criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Hero blocking - is there a summary out there somewhere?

I'll admit it, I'm awful at heroes. Since game launch I've focused mainly on infantry and am ok with the meager killstreaks I get with heroes in GA (but honestly who wouldn't want to be better) and usually encountering another hero ends unfavorably for me. Except for a handful of challenges (TLJ season plus a few others here and there), I've completely avoided HvV. Doing Solo season challenges in Hero Showdown has piqued my interest though as I've had to use many different heroes and I like seeing the progress go up on my heroes. I can tell that there's an immense skill gap as I'm able to both dominate and be blown out of the water. Over the weekend I had a couple of heart pounding moments and the thrill of 1v2 wins with Vader vs Luke/Leia and Luke vs Bossk/Maul. I want more!

Getting to the point, is there a summary/guide to what is/isn't blockable? For example, I knew Yoda couldn't block sabers but I thought he could block Kylo freeze or Maul throw since Rey and Luke can. Maybe I'm situationally doing it wrong. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Billkwando
    1588 posts Member
    I'll admit it, I'm awful at heroes. Since game launch I've focused mainly on infantry and am ok with the meager killstreaks I get with heroes in GA (but honestly who wouldn't want to be better) and usually encountering another hero ends unfavorably for me. Except for a handful of challenges (TLJ season plus a few others here and there), I've completely avoided HvV. Doing Solo season challenges in Hero Showdown has piqued my interest though as I've had to use many different heroes and I like seeing the progress go up on my heroes. I can tell that there's an immense skill gap as I'm able to both dominate and be blown out of the water. Over the weekend I had a couple of heart pounding moments and the thrill of 1v2 wins with Vader vs Luke/Leia and Luke vs Bossk/Maul. I want more!

Getting to the point, is there a summary/guide to what is/isn't blockable? For example, I knew Yoda couldn't block sabers but I thought he could block Kylo freeze or Maul throw since Rey and Luke can. Maybe I'm situationally doing it wrong. Thanks in advance!

That would be great info for Maul as well. Also an explanation of how stamina works, and what happens (or is supposed to happen) when you attack a blocking enemy whose stamina has been depleted? Or what happens when a hero with depleted stamina keeps swinging their saber?

I do really well a lot of the time in HvV, but certainly not because DICE did such a great job explaining how combat works...
    ZI7BNkU.gif
    ^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
    (Sorta like an insane Japanese SOAD, but w/ 3 vocalists and slap bass)

Gamertag: Billkwando YouTube: Billkwando
    Find me in HvV, pushing people off of stuff and watching them fall, like a cat.
  • Jello770
    5592 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Yoda can block all force powers, but not lightsabers

Only things complete unblockable are mind trick, shoulder charge, and dash strike. Plus stuns, SF and bowcaster.
    Psn: Jello770
  • The blocks of Saber Heroes function all pretty much the same, with Yoda's being the sole exception. So long as you have stamina, you are able to reflect blaster bolts back in the general direction of where you are aiming. It only blocks in front of you, so any angle from the side or behind will not be protected. Actually, not all attacks from the front will be blocked, because this game and it's bugs. But what can you do?

Anyway, Saber Block also protects against most Saber-Related attacks and nigh all Force-Based Attacks. If it is a basic Saber Strike (primary fire) that hits a block, the attacker will be unbalanced for a duration, allowing the defender to strike back.

Now, once you run out of stamina, your block will break and you won't be able to block until you regenerate some of your stamina. However, both Rey and Vader can circumnavigate this via their Middle Ability, Insight and Focued Rage, respectively. Both grant infinite stamina, and refresh your stamina bar as well. Infinite Stamina means infinite blocking.

However, one thing that is the bane to blocking is Palpatine's Force Lightning. If you are Luke, you are at a severe disadvantage if engaging Palpatine. Rey can temporarily hold off his assaults with her Insight, but once it ends, the stamina meter will drain within a second or so.

Here are the things that go through a Saber Block:
    -AOE explosions (impact grenades, thermal detonators, etc)
    -Gas grenades
    -Stun grenades
    -Shock grenades
    -Yoda's Dash Attack
    -Rey's Lunging Strike
    -Palpatine's Dark Aura

Now, Yoda's block DOES block explosives, but not Lightsabers.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • Jello770 wrote: »

Only things complete unblockable are mind trick, shoulder charge, and dash strike. Plus stuns, SF and bowcaster.

That too.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Virtually all damage can be blocked except aoe damage such as flametroopers/explosives (yoda can absorb some explosive damage but cannot block sabers, but his dash attack ignores blocks... he is very unique) as long as you have stamina. When stamina is gone your block will no longer work, and you will also no longer do lunge closing attacks with default saber swings. The only force power I am aware of (aside from AOE force powers like palpatines aura) that cannot be blocked is mind trick, but you can still use your block while mind tricked. If a force power hits you with block up it usually means either you didnt get block up in time due to latency, or your block was bugged as sometimes block animation will be present but block will provide no protection... this is a known bug.

Thanks for the responses guys. Now I know to continue trying to block freeze, throw etc with the hope that it will. What is SF?

Also, what about Frenzy? I have shouted "I guess block doesn't mean what I think it does!!!" during a GA match while Kylo melted my Rey in a move that I saw coming a mile away (and I think with insight active so not a stamina issue).
  • Billkwando
    1588 posts Member
    Jello770 wrote: »

Thanks for the responses guys. Now I know to continue trying to block freeze, throw etc with the hope that it will. What is SF?

Also, what about Frenzy? I have shouted "I guess block doesn't mean what I think it does!!!" during a GA match while Kylo melted my Rey in a move that I saw coming a mile away (and I think with insight active so not a stamina issue).

I'm pretty sure Frenzy is specifically for breaking block. IIRC he just pounds on you until it breaks your block for a second.

Thanks for the insights folks!

BTW so Maul can't even deflect blaster bolts? I don't play him very much.
    ZI7BNkU.gif
    ^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
    (Sorta like an insane Japanese SOAD, but w/ 3 vocalists and slap bass)

Gamertag: Billkwando YouTube: Billkwando
    Find me in HvV, pushing people off of stuff and watching them fall, like a cat.
  • Jello770
    5592 posts Member
    Billkwando wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Frenzy is specifically for breaking block. IIRC he just pounds on you until it breaks your block for a second.

Thanks for the insights folks!

BTW so Maul can't even deflect blaster bolts? I don't play him very much.

No Maul has no block. But if you spin towards someone, that will deflect the blaster fire.
  • Jello770
    5592 posts Member
    edited June 2018

Frenzy actually will break your block.

SF= Secondary fire

Frenzy actually will break your block.

SF= Secondary fire
    Frenzy is so damn annoying once people upgrade it. No point in jumping back or blocking... or rolling.. or jumping... it’s game breaking
  • Be aware that your Force powers can also be blocked randomly by Light Side heroes doing nothing - I have seen them hit Leia and Chewie and they both remained completely unaffected FOR NO REASON.
  • Jello770
    5592 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Be aware that your Force powers can also be blocked randomly by Light Side heroes doing nothing - I have seen them hit Leia and Chewie and they both remained completely unaffected FOR NO REASON.

Same for goes DS ): even when saber heroes aren’t blocking, it does nothing to them.