criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Community Transmission - Hero Starfighters Update

Prev13
F8RGE
301 posts EA Community Manager
edited July 2
Incoming Transmission

Coming out of EA Play, we were totally blown away by the sheer volume and positive comments in response to the announcement of more Clone Wars era content.

Thank you for making EA Play one of the teams’ most memorable to date.

Before we jump into new things, we wanted to take the time to address a topic that came up after the new hero announcements at EA Play.

As you know, heroes will cost credits. With our Progression Update in March, we unlocked all available heroes and Hero ships for all players at that time. However, new heroes and hero ships added since then will be unlocked with Credits.

We’re currently establishing the cost of new heroes, but we can confirm that they will not cost more than a legendary appearance. The legendary appearance cost is the upper most ceiling in terms of pricing, and we expect new heroes to come in under this.

We can’t wait for you to be able to play with the new heroes. We will share more details as updates are made.

Now, onto all the great new content released today as part of our July update!

The July update, releasing on July 3 and titled “Hero Starfighters Update,” is focused around Hero Starfighters – a mode similar to Heroes vs Villains but based entirely in space.

Here are all the details.

Hero Starfighters
Prove that you’re the best pilot in the galaxy and put your skills to the test in Hero Starfighters.

We’ve seen a lot of discussion from the community about the potential inclusion of a Starfighter game mode focusing on hero starfighters such as Darth Vader’s TIE Advanced or Yoda’s Jedi Interceptor, and we’re excited to be bringing it to you.

At the start of the round, each player will spawn as a hero ship. Once defeated, you’ll then be able to respawn as any of the regular starfighters.

The first team to defeat all enemy hero ships wins the round. It’s a best of five, so the first team to win three rounds takes the overall victory.

The mode acts as a great way to level up your Hero Starfighters, which we know has been a hot topic amongst the community. To give you a head start, we’ll also be running a couple of double experience weekends. The first of these starts July 6.

Lightsaber Combat
We’ve made some changes to the way Lightsaber combat works. This should help prevent the lightsaber ‘block-off’, where players are able to block indefinitely with no penalty.

The change also gives us more levers to pull, making lightsaber heroes feel different from each other and give them a bit more personality.

For example, Darth Vader is a master of blocking but has a hard time getting stamina back, whereas Kylo Ren is a lightsaber swinging machine but he will need to cooldown before regenerating his stamina.

The changes:
  • Added a Stamina cost to triggering block
  • Added a constant stamina cost to holding block
  • Added a delay before stamina regens after a lightsaber attack or block

Lightsaber Ignition
Not many things are more iconic than the sound of a lightsaber igniting, and once the July update arrives, you’ll be able to do just that. Take control of your favorite lightsaber-wielding heroes and turn the weapon on and off at will.

Appearance Swapping pre-round
Since the progression update arrived, one of the most requested bits of feedback that we’ve seen has been for the option to swap appearances pre-round. Coming in July, you’ll be able to do just that.

Heading to Endor but want to change out of your Hoth appearance for Leia? Consider it done.

Hero Showdown
We’ve made some Quality of Life changes to Hero Showdown, starting with the implementation of a team health widget as part of the User Interface. This will allow you to see the health for all heroes within the game, as well as the current score and time remaining.

The spawn screen has been updated and will now display heroes slightly differently. When selecting the hero to play as, all available heroes will have fully coloured portraits. We’ve also added text to prompt the winning team that they must choose new heroes.

New milestones related to Hero Showdown have also been added.

Limited Time Modes
A small change has been implemented onto the UI within the Operations menu. All limited-time events will now have their remaining duration displayed upon their tile within the game menu.

Also, due to the popularity of Extraction, we have decided to make this mode permanent for the foreseeable future.

And finally, Yavin will be a new map added to the rotation for Jetpack Cargo.

Blast
Included in the next update is a small change to Blast that sees the player count reduced from 20 to 16. This has been done for a variety of reasons, most prominently is that we are preparing for the addition of the new squad system. Because the squad system works with teams of 4, it’s important that the total player count accommodate this.

Wrapping Up
The Hero Starfighters update comes out tomorrow (July 3rd) and you can find the full patch notes here.

We’re looking forward to hearing what you think, especially around the Hero Starfighters game mode and the changes to lightsaber combat. Drop your feedback in all the usual places and we’ll see you on the Battlefront.

Punch it
Post edited by F8RGE on

Replies

• Meh.
    Good for people who want the starfighter mode I guess.

But absolutely nothing to hold my attention personally. Also lol at new maps for jetpack cargo but not extraction.

What about the sullistian skin?
  • Liked it! Is it also possible to change the appearances on the round screens in Arcade?
  • Devlin21
    8035 posts Member
    Meh.

But absolutely nothing to hold my attention personally. Also lol at new maps for jetpack cargo but not extraction.

sullustan skin is coming tomorrow.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• Meh.

sullustan skin is coming tomorrow.

Awesome knew it was coming but it's not in these notes. Was thinking it might be the August update instead
  • grimmace2
    694 posts Member
    Excited for the double XP weekend to coincide with Hero Starfighter release. Should be able to get almost everything purple this weekend. Awesome!
  • TheScape
    894 posts Member
    The only thing I'm worried about after reading the patch notes is how the changes to hero ships will affect Starfighter Assault (some of them got nerfed, but most of them got a considerable HP boost). Oh and this change is amazing for balance:
    STARFIGHTER ASSAULT
    • Changed Starfighter Assault Hero ship limits so one of the 3 ships doesn't have to be the Millennium Falcon & increased Villain ship limits to 3 from 2.
  • NomiSunstrider
    1221 posts Member
    edited July 2
    Awesome patch notes. Can't wait to test the new stamina changes to lightsaber blocking. Though one thing came to mind, if holding block drains stamina then deflecting blaster bolts drains it even more? If so then blaster deflections would become impossible you would run out of stamina instantly.
    ''The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel he understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if he had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the Dark Lord out of necessity to prevent a greater evil''
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

• I don't get people saying this update doesn't have enough. It's a minor update with a new game mode that lots of people have wanted.

Not a game mode I wanted though, but it is content and it was requested so...
  • InFernoZ
    277 posts Member
    Is there going to be any downtime or none at all?
    Luke main
  • I can't wait to try the Starfighter stuff! And double XP.
  • grimmace2
    694 posts Member
    TheScape wrote: »
    The only thing I'm worried about after reading the patch notes is how the changes to hero ships will affect Starfighter Assault (some of them got nerfed, but most of them got a considerable HP boost). Oh and this change is amazing for balance:
    STARFIGHTER ASSAULT
    • Changed Starfighter Assault Hero ship limits so one of the 3 ships doesn't have to be the Millennium Falcon & increased Villain ship limits to 3 from 2.

Yes, that is long overdue and much appreciated! The SA changes mode in preparation for HvV SA should be welcomed across the board. Except for maybe players who mained the Falcons :D
  • Finally I can level my hero ships. I love to fly with them but everytime I'm targeted in zero time :\
  • Toddyrocket
    1981 posts Member
    It begins
    I hope there will be new maps for extraction sooner rather than later
  • Conquest / Galactic conquest for arcade offline please in future please.

No map boundaries. :)

listen to this man
  • Three daily challenges is pretty good, an upgrade of 500 per day if you beat all three.

Double xp so hopefully can land that Sullust skin twice
  • Awesome! Luke’s blocking has always annoyed me, sounds great!
    @Dash, can you approve this?
    "In My Book, Experience outranks Everything"
    #cartoonsarecanontoo
    #theclonewarssaved
    PSN: HyperGamerMk2
    YT: GiantSlayer YT
    Check out all my concepts Here
    pqhrojr3gg47.jpg
  • Devlin21
    8035 posts Member
    InFernoZ wrote: »
    Is there going to be any downtime or none at all?

No downtime
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• marcatzeri wrote: »
    Finally I can level my hero ships. I love to fly with them but everytime I'm targeted in zero time :\

Yeah. I tried out the new Falcon this weekend, but... it was embarrassing.
  • grimmace2
    694 posts Member
    Overall I think everything for this content drop looks pretty good. Thanks @F8RGE

Question: any new info regarding the duplicate credits compensation crate? It's been a couple of weeks since the last communication and I was waiting to see if it was going to be address in the next patch. Nothing in the patch notes suggested it has been addressed. Can you let us know where we stand with the issue?
  • but it is content and it was requested so...

Yeah, I don't understand how this is actually that hard for poeple to see. WHy is everyone complaining when they got what they asked for???
    F8RGE wrote: »
    Once defeated, you’ll then be able to respawn as any of the regular starfighters.

Oh dear. The villains are going to be dominated by Y-wings almost every map that's not the sequel trilogy..............
  • Will9113
    22 posts Member
    edited July 2
    Interesting changes, I’m worried about about the Saber combat being a attack spam fest if the stamina change is done wrong. Also what’s to stop the likes of Vader just dashing dashing backwards and avoiding combat until the other lightsaber user runs out of stamina and then just chokes him? It would be nice to know how each light Saber’s stamina/stamina mangment changes instead of having to figure it out for myself. Additionally it would be nice if there was a visual cue to tell when someone is out of stamina if stamina management is the route they want to take.
  • grimmace2
    694 posts Member
    but it is content and it was requested so...

Yeah, I don't understand how this is actually that hard for poeple to see. WHy is everyone complaining when they got what they asked for???
    Once defeated, you’ll then be able to respawn as any of the regular starfighters.

Oh dear. The villains are going to be dominated by Y-wings almost every map that's not the sequel trilogy..............

Patch notes already indicated the Y-Wing Ion cannon will be nerfed in the Hero Starfighter mode.
  • Nexo
    17 posts Member
    These are all great changes! Thank you all on the team!
  • T0TALfps
    1150 posts EA Community Manager
    TheScape wrote: »
    STARFIGHTER ASSAULT

We'll be looking forward to hearing some feedback once you've had some time to check it out :smile:
    beq77m6aitvn.png
    EA Community Coordinator, Battlefield & Battlefront
    Twitter - Board Guidelines
    // Some of my posts may not represent the opinions of EA or DICE.
  • but it is content and it was requested so...

I understand being disappointed in not getting what they want but sullistian skin and three daily challenges will be fun.

I'll try the starship mode, but I doubt I'll be of much use in it.
  • AzorAhai
    732 posts Member
    I'm stoked!
  • Mastahpeece
    1587 posts Member
    edited July 2
    The prematch skin selector is nice

oh
    Han Solo's Millennium Falcon
    Reduced total health (hull + shield) from 20k → 14k
    Tweaked regen values from 1200>1100
    h9vsEca.gif

PSN - Gingertom_ add me if you feel like it

i hate this game why am i here

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • alexDD55
    70 posts Member
    The changes are fine and 3 challenges will fill up all modes.
    Double XP Weekend is great. Finally a chance to lvl up some cards ?
  • Batman20
    1232 posts Member
    edited July 2
    If your a fan of SA this is an update that am sure you will be excited about. But for the people like myself not fussed on SA it's not a great update and apart from trying out the new saber changes it won't make me wanna play this loads during July
  • Rook008
    667 posts Member
    edited July 2
    I really don't like all the changes you made to Hero ships health. It seemed to me that they were very well balanced in SA and really, you guys idea of balance is frightening.

All of the other changes look good though.
    She's so fine, there's no telling where the money went.
  • Batman20 wrote: »
    If your a fan of SA this is an update that am sure you will be excited about. But for the people like myself not fussed on SA it's not a great update and apart from trying out the new saber changes it won't make me wanna play this loads during July

I'm in this same boat.
    I recognize that this is a decent sized update for a minor one, but there's not much that's gripping me.
  • Rook008 wrote: »
    I really don't like all the changes you made to Hero ships health. It seemed to me that they were very well balanced in SA and really, you guys idea of balance is frightening.

Can not agree with you.
    Health of the heroships are terrible, Iden Versio does not have a chance against any standard ship.
    Visually different ships, like the falcon are immediately target number one and can not survive for long, if they do not have purple cards on health.
  • Rook008
    667 posts Member
    They are balanced, which to me is more important than being overpowered. Hero ships don't dominate unless flown by a skilled pilot and don't influence the game too much.
    This change makes me think they're trying to make Hero Ships as unbalanced as Heroes are in Galactic Assault, which is a huge mistake.
    She's so fine, there's no telling where the money went.
  • Supino
    58 posts Member
    I dont know how people cant notice that this is a hard nerf for the lightsabers heroes, especially at GA. Just triggering the block costs you stamina, keeping the block costs you more. How much is going to be left for blocking blasters? Or when you enter in a room and blocks a lightsaber atack + blasters?
  • Conquest / Galactic conquest for arcade offline please in future please.

No map boundaries. :)

They need to see this. If they add this i will be fully entertained until clone wars drops and will continue playing it even when clone wars comes!
  • Supino wrote: »
    I dont know how people cant notice that this is a hard nerf for the lightsabers heroes, especially at GA. Just triggering the block costs you stamina, keeping the block costs you more. How much is going to be left for blocking blasters? Or when you enter in a room and blocks a lightsaber atack + blasters?

I asked the same .
    ''The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel he understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if he had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the Dark Lord out of necessity to prevent a greater evil''
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

• Supino
    58 posts Member
    edited July 2
    Supino wrote: »

I asked the same .

Yeah, i saw your comment. Dont know why nobody noticed this issue. One heavy with a sentry can pretty much destroy your stamina in the current state, so lowering this capacity for a better 1 vs 1 lightsaber combat is not the right way to solve the problem.
  • Extraction has been awesome. A couple more boards in the rotation would be great. Hero starfighter sounds cool to try
  • Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    I liked blast with 20.... it’s already a bit sparse with players and I’m ok with some spawn kills because it is Blast.

But maybe this will lead to a strike + blast limited time playlist.
  • Evazan127 wrote: »
    I liked blast with 20.... it’s already a bit sparse with players and I’m ok with some spawn kills because it is Blast.

But maybe this will lead to a strike + blast limited time playlist.

I want more players not less so please make it 24, 12 on each team with a total of three squads for each side. Sounds fair.
  • LeftTurnus
    1093 posts Member
    Wow. Thanks for the update! Did not know Hero Ship HvV was coming so soon! B)
    Seriously. Like the Hero Ship changes. I am down to only needing to upgrade a few and they have been hard to get lately. Really looking forward to this.

Also happy to hear Extraction is staying. It is fun for a few matches a night. Just hope to see more maps for it soon!

Thumbs up for this update!
This discussion has been closed.