criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

An Update on the Matchmaking Live Test

Replies

• Walter72
    140 posts Member
    danilojbg wrote: »
    Kerle wrote: »
    Guys, this is a feedback thread for a change to the game everyone has asked for. Now DICE is actually working on it and trys to solve the problem - maybe you should stay polite.

They work on a complicated problem, further issues while trying to fix it were predictable.
    Getting tempered and going harsh on the Devs wont solve anything, it'll just lead to less communication and frustration on both sides.

I understand what you're saying, but it was very frustrating to see this matchmaking ruining many players's experiences, watching lots of people reporting in the previous thread how bad it was from the user's perspective across all modes, and then having to read "it performed well".

I know matchmaking is a complex thing and they have plenty of data we don't. But it seems like absolutely no one there even plays the game enough to understand our perspective. Data is very important to decision making, but user experience is just as important, as it lets one understand some non-quantitative, intangible aspects of the experience that are vital for the user in general. Which they seem to be missing by a lot.

I'm very afraid that they implement some new method that'll make metrics look so beautiful to them, but with a frustrating experience on our end that won't appear in the form of data.

This is in regards to the "it performed well". The dev stated it performed well in regards to not crashing systems. He didn't say it performed well for the function of balance.
  • AxeWin wrote: »
    Just tried it again on Strike its still putting me in half empty servers....that never fill up

"Searching for STRIKE"

gg

ps: cannot even chat after match on pc you just get put in new empty server

This is making me wonder if the issues are from people on lower volume servers. I’m on US east coast Virginia server and it’s been going well for me. I’m about to play some more now though so will update...

• 4. It ignores the fact that some lobbies are already well-balanced, and it splits the players all away from each other anyway.

While I agree with all of your points, this one is really annoying. Gone are the benefits of having a great match and then swapping sides. Now, the advances the devs had made in reducing the egregious instance load times has been supplanted with any even longer, unnecessary, empty pool fill attempt.
    And a question, I haven't explored this myself yet, is anyone being split up from a friend they were playing with? This was a problem the last time they tried this matchmaking. Just wondering if they addressed it before I start going thru the trouble of trying to play with a friend.

Ironically, I just had the opposite happen. I had finished playing a round of HvV (with five sequential rounds being played with seven new players...yeah) when, instead of the pool, I was kicked back to the home screen with a message along the lines of:

“Your friend is still in a match...”

Ummm...yeah.

Matchmaking needs to be turned off. The “tweaks” have not been beneficial at all—only adding delays in actual play time. The excuses I’ve been reading about “so many variables “, etc. are hogwash made to appease those who are not privy to development buzz words. Using us as guinea pigs for some grand experiment—not cool.

ALL of this testing could be done as a simulation (and ridiculously fast, mind you) if the team knew how to write proper test cases.

A simulated client can pipe up with “Hey, dingleberry! I’ve been waiting twenty minutes for this lobby to fill! And, it can do so in milliseconds. It doesn’t have to come to the forums to complain and be ignored. It is damn near instant feedback.

The devs could simulate hundreds of thousands of concurrent connections; throwing in high/low scores; time for completion; wins/losses; buttocks-hurt players dropping out partially through a match because they are losing; disconnects/crashes; etc.

All the while, they can, in real-time, track the number of partially filled lobbies; number of empty seats; all tied back to aforementioned variables. It would very quickly paint a clear picture of where and how their algorithm fails.

Just sayin’.
  • danilojbg
    837 posts Member
    edited June 20
    EDIT: Double post
    Post edited by danilojbg on
  • Walter72 wrote: »
    danilojbg wrote: »
    Kerle wrote: »
    Guys, this is a feedback thread for a change to the game everyone has asked for. Now DICE is actually working on it and trys to solve the problem - maybe you should stay polite.

They work on a complicated problem, further issues while trying to fix it were predictable.
    Getting tempered and going harsh on the Devs wont solve anything, it'll just lead to less communication and frustration on both sides.

I understand what you're saying, but it was very frustrating to see this matchmaking ruining many players's experiences, watching lots of people reporting in the previous thread how bad it was from the user's perspective across all modes, and then having to read "it performed well".

I know matchmaking is a complex thing and they have plenty of data we don't. But it seems like absolutely no one there even plays the game enough to understand our perspective. Data is very important to decision making, but user experience is just as important, as it lets one understand some non-quantitative, intangible aspects of the experience that are vital for the user in general. Which they seem to be missing by a lot.

I'm very afraid that they implement some new method that'll make metrics look so beautiful to them, but with a frustrating experience on our end that won't appear in the form of data.

This is in regards to the "it performed well". The dev stated it performed well in regards to not crashing systems. He didn't say it performed well for the function of balance.

I wasn't referring to balance either.

I was referring to the ability of finding matches and being able to keep playing without having to go back to the main menu after each round. Or without having my party split between different lobbies.

As for crashing, he in fact said the client behaved well. But it was not only that. If you double check it ,he also said it performed well in the sense of lobbies filling up faster.

But it doesn't necessarily mean each individual player is having a better experience finding matches, which seems to be one of the points they're missing. A lobby filling faster is nice, but is of little use if we keep getting kicked after each round. Actually, I'd even consider the possibily of lobbies filling quicker being a false positive caused by the very fact players are being kicked from their matches.
  • Rook008
    669 posts Member
    edited June 20
    I played a bunch of Extraction today and Matchmaking 3.0 is a little better than Matchmaking 2.0.
    Even when I was placed in a lobby with only 6 players, after less than a minute we were back up to 16 players.

The bad part is that it seemed like the system was purposefully trying to create "super" teams as the top 3 players in the previous lobby, who were on different teams, were now all on the same team.
    This is one example of that, where the top 7 players on one team did better than the entire opposing team:spj468yvsifd.png

Edit: Forgot to mention, this was on Xbox One, Virginia servers.

She's so fine, there's no telling where the money went.
  • AxeWin
    42 posts Member
    edited June 20
    @CountVonLux2

This broken experience is on the german server that's where most of europe is connecting on soo...

Turn this matchmake off for crying out loud.

Now you spend more time in-between games then playing.

Plus on pc when you finally get to play you cannot chat with the teams at the end of the match its making it so impersonal and basically pointless to continue playing.

You cannot Revenge win when you lose a match.

Its really a bad system made for casual gamers.
  • AxeWin wrote: »
    @CountVonLux2

This broken experience is on the german server that's where most of europe is connecting on soo...

Turn this matchmake off for crying out loud.

Now you spend more time in-between games then playing.

Plus on pc when you finally get to play you cannot chat with the teams at the end of the match its making it so impersonal and basically pointless to continue playing.

You cannot Revenge win when you lose. its really a bad system.

I agree, if it’s not working for everyone it has to be fixed. But it does seem to be working for us in the US on Virginia servers. I think...lol.

• This is making me wonder if the issues are from people on lower volume servers. I’m on US east coast Virginia server and it’s been going well for me. I’m about to play some more now though so will update...

I'm on west coast US servers. Usually no problem at all finding a game within seconds of signing in. But the matchmaking is not good here. I just played 4 games in a row on the same map. Last game was 4 against 10, and it was a steamroll.
  • AxeWin
    42 posts Member
    @Alliecat7803

I have zero problems when i logon and join the first match it takes less then 3 sec.

its after the match that its broken.
  • Keep updating, and list your area, might help them fix it...
  • What is so bad on simple shuffle function? Every other game there would be random shuffle function just few seconds before actual match begins that would even number of players in both teams. May not be the best but it's definitely better than what we got now.
  • Hey! Today I pressed the matchmaking button and it took me out of the game!

they could not find anybody as good as you. lol
  • AxeWin
    42 posts Member
    @CountVonLux2

I should get paid for that.

I just want to play the game i purchased as it was just before they added the broken matchmake button.
  • This match making is horrible played HvV one game then placed in an empty server twice , 4 attempts at GA....... empty servers, kept being put back to home screen, spent 30 mins trying to get a game that i ended up playing something else, remove this ASAP please.
  • Here is the thing, I don't get a lot of time to play. I played galactic assault for a few matches over the course of 2 hours. Approximately 40 minutes of playing time and the other hour look for a new match or sitting in an empty lobby. I gave up and went back to the old one. Ridiculous
  • And a question, I haven't explored this myself yet, is anyone being split up from a friend they were playing with? This was a problem the last time they tried this matchmaking. Just wondering if they addressed it before I start going thru the trouble of trying to play with a friend.

I only have very limited experience to draw from but I can give you some answer. If you are in a "group" with a friend or friends (i.e. someone sent an invite and they accepted) then you will get moved together. If you are not in a formal group, you can and more likely will be split up to different servers. That's what I have founbd with the previous test and the current one.
  • Meguro
    351 posts Member
    This matchmaking is not looking good in HvV. Played 2 rounds & steamrolled the other team, then the waiting came with the game sending me to another lobby, one more wait to fill in the spots, another steamroll, from this moment on was more of the same.
  • Rook008 wrote: »
    Dice, I think what a lot of players want you to work on is a form of Matchmaking that simply shuffles teams around after every map load. So they play attack and then defend and then (on a new map) matchmaking shuffles the existing players and keeps them in the same lobby. Getting put into different lobbies is not wanted. Neither is disturbing the normal, linear, map rotation.
    Also, probably, this would lead to fewer players quitting. And map rotation would stay intact. Also, parties should stay together.

Would this be feasible?

This!

The previous game had this system, as far as I remember. Not since launch, but they managed to do it. It is a much superior system than the one they're testing IMO.

• I truly do not understand how the worst aspect of what you are trying to do with MM is back, with zero notification.
    The absolutely worst thing to do is continue to dump people into empty lobbies. Extraction may fill up fast, but SA and GA sure don't. Then we all run the risk of getting the black loading screen where we have to completely restart the game. A couple of visits there and it's time to turn the game off.

The last Battlefront game ended with a decent way to Matchmake. Why was that scrapped?

What you continue to try is obviously not working at all...
  • How hard is it to just team shuffle between maps? Why this nonsense they are trying?
  • So I just played a game of Star Fighter Assault on one of the US servers. Came into the game early in Phase1 on the Unkown Regions Map and was on the First Order team. We just managed to win the match surviving Phase 3 with teh command bridge at 15% health remaining.
    Must have been the end of te match as the matchmaker kicked in. Went from a game which had been tough, reasonably balanced with full teams on each side to a lobby with 5 other people. What was worse? The lobby it put me in was to start on the Unkown Regions Map and I was to play as the First Order.
    Really? this is match making? This is an improvement in game play for the gamer? Thiss is what you were aiminmg for? Talk about a bad outcome.
    You are over engineering this. You have been given viable alternatives but you seem to refuse to recognise them and keep persisting with this mush.
  • Another matchmake, yet a new problem. Come into a game of Starfighter Assault on the US Virginia server on the Fondor map, join the Rebel team early in phase 1. My team wins the map somewhat comfortably. I finish in the Top 3. It was the end of the round so I leave it to do its stuff. It does the matchmake and starts searching for a game for me. This is what I wound up getting -

ylf519ij6dd4.png

It was going to put me on my own! This is why this thing is rubbish and should be consigned to the garbage bin of gaming history as it is not working and it just increases my annoyance level every time I wind up haveing to find a new game.
    PLEASE, MAKE IT STOP!!!
  • lok
    952 posts Member
    You can`t just keep acting like it is a good thing to do and everyone is hating it.
    It is not working and no one likes it at all,yet you just keep going..O.o
    I do not understand,it is like you wan`t to do something but at the very least.
    Turn the game off for a week,add servers and wala,everyone is then happy.
  • Mightyeno
    161 posts Member
    edited June 21
    This has got to be the worst matchmaking attempt since release. All it does is put me in a different server after a match which does not help the balance or the matchmaking at all. Not to mention it takes me out of a full lobby and puts me in an empty server which doesn't fill up either. So I then have to quit the game and find a new server. This gets old really fast. And it puts me in the same map twice at times which means I have to play the same map 4 times in a row. Also it seems to put me in matches that are halfway or nearly finished so by the time I join it's already over. So I can't even enjoy a full match either.

Just shuffle the players after each match like everybody else suggested. How hard can that be? Because the way it is now honestly makes me want to quit playing.
  • LIUJI
    10 posts Member
    still ,it tear apart my team …… :s :s
  • lunder
    11 posts Member
    I really would like to give constructive feedback, but I am going to put as much effort as the effort put in the matchmaking creation and feedback listening from the community.

Shuffle teams in the same server (random if can't do any better) and dump any other brilliant idea that so far has been unable to implement successfully on a test or production environment.
  • My experience with HvV matchmaking today. Not that it should matter, but I’m an average player, typically right around 7th on my team in GA, probably right around even K/D ratio. Also, I’m very keen on matchmaking being a success, so I’m willing to go through multiple iterations as long as it’s good in the end.

TL;DR quick to find matches, matches not well balanced at all

Lost 2-10 (4th on team)
    Pressed matchmake
    Lost 0-10 (1st on team)
    Lost 5-10 (4th on team)
    Didn’t press matchmake
    Lost 0-10 (1st on team)
    Pressed matchmake
    (long wait, kicked to main menu, 1st fill failed (6 needed, 5, 4, 5, 6, gave up), played arcade, restarted, rejoined, very quickly found game (2 needed, 1, 0)
    Lost 0-10 (2nd on team)
    Pressed matchmake
    Lost 6-10 (1st on team), afk player
    Losing 3-9 when game crashed (don’t know how I was ranked at the time), afk player
    Restarted game, joined quickly (2 needed, 1, 0)
    Won 10-5 (3rd on team)
    Didn’t press matchmake
    Quickly found match
    Lost 4-10 (2nd on team)

• Not a fan of this, it isn't working for me or anyone I know. Chat box is full of complaints. Just my feedback.
  • I was able to finally experience this new matchmaking system. Until today I hadn't seen the option for matchmaking nor did it shuffle teams around. My experience was utter garbage

Ps4 - When I started I was in a 4-player party for HvV. First 2 maps it kept saying I was requesting matchmaking, when I wasn't.

The first map was fine. Every map after that it was like the enemy players didn't take damage and I died in 2 hits.

2 of us moved onto Extraction. First match was ok. Next map I stayed frozen with 3 white bars but a message saying I had a low connection. I could see everything in real time but couldn't do anything.
  • Rook008 wrote: »
    Dice, I think what a lot of players want you to work on is a form of Matchmaking that simply shuffles teams around after every map load. So they play attack and then defend and then (on a new map) matchmaking shuffles the existing players and keeps them in the same lobby. Getting put into different lobbies is not wanted. Neither is disturbing the normal, linear, map rotation.
    Also, probably, this would lead to fewer players quitting. And map rotation would stay intact. Also, parties should stay together.

Would this be feasible?

This. THIS. When players say they want better matchmaking, this is basically what we are asking for. Even in early threads on this topic, people were bringing up the system in BF2015, because it worked fairly well. C'mon EA, you did this in Battlefront 1, so we all know you know how to make it work. Obviously, you know how to make it work. Whatever you are doing lately, it IS. Not. Working. And no one is happy with what is happening. We're not happy with the empty rooms. We're not happy with the total lack of balance. We're not happy with being dumped into random maps. We're not happy with the mystery matchmake button. We're not happy being separated from players that we just had a good match with. We're not happy with the ridiculous wait times in between matches while your servers try to find new empty lobbies to dump us into.
    If you proceed down this path, you are not going to have satisfied customers.
  • Unwarycoin
    3078 posts Member
    I have not had problems with matchmaking, but I prefer the old system.
    Hi, if you are reading this I would like to inform you that this is a placeholder sig
    #JoinTheBuzz
  • MAKE IT STOP.
  • I've also experienced many of the issues dicussed in this thread. So far, no good.
  • BluDude
    278 posts Member
    So far it's been working ok in HvV, but that's probably the only good thing about all of this. Please turn it off ASAP
  • Serously please stop trying with the matchmaking. It's completely ruining the game. Again matchmaking after every single map is screwing with making new friends. You no longer get to play multiple maps with folks who you work well with. On top of that the damned delays between each map now are ridiculous and it takes away from gameplay. Instead of doing an entire map cycle I'm lucky to do 4 maps before I have run out of time. And its not even working well! Still one sided matches as always. If matchmaking is going to happen its going to happen because the players can quit out of stacked matches and join teams that aren't 1 sided. Stop ruining the game with this lame system you keep trying to roll out I'm completely fed up with it.
    -D0MlNl0N-

"It takes a big man to cry...but it takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man!"
  • Mitsurugi_W
    74 posts Member
    edited June 21
    This game will never have good matchmaking because there is no multiplayer ranking system. And you can't go by level of the troopers because anyone can grind that even if they suck.

Shuffling between maps is the way to go in my opinion.
  • New_Roosterman
    360 posts Member
    edited June 21
    So I went on a US server to find a game of Starfighter Assault. Found a game on the Unexplored Regions map and started on the First Order side. We just held off the Resistance for as hard fought win in the final phase. We then played through as the Resistance and my team won with about 30-40 tickets left.
    So up comes the Matchmake button so I press it. After it does its thing, puts me in a new game. On the D'qar map, the next one in rotation, right? Nope. It back tracks 2 maps in the rotation to Kamino and puts me with a complete new group of players on that map.
    So I play out the Kamino map. We win as the Separtists and we stop them when we are the Republic in the 2nd phase with around 20% left on the cruisers health. When matchmaking comes up I don't push the button I just let its course run.
    The result was this yet again -
    4xc0ingfgg54.png
    So, yet again I have to go and find a game in progress. -_-
    This is so unimprressive it is spectacular in its badness and in the fact you keep throwing this at us and ignore all the feedback from the people on the end of it. If I was running a course on customer relations, this would be an example I would use of what not to do.
  • DWB1873
    175 posts Member
    Good concept - but poor experience.

On PC it kept matchmaking me whether I asked for it or not. This meant I was experiencing long delays between matches while it tried to find complete new games - but yet I often ended up with many of the same players.

Not effect - still unbalanced games but much longer waits between them.

Frustrating and on that experience, please turn it off.

As others have said -shuffle the current players -not effectively reset - especially when the player base isn’t huge this long into the games age.
  • So again, on pC, on a US server. Star a game on Kamino. Joined it in progress as the Republic with the other team having 200 tickets after the first phase. We stop them with the Venerator engines at 10%. We play the second time and as the Separatists we win with about 70 tickets left.
    I click the matchmaking button at the end of the round and this is what it gives me-
    2pip68ptan1t.png
    This is NOT an improvement.
  • Ffs ffs ffs
  • H4YW1R3
    63 posts Member
    Just turn it off. We don't need anything that tries to manipulate the outcomes of the game. Nothing. Just let us play.

Every time I manage to find a game of Blast, it only lasts one round. A lot of times there's barely enough people to start a game. Then someone hits matchmaker and I get kicked to an empty lobby. Which means I'm back to trying to find a game of Blast, which ends often enough with the "we can't find a game for you..." message. Over and over.

The matchmaker makes the game unplayable. Never see any more of the map rotation than the one map I finally get into, because after that round, it's back to an empty lobby as soon as someone hits matchmaker. Not worth my time. And definitely not worth any money.
  • UsernameTaken
    18 posts Member
    edited June 21
    Seems to me the problem with this system is as follows:
    And a question, I haven't explored this myself yet, is anyone being split up from a friend they were playing with? This was a problem the last time they tried this matchmaking. Just wondering if they addressed it before I start going thru the trouble of trying to play with a friend.

Yes, it kept us (2) together through about 5 matchmaking cycles, although most of them ended in just the 2 of us in a lobby on our own so we had to quit out and join an actual game. Then it split us - my friend was in a full game while I was stuck on "searching for extraction" with progress at 100%.
    UK PS4 Playing mostly Strike and Extraction
  • And why have a button for matchmaking, if when you don't press it it goes ahead and does it anyway?

Surely the button should be to cancel matchmaking. Or even better, make it opt IN - if you don't press it, you stay where you are.
    UK PS4 Playing mostly Strike and Extraction
  • Its pretty bad.....really bad
  • EV02AAA
    707 posts Member
    Utter trash for me, PS4 European servers.

I played a couple of hours last night of Extraction, HS and SA. In all three I had a really good, balanced game and then got booted to a server with no one on it. On SA I then went from one stomp to another.

Just turn it off and shuffle teams at each map change as many others are saying...
  • lok
    952 posts Member
    Shuffle teams yes,but what happens to those when squads get implemented? i mean there mite be a 10 people in a squad/voip etc that want to stay together.
  • lok wrote: »
    Shuffle teams yes,but what happens to those when squads get implemented? i mean there mite be a 10 people in a squad/voip etc that want to stay together.

To be honest, I don't really care. But that's just a personal opinion.

Squading up friends who benefit from a voip on the same sides is just a form a team stacking if it's used in a server full of pubs. If there's going to be a squad system, then I believe those "squads" should have to compromise by accepting the possibility of a long wait to find lobbies while they're matched against other "squads".

But squads mean nothing to me considered aside a game breaking matchmaker. Bring on the shuffle! Or at least a vote shuffle that requires a vote threshold.
This discussion has been closed.