criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Journey to Star Wars Episode IX | A Finale to the Skywalker Saga

Han_Spinel
1102 posts Member
edited July 2018
Hi all,

Star Wars Episode IX may represent a finale to, what is undeniably, the Skywalker saga. In celebration of filming this month, & building on recent speculation, I've put together a recap to hype our journey to Episode IX!

Hope you all enjoy, and may the Force be with you.

p.s. I think Rey is a Skywalker....
In 1977, a single shot rang out at the Cantina.... No first, no second. Han shot - end of statement.

PSN: Han_Spinel
Youtube: Han Spinel
Twitter: @Han_Spinel
The Unofficial Star Wars Battlefront Campaign Companion
Post edited by Han_Spinel on

Replies

• Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    Why does Rey have to be the Skywalker why not Finn? ;)
  • Han_Spinel
    1102 posts Member
    Evazan127 wrote: »

Never say never, I guess? Only time will tell!
    In 1977, a single shot rang out at the Cantina.... No first, no second. Han shot - end of statement.

• Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    This is really good what did you make it with?
  • Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    Kylo/Ben is the the Skywalker of this trilogy IMO. I consider the ST Kylo’s story just as much as Rey’s.
  • Evazan127
    8105 posts Member
    Han_Spinel wrote: »

Never say never, I guess? Only time will tell!
    I agree though there needs to be something to tie all of them together and the obvious thing is te Skywalker family.
  • Han_Spinel
    1102 posts Member
    Cad_Bane wrote: »
    Kylo/Ben is the the Skywalker of this trilogy IMO. I consider the ST Kylo’s story just as much as Rey’s.

Hey Cad!

I agree about Ben Solo-Skywalker, he's definitely an integral role of the new Skywalker story, but I'll provide some more context to my lines of reasoning regarding a case for Rey Skywalker in the spoiler below.
    My own opinion is that JJ added to the Skywalker mythos in The Force Awakens, shedding new light and perspective on both the PT and OT. In some ways, you need only follow the Skywalker Saber to understand the Skywalker Saga story arc.

With Anakin alone, Darkness prevailed, but "The Emperor knew, as I did, if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him."- Obi-Wan, RotJ. I believe the Skywalker offspring in general, is a fulfillment of the prophecy for balance.

Obi-wan takes the Skywalker Saber after his duel with Anakin, and passes it on to Anakin's son, Luke. Luke redeems his father, but is left to be The Last Jedi. The Force is unbalanced yet again.

"Darkness rises...." in Kylo Ren, a.k.a. Ben Solo *Skywalker* as we both agree, "...and Light to meet it" in Rey No One?? No, at least not from my perspective. I believe Rey is also a Skywalker of some form (in my opinion, Ben's cousin, not sister). Rey is unsure of herself and her origins, and attempts to pass the torch back to Luke in the Resistance's time of need, but it is not his time anymore; it is her time.

I found it incredibly interesting that Kylo Ren claims heir to the Skywalker saber in TFA, "That saber. It belongs to ME." But the saber instead, continues to call to Rey No One?? No, at least not from my perspective. She is also a Skywalker.

So, I think the ST somewhat poses the question: what happens when two Skywalkers call to *THE* Skywalker saber at the same time, and both having a rightful claim!? The saber survived The Force Awakens duel in the forest, but not The Last Jedi when Rey and Ben Solo Skywalker do so again in Snoke's throne room. Their presence, coming to power at exactly the same time, is the new test the Skywalker family has yet to face.

Ultimately, "We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all Masters." -Yoda, TLJ. I think this sums up the ST, and more importantly, the entire saga Episodes I-IX perfectly. I believe this quote also relates to the true delight (Rey-Light) or sorrow (Ben-Darkness) of parents and offspring, especially when reflecting upon the Skywalker saga. We are what our children will grow beyond.

So yes, I believe Rey is a Skywalker. Rey's arc is "so much bigger" than any relationship. She thinks that she needs to find her parents in order to find herself, but I truly believe we will come to see in Episode IX that EVERYONE needs Rey, Ben Solo Skywalker included...."it's about family."

For the record, I don't care if I'm right or wrong, I'm loving the ST regardless, and just along for the ride!

There were also some recent parallels identified between Luke & Rey in TLJ comic adaptation, and another interesting bit of visual parallels between Rey and Kylo Ren from TLJ (spoilers below).

I ran this on my twitter feed today, so it's all fresh in my mind; apologies for the rant, but I wouldn't mind opening up the discussion and continue speculation!

• Han_Spinel
    1102 posts Member
    This is really good what did you make it with?

Thank you, sincerely, & Please do feel free to share!

I actually made it using....
    imovie :D

I appreciate it though, really. Star Wars & editing are two of my many hobbies. I have too many hobbies haha

• Cad_Bane
    6252 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    You make some interesting points here. I don’t agree with all of them but they are very interesting nevertheless. As far as the Skywalker’s and balance is concerned, I consider the defeat of both Vader and Palpatine the point when balance was brought. Once anakin defeated palps, he completed the role of the chosen one and brought balance to the force by destroying the sith. The sith, by nature, would always swing the force out of balance. Until the sith could be destroyed, there was no hope of balance.

Oh and very cool video BTW. ;)
  • Han_Spinel
    1102 posts Member
    Cad_Bane wrote: »
    You make some interesting points here. I don’t agree with all of them but they are very interesting nevertheless. As far as the Skywalker’s balance is concerned, I consider the defeat of both Vader and Palpatine the point when balance was brought. Once anakin defeated palps, he completed the role of the chosen one and brought balance to the force by destroying the sith. The sith, by nature, would always swing the force out of balance. Until the sith could be destroyed, there was no hope of balance.

Oh and very cool video BTW. ;)

Thanks!

And I was TOTALLY on your line of reasoning until watching the ST movies. Now, I'm beginning to think the Skywalker bloodline is the definition of balance. Anakin was both Light, then Dark, then Light once more. Luke grew from that, but teetered on the edge of Darkness when confronting both Vader and Palpatine. It is clear from TLJ that Kylo Ren is also teetering toward the light, but steering more toward the Darkness. Rey on the otherhand was teetering toward the Darkness after striking Ren down in the forest (akin to Luke's fight against Vader on the 2nd Death Star), but steering more toward the Light in TLJ obviously.

So from my perspective, it is the Skywalker bloodline that is balance itself - Light and Dark, and sometimes crashing one way or the other, but to me - Light alone is not balanced, and Darkness alone is not balance. I think both must exist, but we've never really seen anyone other than a Skywalker be or use both sides.

If the Skywalkers can "walk the line" so to speak, it would represent the "end of the Jedi order," and also to "let the past die." I guess I think Kylo Ren is right in a lot of ways, and represents a more sophisticated Darkside relative to the Evil Sith, whereas Rey represents a more open mindedness to the Light relative to the strict Jedi Order.

Again, just my two cents, and could be completely wrong!

• Han_Spinel
    1102 posts Member
    Made an updated Hype Trailer for Episode IX below.

So many people losing their stuff over parallels, but seems to me we're ignoring some blatantly obvious ones! Even if you don't agree there is a Skywalker connection with Rey, I hope you find the video enjoyable nonetheless. May the Force be with us....