criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

Palpatine, Hotfix & More

Replies

• The thing is some of the problems have come about because of changes to things no one asked for. example, I don't recall anyone asking for a nerf on any of the Millenium Falcon's for Star Fighter modes, but we got it. That has also lead to a skill point spent on unlocking one of Lando's Star Cards (namely Engine Upgrade), which was bugged since launnch because you could not upgrade it past common level, disappreaing and the card now showing as never having been unlocked post patch.
    It is stuff like this I DO blame the devleopers and no one else for as no had asked for any changes to the Falcon, let alone to the magnitude they've been changed.
    51bvn954fmlp.png
  • xmasterful
    619 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    The thing is some of the problems have come about because of changes to things no one asked for. example, I don't recall anyone asking for a nerf on any of the Millenium Falcon's for Star Fighter modes, but we got it. That has also lead to a skill point spent on unlocking one of Lando's Star Cards (namely Engine Upgrade), which was bugged since launnch because you could not upgrade it past common level, disappreaing and the card now showing as never having been unlocked post patch.
    It is stuff like this I DO blame the devleopers and no one else for as no had asked for any changes to the Falcon, let alone to the magnitude they've been changed.

But people have asked for certain things to be nerfed or looked at quite often. This leads the devs to believe that the community is open to significant changes, which is what has been the case.
    cucjqd5p8g4i.gif
    Remember the most powerful walk the line between rage and serenity.
  • The_Rookie
    3870 posts Member
    xmasterful wrote: »

Palpatine was fine before the patch and frankly after the patch was also fine in HvV as I was getting the same scores after the patch as before the patch so hardly noticed much of a significant difference tbh (I can't speak for GA since I don't play that mode).
    Palpatine was bugged and extremely overpowered in HvV before the patch. As I correctly predicted, he became bugged and insanely overpowered after the patch.

Something absolutely had to be done. No character should be that much better than all the rest. No character should be able to randomly stun multiple enemies around the map, several times in succession.
    21 years in the making... the wait is over. Buy RESIDENT EVIL 2 now!
    headerjpgt1547513853
  • lerodemmy wrote: »

Palpatine was fine before the patch and frankly after the patch was also fine in HvV as I was getting the same scores after the patch as before the patch so hardly noticed much of a significant difference tbh (I can't speak for GA since I don't play that mode).
    Palpatine was bugged and extremely overpowered in HvV before the patch. As I correctly predicted, he became bugged and insanely overpowered after the patch.

Something absolutely had to be done. No character should be that much better than all the rest. No character should be able to randomly stun multiple enemies around the map, several times in succession.

You mean like this

y8fnl9opcse6.gif
    ''The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel he understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if he had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the Dark Lord out of necessity to prevent a greater evil''
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

• xmasterful
    619 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    lerodemmy wrote: »

Elaborate specifically about how he was any more bugged and overpowered than rey please do tell.
    Also, if he was so insanely overpowered then how come I rarely ever saw palps at the top of the leaderboard after matches?
    cucjqd5p8g4i.gif
  • The_Rookie
    3870 posts Member
    edited July 2018

Elaborate specifically about how he was any more bugged and overpowered than rey please do tell.
    Also, if he was so insanely overpowered then how come I rarely ever saw palps at the top of the leaderboard after matches?
    What does REY have to do with it? She had one major bug that they fixed relatively quickly. It was not nearly as effective or game-changing as Palpatine in general has been throughout the majority of the game's lifespan. How can you even compare the two? Palpatine absolutely annihilates lightsaber heroes.

I don't know. No one in my group had any trouble getting to the top with him, and the scores were much bigger after the patch.
    headerjpgt1547513853
  • xmasterful wrote: »

He instantly drains your stamina, instantly regenerates it, has 180 degrees angle autoaim, can shoot through walls (again).
    Rey had a bug that could only be activated in certain situations.
    And if you rarely saw Palpatine at the top of the leaderboard then I guess they were scrubs with him.
    ''The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel he understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if he had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the Dark Lord out of necessity to prevent a greater evil''
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

• The_Rookie
    3870 posts Member

He instantly drains your stamina, instantly regenerates it, has 180 degrees angle autoaim, can shoot through walls (again).
    Rey had a bug that could only be activated in certain situations.
    And if you rarely saw Palpatine at the top of the leaderboard then I guess they were scrubs with him.

Yeah, pretty much. And REY can't stun an entire team four times in 10 seconds from across the map.
    headerjpgt1547513853

What does REY have to do with it? She had one major bug that they fixed relatively quickly. It was not nearly as effective or game-changing as Palpatine in general has been throughout the majority of the game's lifespan. How can you even compare the two? Palpatine absolutely annihilates lightsaber heroes.

I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with the people you play with and against? I know that everyone in my group always got to the top with him easily, and the scores were much bigger after the patch.

The point is very few people even used Palps in HvV and even fewer knew how to use him to his potential which you claim is insanely overpowered. That same thing can be argued for Rey and plenty of other characters.

What? Is the fact that he is unique upset you? Since he fundamentally is different than the two shoeboxes of blaster heroes and saber heroes? This instantly gives him a fundamental "perceived" advantage? That's what it appears like to me. So you're theory is to outlaw the one black sheep of the family/roster yes? Outlaw or make him into a useless egg? While golden girl rey runs around with her wallhack and infinite stamina pool to boot with her fast chaining incredibly high damaging saber attacks?
    Frankly I rack up kills much more easily and effortlessly with Rey than any other hero/villain in the game and that has been the case since I picked up the game.
    Palps was just fine before this particular update, he was as weak as he ever was and I hardly ever saw people use him let alone in the chronically game-usurping method that you are insinuating. Looks like lots of smoke and mirrors being tossed around.
    cucjqd5p8g4i.gif
  • The_Rookie
    3870 posts Member

I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with the people you play with and against? I know that everyone in my group always got to the top with him easily, and the scores were much bigger after the patch.

The point is very few people even used Palps in HvV and even fewer knew how to use him to his potential which you claim is insanely overpowered. That same thing can be argued for Rey and plenty of other characters.

What? Is the fact that he is unique upset you? Since he fundamentally is different than the two shoeboxes of blaster heroes and saber heroes? This instantly gives him a fundamental "perceived" advantage? That's what it appears like to me. So you're theory is to outlaw the one black sheep of the family/roster yes? Outlaw or make him into a useless egg? While golden girl rey runs around with her wallhack and infinite stamina pool to boot with her fast chaining incredibly high damaging saber attacks?
    Frankly I rack up kills much more easily and effortlessly with Rey than any other hero/villain in the game and that has been the case since I picked up the game.
    Palps was just fine before this particular update, he was as weak as he ever was and I hardly ever saw people use him let alone in the chronically game-usurping method that you are insinuating. Looks like lots of smoke and mirrors being tossed around.
    He was actually really strong before this update.

What gives him an advantage are his stunning, staggering, slowing, damaging abilities. His speed, elusiveness and survivability are advantages. His ability to stagger any hero with each use of his basic attack is an advantage.

Very few people used him in HvV? Since when? The only time he wasn't great was when his Chain Lighting wasn't working correctly. Otherwise, he's always been the easiest-to-use hero in the game.

Got any REY gameplay footage I may view?
    headerjpgt1547513853

He was actually really strong before this update.

What gives him an advantage are his stunning, staggering, slowing, damaging abilities. His speed, elusiveness and survivability are advantages. His ability to stagger any hero with each use of his basic attack is an advantage.

Very few people used him in HvV? Since when? The only time he wasn't great was when his Chain Lighting wasn't working correctly. Otherwise, he's always been the easiest-to-use hero in the game.

Got any REY gameplay footage I may view?

Unfortunately I don't have the hardware for video recording. In any case we may agree to disagree on the conclusion of Palp.
    cucjqd5p8g4i.gif
  • xmasterful wrote: »

Palpatine was in a good spot when the game released. Since they decided to increase his health due to people not being patient enough to max out his cards first, and then judge his effectiveness when they do have them, he's been a broken mess.

Palpatine should have never been touched except a slight fix to how much stamina he was using when default attacking with left/right attack.
  • He has even been removed from arcade mode like seriously grrr
  • I don't see any mention of that time when Chewie was a total stunlock fest, did you forget about that or something? :p

Sad Palpatine is gone, but hope he will return soon.
  • Well done on palpating decision. He’s the worst character in the game. He’s like a cartoon character bouncing around he place spraying random lightning everywhere mopping up kills at a ridiculous rate.

I stopped playing as him as he was so unrealistic and unrewarding to play with.

Looking forward to a much better palpatine when he comes back
  • Kniphtee
    991 posts Member
    If DICE wants to keep the balance remove Rey too.
  • sillysaxon
    144 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    I really just don't understand why you would completely remove Palpatine instead of simply rolling him back to a slightly less desirable but NOT broken state?
    Post edited by sillysaxon on
  • The way this game works now that Palpatine has been removed we will likely see a daily challenge involving him in the next day or so!..lol
  • Levo wrote: »
    He was Never fine. OP since release because of the Way his attack Works.

I agree, I like palpatine he's awesome, but this game has caused a massive hatred for him on GA especially he's by far the most OP character due to his method of attack, all he can use is lightning attacks. If he had his saber and his 3 lightning abilities he currently has (plus his shock melee) he would be by far a much better character overall and so much easier to balance. Not to mention he will look awesome in his Senate robes skin if and when it comes!
  • I don't get everyone saying Palpatine was OP on GA. I made hilariously short work of him by staying at range and keeping away from his attacks
  • F8RGE wrote: »
    The Palpatine Kill Switch will be executed in under 15 minutes. You will need to restart your game to see the change within the menus, but the game will know instantly as it transitions to new maps.

Any updates on his fix/return to BF2?
    Any updates on possible loss of progression/levels/star cards once he returns?

• Arcanewarrior
    463 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    His attacks have mad range not to mention a half decent Palps player can close distance soo fast whilst avoiding blaster fire using his dash/jump spam combo and practically raining lightning down on everything around him all whilst regenerating health in midair from chain lightning combos on whole squads lool even saber heroes have a tough time catching him because of how fast he is able to move and attack haha and through goddamn walls I might add!
  • EA: Execute order 59(Order killswitch)
    DICE: As you command my master
    Palpatine: Nooooo noooooo noooooooooooooooooo, this cannot me
  • DarthQuiGon
    507 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    sillysaxon wrote: »
    I really just don't understand why you would completely remove Palpatine instead of simply rolling him back to a slightly less desirable but NOT broken state?

They are, but that requires a full patch.
    Killswitch can be done while they get that patch finished.
  • StarWars0525
    2601 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    EA: Execute order 59(Order killswitch)
    DICE: As you command my master
    Palpatine: Nooooo noooooo noooooooooooooooooo, this cannot me

Lol
  • stevenomes
    4701 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    when he comes back he'll likely be limited. like how Vader lost some power in the suit after his legs chopped off and he had less mobility and a breather. now after palps is fixed I really think they should give him a scar or something so everyone remembers what happened.
  • haddon
    24 posts Member
    I did not really understand why Palp was removed from the game. Because he was "too powerful" ... It's a Sith lord it makes sense right ?! it's his powers that are too powerful, or because one of his abilities can block his opponents ... So Kylo Ren is too powerful too then in these cases the ... If it's really his powers that hinder change Put him a saber lazer, leaving him just the dark aura, The flash chain and replacing the last one with something else, as I do not know, a load of force with his sword, the same way that Yoda, Luke and Maul. In the same way that he makes jumps forward, except with his saber this shot ... In addition we could have a new skin and more, as in the revenge of the sith, with his red rob ... In short it would be a shame to lose one of the most emblematic characters in the saga. Strongly they find a solution for our Sidious.
  • haddon wrote: »
    I did not really understand why Palp was removed from the game. Because he was "too powerful" ... It's a Sith lord it makes sense right ?! it's his powers that are too powerful, or because one of his abilities can block his opponents ... So Kylo Ren is too powerful too then in these cases the ... If it's really his powers that hinder change Put him a saber lazer, leaving him just the dark aura, The flash chain and replacing the last one with something else, as I do not know, a load of force with his sword, the same way that Yoda, Luke and Maul. In the same way that he makes jumps forward, except with his saber this shot ... In addition we could have a new skin and more, as in the revenge of the sith, with his red rob ... In short it would be a shame to lose one of the most emblematic characters in the saga. Strongly they find a solution for our Sidious.

It's not a story based, it's a competitive based game. Balance is more important than how strong he is story wise.

Palpetine had high stamina, high health Regen, auto aim, auto track, aoe, through walls attacking, high jump, high mobility.

Every match on consoles involved Palpetine dominating everything.

• haddon
    24 posts Member
    It's *****, you dominate that if you're good, no matter the hero ...
  • Ciena_Ree
    910 posts Member
    Man, this seems to be getting a little hysterical. Regardless of our opinions on how powerful or not Palpatine should/shouldn’t be, he’s been taken out for a while, and then he’ll be put back in when the hotfix comes.

I’m more than a little sad myself, since he was my first level 40 hero and he’s my favourite character in both the game and Star Wars, but it is what it is. I can completely understand people not liking being on the receiving end of the worse end of his bugs, so we’ll have to hope, putting all their attention on Palpatine, he’ll be sorted.
  • Anyone still wondering why,

When a bad GA player can do this before his insane buff/bug... imagine what a good Ga player can do. I think I kill 7-8 heroes???

"I play Star Wars like real life, I try not to die if possible."

k2bblaxemr26.png

PS4 EventHorizonOH
  • On another note, unrelated to palps or saber combat, can we add the option to disable turrets in starfighter arcade?
  • Ciena_Ree
    910 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Some reasons why I have utter contempt for Emperor Palpatine in Star Wars Battlefront 2 . . .

These are my opinions, not facts. Please treat them as such. Feel free to reply with your own opinions on what you like and/or don't like about Emperor Palpatine and maybe we can get some solid feedback that can be passed on to the dev team.

1. He has had numerous ability bugs since launch.
    2. He is the most abused character in the game due to all of his ability bugs.
    3. He doesn't slide or roll, he spins, and its range and speed are faster then any other Hero/Villain/Trooper unit.
    4. He is the only Force-user that can use their base attack non-stop while Force-jumping.

I think his lightning attacks and abilities would have worked fine if he was designed with a lightsaber, and I am of the opinion that his unique design is part of the problem on why his abilities keep breaking and causing bugs in the game.

Enough is enough. This character needs to be completely fixed before being put back into the game and should remain out of the game until that is done.

KC

I want to upvote you for simply taking the time to say these are your opinions, not passing them off as facts, so thank you very much for that one simple qualifier.

To be honest, on some points I agree with you, he has been unfortunately glitched for some time now. Funnily enough, back at launch, he didn't have a single glitch - I remember one of the original patch notes after the turned off his lightning through walls actually admitting it wasn't a glitch, it was working as intended, but proved to be a lot more powerful than back when they'd first designed and implemented it. In many regards, I'd say his first iteration was one of his more balanced phases, if they'd simply removed his ability to go through walls. He didn't need regen, extra health or more, he was plenty powerful enough to dominate.

I don't know how much more work needs doing on him, balance-wise. To be honest, so long as they just deal with the current set of bugs, I think he'll finally be fully balanced. I'm desperately hoping there's no more requests to try and do this or that to him, but time will tell.
    Post edited by Ciena_Ree on
  • Ciena_Ree

I want to upvote you for simply taking the time to say these are your opinions, not passing them off as facts, so thank you very much for that one simple qualifier.

Thank you for the compliment and you are most welcome. My frustration with Emperor Palpatine has been never-ending.

I do think that Emperor Palpatine can be fixed and balanced without the need for any drastic changes, but DICE have been trying to do this for over eight months now with no end in sight.

I cast most of the blame on EA in terms of why this game is suffering from so many bugs and other issues. DICE can only do so much and I am guessing that many of the original team that did the Hero/Villain coding are long gone.

Apparently there is a person at DICE who is "in charge" of Heroes/Villains and if this is the case, then they don't know what they are doing and/or they simply don't care anymore. If this is the case then DICE should replace them with somebody who is willing to do the work to get it done.

KC
  • This is good news. Looking forward to the hotfix. :smile:

@F8RGE Is DICE aware of an issue with the AI not respawning in Custom Arcade? While I was playing Starfighter Team Battle last night, I encountered a problem with the AI not respawning when playing with a disproportionate team rule set. I had 10 ships on one team and 2 on the other, and 8 of the 10 ships on the former team would not respawn after they were destroyed. So it always ended up 2v2. This happened every match. :anguished:
    "All wings report in."
  • How embarrassing
  • The kill switch thing is just a cover up!

The actual story is that our emperor was so fed up with being broken, over and over again, that he escaped the confines of his digital existence and is currently running a mock...
    Apparently, Dice's studio looks like ewok hunt on a thundery evening.
  • Kerle
    427 posts Member
    The kill switch thing is just a cover up!

The actual story is that our emperor was so fed up with being broken, over and over again, that he escaped the confines of his digital existence and is currently running a mock...
    Apparently, Dice's studio looks like ewok hunt on a thundery evening.

So the lights went off and Uncle Sheev got a bit touchy in the dark?

That guy is such a creep.
    "Lady Gaga said shes addicted to [THC]. And its not harmless." - Jeff Sessions, US Attorney General

"Yeah, ok, Jeff. But Lady Gaga also said: 'I think that men and women deserve to love each other equally'...
    ...So please, Jeff, if you going to live your life according to Gaga quotes, accept the entire canon." - John Oliver.
  • stevenomes
    4701 posts Member
    im kind of rooting for the emperor i this one. i hope he eludes the dev team.
  • LeftTurnus
    1099 posts Member

Palps was a disaster in GA. Bottom line. The lightning through walls was back, 5 troopers at a time would be erased in the blink of an eye, with no risk to him. No other hero could single handedly wreck an entire team in GA like he could. His removal was most definitely warranted ...
  • BTL-A4_Ace wrote: »
    This is good news. Looking forward to the hotfix. :smile:

@F8RGE Is DICE aware of an issue with the AI not respawning in Custom Arcade? While I was playing Starfighter Team Battle last night, I encountered a problem with the AI not respawning when playing with a disproportionate team rule set. I had 10 ships on one team and 2 on the other, and 8 of the 10 ships on the former team would not respawn after they were destroyed. So it always ended up 2v2. This happened every match. :anguished:

This happened to me on Kamino, and when I restarted they all spawned out of objective and would only come in if fired at.
  • How embarrassing

Lost a character our developers have, how embarrassing, how embarrassing.
  • You know, it would be both hilarious and unsurprising if The Senate came back even stronger...

...and the devs just give up on trying to nerf him and just buff everything else to be proportionate to him.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • How much time comes back? my favorite person Palpatine. I play it there. It is boring without. come back soon!
  • #RevertNotFix
    awakespace wrote: »
    Please listen to the community F8RGE and DICE. Please!

Don't "fix" Palpatine and don't "adjust" the saber user stamina system. This is not what we want. This is not the right move.

Revert Palpatine to his build at the release of Solo season part 1. This is before you attempted to "fix' the ATAT bug that spiraled into the situation we have now. The ATAT bug is completely fine to live with for now.

Revert saber users to the build that was prior to to Solo season part 1, in which they could break through a block with an air strike. This was great. The issue you are trying to resolve was not an issue until you made this change.

Again, don't fix or tinker, just revert.

^^ This. Please and Thank you.
  • Fevee
    227 posts Member
    Can you Kill Switch Chewie as well? Way overpowered.