criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
August Community Calendar
Battle Point Event Heroes Unleashed

Sounds Like Those Ep9 Rumours Were True (spoilers)

Dannyboi82
427 posts Member
edited June 2018
For any of you that have heard the god awful Ep9 rumours read on, if not exit now and don't come back.

Still here?

So that Rey having a love child thing, seems a casting call leak has been sent out for a 4yr old kid. About the amount they want to have passed between the movies well,
I am one for lobbying that I liked ep8 but even I can't accept the train wreck of ideas the 9th has in stall for us and how they'll do the Leia save Rey from kylo thing with no Carrie Fisher I don't know.
If it is true and does go through the way we of spoilers have read then even I give up defending these new films....

Replies

• Something tells me that there is more to the child than Rey just having a kid in the movie.

First: who would the father be? The only men she has become close to in the movies are Finn and Kylo - neither of which have been intimate with her. Also the casting leak says "A white male toddler aged 4 has been cast for Episode 9". So Finn can't be the father. Kylo COULD be, in theory, if he somehow force-impregnated her (which would be the single most horrifying ability in all of Star Wars), or Snoke... but somehow I doubt it. Disney movie... no force impregnations. It would be terrible.

Second: How could the plot be the Star Wars action we love with a 4 year old child in the way? While there HAS been a plot leak that Rey will have a child... its unconfirmed, but assuming its true; I think it would be more fitting as an ending than a major plot point in the movie. I hope Rey has a happy ending, personally :) But I can't necessarily see a child already existing at the start of the movie. Most of the time, children harm narratives - they can't protect themselves, so the story is liable to go into a 'save my kid from the bad guys' plot, and you can't really explore more serious themes with a child being present; because theyre, by nature, childish. I might be wrong, but I don't think Rey will be a mom at the start of episode 9 - it just wouldn't fit with the story arc. She might discover that she's pregnant during the movie and then the ending will show her with a child, but I think the story will be more likely to move in that direction than anything else :)
    "The question," she replied, "Is not whether you will love, hurt, dream, and die. It is what you will love, why you will hurt, when you will dream, and how you will die. This is your choice. You cannot pick the destination, only the path." - Oathbringer.
  • More likely they will just have kids that will become the new Jedi. I say the new title will be Star Wars: A New Order. That would be a play on the original A New Hope.
    GT (Xbox, PS4, PC): xxRustyRelicxx
  • moondynemc
    1979 posts Member
    Could just be some kid that’s to potentially be trained as a Jedi, like a new version of Anakin.
  • bfloo
    15509 posts Member
    LaurenXIV wrote: »
    Kylo COULD be, in theory, if he somehow force-impregnated her...

That would be a nice ability for Kylo on the game, force impregnate the enemies.

It worked in rebelz :(
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Warrior
    298 posts Member

That would be a nice ability for Kylo on the game, force impregnate the enemies.

I'm just picturing this terrible Star Wars/Alien crossover in Battlefront where people Kylo makes Aliens burst out of peoples chest. It would make video game history.
    I had a dream, that one day on the sweet hills of Georgia, everybody will be able to play the Star Wars game they've always wanted.
  • Spiito
    1846 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Something tells me that there is more to the child than Rey just having a kid in the movie.

First: who would the father be? The only men she has become close to in the movies are Finn and Kylo - neither of which have been intimate with her. Also the casting leak says "A white male toddler aged 4 has been cast for Episode 9". So Finn can't be the father. Kylo COULD be, in theory, if he somehow force-impregnated her (which would be the single most horrifying ability in all of Star Wars), or Snoke... but somehow I doubt it. Disney movie... no force impregnations. It would be terrible.

Second: How could the plot be the Star Wars action we love with a 4 year old child in the way? While there HAS been a plot leak that Rey will have a child... its unconfirmed, but assuming its true; I think it would be more fitting as an ending than a major plot point in the movie. I hope Rey has a happy ending, personally :) But I can't necessarily see a child already existing at the start of the movie. Most of the time, children harm narratives - they can't protect themselves, so the story is liable to go into a 'save my kid from the bad guys' plot, and you can't really explore more serious themes with a child being present; because theyre, by nature, childish. I might be wrong, but I don't think Rey will be a mom at the start of episode 9 - it just wouldn't fit with the story arc. She might discover that she's pregnant during the movie and then the ending will show her with a child, but I think the story will be more likely to move in that direction than anything else :)
    tumblr_n2nnjphFVd1rsrbdko7_r1_250.gif
    The father could simply be Midichlorians. It's happened before. Kylo's great-grandfather is Midichlorians. c;
    Plus, it's nothing new for a Force sensitve child to be in a Star Wars movie. Kid-Anakin actually ended up saving more people than the number of times he was in need of rescue. (As a side note, lil' Boba wasn't constantly in need of rescue either.) Your line of logic, "the story is liable to go into a 'save my kid from the bad guys' plot," is similar to saying women harm narratives in films because "they're weak and constantly need to be rescued..."
    Just sayin'.
    "A fair fight is where everyone loses."
  • DarthJ
    6534 posts Member
    flcnrelic wrote: »
    More likely they will just have kids that will become the new Jedi. I say the new title will be Star Wars: A New Order. That would be a play on the original A New Hope.

I hope its this. Pregnant Rey suggests the Rey-Kylo rumours are true though....
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • s6tmhh4feyod.png
    i want to throw up

Hopefully it's baby Kylo or an extra for the next generation of Jedi or something

Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • Oh they'll run the franchise into the ground, in style
  • grimmace2
    1146 posts Member
    Spiito wrote: »
    Something tells me that there is more to the child than Rey just having a kid in the movie.

The father could simply be Midichlorians. It's happened before. Kylo's great-grandfather is Midichlorians. c;
    Plus, it's nothing new for a Force sensitve child to be in a Star Wars movie. Kid-Anakin actually ended up saving more people than the number of times he was in need of rescue. (As a side note, lil' Boba wasn't constantly in need of rescue either.) Your line of logic, "the story is liable to go into a 'save my kid from the bad guys' plot," is similar to saying women harm narratives in films because "they're weak and constantly need to be rescued..."
    Just sayin'.

Wasn't Anakin the result of Plagueis attempting to create life? They could suggest Kylo found one of Plagueis' holocrons and started playing around with the info, not really knowing what he was doing. BOOM! Preggers Rey. That storyline would suck and I would hate myself for watching it. But I would watch it.
  • LaurenXIV wrote: »

Haha :D
    Warrior wrote: »

I'm just picturing this terrible Star Wars/Alien crossover in Battlefront where people Kylo makes Aliens burst out of peoples chest. It would make video game history.

They would need to be wearing little Kylo masks :P

Imagine it in first person *shudders*

Just sayin'.

If it's happened before, it's unlikely to happen again. I personally dont think they will go down that route, it will remind people of the prequels :P

Anakin in Episode 1 was... annoying. Not the best example :P

It's actually a challenge for me to think of an important child role in cinema that isn't annoying or is in need of rescue/having a child-centered plot. Just saying, but there's a reason why sci-fi/fantasy media usually has either a character discovering theyre pregnant/giving birth or a parent having a grown up/teenage/independent child. Just better narratively :)

Also, with women its a little different :P Women aren't weak (though they are slightly physically weaker than men on average). Many female characters need to be rescued because of, well... sexism, and movies catering to power fantasies etc. In more recent times, people are actually starting to realize that women dont like to be portrayed as helpless and there are movies with badass female leads :) So I agree, women needing to be constantly rescued harms the narrative in many ways, but that isnt an inherent issue with women... just writers, producers, directors etc. Children are inherently dependant on adults for help, unless they're at a reasonably independent age - which 4 kinda isnt :P
    "The question," she replied, "Is not whether you will love, hurt, dream, and die. It is what you will love, why you will hurt, when you will dream, and how you will die. This is your choice. You cannot pick the destination, only the path." - Oathbringer.
  • grimmace2 wrote: »

Just sayin'.

Wasn't Anakin the result of Plagueis attempting to create life? They could suggest Kylo found one of Plagueis' holocrons and started playing around with the info, not really knowing what he was doing. BOOM! Preggers Rey. That storyline would suck and I would hate myself for watching it. But I would watch it.

Close. Anakin was a result of Plagueis and Sideous attempting to manipulate midichlorians when they saturated the galaxy with the dark side, trying to take control of them, but ultimately failing. In the end, midichlorians, or really the Force, acted of it's own accord to create Anakin Skywalker as a response to Sideous and Plagueis, a champion of the light to meet the dark.

I have a feeling they could easily play this trope here, if they wanted, and there would be no need to talk of a Father. It could simply be the Force acting of its own will to once again save the galaxy from darkness.
  • 4 years old is a lot younger too, not a great acting age for most people, like I some have said I'm hoping it's a jedi trainee or something, making Rey preggers by someone or something random other than kylo is just wrong, as would him getting angry over it and nearly killing her too.
    It's just bad whatever way they try this in my eyes
  • Dannyboi82 wrote: »
    4 years old is a lot younger too, not a great acting age for most people, like I some have said I'm hoping it's a jedi trainee or something, making Rey preggers by someone or something random other than kylo is just wrong, as would him getting angry over it and nearly killing her too.
    It's just bad whatever way they try this in my eyes

How would it be bad, though? If they've already done the Force acting on its own once, why couldn't it have done it again with Rey? That way you can avoid any mention of relationships.
  • Relikk
    236 posts Member
    sCr0llx wrote: »
    my hope is that this child is Ben Solo in a flashback

This.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    du2UASv.gif
  • Hopefully it's only a minor role.
    Children have ruined many a movie when they were given too much role in the film...

• Spiito
    1846 posts Member

Just sayin'.

If it's happened before, it's unlikely to happen again. I personally dont think they will go down that route, it will remind people of the prequels :P

It's actually a challenge for me to think of an important child role in cinema that isn't annoying or is in need of rescue/having a child-centered plot. Just saying, but there's a reason why sci-fi/fantasy media usually has either a character discovering theyre pregnant/giving birth or a parent having a grown up/teenage/independent child. Just better narratively :)

Also, with women its a little different :P Women aren't weak (though they are slightly physically weaker than men on average). Many female characters need to be rescued because of, well... sexism, and movies catering to power fantasies etc. In more recent times, people are actually starting to realize that women dont like to be portrayed as helpless and there are movies with badass female leads :) So I agree, women needing to be constantly rescued harms the narrative in many ways, but that isnt an inherent issue with women... just writers, producers, directors etc. Children are inherently dependant on adults for help, unless they're at a reasonably independent age - which 4 kinda isnt :P

How you view a character is subjective. I didn't find Anakin annoying (and during clone Wars, I didn't find Ahsoka annoying either.) With the way you've worded your sentence, no number of movies I could list would be good examples for you, because your perspective could make any them obsolete if you don't like the character in question. :/ For the sake of curiosity, and not to waste my proverbial breath, I will list one which I doubt you've even seen; Home Alone.

A lot of men are sexist, it's true. How many people regardless of their sex/gender are ageist? From my point of view, many are.
    dYo6veK.gif

Lastly, Star Wars is Sci-fi. 4 happens to be a significant number in reference to the Force. ;p Maybe it's a special magical number where Force sensitive characters the most aligned with it. It's no new or foreign concept to include child-soldiers in Star Wars. (Side note, alien juveniles may be more capable than standard humanoid children. Maybe Rey found love outside of her species in the meantime. ) A powerful force sensitive child, regardless of age, is a potential danger to others. (Like mutant kids...) Sure, they might need some protection, but ultimately, *anyone* of any gender or age needs protection if they face a threat far greater than themselves.
  • univurshul
    1667 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    IDK...but it's JJ so you likely wasted 10+ minutes posting on something that will probably be a rouse... JJ, so far..has created the 2nd best STAR WARS movie since Empire Strikes Back. The only other visionary to best him in the Disney era is John Knoll and Gareth Edwards. ...JJ wants to beat Rogue One (via cool factor) whilst whiplashing TLJ. My $.02 ...

29i8542u8rtp.jpg
    Let's all remember that Luke's hand didn't clank to the stone when he vanished....Everything organic disappears as a force ghost. The in-organic stays...

• If she has a kid it's probably at the "happy ending" with the first order defeated and Rey living a peaceful family life or something.
  • I hope it's Rey and Kylo's baby.
    "Dude, don't call us plucky, we don't know what it means."
    Devoted worshipper of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif
  • Elusive_DJ
    3141 posts Member
    They already butchered & destroyed Luke Skywalker in TLJ, so I honestly could care less what they do next.
    Nothing they do for episode 9 could possibly even interest me in the slightest.
    ⦗ XBOX GT: EIusive DJ⦘~ "The Knights of Gareth are eternal..." ✔
    \⧹If you happen to have ANY ideas for any hero you desire to have in Battlefront 2, Let me know in a DM!⧸/
    How to make Every Hero Viable in Battlefront 2

aakkhwbkosde.gif

• Maybe it's the kid with the broom at the end of TLJ, and she had him pre-Force Awakens, and got separated.

Who/what is the source of this casting call information?
  • Elusive_DJ wrote: »
    They already butchered & destroyed Luke Skywalker in TLJ, so I honestly could care less what they do next.

You could care less hey? Well that implies you still care, if you couldn't care less then I'd understand that you were totally done caring :p .
    As for the kid at the end of TLJ he was older than 4, sources were UK news papers but they got it off the internet I'm sure you could find it if you looked.
  • Techkiddz wrote: »
    If she has a kid it's probably at the "happy ending" with the first order defeated and Rey living a peaceful family life or something.

...and then they'll have the Second Order pop up so they can have another trilogy.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • TheScape
    2236 posts Member
    Ciena_Ree wrote: »
    grimmace2 wrote: »

Just sayin'.

Close. Anakin was a result of Plagueis and Sideous attempting to manipulate midichlorians when they saturated the galaxy with the dark side, trying to take control of them, but ultimately failing. In the end, midichlorians, or really the Force, acted of it's own accord to create Anakin Skywalker as a response to Sideous and Plagueis, a champion of the light to meet the dark.

I have a feeling they could easily play this trope here, if they wanted, and there would be no need to talk of a Father. It could simply be the Force acting of its own will to once again save the galaxy from darkness.

Is this part of the current canon or legends? Because if it's the latter it should have no effect on episode IX.
    May your heart be your guiding key.
  • Techkiddz wrote: »
    If she has a kid it's probably at the "happy ending" with the first order defeated and Rey living a peaceful family life or something.

...and then they'll have the Second Order pop up so they can have another trilogy.

And then Rose's daughter is now the most powerful jedi ever or something
  • bfloo wrote: »

It worked in rebelz :(

And the Phantom Menace. Could be that she just has a child, like Shmi Skywalker.
    TheScape wrote: »
    Ciena_Ree wrote: »
    grimmace2 wrote: »

Just sayin'.

Is this part of the current canon or legends? Because if it's the latter it should have no effect on episode IX.

It is not canon. That story was placed in legends, along with almost all of the other stories.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • EA_Cian
    1225 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Hey folks, let's keep the posts appropriate and focused on the rumors, not politics, etc. Thank you!
  • Spiito wrote: »

Just sayin'.

How you view a character is subjective. I didn't find Anakin annoying (and during clone Wars, I didn't find Ahsoka annoying either.) With the way you've worded your sentence, no number of movies I could list would be good examples for you, because your perspective could make any them obsolete if you don't like the character in question. :/ For the sake of curiosity, and not to waste my proverbial breath, I will list one which I doubt you've even seen; Home Alone.

A lot of men are sexist, it's true. How many people regardless of their sex/gender are ageist? From my point of view, many are.
    dYo6veK.gif

Lastly, Star Wars is Sci-fi. 4 happens to be a significant number in reference to the Force. ;p Maybe it's a special magical number where Force sensitive characters the most aligned with it. It's no new or foreign concept to include child-soldiers in Star Wars. (Side note, alien juveniles may be more capable than standard humanoid children. Maybe Rey found love outside of her species in the meantime. ) A powerful force sensitive child, regardless of age, is a potential danger to others. (Like mutant kids...) Sure, they might need some protection, but ultimately, *anyone* of any gender or age needs protection if they face a threat far greater than themselves.

Ive seen all of the Home Alone movies, and... well, yes, its kinda annoying :P

I have nothing against kids, not at all - I love them :) As a part of my job, I have to read stories to a group of kids on a Thursday and I enjoy it so much :)

But that doesn't necessarily mean I think they make for good characters in fiction. And it isn't ALL children, theres just like a boundary where, imo, child characters should be avoided.

A baby can be a good source of character motivation, and their total lack of independence means that they are unlikely to do much but add to a family dynamic that a film might implement.

A teenager has a good amount of independence and common sense (mostly, anyway). They can play a pivotal role in a movie, and in the case of something like Star Wars or anything action-orientated they are likely to have a reasonable amount of competency (given their parentage) so can add constructively to a plot and more serious scenes.

Between babies and teenagers, though, there are ages where characters in a movie are often created to appeal to younger audiences, so will have an over-inflated role in the story. As a result, the story will have a less serious, more childish tone. With movies featuring violence, war, crime, etc the children characters will struggle to effectively contribute to many of the scenes and the plot overall, so often display... unrealistic characteristics. This can manifest itself in having increased intelligence, strong abilities (whatever the abilities of the universe are) or having a very convenient, obsessive interest in whatever subject the movie is about - all of these score points with the young audience who often have dreams of participating in something like the Star Wars universe, but give movies a very goofy, unrealistic vibe that can have a negative effect on the plot overall. The alternative to this is having a child play a more realistic role, but again - their nature as being dependant, relatively unintelligent, physically weak, etc, doesn't mix well with themes and plot elements of action-orientated movies, and it narrows their role, and the plot, down through very predictable, clichéd channels - such as child getting lost, child being kidnapped, child being in some kind of mortal danger and needing rescue, etc - and you know that nothing bad will ever happen to a child in a Star Wars movie. I just think that its UNLIKELY that Rey's child will be a major part of Episode 9. And if they are, I feel it will harm the narrative.
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    Elusive_DJ wrote: »

I feel the exact same way @Elusive_DJ
  • Spiito
    1846 posts Member
    Ive seen all of the Home Alone movies, and... well, yes, its kinda annoying :P

But that doesn't necessarily mean I think they make for good characters in fiction. And it isn't ALL women, there's just like a boundary where, imo, females characters should be avoided.
    ^Rerwitten. To mimic, mirror, and reflect. Consider another perspective.
    It's said that females have strong maternal instincts. Your emotions and your job don't make you less [blank.]
    so will have an over-inflated role in the story.

Characters will struggle to effectively contribute to many of the scenes and the plot overall, so often display... unrealistic characteristics. This can manifest itself in having increased intelligence, strong abilities (whatever the abilities of the universe are) or having a very convenient, obsessive interest in whatever subject the movie is about
    source.gif
    Fiction tends to lean heavily into unrealistics.
    their nature as being dependent, relatively unintelligent, physically weak, etc, doesn't mix well with themes and plot elements of action-orientated movies,
    mHfGtY9.gif
    such as child getting lost, child being kidnapped, child being in some kind of mortal danger and needing rescue, etc.
    ...Because no one in Star Wars ever gets lost while being an adult. And Padme certainly never got kidnapped MULTIPLE times. Leia never got captured and enslaved by Jabba. And Han solo totally didn't need a whole rescue effort revolving around his frozen ****. /Sarcasm
    and you know that nothing bad will ever happen to a child in a Star Wars movie.

Maybe you missed the part when the Jedi were basically kidnappers and formed an army of brainwashed, religious cultist, child soldiers for their war.
    But yeah, sure; nothing bad could ever possibly happen to a child character in Star Wars. It's not like any of them have ever been sold off into slavery or abandoned. /Sarcasm

Ehh... Oh... look... The Bat-Signal. I must go.
    l1cHwWp.gif
  • It's funny. Usually when I am interested in a movie I don't want to know anything about it. Even the smallest, seemingly insignificant details can ruin a movie for me because I am, unfortunately, rather good at predicting what will happen. Thus when it does happen the effect intended by the creators is lost on me.

But after TLJ and Soylo I just don't care anymore. MaREY-Sue having a kid is yet another dumb idea, if true. Who would be the father? Only person she has the slightest romantic connection with is Kylo Ren. The Force creating a kid has been done before, if they did that then I would assume that Episode IX is a copy of Episode I.

(meh)
    Failed to connect to EA Online.
  • rollind24
    5664 posts Member
    in theory, if he somehow force-impregnated her (which would be the single most horrifying ability in all of Star Wars), or Snoke... but somehow I doubt it. Disney movie... no force impregnations. It would be terrible.

And this is enough internet for me today hahahah! Traumatizing lol
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • EA_Cian
    1225 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Hey folks,

I'm just going to ask once more to keep the discussion focused on the rumors and not other issues such as gender roles, politics, etc. I will have to close the thread if this chatter continues as these are not appropriate discussions for the forums.
  • Seems Carrie Fishers brother wants her to be in part 9 too, now Disney did say out of respect they wouldn't CGI her, but if Tom is it? Says he's fine and signs off against it they may well go with that, how do you feel about that?
    Also who knows if it wasn't the other way around and Disney threw money at him because they didn't know how go change the story enough, meaning it could still go the way of Rey baby, kylo angry Leia savey!