criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Rating the Solo Season

Empire_TW
5984 posts Member
Now that the second part of the Solo season has been out for a week I think it's time to judge this season as a whole now. I'm gonna be judging it for what it is instead of judging for what it isn't that means I'm not gonna give it a 0/10 for not have GA maps or anything like that. Here is the trailer as a reminder of everything we got.

Overall I'd give the Solo season a 6/10 and I'll be going over the stuff in the order of the trailer.

Maps:

The Coaxium Mine is a great map, flows really well in extraction and is very detailed.

Jabba's Palace though being recycled feels new and plays better IMO then last game so it too is good though HvV getting cornered by saber users is quite frustrating.

Modes:

Hero showdown is a good alternate to HvV but I think it needs more options and given that it is only a 2v2 introducing a server poll system to decide things like choosing to 1v1 instead of waiting for more people to join.

Extraction is my favorite part of this season and was my favorite mode from last game and with the exception of the final phase of Jabba's palace being a bit too hard for the rebels to win I think the mode is very well done. The class system with this game improves the mode aswell.

Starfighter Arcade, I personally don't like starfighter assault that much however I do like the flying in this game so getting it in offline is a big plus for me and considering how Battlefront 2015 was a game that wasn't made to last and had little to no offline content it is great to see that this game is getting future offline content.

Skins:

Boushh Leia: One of the most unique skins in the game and my favorite Leia skin so far. It should be noted it didn't work when it first came out though.

Lando Skiff Disguise: This one is nicely detailed too but I think it is not as nice as the other skins Lando has.

Chewbacca Heist: It is funny to see Chewbacca with goggles on but this one gives off the same vibe as the injured skin does, changes are small and not very noticeable.

Han Becket Crew: Skin looks great but I think after awhile I'll be going back to one of the more iconic Harrison Ford Solo skin.

Han Corellia escape: This skin looks great however I find it unnecessary. The reason being in the following spoiler.
This skin is from the first part of the Solo film, I liked the Solo film but I found the beginning to be the weakest part due to it feeling rushed and having little context.

Lando Sportsman: Another great looking skin though as a Lando main I think I just can't go on without Billy D Williams for too long. I'll get into the voice acting in a bit

Lando Gambler: This skin is funny and silly looking however just like the Corellia escape skin I find it unnecessary. Again reason being in the following spoiler.
This skin is barely in the film, it is in one of the very last bits where Solo wins the Falcon from Lando.

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT THE SKINS
If it weren't obvious already they didn't get the actual actors to voice them. Han is alright but Lando is really off and is kinda quite, HOWEVER I do like some of the new lines he says so that kinda makes up for it. But one thing I really don't like is that if you use these skins most of their banter is gone (but is sometimes replaced). Young Lando won't yell "Come out of that armor let's see how tough you really are" at Vader anymore and young Han won't banter with Leia anymore. There is some new banter there like young Han telling Phasma "look you don't wanna get scuffed so let's call it a draw" or Young Lando telling Palpatine he isn't intimidated by him but I don't think this makes up for the great stuff their default and other skins had.

I know I also said I was gonna judge this for what we got instead of what we didn't get but I think the 2 skins I thought were unnecessary could have been swapped out for other stuff from the Solo film.

Lando's Falcon, now as stated before I said I didn't really like Starfighter assault but even taking my bias away this still doesn't seem too good. My favorite hero ships are Maul and Yoda for their effectiveness and Iden and Poe for their ability to mark targets and blend in (I also really like those 2 characters). All 3 Falcons stick out and always seem to get ganged up on and killed quickly. Also the chatter between Lando and L3 is rather abrupt and not very good. Lando's voice actor is really on display here since you don't get the great looking skin or the cool lines he says when using his land hero gadgets. If you didn't like the character L3 from the movie odds are using this will really put you off.

Conclusion
I give this season a 6/10 but If I took my bias for extraction out I think it would be a 5/10. The main reason being this season being split into 2 parts. It seemed to be an unnecessary thing because nothing in this season spoils the the film except maybe the lore description for the skins but those could have been added in a later patch. I also think there were other things from Solo that could have been added like Mud Troopers, the patrol stormtrooper, Mimban Imperial officers with trench coats. The very lackluster Falcon is also kinda disappointing.

In summary

+Extraction
+Maps
+Great looking skins
+Hero Showdown

-The season being split into 2
-Lando's Falcon is lackluster
-Lando's voice actor isn't really good and alot of great hero banter comes at the cost of using the new solo skins
-There was better things from the Solo movie that could have been added (again I know this kinda contradicts a statement I made earlier)
Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
hojevrxvarht.png
PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.

Replies

• stevenomes
    4645 posts Member
    5/10
    considering how bare the game has been with content since December, the actual content in this release is pretty meager.

the highlight was extraction and lando/han legendary skins.

hero showdown is temp mode so I cant give it much weight and the challenges have been broken as well.

new maps are always welcome even if only available for limited modes.

have to ding it for releasing another falcon. feels like this was just added for filler.

with no actual new content like guns, star cards, heroes, classes, permanent modes this season feels pretty weak.
  • Empire_TW
    5984 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    stevenomes wrote: »
    5/10
    considering how bare the game has been with content since December, the actual content in this release is pretty meager.

the highlight was extraction and lando/han legendary skins.

hero showdown is temp mode so I cant give it much weight and the challenges have been broken as well.

new maps are always welcome even if only available for limited modes.

have to ding it for releasing another falcon. feels like this was just added for filler.

with no actual new content like guns, star cards, heroes, classes, permanent modes this season feels pretty weak.

Are they indeed broken? Last time i tried them they were just written incorrectly, Ones that said "as Hero A or Hero B are present" required them both to be there. Haven't tried any of the challenges for weeks.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • stevenomes
    4645 posts Member
    there are multiple threads about HS challenges being broken, mostly that the kills dont register consistently in any pattern.
  • Llunotts
    281 posts Member
    I remember the BF1 dlcs, and they gaved more content, for example to say something The Bespin Dlc being the Season 2 on Bf2, their stats are:
    2 heroes-0 heroes

5 maps one being Starfighter-2 maps one being recycled and the other small compared to the Bespin

2 weapons-0 weapons

4 skins(wing guard, shock trooper, alderaan guard royal guard)- 7skins

1 new ship-1 skin hero ship

1 new mode Sabotage awesome-2 modes one being recycled and the other poor.

Conclusion: paid dlcs were better than these ones, more content in general, 4/10 for solo
  • 3/10.

They introduced more bugs than gameplay content. They actually removed a map, even if temporarilly, so that's even less content. Some of the new skins are incredibly good though. I'd probably give a 6/10 if it wasn't for the bugs.

Also, not so season related, but I'm very worried with the new matchmaking they're testing. From my player perspective, it is one of the worst things they've ever attempted to introduce to this franchise and it seems like Dice are seeing results as "positive".
  • Empire_TW
    5984 posts Member
    danilojbg wrote: »
    3/10.

They introduced more bugs than gameplay content. They actually removed a map, even if temporarilly, so that's even less content. Some of the new skins are incredibly good though. I'd probably give a 6/10 if it wasn't for the bugs.

Also, not so season related, but I'm very worried with the new matchmaking they're testing. From my player perspective, it is one of the worst things they've ever attempted to introduce to this franchise and it seems like Dice are seeing results as "positive".

I'd blame that more on the patch instead of the seadon, which yeah it technically is a patch but Crait and Palpatine don't have anything to with the Solo stuff.

All this matchmaking stuff seems like a waste to me, at least as far as GA is concerned. When my team is getting steamrolled it isn't because the other team is better it is because my team just doesn't want to play the objective. We aren't getting outplayed, my team isn't showing up to play at all.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • bfloo
    14776 posts Member
    I'd give it a C-.

Extraction was good, but needed more maps.

Until we get a skin selector, skins are just kind of meh for me.

I'd complain about the solo skin prices, but I wasn't going to get them anyway.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• stevenomes
    4645 posts Member
    I dont know if we can really call it a season. just maybe a few themed releases.
  • Empire_TW
    5984 posts Member
    I dont know if we can really call it a season. just maybe a few themed releases.

It did come with a new ship, 2 new modes, and a new map. But then again we've gotten 2 new modes in patches along with Administrators palace.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • I'd hardly call this a season: They gave some sort of effort though despite knowing the uproar against it. 4/10, just because they announced clone wars at the very end.
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif
  • stevenomes
    4645 posts Member
    Empire_TW wrote: »

It did come with a new ship, 2 new modes, and a new map. But then again we've gotten 2 new modes in patches along with Administrators palace.

it's both temporary modes. one of the ships is the 3rd mellenium falcon. so I dont even count that.
  • t3hBar0n
    5000 posts Member
    3/10. I am not interested in the added modes, and they added nothing for GA. Additionally, the introduction of numerous bugs (particularly to my fave villain Palpatine) has severely limited my enjoyment of GA. Finally, they further bowed to the noob crowd with more unnecessary nerfs. The only positive thing is the skins which are cool, but cosmetics are tertiary to gameplay and balance which both suffered. Thankfully I am super busy IRL so I haven't had much time to play anyways.
  • ross42899
    1464 posts Member
    + Kessel map
    + Jabba's palace map (although recycled, it's a nice map and available offline for the first time)
    + new hero skins
    + offline starfighter battles
    + extraction

- no new trooper skins (was expectimg mudtroopers or patrol troopers at least)
    - no Maul skin
    - no new weapons
    - no new SA map (was expecting a Maw/Kessel run map with nebula & asteroids)

Would rate the season around 6.5/10. It was okay. Not too bad, but not great either. Some wasted potential, like no SA map or no trooper skins.
  • stevenomes wrote: »

it's both temporary modes. one of the ships is the 3rd mellenium falcon. so I dont even count that.

Unless I'm missing something neither Extraction nor hero showdown is temporary.

This is a C- season.
    Positives-
    The new maps and Extraction are great additions. Starfighter arcade was another essential update.

The new skins look really good. The amount of detail is insane.

Ewok Hunt was back(and is supposed to be returning in the hotfix), maybe permanently? At least semi-permanently.

Honestly...the Lando falcon is different enough that I think it's worthy of being its own hero, but it should've cost less because it's still just a slight difference. Rey's Falcon is completely unnecessary, this one is all right by me. If only because I was expecting it to be yet another identical ship.

Negatives-
    Jetpack Cargo is back and is still really annoying.

We didn't need TWO young Han and Y oung Lando each. It's just redundant. If they had had more skins in addition to those four it would've been fine, but it feels like we really only got five new skins.

No new heroes, trooper skins, or weapons/starcards

No Villain ships, so that the hero ships now outnumber villains by two.

No new GA or SA maps.

What's here is fine, but it really needed more.
  • Empire_TW
    5984 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »
    I'd give it a C-.

The only thing I don't like about the new skin's price is that they didn't have Donald Glover actually voice Lando. For 80,000 they could have at least gotten the right voice actor.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • I'm waiting for the season to start first..then i'll rate it..lol
  • JAREDUP
    1564 posts Member
    Poor, part 1was the best, part 2 isn't appealing

Leai Boush is best thing from it though
    For the Greater Good

9k2nxbv51kuu.gif
  • bfloo
    14776 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »
    I'd give it a C-.

The only thing I don't like about the new skin's price is that they didn't have Donald Glover actually voice Lando. For 80,000 they could have at least gotten the right voice actor.

1st time I heard Fando talk i couldn't figure out who it was.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• 4/10

Extraction is fun but two maps limits its appeal.

As the only new terrain, Kessel is small and should at least have been included in Strike.

Skins don’t count as content, especially without the option to switch in-game.

Another Falcon is redundant and doesn’t feel like anything new.

No new maps for Galactic Assault or Starfighter Assault.

I play a few rounds of Extraction to warm up for GA, but it isn’t anything I can really dig into. Occasionally I get a chuckle out of somebody bombin’ around in the new Lando skin - it does look good - but I’m not interested in purchasing skins for old characters from new movies that cost a months worth of grinding, especially with four new heroes on the horizon.

The bottom line is that none of the new content had much impact on me as a GA main.
  • The skins for Leia, Han and Lando are great. Voice acting for Lando legendary skin is bad. Chewie skin meh - 9/10

Extraction with no Hero's - 5/10

Kessel map - 8/10

No new Hero's, cards or vehicles - 0/10

Total - 6/10