Member
edited June 2018
With the solo movie now being called a offical flop,will the solo dlc still get released or might we get nothing new this month,maybe clone wars dlc could replace it instead?With the way dlc been trickling out we don't need any more months of nothing new,so hopefully EA still has backup dlc if solo dlc get file 13'ed because of this solo movie flop news...

Replies

  • Empire_TW
    6500 posts Member
    If the easy to predict backlash of the DLC being Solo themed didn't cancel a Solo season then the Solo movie, which was also predicted to not do well probably won't change things either.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • EV02AAA
    720 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    removed
  • ShinoBaz
    33 posts Member
    Lets hope we get something good,if thats still possible.


    I
  • RIFRIG
    480 posts Member
    Is Solo 'Officially a flop?


    Only been out a week.........
  • VaperEyes
    639 posts Member
    RIFRIG wrote: »
    Is Solo 'Officially a flop?


    Only been out a week.........

    It's a flop if you want it to be Rifrig - depends on your comfort level with corporate Disney. Han & Chewie are legends of the SW universe and will always be.(IMO)
    The flop is the approach to Fan love and the history of the franchise. Imagine the future of SW that makes no mention of the heroic adventures of Han / Chewie / Leia / Luke. Well, that's what the dummies at SWDisney dreamed up and it's a flop of a thought!
  • bfloo
    15720 posts Member
    They can't cancel the rest of Han Solo season now, it would kill this game if they put more content off a few months.

    While I don't think Solo was a great Star Wars movie, it was a fun random action/adventure flick to watch.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


  • OcDoc
    1868 posts Member
    The Solo season will push forward regardless of what anyone thinks about the movie.

    But I could see any plans for a 3rd SWBF game getting the axe.

    Only thing boycotts are doing is stopping any future related content. It isn’t changing it to something you like more.
  • gbm
    364 posts Member
    OcDoc wrote: »
    Only thing boycotts are doing is stopping any future related content. It isn’t changing it to something you like more.
    Yep.
    Wish everyone understood this.
  • OcDoc wrote: »

    Only thing boycotts are doing is stopping any future related content. It isn’t changing it to something you like more.

    Thank you. Someone with common sense.
  • Deanna_Tamura
    317 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    OcDoc wrote: »
    The Solo season will push forward regardless of what anyone thinks about the movie.

    But I could see any plans for a 3rd SWBF game getting the axe.

    Only thing boycotts are doing is stopping any future related content. It isn’t changing it to something you like more.

    I honestly don't think the flop is coming from a boycott, only hardcore fans even care about a boycott, the money comes from the general audience and they are not loving the movie, for a Star Wars movie it definitely didn't do well.

    As for the Solo Season i agree, espacially since most content they plan to release has to be done by now, it would make no sense to not release things you already invested time and money to create.
  • Lonnisity
    1946 posts Member
    Geez. I like clone wars as much as the next guy, but some of you people will give any excuse to pounce on getting new content. Relax, it’s coming, but not before Solo.
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • Odi
    65 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    gbm wrote: »
    OcDoc wrote: »
    Only thing boycotts are doing is stopping any future related content. It isn’t changing it to something you like more.
    Yep.
    Wish everyone understood this.
    OcDoc wrote: »

    Only thing boycotts are doing is stopping any future related content. It isn’t changing it to something you like more.

    Thank you. Someone with common sense.

    Seeing as Solo was just plain bad, I'm not sure that not getting any more content is negative. I'd be more than happy if they quit making movies without direction.
  • bfloo
    15720 posts Member
    OcDoc wrote: »
    The Solo season will push forward regardless of what anyone thinks about the movie.

    But I could see any plans for a 3rd SWBF game getting the axe.

    Only thing boycotts are doing is stopping any future related content. It isn’t changing it to something you like more.

    We don't need a 3rd battlefront, EA needs to make something different, ie an open world game, something along the lines of Bounty Hunter, a rpg game for people into that sort of thing.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


  • Octavarius
    1107 posts Member
    Odi wrote: »
    gbm wrote: »
    OcDoc wrote: »
    Only thing boycotts are doing is stopping any future related content. It isn’t changing it to something you like more.
    Yep.
    Wish everyone understood this.
    OcDoc wrote: »

    Only thing boycotts are doing is stopping any future related content. It isn’t changing it to something you like more.

    Thank you. Someone with common sense.

    Seeing as Solo was just plain bad, I'm not sure that not getting any more content is negative. I'd be more than happy if they quit making movies without direction.

    Plain bad? Have you seen it? If you have then you need to clearly state "In my opinion" before stating Solo was just plain bad. The fact it hasn't made the money expected yet does not make it bad. I found it to be a fast paced and entertaining movie.
    It may or may not end up being a financial success but that could be due to a couple of reasons. Firstly it launched at the same time as Deadpool 2 and not long after Infinity Wars. That combined with the fear I have that Disney are in danger of over-saturating the SW product could be the reason that viewing figures have not been as expected. TLJ in December and then only recently released on Bluray is too short a gap. I personally think they would have been better waiting until the end of the year. Then we would have a release every 12 months. With the proposed Fett and Obi Wan movies on the cards and SW IX only 18 months away some serious thought on marketing needs to be given.
  • DWB1873
    176 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    I blame Renault. The adverts are cringe worthy and not in any way can I see the link between a Renault and Star Wars.

    A brand I’ve owned once and never will again.

    Back to the topic - it might be a ‘flop’ but you know what? My son loved it - and it’s refreshing to see he has no prejudice - it’s either enjoyable or it’s not - and he enjoyed it. I enjoyed it too - no where near as much as Rogue One, which felt like a proper Star Wars movie whereas this lacked ...something, but it was still good.

    This whole post and the Clone wars thing does make you appear about 10 years old though, but there you go.
  • Odi
    65 posts Member
    Octavarius wrote: »
    Odi wrote: »
    gbm wrote: »
    OcDoc wrote: »
    Only thing boycotts are doing is stopping any future related content. It isn’t changing it to something you like more.
    Yep.
    Wish everyone understood this.
    OcDoc wrote: »

    Only thing boycotts are doing is stopping any future related content. It isn’t changing it to something you like more.

    Thank you. Someone with common sense.

    Seeing as Solo was just plain bad, I'm not sure that not getting any more content is negative. I'd be more than happy if they quit making movies without direction.

    Plain bad? Have you seen it? If you have then you need to clearly state "In my opinion" before stating Solo was just plain bad. The fact it hasn't made the money expected yet does not make it bad. I found it to be a fast paced and entertaining movie.
    It may or may not end up being a financial success but that could be due to a couple of reasons. Firstly it launched at the same time as Deadpool 2 and not long after Infinity Wars. That combined with the fear I have that Disney are in danger of over-saturating the SW product could be the reason that viewing figures have not been as expected. TLJ in December and then only recently released on Bluray is too short a gap. I personally think they would have been better waiting until the end of the year. Then we would have a release every 12 months. With the proposed Fett and Obi Wan movies on the cards and SW IX only 18 months away some serious thought on marketing needs to be given.

    I could ask you the very same question, since our opinions differ so much. I'm guessing you enjoyed the movie so much that it seems unlikely to you that anyone else could possibly not enjoy it as much as you did. I might be on the other side of that spectrum.

    Yes I saw it. It was plain bad. I don't care about the numbers, but your argument is flawed. If they made good Star Wars movies, people would see them. Marvel makes a bunch of movies every year that are well received, they are fine.
    Game of Thrones comes out and "saturates" the market with a new episode once a week. Last I recalled, GoT was doing fine. The over-saturation is a meme excuse for bad movies and not an argument.

    For a small example, I recently re-watched the Brothers trailer from Biowares SWTOR: Fallen Empire. It gave me goosebumps. Why can't the regular movies provide that emotion, immersion, sense of grandness anymore?
  • Odi
    65 posts Member
    DWB1873 wrote: »
    I blame Renault. The adverts are cringe worthy and not in any way can I see the link between a Renault and Star Wars.

    A brand I’ve owned once and never will again.

    Back to the topic - it might be a ‘flop’ but you know what? My son loved it - and it’s refreshing to see he has no prejudice - it’s either enjoyable or it’s not - and he enjoyed it. I enjoyed it too - no where near as much as Rogue One, which felt like a proper Star Wars movie whereas this lacked ...something, but it was still good.

    This whole post and the Clone wars thing does make you appear about 10 years old though, but there you go.

    Wait. Your son (who I assume is young-ish?) liked the movie, but you're calling OP a 10 year old for making a topic about the movie flopping?
  • monkeyonatree
    52 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    unsatisfying..... Disney messed up anyway. i was ready for a new chapter and era in star wars not this abomination. why replay old stories. deathstar hmm lets make a deathstar planet this time seriously....
    the only exception was Rough One, it blew my mind, the only word i could speak was woooooaaaahhh for the next hour and i really had to think about what i just witnessed.
    but solo is not a bad movie... you might like it since tastes do differ, its just not my cup of tea sir.
    so i personally look forward to the dlc with mixed feeling. on one hand the game needs content, on the other hand im not sure a solo dlc can fix those needs. so its meeh whatever ill go eat my pizza now cya
    Post edited by monkeyonatree on
    "Here's why you can't exterminate us, aruetii. We're not huddled in one place—we span the galaxy. We need no lords or leaders—so you can't destroy our command. We can live without technology—so we can fight with our bare hands. We have no species or bloodline—so we can rebuild our ranks with others who want to join us. We're more than just a people or an army, aruetii. We're a culture. We're an idea. And you can't kill ideas—but we can certainly kill you."
    ―Mandalore the Destroyer
  • DWB1873
    176 posts Member
    Odi wrote: »
    DWB1873 wrote: »
    I blame Renault. The adverts are cringe worthy and not in any way can I see the link between a Renault and Star Wars.

    A brand I’ve owned once and never will again.

    Back to the topic - it might be a ‘flop’ but you know what? My son loved it - and it’s refreshing to see he has no prejudice - it’s either enjoyable or it’s not - and he enjoyed it. I enjoyed it too - no where near as much as Rogue One, which felt like a proper Star Wars movie whereas this lacked ...something, but it was still good.

    This whole post and the Clone wars thing does make you appear about 10 years old though, but there you go.

    Wait. Your son (who I assume is young-ish?) liked the movie, but you're calling OP a 10 year old for making a topic about the movie flopping?

    My son makes daft statements at times and is petulant. There is a similarity - so yes. My son however is 5 and I can understand it. I’m not sure what excuse the OP can roll out.

    re-reading it, maybe I’m being a touch harsh - but if so, then it’s just incredibly naive then, rather than petulent/childish.

    Solo content is not going to be put in the bin so as to get CW out sooner. If anything it MIGHT make CW less likely - cutting losses and all that.

    One thing Solo not doing as well as expected will most definitely NOT do, is get Clone Wars content released.

    My own opinion, but I think members of this forum massively over-=estimate the popularity (and more important, financial value) of Clone Wars content. i really am happy to be proven wrong. (Proof here is content sales - not more fervent forum posting).
  • HansTheBest
    1120 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    OcDoc wrote: »
    Only thing boycotts are doing is stopping any future related content. It isn’t changing it to something you like more.

    I'm not boycotting the movie per se but I haven't seen it yet. I hated TLJ and was underwhelmed with TFA. I liked Rogue One alright. So the quality of Disney SW movies just hasn't been that great IMO. I'll watch the next one if it blows everybody's socks off. I'm not going to watch a series I love become ***** by pandering to people who were never fans in the first place. Harrison Ford IS Han. Let the past die, kill it if you have to.

    In other words, I'd rather they stopped making SW content altogether then that they kept making movies where every new one was worse than the last. It's undermining the coolness of the universe that I love. I feel like with every iteration I have to increase the defenses on my head-canon to avoid the bad decision making.
  • Devlin21
    8328 posts Member
    disney already knew it wasnt gonna do good.


    its made 264 million, budget was 250 million. theyve made their money back and it will continue to rise.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

  • Skowsa
    316 posts Member
    I watched Solo yesterday and loved it. I liked TLJ (so sue me) but thought a few scenes were cringey. I thought Solo was solid from start to finish with an appropriate amount of nods for the die hard fans but nothing for casuals to get confused by. It is a very good movie. One of the best in the franchise IMO.

    To suggest that the Solo season will be cancelled because it hasn’t destroyed the box office is laughable. I have no doubt that when the dust settles it will have made Disney what they expected it to make. Biggest grossing movie ever? No. Massive flop? No.
    Somewhere between "the sky is falling" and "everything is awesome" lies the truth.
  • Doubtful... we’re still getting a Solo DLC. They would’ve already created a bunch of stuff for it anyway. And I guess it’s a flop by movie sale predictions, but it’s actually a good movie!

    This.
    The Solo movie was great. People just haven't realized that yet.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • DrX2345
    2888 posts Member
    Doubtful... we’re still getting a Solo DLC. They would’ve already created a bunch of stuff for it anyway. And I guess it’s a flop by movie sale predictions, but it’s actually a good movie!

    This.
    The Solo movie was great. People just haven't realized that yet.
    Yeah, I know the media were all 'ooh it's terrible' (at least what I've seen), but I really enjoyed it actually. Maybe not as Star Wars-y as the main series movies, didn't have the Force and lightsabers and stuff, but I liked it. Pretty good and interesting insight into the underworld of the SW Galaxy.
    OOM19 wrote: »

    Imagine it

    A horde of Bipedal Millennium Falcons with cheeseburgers for legs
    If there seems to be random words or phrases in my post that don't make sense, blame Autocorrect.
    #COOMCAIBDJF
  • disney already knew it wasnt gonna do good.


    its made 264 million, budget was 250 million. theyve made their money back and it will continue to rise.

    THEY DID NOT MAKE THEIR MONEY BACK...Solo has to make over 600 - 650 M world wide to break even...production costs + marketing + ticket sale reimbursement to theatre s = break even...

    Very, very good chance Solo 1sr Star Wars movie to ever lose money ...in fact it will lose money, only questions is how much..and, of course, why.
  • RIFRIG
    480 posts Member
    If it's going to lose money it's simply a case of the cinema being oversaturated with high profile films at this present time.
    In the UK an average family visit to the cinema is around £50-£80 depending on what experience your looking for,are you gonna be doing that every week when you can spend time in the sunshine for nothing.....I'm not,that's for sure.
    Haven't seen Deadpool 2 or The new Marvel film for that reason,I picked Solo because that's my priority.It doesn't mean the other films are bad.
  • I have seen The Force Awakens and Rogue One. That's it.

    I almost went to see The Last Jedi until I found out about Luke Skywalker's role in the movie . . . then I watched Mark Hamill in an interview . . . then I decided I am done with Disney Star Wars movies for now. Not forever, but for now I have zero interest watching either The Last Jedi or Solo.

    I don't need to see The Last Jedi and Solo to know they aren't horribly bad movies. I am sure they are decent, but I refuse to watch any Star Wars movie which was made with an agenda. These aren't the first movies to have an agenda but the way it was so blatant is what angered me and still angers me even now.

    The Star Wars universe I have enjoyed for decades has been tainted by our real world. I don't want the real world in the Star Wars universe. That's the whole point of "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away . . ." That one line sets the tone of the movie and future movies made after it.

    "Last week in Hollywood at a meeting that was far, far away from reality . . . "

    Rogue One felt rushed, but I still enjoyed it. I have watched it three times and enjoyed it every time because it was gritty. It wasn't shiny. There were new faces playing characters and some familiar faces as well. The droid was great and wasn't overdone. Then of course the epic final scene with Darth Vader plowing through the rebel defenders as they were escaping with the data disc. I'm betting most Star Wars fans loved the final scenes more then anything else in the movie. =-D

    I'm done. Agree or disagree with me. It's fine for me either way. B)


    KC
  • OcDoc wrote: »
    The Solo season will push forward regardless of what anyone thinks about the movie.

    But I could see any plans for a 3rd SWBF game getting the axe.

    Only thing boycotts are doing is stopping any future related content. It isn’t changing it to something you like more.

    I honestly don't think the flop is coming from a boycott, only hardcore fans even care about a boycott, the money comes from the general audience and they are not loving the movie, for a Star Wars movie it definitely didn't do well.

    As for the Solo Season i agree, espacially since most content they plan to release has to be done by now, it would make no sense to not release things you already invested time and money to create.

    Remember, a lot of the "fan"base has devolved into childish brats who automatically hate everything after RoTS because it's new.
  • Skowsa
    316 posts Member
    OcDoc wrote: »
    The Solo season will push forward regardless of what anyone thinks about the movie.

    But I could see any plans for a 3rd SWBF game getting the axe.

    Only thing boycotts are doing is stopping any future related content. It isn’t changing it to something you like more.

    I honestly don't think the flop is coming from a boycott, only hardcore fans even care about a boycott, the money comes from the general audience and they are not loving the movie, for a Star Wars movie it definitely didn't do well.

    As for the Solo Season i agree, espacially since most content they plan to release has to be done by now, it would make no sense to not release things you already invested time and money to create.

    Remember, a lot of the "fan"base has devolved into childish brats who automatically hate everything after RoTS because it's new.

    Some people consider Canon ended at RotJ.
    Somewhere between "the sky is falling" and "everything is awesome" lies the truth.
  • Haven't seen it yet
    I'll wait for the dvd so i can watch it in my man cave drinking beers
    I'm sure it will be ok
    Can't be worse than the last couple of movies
    I'm just waiting for the news on part 2 the real solo season
    Every update i would like new GA maps
  • I have seen The Force Awakens and Rogue One. That's it.

    I almost went to see The Last Jedi until I found out about Luke Skywalker's role in the movie . . . then I watched Mark Hamill in an interview . . . then I decided I am done with Disney Star Wars movies for now. Not forever, but for now I have zero interest watching either The Last Jedi or Solo.

    I don't need to see The Last Jedi and Solo to know they aren't horribly bad movies. I am sure they are decent, but I refuse to watch any Star Wars movie which was made with an agenda. These aren't the first movies to have an agenda but the way it was so blatant is what angered me and still angers me even now.

    The Star Wars universe I have enjoyed for decades has been tainted by our real world. I don't want the real world in the Star Wars universe. That's the whole point of "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away . . ." That one line sets the tone of the movie and future movies made after it.

    "Last week in Hollywood at a meeting that was far, far away from reality . . . "

    Rogue One felt rushed, but I still enjoyed it. I have watched it three times and enjoyed it every time because it was gritty. It wasn't shiny. There were new faces playing characters and some familiar faces as well. The droid was great and wasn't overdone. Then of course the epic final scene with Darth Vader plowing through the rebel defenders as they were escaping with the data disc. I'm betting most Star Wars fans loved the final scenes more then anything else in the movie. =-D

    I'm done. Agree or disagree with me. It's fine for me either way. B)


    KC

    Can't speak for Solo but you're doing yourself a favor by not watching TLJ.
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • KingGio21
    344 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    disney already knew it wasnt gonna do good.


    its made 264 million, budget was 250 million. theyve made their money back and it will continue to rise.

    THEY DID NOT MAKE THEIR MONEY BACK...Solo has to make over 600 - 650 M world wide to break even...production costs + marketing + ticket sale reimbursement to theatre s = break even...

    Very, very good chance Solo 1sr Star Wars movie to ever lose money ...in fact it will lose money, only questions is how much..and, of course, why.

    Idk guys. I know a lot of older fans weren’t crazy about the movie but the kids are loving it! I work at Target and all the Solo related stuff is selling like crack. Literally had a kid the other day crying because we sold out of the Solo Pop! figures. Maybe Disney knows what they’re doing and are cultivating a new crop of Star Wars fans. You know by letting the past die and focusing on the future (aka future consumers).
  • rollind24
    5854 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    KingGio21 wrote: »
    disney already knew it wasnt gonna do good.


    its made 264 million, budget was 250 million. theyve made their money back and it will continue to rise.

    THEY DID NOT MAKE THEIR MONEY BACK...Solo has to make over 600 - 650 M world wide to break even...production costs + marketing + ticket sale reimbursement to theatre s = break even...

    Very, very good chance Solo 1sr Star Wars movie to ever lose money ...in fact it will lose money, only questions is how much..and, of course, why.

    Idk guys. I know a lot of older fans weren’t crazy about the movie but the kids are loving it! I work at Target and all the Solo related stuff is selling like crack. Literally had a kid the other day crying because we sold out of the Solo Pop! figures. Maybe Disney knows what they’re doing and are cultivating a new crop of Star Wars fans. You know by letting the past die and focusing on the future (aka future consumers).

    Could just be the circle of life. PT was lambasted because it was different than OT and ST gets the same treatment. I know Solo isn’t ST but it got tainted by TLJ disdain. Similar to the idea of each new generation has it easier than the old generation.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Solo was an entertaining movie but I think the issue is the saturation of the brand rather than the movies themselves, possibly also because the movie doesn’t involve a glow stick wielding, telekinetic wizard-knight.

    It was gritty, fast paced and the actors did a great job.

    Dice/EA would have come too far to can the dlc. They’ll be in the final stages of preparing the changes for the server updates now and mobilising the support desk for the drop. development and testing would have been finished weeks ago.

  • I enjoyed the movie, it’s the only one other than RO I’ve cared to rewatch in the Disney era. It wasn’t perfect but it was more than enough imo. The sequel movies, no comment as it would get me banned.
  • rollind24
    5854 posts Member
    Solo was an entertaining movie but I think the issue is the saturation of the brand rather than the movies themselves, possibly also because the movie doesn’t involve a glow stick wielding, telekinetic wizard-knight.

    It was gritty, fast paced and the actors did a great job.

    Dice/EA would have come too far to can the dlc. They’ll be in the final stages of preparing the changes for the server updates now and mobilising the support desk for the drop. development and testing would have been finished weeks ago.

    Not so sure it’s oversaturation. MCU can put out 3 movies a year and kill it. I think I’m more tired of having to explain where each new Star Wars movie fits in the timeline to people that aren’t Star Wars fans but are curious.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • mastery0ta
    6272 posts Member
    rollind24 wrote: »
    Solo was an entertaining movie but I think the issue is the saturation of the brand rather than the movies themselves, possibly also because the movie doesn’t involve a glow stick wielding, telekinetic wizard-knight.

    It was gritty, fast paced and the actors did a great job.

    Dice/EA would have come too far to can the dlc. They’ll be in the final stages of preparing the changes for the server updates now and mobilising the support desk for the drop. development and testing would have been finished weeks ago.

    Not so sure it’s oversaturation. MCU can put out 3 movies a year and kill it. I think I’m more tired of having to explain where each new Star Wars movie fits in the timeline to people that aren’t Star Wars fans but are curious.

    Same here. We'll just keep explaining to em I guess Rollin. I loved SOLO. Keep that good ***** coming
  • disney already knew it wasnt gonna do good.


    its made 264 million, budget was 250 million. theyve made their money back and it will continue to rise.

    Either you clearly know nothing about how making money in the movie business works or you're doing you're usual, all is great responses.

    Budget is roughly 250-300 million with 300 mil probablly being more realistic if reports of 80% had to be reshot.

    Marketing is probably what, another 200 mil +.

    Then your forgetting that just because it makes 200 mil so far, not all 200 mil goes to Disney. Also investors don't want to just make they're money back, they invest to make more money. I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere that investers want at least 3x the money they put up fo a movie but not sure, but breaking even is a flop for a movie especially a blockbuster, not to mention that when you have the Star Wars IP, you already have a base to work with

    So after a 60% fall in viewers in the second week, do you really think it's ging to hit what analysts say it need to hit which is roughly 600 mil +? Not a chance.

    So yes, a flop!

    I've not seen it, I don't need to see it, it's not a movie I'm fussed about. I'm not part of any boycott movement, but after TLJ, all the crap from Kennedy, Rian, Kasdan and JJ, I have no reason to give my money to these people and a Solo movie, Boba or even a Obi movie is not going to change anything under the current management who seem to forget about the fans and just want to chase the money. You need one to get the other. Major money is made by the general public, but it's the fans that bring their friends and family, who spread the word, who talk on social media, that create the hype for the general public to get on board with. Insulting the fans will hit you in the pocket and even those who loved TLJ, must finally start to see that the film was so devisive (rubbish imo), that Solo is paying for it and even episode 9 isn't a guaranteed shooing as TLJ basically ended the "trilogy" with it's bollocks and JJ not only played it very safe if TFA, he's not renowed as a finisher if you look at his record.

    I find it amusing and a little sad and if just reinforces the stereotype about star wars fans, that they will watch anything or play anything just because it's star wars. Kathleen thinks/thought this and EA thinks/thought this. Well least that's changing in the movie world and the backlash this game got, means it's possible that it's starting in the gaming world too.

    There's a whole thread on here as to why people still play this game and I shake my head when I read a lot of the reasons are..because its Star Wars. What? It's like some type of OCD and people feel they have to play this game. Yes plenty (okay some) play this game because they really do love it, but reading that thread, it more a case of...its Star Wars.

    You can ruin a franchise. Star Wars is no longer teflon.



  • Unfortunately you have to make at the least double your budget back these days to be profitable especially big movies with lots of ad space etc, they are probably hoping for good dvd/Blu-ray sales now.
  • Dannyboi82 wrote: »
    Unfortunately you have to make at the least double your budget back these days to be profitable especially big movies with lots of ad space etc, they are probably hoping for good dvd/Blu-ray sales now.

    Dvd/Blu-ray, Sky etc, it will make some more money back, but once again, not all of it goes to Disney and it's more people wanting some of the pie that Disney doesn't get for themselves.

  • Haven't seen it yet
    I'll wait for the dvd so i can watch it in my man cave drinking beers
    I'm sure it will be ok
    Can't be worse than the last couple of movies
    I'm just waiting for the news on part 2 the real solo season
    Every update i would like new GA maps

    So basically, you let others form your opinion for you. Looks like we are getting Geonosis around here with this hive mentality XD
  • DarthJ
    6666 posts Member
    The DLC won't be shelved, its coming. A shame its not making as much, I was one of those who felt it was an unnecessary movie but enjoyed it when I saw it. Its a good film overall, 7 or 7.5 out of 10 for me.

    I would put it down to three things as many have mentioned already - fan backlash over TLJ, the fact it has been released only 5 months after TLJ, and casuals/cinemagoers fatigue what with Infinity War being released a few weeks before it, and Deadpool 2 only a week before it. Both were hyped massively.
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • Toddyrocket
    2438 posts Member
    Haven't seen it yet
    I'll wait for the dvd so i can watch it in my man cave drinking beers
    I'm sure it will be ok
    Can't be worse than the last couple of movies
    I'm just waiting for the news on part 2 the real solo season
    Every update i would like new GA maps

    So basically, you let others form your opinion for you. Looks like we are getting Geonosis around here with this hive mentality XD

    How in the world am i letting others form my opinion
    I watch most of my movies on dvd or stream so i can sit back have a beer and pause and rewind if i want
    With the content I'm the one asking for rogue one
    But i have no say in the solo content
  • I've yet to see the movie, but my friends and family that did see it said it was good. The same people that said TLJ was off or horrible liked this movie. So, maybe it isn't a bad film. However, financially, it did bad. I'm not gonna lecture on how, but just look it up. As someone else said, it was released with both DP2 and Infinity War being in theaters. I mean, two BIG movies that would definitely punish the currently oversaturated Star Wars franchise. They need to give people time to digest content, which also gives them time to make better content. But, then again, it's modern Disney, who redefine "milking". Walt would be ashamed of what ha become of his legacy. One day, George Lucas and Stan Lee will be sitting up in heaven with Walt, and they'll be taking turns roasting each other for the failures of their successors.

    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

    "It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • Octavarius
    1107 posts Member
    Odi wrote: »
    Octavarius wrote: »
    Odi wrote: »
    gbm wrote: »
    OcDoc wrote: »
    Only thing boycotts are doing is stopping any future related content. It isn’t changing it to something you like more.
    Yep.
    Wish everyone understood this.
    OcDoc wrote: »

    Only thing boycotts are doing is stopping any future related content. It isn’t changing it to something you like more.

    Thank you. Someone with common sense.

    Seeing as Solo was just plain bad, I'm not sure that not getting any more content is negative. I'd be more than happy if they quit making movies without direction.

    Plain bad? Have you seen it? If you have then you need to clearly state "In my opinion" before stating Solo was just plain bad. The fact it hasn't made the money expected yet does not make it bad. I found it to be a fast paced and entertaining movie.
    It may or may not end up being a financial success but that could be due to a couple of reasons. Firstly it launched at the same time as Deadpool 2 and not long after Infinity Wars. That combined with the fear I have that Disney are in danger of over-saturating the SW product could be the reason that viewing figures have not been as expected. TLJ in December and then only recently released on Bluray is too short a gap. I personally think they would have been better waiting until the end of the year. Then we would have a release every 12 months. With the proposed Fett and Obi Wan movies on the cards and SW IX only 18 months away some serious thought on marketing needs to be given.

    I could ask you the very same question, since our opinions differ so much. I'm guessing you enjoyed the movie so much that it seems unlikely to you that anyone else could possibly not enjoy it as much as you did. I might be on the other side of that spectrum.

    Yes I saw it. It was plain bad. I don't care about the numbers, but your argument is flawed. If they made good Star Wars movies, people would see them. Marvel makes a bunch of movies every year that are well received, they are fine.
    Game of Thrones comes out and "saturates" the market with a new episode once a week. Last I recalled, GoT was doing fine. The over-saturation is a meme excuse for bad movies and not an argument.

    For a small example, I recently re-watched the Brothers trailer from Biowares SWTOR: Fallen Empire. It gave me goosebumps. Why can't the regular movies provide that emotion, immersion, sense of grandness anymore?

    You misunderstand me. You are totally fine not to enjoy it. You can certainly have the opinion it's a bad movie but that does not necessarily mean it is actually bad. I am no great fan of everything labelled Starwars just because it is Starwars either. It has to earn on merit. If its bad then it's bad. However, all I'm saying is I quite enjoyed it as a standalone story. It was a fun movie in my opinion. A necessary movie for the franchise? No certainly not and that is perhaps its real weakness.

    As for GoT? No that's not the same. A weekly episodic series over 10 or so weeks at a time is not over saturation. You have to wait at least a year between series.
  • Billkwando
    1927 posts Member
    http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/03/media/solo-a-star-wars-story-box-office/index.html

    Down 65% from last week with basically no competition.

    Personally, I'd have rather seen an "old" Han Solo adventure with Harrison Ford, but of course they have to kill everybody off so they can pass the torch on to younger cheaper actors who can carry the cash cow into the future for further milking. You can be assured that if it had been a success, there might've been Solo sequels, because $$$.

    You can't make everything into Muppet Babies. It just doesn't work.
    ZI7BNkU.gif
    ^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
    (Sorta like an insane Japanese SOAD, but w/ 3 vocalists and slap bass)

    Gamertag: Billkwando PSN: Billkwando YouTube: Billkwando
    Find me in HvV, pushing people off of stuff and watching them fall, like a cat.
  • disney already knew it wasnt gonna do good.


    its made 264 million, budget was 250 million. theyve made their money back and it will continue to rise.

    False
    The numbers don’t lie. “Solo” earned a disappointing $103 million in North America over its opening weekend and stalled out with $68.2 million overseas. At this rate, it will fall short of the $1 billion mark that each Disney-released “Star Wars” adventure has managed to fly past. The latest installment will struggle to make even half that amount globally. Analysts project “Solo” could end its run with approximately $400 million to $450 million in revenues, a dreadful result for a film that cost at least $250 million to produce and $150 million to promote.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!