criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

Solo Movie(A flop?Noway!!)Will solo dlc survive this news?

2Next

Replies

• rollind24
    5955 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    disney already knew it wasnt gonna do good.

its made 264 million, budget was 250 million. theyve made their money back and it will continue to rise.

False
    The numbers don’t lie. “Solo” earned a disappointing $103 million in North America over its opening weekend and stalled out with $68.2 million overseas. At this rate, it will fall short of the $1 billion mark that each Disney-released “Star Wars” adventure has managed to fly past. The latest installment will struggle to make even half that amount globally. Analysts project “Solo” could end its run with approximately $400 million to $450 million in revenues, a dreadful result for a film that cost at least $250 million to produce and $150 million to promote.

I think the more impressive thing about this is that SOLO outdid Black Panther in presales. Star Wars might have to slow down on the prequel stuff and move to side movies that help advance stories forward to keep interest building for the next movie.

The strange thing about it is that Solo left me wanting to know more in how the plot lines can get resolved.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Jello770
    5592 posts Member
    Drama Queen alert.
    Psn: Jello770
  • VaperEyes
    641 posts Member
    Fanboy Interruption Inbound:
    [The movie was excellent.] And I support the backlash - because TLJ was a malicious attempt to destroy the history of the franchise and reboot with mystical characters that sprang from the freakin' magic bean stalk.
    You will not be disappointed if you like anything about the main characters (absolutely excellent)!!!!!!!
    The fans have spoken and they will listen or lose money in places that are not intended to fall. The power of social media has no containment - so, like Zukerberg (sp don't care) - all they have to do is listen and take lessons from past failures (new concept right?)
    Ron Howard is a genius in his own right - and JJ Abrams will be back for the next Episode (I wish I had a good Yoda quote to describe my joy)
  • The movie isn't a flop. It's really good, but just didn't do well in the box office. The season will be just fine as long as the content is good, but if it isn't, people will be very angry and leave before clone wars season comes out. (BTW there have been some really great movies that didn't do well in the box office.)
    "Never tell me the odds!"
  • RIFRIG
    483 posts Member
    The movie isn't a flop. It's really good, but just didn't do well in the box office. The season will be just fine as long as the content is good, but if it isn't, people will be very angry and leave before clone wars season comes out. (BTW there have been some really great movies that didn't do well in the box office.)

Just checked your BTW & Shawshank Redemption (probably one of the best films of all time) failed at the box office......crazy.
  • I feel like I'm the only one who liked having mud thrown in my face in tlj I laughed when Luke threw away the sabre, the only bit I found boring was the pointless looking for a hacker storyline. The lightspeed jump through the ship was one of the most awesome and true to life (if things could do that) scene I've ever seen in a space based film. Especially the soundlessness of it all.
    Rey could well be someone important still, kylo could just have been trying to get her angry.
    Snoke was amusing and got caught out as he was focusing his powers elsewhere.
    Leia's always been able to use the force in any expanded cannon, just not to Jedi degrees.
    Luke projected himself across a fricking universe and in so doing burnt out the rest of his life force to allow the others to escape, now before you say about kylo and Rey doing it, that was a three way thing we found out in the end.
    It's not without flaws but it's damn better than the prequels to me, as for killing off old blood it needs to be done too, as with Carrie Fisher no one lives forever unfortunately.
    Oh and like most whomhave actually seen it Solo was a half decent film, hampered by the fact it was a prequel star wars film people wanted it to do bad, if you'd called it space cowboys it'd have done much better
  • Solo flooped cuz of ehh marketing and too close a release to tlj imo. It was a good movie that felt true to the character. After alll, HAN SHOT FIRST. They did a great job and its not indicative of what will happen to bf2
  • rollind24 wrote: »

its made 264 million, budget was 250 million. theyve made their money back and it will continue to rise.

False
    The numbers don’t lie. “Solo” earned a disappointing $103 million in North America over its opening weekend and stalled out with $68.2 million overseas. At this rate, it will fall short of the $1 billion mark that each Disney-released “Star Wars” adventure has managed to fly past. The latest installment will struggle to make even half that amount globally. Analysts project “Solo” could end its run with approximately $400 million to $450 million in revenues, a dreadful result for a film that cost at least $250 million to produce and $150 million to promote.

I think the more impressive thing about this is that SOLO outdid Black Panther in presales. Star Wars might have to slow down on the prequel stuff and move to side movies that help advance stories forward to keep interest building for the next movie.

The strange thing about it is that Solo left me wanting to know more in how the plot lines can get resolved.

Yeah, but you gotta think for a second about this: how many people have heard of Black Panther vs how many people have seen Star Wars.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • I don't need to see The Last Jedi and Solo to know they aren't horribly bad movies. I am sure they are decent, but I refuse to watch any Star Wars movie which was made with an agenda. These aren't the first movies to have an agenda but the way it was so blatant is what angered me and still angers me even now.

KC

Exactly what agenda are you referring to?
  • rollind24 wrote: »

False

Wasn't that just spin though about it out selling Panther in presales just to hype it up more? Wasnt it 170 mil it was predicted too? Who actually showed the evidence of presale because I thought it all came from Disney? It was all debunked a week later when people were showing plenty of seats free online and when it did open, well you can see it didn't do too good.

I think you're forgetting what brand we're talking about here. Fatigue, over saturation, May, these are just diversionary tactics used. Marvel has no issue with this and they still bring quality stuff out.

How many people have heard of Guardians bar the hard core fans? Black Panther?

If Solo had been an excellent movie, word of mouth would have spread and boom, gotta go see it. Word of mouth says it's good and fun, but hardly anyone says it a must see with many saying it has a lot of pacing issues and you can guess what's going to happen way in advance and hardly any wow moments.

But ultimately, dissing the fans or being out and out rude to them doesn't help. Just ask Don Mattrick and Xbox one.
  • Lord_Oz
    433 posts Member
    OcDoc wrote: »
    The Solo season will push forward regardless of what anyone thinks about the movie.

But I could see any plans for a 3rd SWBF game getting the axe.

Only thing boycotts are doing is stopping any future related content. It isn’t changing it to something you like more.

I honestly don't think the flop is coming from a boycott, only hardcore fans even care about a boycott, the money comes from the general audience and they are not loving the movie, for a Star Wars movie it definitely didn't do well.

As for the Solo Season i agree, espacially since most content they plan to release has to be done by now, it would make no sense to not release things you already invested time and money to create.

It's not that they're not loving the movie. People that actually are going to see it have a generally positive take on it. CinemaScore has it as an A- viewer review (https://www.cinemascore.com/), IMDB has it as a 7.2 out of 10 user review, and RottenTomatoes has it as a 64% user review (take into account both IMDB and RT don't require you to have actually seen the movie to post a score, only CinemaScore - which is done at the theaters does so). The problem is no one is actually going to the movie. There are a lot of factors for this.

1. Competition - no other Star Wars movie has followed in the wake of releases like Solo has.
    2. Traditionally low turnout on Memorial Day Weekend
    3. Star Wars fatigue, they should have held it till December since there was no SW film slated there. However, due to TLJ backlash they may have written Solo off and kept it in May so that there was more time between now and the next SW film.
    4. The dumb section of fandom that are boycotting it for whatever reason. And yes, if you're boycotting this film because you think Disney is pushing some SJW agenda then that's dumb.
    5. Lack of marketing. The hype train for Solo was by far the lowest of any of the Disney Era films. We didn't get any kind of trailer till the day after the Super Bowl, 3 1/2 months prior to release. Every other SW film had at least 6 months of hype.
    6. People seeing it's a prequel and not Harrison Ford deciding to wait till it's "on demand" at home, coupled with all the issues the film had in its creation probably turned another set of people away.

That being said, it'll be in theaters all summer long. And while it's only barely eclipsed $264 million worldwide, it'll probably end up somewhere in the $500-$600 million range when it's all said and done. So by current Star Wars standards it's a "flop" (and because it's the most expensive SW film ever because of reshoots), it still may break even at least.
  • rollind24
    5955 posts Member
    rollind24 wrote: »

False

Wasn't that just spin though about it out selling Panther in presales just to hype it up more? Wasnt it 170 mil it was predicted too? Who actually showed the evidence of presale because I thought it all came from Disney? It was all debunked a week later when people were showing plenty of seats free online and when it did open, well you can see it didn't do too good.

I think you're forgetting what brand we're talking about here. Fatigue, over saturation, May, these are just diversionary tactics used. Marvel has no issue with this and they still bring quality stuff out.

If Solo had been an excellent movie, word of mouth would have spread and boom, gotta go see it. Word of mouth says it's good and fun, but hardly anyone says it a must see with many saying it has a lot of pacing issues and you can guess what's going to happen way in advance and hardly any wow moments.

But ultimately, dissing the fans or being out and out rude to them doesn't help. Just ask Don Mattrick and Xbox one.

Oh I’m not defending the total numbers. Just the fact it’s not doing very well but was pacing better than BP in presales should show something is wrong.

I agree, I don’t think it’s over saturation of Star Wars. MCU has no problem. I don’t mind the prequel standalones but I think if the brand wants to expand they should take a look at MCU. Their movies while released more frequently than Star Wars actually move the overall storyline forwards, can hold their own as standalones, and build excitement for the next one.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Dezert
    206 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    The movie did much worse than expected , they went political with Solo before its release (the angry Richie Cunningham and his Trump Derangement Syndrome).

As far as the upcoming Part 2 "season" - give us a GA map... don't care if it's from Solo, Rogue One, any planet or freakin Lego Star Wars.

eie47jwppmv4.jpg

Edit: Remove expletive

XBox/Steam/Origin >> M1chaelSavage
    1UcxMVz.gif
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>>>>>> Player Stats we will have <<<<<<<
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Lord_Oz
    433 posts Member
    Billkwando wrote: »
    http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/03/media/solo-a-star-wars-story-box-office/index.html

Down 65% from last week with basically no competition.

Personally, I'd have rather seen an "old" Han Solo adventure with Harrison Ford, but of course they have to kill everybody off so they can pass the torch on to younger cheaper actors who can carry the cash cow into the future for further milking. You can be assured that if it had been a success, there might've been Solo sequels, because $$$.

You can't make everything into Muppet Babies. It just doesn't work.

"No competition". Um, no real NEW competition maybe. Deadpool 2 was 2nd over the weekend bringing in just under $6 million less than Solo. Adrift opened with nearly $12 million domestic (on a $35 million production budget). Infinity War was still 4th with another $10 million domestic. So this "no competition" is not accurate. This past weekend was also the worst domestic weekend for total gross ticket sales since the weekend of Feb 2nd-4th (Super Bowl Weekend), and 2nd worst of 2018 in it's entirety (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/?view=year&p=.htm). People just haven't been going to the theater the last two weeks. They should have held the film till December, but they don't want competition for the Mary Poppins sequel apparently.
  • Lord_Oz
    433 posts Member

False

Oh I’m not defending the total numbers. Just the fact it’s not doing very well but was pacing better than BP in presales should show something is wrong.

I agree, I don’t think it’s over saturation of Star Wars. MCU has no problem. I don’t mind the prequel standalones but I think if the brand wants to expand they should take a look at MCU. Their movies while released more frequently than Star Wars actually move the overall storyline forwards, can hold their own as standalones, and build excitement for the next one.

The MCU didn't have 40 years of movie canon to contend with. And they're trying to do exactly that with Solo, the last scene is indicative of this.
  • rollind24
    5955 posts Member
    Lord_Oz wrote: »

False

The MCU didn't have 40 years of movie canon to contend with. And they're trying to do exactly that with Solo, the last scene is indicative of this.

Solo did leave me wanting to see more of that story and liked the movie. The difference though is how would it relate to the current Episodic movies? Just my opinion that they’d be better with each movie moving Star Wars forward.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • disney already knew it wasnt gonna do good.

False

At this point Rogue One had already made over 500 million.
  • RIFRIG
    483 posts Member
    I think I'll be pleased to see Star Wars return to being part of cinema history rather than a current work in progress.
    The films are good enough but all the cr*p that goes with each release is becoming intolerable.
  • 9 out of 10 best picture awards go to movies that never do well in the box office. Tv and music are interesting in that nobody would say taylor swift is the best artist out there but she will have the number one album. Ncis is trash but it is always the highest viewed show. Sales, revenue, views ect are no way to rate entertainment
  • Devlin21
    8332 posts Member
    Disney knew it was gonna flop Before it came out.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• 9 out of 10 best picture awards go to movies that never do well in the box office. Tv and music are interesting in that nobody would say taylor swift is the best artist out there but she will have the number one album. Ncis is trash but it is always the highest viewed show. Sales, revenue, views ect are no way to rate entertainment

Popularity really isn’t always an accurate way to rate anything. If you werent popular in high school it doesn’t mean you aren’t a good person. Lots of factors go into popularity, some good, some bad.

You have to be good at giving others what they crave (That could be good things or could be bad things) and ride that wave. Disney has done a terrible job of this so far with Star Wars.I’ll get Disney started with one thing people like: light saber duels

You’re welcome Disney. Make check payable to CountVonLux...

• Dannyboi82
    427 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    For those saying about some solo resolution, they may well be continuing the storyline of the red something something daaark siiide in the next movies like boba fett and old Ben, or whatever it's going to be called (with some final Kenobi Vs him action)
  • mastery0ta
    6570 posts Member
    Totally seen it again. Movie is legit. Will definitely buy this on blu ray.
  • ross42899
    1518 posts Member
    The movie was great fun. Too bad it underpreformed at the box-office. It deserved more. That said: The box-office results won't effect any planned game DLC. They've probably worked on the DLC for sometime now and will release what they've created, no matter how well the movie does at the box-office.
  • I feel compelled to jump in on Solo:ASWS. Go see it while you can. It’s good, not epic, but it has captured some of the old feels and fun as the original trilogy SWANH. Instead of a naive and hopeful Luke, it’s a hungry, inexperienced Han Solo trying to make his way in a cold, cruel world. There is more meaningful character development in this new prequel than The Last Jedi and made me want more: the actors are charming, In their roles. Han reminded me of a Young Indy in the Last Crusade; Chewie groweled and showed more of his Wookie charm ; Lando was as dapper and metrosexual. The new characters arcs, the dialogue, all had purpose that fit the plot too, unlike the TLJ. Q’ira intrigued me as young Han’s “type” and feminine mystique. The “surprise” cameo tied into the animated Clone Wars and Rebels: I hope Ashoka, Hera, Sabine, Thrawn, Obi-Wan, appear somewhere in the SW Galaxy again. I’d really like Mara Jade to be in somewhere because he was awesome and Luke I think was lonely. And with Leia gone, Lando, Yoda and Luke should absolutely be in IX.

Plus a rumor of a connection to Rey?

And the lack of the Force and Jedi caused some reviewers to declare this movie was irrelevant. What could be more starker a contrast than a world without the Force? The movie cried out for the Light or Grey Jedi by absentia. And even without them, there were still those willing to fight for words such as hope and justice. And What could be more relevant today in a “Rancor eat Rancor” world. For decades, the Hutts have intimated the slimy underbelly (pun) of the Crime Syndicates, and we get to see this world up close and it’s relationship to the Dark Side.

Lawrence Kasden (SWESB esteemed screenwriter )and son Jonathan. Ron Howard, showed a lot of heart, took a potential pile of Bantha poodoo and made something fun. I’ve seen it more than once, and compared to The Last Jedi, it made me nostalgic. It felt like a summer popcorn movie. It left me wanting more.

And it’s up to us to keep telling Kathleen Kennedy, Lucas Arts, Disney Execs, to “Keep Star Wars Star Wars” and not turn it into Marvel. SW was always about quality, not quantity character arcs and compelling relationships. This includes better care on who directs and writes scripts?

This also includes what corporation is licensed to produce the SW Games— EA has finally made improvements since BF2 launch I like (better balancing, still lags) but I’m worried about it’s commitment to it long term like Biowares KOTOR— hearing rumors of staff and cash reduction, less content as promised. Not the staffs’ fault, who I now wickedly imagine in my mind’s eye since I watched the movie, as being under-appreciated hardworking droids- but we know what happened if you saw the movie.

It doesn’t completely resolve the recent issues but it helps wash away some of the bittersweet after taste. I’d watch more because it was tantalizing good quality fun, but if it really busts like Endor’s Game or John Carter, Disney May pull the plug and we may never see more.
  • mastery0ta wrote: »

Same.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • mastery0ta
    6570 posts Member
    mastery0ta wrote: »

Same.

What was your favorite part? I loved the gritty trench battle on minban, and pretty much any scene with woody lol
  • JAREDUP
    1605 posts Member
    I will try and watch it whenever it comes to TV, but no way I am supporting Disney with their implementation of their left wing ideas, I just can't.
    That being said the solo season looks actually cool, I just wish Han looked more like Han, I'd buy his new skin because I do like the brown Jacket
    For the Greater Good

9k2nxbv51kuu.gif
  • Dannyboi82 wrote: »
    I feel like I'm the only one who liked having mud thrown in my face in tlj I laughed when Luke threw away the sabre, the only bit I found boring was the pointless looking for a hacker storyline. The lightspeed jump through the ship was one of the most awesome and true to life (if things could do that) scene I've ever seen in a space based film. Especially the soundlessness of it all.
    Rey could well be someone important still, kylo could just have been trying to get her angry.
    Snoke was amusing and got caught out as he was focusing his powers elsewhere.
    Leia's always been able to use the force in any expanded cannon, just not to Jedi degrees.
    Luke projected himself across a fricking universe and in so doing burnt out the rest of his life force to allow the others to escape, now before you say about kylo and Rey doing it, that was a three way thing we found out in the end.
    It's not without flaws but it's **** better than the prequels to me, as for killing off old blood it needs to be done too, as with Carrie Fisher no one lives forever unfortunately.
    Oh and like most whomhave actually seen it Solo was a half decent film, hampered by the fact it was a prequel star wars film people wanted it to do bad, if you'd called it space cowboys it'd have done much better

Guy talking a lot of sense here
  • Skowsa wrote: »
    I watched Solo yesterday and loved it. I liked TLJ (so sue me) but thought a few scenes were cringey. I thought Solo was solid from start to finish with an appropriate amount of nods for the die hard fans but nothing for casuals to get confused by. It is a very good movie. One of the best in the franchise IMO.

To suggest that the Solo season will be cancelled because it hasn’t destroyed the box office is laughable. I have no doubt that when the dust settles it will have made Disney what they expected it to make. Biggest grossing movie ever? No. Massive flop? No.

It is pretty weird that people are calling a movie a flop when it's pretty much made it's money back already. Seems like a successful film that's not a massive blockbuster hit.

This reminds me of people saying that IW would only be "successful" if it broke the all time box office record. People seem to have lost perspective to a large degree, and this mentality of no middle ground between the greatest thing ever and absolute garbage seems more pervasive than ever.
  • mastery0ta wrote: »
    mastery0ta wrote: »

Same.

What was your favorite part? I loved the gritty trench battle on minban, and pretty much any scene with woody lol

Chewbacca, anything with Chewbacca was my favorite scene.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • Skowsa wrote: »
    I watched Solo yesterday and loved it. I liked TLJ (so sue me) but thought a few scenes were cringey. I thought Solo was solid from start to finish with an appropriate amount of nods for the die hard fans but nothing for casuals to get confused by. It is a very good movie. One of the best in the franchise IMO.

To suggest that the Solo season will be cancelled because it hasn’t destroyed the box office is laughable. I have no doubt that when the dust settles it will have made Disney what they expected it to make. Biggest grossing movie ever? No. Massive flop? No.

It is pretty weird that people are calling a movie a flop when it's pretty much made it's money back already. Seems like a successful film that's not a massive blockbuster hit.

This reminds me of people saying that IW would only be "successful" if it broke the all time box office record. People seem to have lost perspective to a large degree, and this mentality of no middle ground between the greatest thing ever and absolute garbage seems more pervasive than ever.

You've not read every post, but know I liked this film, unfortunately a film has to make back at least double it's budget these days to be anywhere successful, what with marketing and advertising etc, it is for now a flop I don't like the fact that it is, but it is, it may make some headway in dvd/blu ray sales though if word of mouth does better
  • Toddyrocket
    2446 posts Member
    Can't wait to buy it on Blue ray