criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

Ion Torpedo is now awesome!

Just had the best fun playing BF2 than I've had in ages using the Ion Torpedo against AT-STs on Endor and Mos Eisley and Starfighters on Starkiller Base.

Love the 3 shot buff and ability take out spawn killers that usually ruin a match.

Nice one Dice!

Queue the OP comments :D

It's not the winning but the taking part.... and winning

Replies

• Danxoln
    2473 posts Member
    OP comment....JK its awesome
  • While I don’t play heavies a whole lot, I’m gonna enjoy this one while it lasts. The skies above Hoth and Kashyyyk are safe no more!
  • While I don’t play heavies a whole lot, I’m gonna enjoy this one while it lasts. The skies above Hoth and Kashyyyk are safe no more!

Yep, while it lasts. It’s totally OP against vehicles. I was destroying A-wings with a single torp and hammering X-wings last night on Starkiller. Topped the leaderboard just firing at star fighters in the first two phases.

A simple damage or cool down buff would have sufficed. It used to take teamwork to take out an AT-ST. Now a lone Heavy can do one in. Tanks aren’t worth their cost when a single trooper can go toe-to-toe with them.
  • DrX2345
    2888 posts Member
    Probably be nerfed a little soon XD. But joking aside, I'm glad it got a buff - now there's actually a viable anti-armour class. Personally I'm looking forward to just taking out the Speeders on SKB - actually so annoying. They need to change it locking onto invulnerable objective ships though, as apparently if you're aiming for something near is hone then it decides to go for the ATAT even if it hasn't been hit. But if it has been hit - look at that damage!
    OOM19 wrote: »

Imagine it

A horde of Bipedal Millennium Falcons with cheeseburgers for legs
    If there seems to be random words or phrases in my post that don't make sense, blame Autocorrect.
    #COOMCAIBDJF
  • NomiSunstrider
    2359 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Haven't tested It yet but from what you are saying I think it will be nerfed.
    ''The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel he understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if he had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the Dark Lord out of necessity to prevent a greater evil''
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

Yep, while it lasts. It’s totally OP against vehicles. I was destroying A-wings with a single torp and hammering X-wings last night on Starkiller. Topped the leaderboard just firing at star fighters in the first two phases.

A simple damage or cool down buff would have sufficed. It used to take teamwork to take out an AT-ST. Now a lone Heavy can do one in. Tanks aren’t worth their cost when a single trooper can go toe-to-toe with them.

The buff was needed, but they went a little too far with it I think. And I’m saying that as a vehicle wrecker, not a vehicle player. I actually felt a little bad about it. But just a little bit, because damn those Y-Wing strafers and At-St campers... Until the hammer hits, you’re toast!
  • SMTHook
    223 posts Member
    AT ST done like dinner. Definitely OP.
  • Devlin21
    8323 posts Member
    at-st op, this balances it.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• It needed a cool down reduction.
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • Hey!!!
    If you don't say nothing...then objective players can avoid the Nerf that you just begged for
    *hopefully, we can keep this for at least a month - nope, you probably killed it*
  • I haven't tried it yet, but i got killed by it as a trooper twice in one game :/...... but i was most likely just unlucky and some how walked into it

AT-ST is fun, I love having the HIGH GROUND when in a vehicle :D
  • I haven't tried it yet, but i got killed by it as a trooper twice in one game :/...... but i was most likely just unlucky and some how walked into it

I don't think the ion torpedo will fire at troopers. Are you thinking of the turret?
  • It is an improvement over what it was but the ION torpedo is still broken as it locks onto objectives when they are not vulnerable. This diverts the ION torpedo from viable targets like strafing starfighters, armor, artillery and speeders. Try hitting a target from the hanger on Kashyyyk or down the main street of Naboo or on Hoth or any map. Armor can sit in front of the objective and be impervious to the ION torpedo because it will hit the AT-AT, AT-M6 or MTT instead of the AAT or AT-ST.

I started a thread about it.
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113039/hey-f8rge-about-that-ion-torpedo-adjustment-it-still-has-a-bug-that-needs-to-be-fixed#latest

Also for those who are saying the ION torpedo is now OP, have you tried it against high level armor? The new 3 shots will not kill a full health and high level armored vehicle. If the armor is already damaged then yes it will finish it off. I can across a lvl 24 AAT and a lvl 30 AT-ST and it took more than the 3 shots to kill them so lets hold off on the calls to nerf a weapon that badly needed a buff. Who wants to go back to getting stomped and strafed with no counter for both ground and air vehicles? No thanks.

Fixing the targeting bug and a few more items will make the ION torpedo a balanced weapon.
    #StarWars-y
  • It needed a buff, but they overbuffed it.

I have the impression it takes out an AT-ST in a single use. Same thing for some ships. I'm all for counters, but it seems a bit too much, specially when there were already viable counters to vehicles, such as the NT-242 with disruptor shot.
  • danilojbg wrote: »
    It needed a buff, but they overbuffed it.

I have the impression it takes out an AT-ST in a single use. Same thing for some ships. I'm all for counters, but it seems a bit too much, specially when there were already viable counters to vehicles, such as the NT-242 with disruptor shot.

I think that depends on the lvl of the vehicles/starfighter as I think once they start getting into the 20's lvls it takes more than a 3 shot burst from the ION torpedo to destroy them. For starfighters it is easier to fly away, heal up and return but ground vehicles better start using whatever cover is available on the map. This also means teammates need to start looking out for anti-vehicles Heavies if they want to keep their armor support. Balance and teamwork.

Lets hold off on the nerf request please until people start running up against high lvl vehicles/starfighters and see whats what.
    #StarWars-y
  • Dannyboi82
    427 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    I haven't tried it yet, but i got killed by it as a trooper twice in one game :/...... but i was most likely just unlucky and some how walked into it

I don't think the ion torpedo will fire at troopers. Are you thinking of the turret?

If a trooper is near a vehicle or a turret and i shoot the ion torp at it then it does tremendous splash damage to whoever is near I've killed people close enough too
  • MWB33
    1385 posts Member
    Thanks for the heads up on this. I'll definitely give it a try.

Any word on how it does against AT-AT / MTT objective? What kind of points and ticket reductions does it net?
    Yes, play! Yes, a gamer's strength flows from adjustment. But beware of the nerf side...not adapting your tactics, stubbornness, wanting the game catered to you; the nerf side of gaming are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a death & respawn. If once you start down the nerf path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did many an apprentice.
  • Skowsa
    316 posts Member
    As a heavy player I love taking on vehicles. It used to be limited to Ion Turrets and boom boom sentry but I will definitely be using this now. The one shot wonder was a little underwhelming but I like the idea of a three shotter.
    Somewhere between "the sky is falling" and "everything is awesome" lies the truth.
  • No. No. No. Fully armored vehicle should not explode with one hit. It's ridiculous and no where near balanced.
  • Skowsa
    316 posts Member
    Carbonunit wrote: »
    No. No. No. Fully armored vehicle should not explode with one hit. It's ridiculous and no where near balanced.

It doesn't explode with one hit. You need to arm and fire three separate torpedoes and hope they all hit.
    Somewhere between "the sky is falling" and "everything is awesome" lies the truth.
  • Dash
    11568 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Skowsa wrote: »
    Carbonunit wrote: »
    No. No. No. Fully armored vehicle should not explode with one hit. It's ridiculous and no where near balanced.

It doesn't explode with one hit. You need to arm and fire three separate torpedoes and hope they all hit.

^^

+1 For Truth.
    Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• univurshul
    1667 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    I've been rocking ion toros since some of you whipper snappers been in diapers!

giphy.gif
    Let's all remember that Luke's hand didn't clank to the stone when he vanished....Everything organic disappears as a force ghost. The in-organic stays...

• Dash
    11568 posts Member
    univurshul wrote: »

giphy.gif

Can confirm. This man right here has Always been about that. 100% truth.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• univurshul
    1667 posts Member

giphy.gif

DASH, you have a great memory and a keen eye on the horizon. May the Force Be With You..

mguu74nkkz6s.png
    Let's all remember that Luke's hand didn't clank to the stone when he vanished....Everything organic disappears as a force ghost. The in-organic stays...

• Dash
    11568 posts Member

giphy.gif

DASH, you have a great memory and a keen eye on the horizon. May the Force Be With You..

mguu74nkkz6s.png

xeywe5z7cmie.gif

rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• Well I guess the damage justifies the cooldown now but a cool down reduction is what I would've preferred. 3 torpedoes + 2 from turrets? Eeeeeeh.
    I was fine with my disruptor shot.
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • Was badly needed, really sucked with not being to defend against air or AT-ST's, and air was being abused for easy kills when the only threat to them was another fighter, and there is risk to using the torpedo the wind up, and good pilots can out maneuver it, they are not smart missiles that go around structures, everyone has to work a little harder and play a little smarter, they removed some of the cheese from the play, and I like it :)