criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Saber combat changes in next patch- F8RGE

Source

If the block mechanic were better, it would be more like this:

Striking into block shouldn’t stagger you imo

n2kmzkumosck.gif

Timing the block perfectly (small window) could cause a stagger.

That way there’d be free flowing combat.

Adjusting stamina is important in this regard too- Maybe holding block could drain stamina, getting the block hit 2-3 will drain all stamina and break block.

We could go further and add a block break mechanic in these 2 ways too:

1. Heavy strike/blast- using the empty Δ/Y input we can have heavy attacks to break block. Some examples:

Han Solo- Lucky shot like BF2015
Boba Fett- Flamethrower like BF2015
Luke Skywalker- Heavy strike
Darth Vader- like Rogue One

2. Saber attack directionality:

Stab (straight strike)- strike while stationary
Hack (vertical strike)- strike while moving forward or backward
Slash (horizontal strike)- strike while moving left or right

Then 2-3 slashes could open the block to a hack or stab and vice versa.

MVW9.gif

hnytpwosbe30.png
∆^∆

Replies

• Wouldn't be opposed to jump attack block breaking and saber clashes returning.
    hnytpwosbe30.png
    ∆^∆
  • Sounds like people actually want there to be MORE swing spam. I like block stagger because most of the people I fight aren't smart enough to figure out how it works.
    moenr1cb9t4w.jpg
  • And info about it will be in today's Community transmision.
    Hope there's good info about the planned reworked lightsaber combat mechanic.
    ''The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel he understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if he had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the Dark Lord out of necessity to prevent a greater evil''
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

• Sounds like people actually want there to be MORE swing spam. I like block stagger because most of the people I fight aren't smart enough to figure out how it works.

In regards to me, no I don't like spam in either direction. I want balance.
    There should be more stamina drain for attacks.
    If the lunges were animated better and were less linear it would be even better.
    And info about it will be in today's Community transmision.
    Anything is good at this point but I F8RGE specifically referenced stamina changes.
    I hope heavy attacks are included as well. I read earlier that this was finished already or something but it wasn't included.
    hnytpwosbe30.png
    ∆^∆

If the lunges were animated better and were less linear it would be even better.
    Anything is good at this point but I F8RGE specifically referenced stamina changes.
    I hope heavy attacks are included as well. I read earlier that this was finished already or something but it wasn't included.

I thought he said combat will be reworked. A simple stamina change won't change a thing.
    Or they are doing it in stages. First stage stamina management, second stage blocking etc...
    ''The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel he understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if he had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the Dark Lord out of necessity to prevent a greater evil''
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

• TheScape
    1587 posts Member
    Sounds like people actually want there to be MORE swing spam. I like block stagger because most of the people I fight aren't smart enough to figure out how it works.

I thought he said combat will be reworked. A simple stamina change won't change a thing.
    Or they are doing it in stages. First stage stamina management, second stage blocking etc...

All he said in reddit is stamina changes and heroes having different attributes. Anyways, the changes should be detailed on today's Transmission so it's just a matter of hours until we know for sure.
    May your heart be your guiding key.
  • Agherosh
    1092 posts Member
    In my opinion lightsaber combat should get a full rework, not slight changes.
    #TipleeTiplarForBF2
  • TheScape wrote: »
    Sounds like people actually want there to be MORE swing spam. I like block stagger because most of the people I fight aren't smart enough to figure out how it works.

All he said in reddit is stamina changes and heroes having different attributes. Anyways, the changes should be detailed on today's Transmission so it's just a matter of hours until we know for sure.

Wait, did he really say heroes would have "different attributes"?

Interesting...
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • I thought he said combat will be reworked. A simple stamina change won't change a thing.

Here is the original comment thread

Combat is being reworked but so far it seems to be mainly stamina adjustments to make block break easier or such.

I don't know if they are doing it in stages, but I would imagine they would at least eventually come around to adding heavy attacks which apparently have been ready for a while.

There are many ways to fix the saber combat. I hope whatever is done is fun in the meantime.

hnytpwosbe30.png
    ∆^∆
  • I thought he said combat will be reworked. A simple stamina change won't change a thing.

Combat is being reworked but so far it seems to be mainly stamina adjustments to make block break easier or such.

I don't know if they are doing it in stages, but I would imagine they would at least eventually come around to adding heavy attacks which apparently have been ready for a while.

There are many ways to fix the saber combat. I hope whatever is done is fun in the meantime.

Or it gets more broke. We shall see, though.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames

That is certainly a possibility. It has happened before.

They did recover eventually with the progression update and now here we are with Obi Wan, Anakin, Dooku, Grevious, saber combat improvements, etc being added.

It's getting better, but there will be some more ups and downs before it settles down once the patch cycle ends.
    hnytpwosbe30.png
    ∆^∆

That is certainly a possibility. It has happened before.

They did recover eventually with the progression update and now here we are with Obi Wan, Anakin, Dooku, Grevious, saber combat improvements, etc being added.

It's getting better, but there will be some more ups and downs before it settles down once the patch cycle ends.

True. Lol, watch as getting blocked makes you go into a permanent stagger, where you endlessly shuffle backwards until you die. And you can fall off the map, and even after you respawn, you are still stuck in the indefinite stagger state.

• TheScape
    1587 posts Member
    TheScape wrote: »

Interesting...

x7d1kspqj2lm.png

These are his exact words. I had the same reaction when I saw that.

PS: For some reason my comment needed approval but it was then back here as a draft?
  • TheScape wrote: »

Interesting...

x7d1kspqj2lm.png

PS: For some reason my comment needed approval but it was then back here as a draft?

Hhmmmm, yessssssss. Interesting, indeed. Maybe they will lightly implement their saber styles, such as Obi Wan having less stamina drain on blocks/better blocks over the rest of the cast, Anakin could have strong counter attacks, Dooku could have weaker but stamina efficient strikes that deal heavy stamina damage to the enemy, etc?

• Yes, but Δ/Y is for the lightsaber ignition
  • TheScape
    1587 posts Member
    Yes, but Δ/Y is for the lightsaber ignition

I actually forgot this was also coming with next update!
  • TheScape
    1587 posts Member

Interesting...

x7d1kspqj2lm.png

This is the reddit thread: https://old.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/8uiaf7/lightsaber_combat_is_a_cluster_fuck/

(only for the title and the OP's rant it's already worth a read).
  • Yes, but Δ/Y is for the lightsaber ignition

That can be on the d pad
    hnytpwosbe30.png
    ∆^∆

Sounds like you assume a lot...
    I no longer use this account or anything Battlefront related as of 08/07/2018.

Sounds like you assume a lot...

Sounds like I have a new best friend.
    moenr1cb9t4w.jpg