criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Future StarWars Story movies put on hold

rollind24
5218 posts Member
edited June 2018
http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/

Looks like Lucasfilm is rethinking these movies. Sad since I liked Solo. It’s only “sources say” so could be wrong.
#infantrylivesmatter

Replies

• rollind24 wrote: »
    http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/

Looks like Lucasfilm is rethinking these movies. Sad since I liked Solo. It’s only “sources say” so could be wrong.

I had heard that all they planned on doing was never releasing another Star Wars in May, and I had just heard like 3 days ago that Lucasfilm was talking to Ewan Mcgregor and that he wanted to play Obi-Wan again.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • Empire_TW
    5534 posts Member
    I really liked Solo too, though I'm not really a fan of 2 films a year though. But at the same time if they do 2 films a year odds are I'll get what I want to see. I'd like to see Janina play Iden in a film and see the Rogue 1 cast play their characters again. Can't help but feel the Rogue 1 actors might not be part of star wars again :( .
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    au1nfqtfyt82.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • I saw this news today... That would mean no Kenobi movie, which is very very sad. Just because one movie underperforms (Solo), they cancel? I hope not. They make so much money on everything else including Marvel, Pixar, etc.

I think the fandom surrounding Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan could save the movie.

People complaining of Disney “ruining the franchise” will be happy with less movie content, I guess?
  • My interest in Episode 9 just isn’t there, and if this is true, my interest in new SW movies won’t be there for a long time.
    Everything is proceeding as I have forseen.
  • bfloo
    14457 posts Member
    They should have pulled ep 9 and rian's trilogy.

The others at least sounded interesting.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Quizolio
    3221 posts Member
    The_Senate wrote: »
    My interest in Episode 9 just isn’t there, and if this is true, my interest in new SW movies won’t be there for a long time.

My own interest is already fading, and I have yet to see Solo (seeing it seems an unlikelihood at this point). If this does come out as true, then Star Wars is finished for me. It is sad that it has come to this, truly.
    "A thing called grammar needs a buff."
    - tankertoad
  • How are your interests fading? This is Star Wars!
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    How are your interests fading? This is Star Wars!

TLJ made my interests fade. I’ve yet to even watch solo simply because TLJ made me loose massive interest in anything SW related post the Disney buy. Still love the original 6 films and TCW show though.
  • Vespervin
    691 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    wipzcplnb4ok.jpeg

I didn’t like TFA. I really didn’t like TLJ. I didn’t like Soylo. I did, however, really enjoy RO, the only good Star Wars media since TCW (I didn’t like Rebels much either).
    Failed to connect to EA Online.
  • The_Senate
    79 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    SW movies, shows, and games have become bland since Disney took over.
    Everything is proceeding as I have forseen.
  • bfloo
    14457 posts Member

They forgot to develop the st characters and make them interesting. We got shallow stereotypes going through the motions.

Gareth did great with RO and Ron Howard actually made a fun flick with solo.

h846398gb27k.png

• Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Well your personal interests can change, but SW hasn’t changed that much with Disney controlling imo. Maybe you just don’t enjoy SW as much as the years go on. There are still many expanded universe material to consume like books/comics even if you don’t like the movies.

Maybe you don’t like the story line of the new trilogy, which is fair. Overall, the movies are polished and well done despite some plot points in the new trilogy that were slightly annoying. And RO and Solo were very entertaining. I don’understand why people on these forums who obviously/probably enjoy SW more than the average consumer wouldn’t be open enough to see Solo especially after hearing it was pretty good/entertaining.

Remember: The prequels were horrendous, yet looking back, many people here seem to like them or accept them for what they were. It has also come out that Lucas would have focused the new trilogy on the microscopic level of the force, so I am glad he wasn’t involved in them. We care about the people/stories, not the exact reasons behind the force.
  • Quizolio
    3221 posts Member
    There's nothing that excites me. In the grand scheme of things, Star Wars is back at square one: small group of good guys against evil army of baddies, one last Jedi to fight the darkness, main trio of characters in the mix of it all... Its the same formula that we've already seen before.
    "A thing called grammar needs a buff."
    - tankertoad
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Well your personal interests can change, but SW hasn’t changed that much with Disney controlling imo. Maybe you just don’t enjoy SW as much as the years go on. There are still many expanded universe material to consume like books/comics even if you don’t like the movies.

Maybe you don’t like the story line of the new trilogy, which is fair. Overall, the movies are polished and well done despite some plot points in the new trilogy that were slightly annoying. And RO and Solo were very entertaining. I don’understand why people on these forums who obviously/probably enjoy SW more than the average consumer wouldn’t be open enough to see Solo especially after hearing it was pretty good/entertaining.

Remember: The prequels were horrendous, yet looking back, many people here seem to like them or accept them for what they were. It has also come out that Lucas would have focused the new trilogy on the microscopic level of the force, so I am glad he wasn’t involved in them. We care about the people/stories, not the exact reasons behind the force.

The prequels weren’t “horrendous.” Maybe they seemed “horrendous” to some people but not to others. I’ve always loved the prequels ever since I first watched them. Meanwhile, the ST has always been horrendous to me. Terrible story telling, they put a reset on the entire story and made the events of the OT seem meaningless, shallow, bland characters, and they even trashed some of OG characters. (All my opinion of course)
    The big thing to remember here is that all this is opinionated. Those who like the PT don’t happen to like “horrendous” films. To you they’re horrendous but to others they’re great movies. Same with the ST. You like the ST? Great. Personally I think the ST is horrendous but I’m not telling people they like horrendous films.
    Post edited by Cad_Bane on
  • I very much disliked 2/3 Disney Star Wars movies I saw. Rogue one interested me the most because the characters were interesting.

The Force Awakens and The last Jedi were just so boring. I cant speak about the solo movie because I have not seen it and probably wont for a long time.

To see Star Wars movies put on hold is weird. Games getting delayed or cancelled is the usual thing for Star Wars but movies is weird.

But personally I don't care about an Obi wan movie or a Boba fett movie. To me Back stories of singular characters are better left to Video games or Tv shows.

For Jango we didn't get a Jango movie we got Star Wars Bounty Hunter. We were going to get Star Wars 1313 for Boba's back story before Disney cancelled it.

Plus I tend to only watch movies once.

I always wondered how other movies studious would treat star wars if they got it.

Like Lions gate or Warner Brothers.
    Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TroopperFoFo/ .
    Battlefront 2 , Battlefield and more.
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Cad_Bane wrote: »

The prequels weren’t “horrendous.” Maybe they seemed “horrendous” to some people but not to others. I’ve always loved the prequels ever since I first watched them. Meanwhile, the ST has always been horrendous to me. Terrible story telling, they put a reset on the entire story and made the events of the OT seem meaningless, shallow, bland characters, and they even trashed some of OG characters. (All my opinion of course)
    The big thing to remember here is that all this is opinionated. Those who like the PT don’t happen to like “horrendous” films. To you their horrendous but to others their great movies. Same with the ST. You like the ST? Great. Personally I think the ST is horrendous but I’m not telling people they like horrendous films.

Episode 1/2 were, for the most part, horrendous in my opinion. Obviously there were some entertaining parts and characters I enjoyed. Also, I never said you like horrendous films. I only gave my opinion (and many others’). From a filmmaking perspective the sequel movies are so much better.

Anyway, I don’t think TLJ alone hurt Solo. There was just very little excitement about the movie from the start.

I’m mostly annoyed at Disney if this is true. One movie underperforms and they are all worried? They have so much money from Marvel movies, so I think they can afford taking some risks.
  • AzorAhai
    1266 posts Member
    I think Disney's biggest flaw was the attempt to possibly start putting out 2 SW films per year...testing the waters with this May release for Solo so soon after TLJ. I was worried that it might be a fail by putting out one every year. If they can keep it at one movie every 2 years, or even 3 every 5 years, I think they'll be fine.

Episode 1 and 2 were both very flawed, but I embrace them (I embrace them all). I have similar issues with Episode 4, but Rogue One actually helped those a little. I was disappointed in TLJ the first time I saw it, all because I had too many preconceived notions as to what should be in it. Particularly, a friend had spoiled for me that it contained "the greatest lightsaber fight of the whole saga." This...is what ruined it for me. I spent the entire film waiting for a lightsaber duel that never came, so I sat in disbelief as the credits started rolling.

Went to see it a couple weeks later and felt a whole lot better about it.
  • rollind24
    5218 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    AzorAhai wrote: »
    I think Disney's biggest flaw was the attempt to possibly start putting out 2 SW films per year...testing the waters with this May release for Solo so soon after TLJ. I was worried that it might be a fail by putting out one every year. If they can keep it at one movie every 2 years, or even 3 every 5 years, I think they'll be fine.

Episode 1 and 2 were both very flawed, but I embrace them (I embrace them all). I have similar issues with Episode 4, but Rogue One actually helped those a little. I was disappointed in TLJ the first time I saw it, all because I had too many preconceived notions as to what should be in it. Particularly, a friend had spoiled for me that it contained "the greatest lightsaber fight of the whole saga." This...is what ruined it for me. I spent the entire film waiting for a lightsaber duel that never came, so I sat in disbelief as the credits started rolling.

Went to see it a couple weeks later and felt a whole lot better about it.

I think Star Wars fandom could stomach 2 SW movies a year if the movies progressed a storyline. I know people stayed home because they didn’t like TLJ but I really they hurt themselves by releasing it so close to Infinity War and Deadpool. Blockbuster fatigue might have set it in more than SW fatigue, just my take.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Disney disputed the story today, but I'm sure there is still truth to it. My only hope with a Kenobi movie is that it fits between episodes 3 & 4 nicely, so it's not just a side story/history of a character like Solo and Boba Fett (probably would have been). Also Ewan McGregor is popular if they cast him, so I still think it will happen but maybe later than expected (despite never even being announced in the first place).

This is similar to Rogue One as being a small connecting part of the main trilogies and probably why RO did well, along with obviously being a well done movie.

I know the Star Wars universe is bigger than Obi Wan, but I'm a fan of him if you couldn't tell! :D
  • DarthJ
    6139 posts Member
    Disney disputed the story today, but I'm sure there is still truth to it. My only hope with a Kenobi movie is that it fits between episodes 3 & 4 nicely, so it's not just a side story/history of a character like Solo and Boba Fett (probably would have been). Also Ewan McGregor is popular if they cast him, so I still think it will happen but maybe later than expected (despite never even being announced in the first place).

This is similar to Rogue One as being a small connecting part of the main trilogies and probably why RO did well, along with obviously being a well done movie.

I know the Star Wars universe is bigger than Obi Wan, but I'm a fan of him if you couldn't tell! :D

The problem I have with a film covering Obi-Wan between 3 and 4 is its so...unnecessary. As much as I love the character and would love to see him. The comics have covered a couple of his goings on in this period (defending Jawas from Tuskens, secretly stopping Jabbas thugs, fighting Black Krrsantan the bounty hunter). I just couldnt see it making a good film. He cant go off planet as that then wrecks the notion he stayed on Tatooine to watch over Luke. He cant fight the Empire, as they would have then known where he was and confirmed he was alive, leading Vader to track him. I just think it wouldnt be a good setting or scenario.
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    DarthJ wrote: »
    Disney disputed the story today, but I'm sure there is still truth to it. My only hope with a Kenobi movie is that it fits between episodes 3 & 4 nicely, so it's not just a side story/history of a character like Solo and Boba Fett (probably would have been). Also Ewan McGregor is popular if they cast him, so I still think it will happen but maybe later than expected (despite never even being announced in the first place).

The problem I have with a film covering Obi-Wan between 3 and 4 is its so...unnecessary. As much as I love the character and would love to see him. The comics have covered a couple of his goings on in this period (defending Jawas from Tuskens, secretly stopping Jabbas thugs, fighting Black Krrsantan the bounty hunter). I just couldnt see it making a good film. He cant go off planet as that then wrecks the notion he stayed on Tatooine to watch over Luke. He cant fight the Empire, as they would have then known where he was and confirmed he was alive, leading Vader to track him. I just think it wouldnt be a good setting or scenario.
    The comics also have Kenobi fight A'Sharad Hett/Darth Krayt, which would be thoroughly entertaining as a lightsaber battle. They could also have Kenobi fight Maul towards the end of the movie like in Rebels. Those would both be very entertaining along woto h what you mentioned as plot lines.

Why does it matter if the setting of the movie is only on Tattoine? It’s a big enough planet with many towns, and so many movies have have been set on the planet at least temporarily, which makes it popular. He could actually fight stormtroopers covertly using his Jedi skills wearing a disguise or even just a hooded robe without a lightsaber.

Also: RO was only necessary because the director made up that plot. Episode 4 existed for many years and we all just assumed that they had the Death Star plans but not exactly how they got them.

It was necessary for Luke to be kept secret and protected. Maybe a badass bounty hunter was on the trail for a potential son of Vader due to Palapatine’s sense of a potential child. He was pretty close to Padme, you know. It could be assumed he knew she was pregnant through this senses or through rumors.

See that, I just made the movie necessary to plot with my own made up idea.
  • DarthJ
    6139 posts Member

The comics also have Kenobi fight A'Sharad Hett/Darth Krayt, which would be thoroughly entertaining as a lightsaber battle. They could also have Kenobi fight Maul towards the end of the movie like in Rebels. Those would both be very entertaining along woto h what you mentioned as plot lines.

Why does it matter if the setting of the movie is only on Tattoine? It’s a big enough planet with many towns, and so many movies have have been set on the planet at least temporarily, which makes it popular. He could actually fight stormtroopers covertly using his Jedi skills wearing a disguise or even just a hooded robe without a lightsaber.

Also: RO was only necessary because the director made up that plot. Episode 4 existed for many years and we all just assumed that they had the Death Star plans but not exactly how they got them.

It was necessary for Luke to be kept secret and protected. Maybe a badass bounty hunter was on the trail for a potential son of Vader due to Palapatine’s sense of a potential child. He was pretty close to Padme, you know. It could be assumed he knew she was pregnant through this senses or through rumors.

The A'Sharad Hett stuff isnt canon anymore though. It would make regular film goers confused to see him out of nowhere. The new comics have him doing smaller time stuff that I mentioned on Tatooine. Would Maul and Kenobi fighting not make the canon confusing with regards to Rebels? I havent watched Rebels fully, so apologies if I am not up to speed on that. But I thought when Maul finally dies to him, thats the first time they have met since the TCW era? If they met again, it would confuse things with Rebels.

I do like the Tatooine point, and admittedly I could be wrong. I thought Solo an unnecessary film, but I really enjoyed it. And thats a good point about RO.

Potential point about Padme, its assumed Palpatine thinks they died alongside Padme? Although he did know by V that Luke was Anakins child, but not covered how he knew. The comics cover how Vader found out Luke was his son (via Boba hunting fot the Death Star pilot) and Vader assumes Palpatine knew since Palps lied about Padme being killed by Vader. Although its not said Palpatine knows. So yeah it could cover that.

I would hope it would surprise me but at the moment I would still see it as unnecessary. Even though I love Obi-Wan and Tatooine is my favourite planet.

PSN: ibrajoker59
  • bfloo
    14457 posts Member

The A'Sharad Hett stuff isnt canon anymore though. It would make regular film goers confused to see him out of nowhere. The new comics have him doing smaller time stuff that I mentioned on Tatooine. Would Maul and Kenobi fighting not make the canon confusing with regards to Rebels? I havent watched Rebels fully, so apologies if I am not up to speed on that. But I thought when Maul finally dies to him, thats the first time they have met since the TCW era? If they met again, it would confuse things with Rebels.

I do like the Tatooine point, and admittedly I could be wrong. I thought Solo an unnecessary film, but I really enjoyed it. And thats a good point about RO.

Potential point about Padme, its assumed Palpatine thinks they died alongside Padme? Although he did know by V that Luke was Anakins child, but not covered how he knew. The comics cover how Vader found out Luke was his son (via Boba hunting fot the Death Star pilot) and Vader assumes Palpatine knew since Palps lied about Padme being killed by Vader. Although its not said Palpatine knows. So yeah it could cover that.

I would hope it would surprise me but at the moment I would still see it as unnecessary. Even though I love Obi-Wan and Tatooine is my favourite planet.

If Obi Wan was causing a ruckus on Tatooine, and the Empire even heard a rumor of a Jedi being there the Empire would have established a presence there.

h846398gb27k.png

• DarthJ wrote: »

I was just thinking they could essentially redo/expand the fight Maul and Kenobi had on Rebels for the larger movie audience. I haven’t even seen much of Rebels either. Maybe if Solo did better, they would be way more tempted to do that. The non-canon like A'Sharad Hett could always be inspiration for them to make a similar plot/character.

Either way, the most likely plot to me would be random Tusken Raider or Hutt happenings on Tatooine along with the Empire covertly hunting potential offspring of Vader with special forces or bounty hunters. Maul figured out Kenobi was protecting someone important right before he died too.

Anyway, I hope it happens like you. Maybe the director/writer of Rogue One should get involved.

• Debunked by Lucasfilm themselves.
  • JAREDUP
    1474 posts Member
    edited June 2018

The big thing to remember here is that all this is opinionated. Those who like the PT don’t happen to like “horrendous” films. To you their horrendous but to others their great movies. Same with the ST. You like the ST? Great. Personally I think the ST is horrendous but I’m not telling people they like horrendous films.

Anyway, I don’t think TLJ alone hurt Solo. There was just very little excitement about the movie from the start.

-removed-.
    {MOD EDIT: let's keep things on topic please.
    Thanks }
    Post edited by F03hammer on
    For the Greater Good

9k2nxbv51kuu.gif
  • Kenobi_Dude
    1485 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    JAREDUP wrote: »

-removed-.
    {MOD EDIT: let's keep things on topic please.
    Thanks }
    Post edited by F03hammer on
  • valeri0706 wrote: »
    Debunked by Lucasfilm themselves.

True... Still I think they “debunked” the story for PR/businesses purposes leaving some truth to it.