criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

Stealth Offline Testing Ongoing?

Scoundrel
254 posts Member
Call me crazy, but something is happening here...

I suspect that the team is trying out some new AI for offline play in the new Arcade Conquest mode... And it's happening in Skirmish BF2015.

I could be completely wrong about this, but here's why...

I play BF2015 skirmish (offline) quite often. I love the Arcade options in BF2, but hands-down the large scale Walker Assault matches are much better at this time. I play on NORMAL. Usually rack up around 115-150 kills. Die infrequently. It's Skirmish. Mindless fun, not much challenge. I play on Normal setting, where the issues with fighters strafing isn't anywhere near as terrible as the two difficulty tiers above. The only vehicles around are AI fighters dogfighting in the sky (and occasionally strafing sloppily and not really hitting anything). But today, the fighters were pulling off some precise, almost surgical, strafing runs. They weren't spraying laser blasts all over, they were targeting specific groups of troops (sometimes me, sometimes not) and cutting them down. I though that was weird, but cool. But that's not all.

Usually, on NORMAL difficulty, the bots just kinda run around and somewhat aimlessly and cluelessly drift from one spot to another shooting at you. They move towards the uplinks and will active/deactivate, but it's blasé. Today they were actively grouping and putting up a real fight at strategic locations. They were cutting me off. Preventing me from getting to the uplink. Massing in larger numbers closer to the uplinks. Now, don't get me wrong, it wasn't exactly like multiplayer, but it was challenging and surprised the hell out of me. They were trying to hold the area...like it was a command post. The AI was undoubtedly acting different.

Then this really threw me...

Since Skirmish became a thing, I have never seen FRIENDLY AI AT-STs... Sure the Walkers are there on rails. But the only time I'd ever seen, AT-STs in Skirmish was if the player (me or split-screen partner) picked up a token. So you can imagine my surprise when I saw (on each map) FREINDLY AT-STs roaming around picking off enemy troops. Once I saw that I thought to myself... Just like in the Conquest mode that Dennis and the team have talked about...

Lastly, it's been a while since I played BF1 ONLINE, so correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't heroes show up on the minimap as red hollow circles? This one I can't exactly verify, but I swear it was there twice on two separate maps. Red Hero icon on radar, out of my sightline, but on the radar.

I've never seen that for any enemy troop or vehicle in Skirmish, but it was there today. Again, no visible AI heroes, but what I'm reasonably sure is the minimap marker for them.

It hard to quantify a feeling of being challenged more, but I'm telling you all of this happened.
I played five rounds of skirmish. Hoth 2x, Tatooine 2x, Sullust 1x. I checked and made sure it was set to NORMAL prior to each round. I don't play on any other setting.

End results..? Still had my 150-ish kills, but the game played infinitely better. Tougher. More challenging, but still easy if you get my meaning.

Something is going on here. Has anyone else experienced this? If you have any questions, let me know...

Replies

• ELIMELECH0401
    1291 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Scoundrel wrote: »

I suspect that the team is trying out some new AI for offline play in the new Arcade Conquest mode... And it's happening in Skirmish BF2015.

I play BF2015 skirmish (offline) quite often. I love the Arcade options in BF2, but hands-down the large scale Walker Assault matches are much better at this time. I play on NORMAL. Usually rack up around 115-150 kills. Die infrequently. It's Skirmish. Mindless fun, not much challenge. I play on Normal setting, where the issues with fighters strafing isn't anywhere near as terrible as the two difficulty tiers above. The only vehicles around are AI fighters dogfighting in the sky (and occasionally strafing sloppily and not really hitting anything). But today, the fighters were pulling off some precise, almost surgical, strafing runs. They weren't spraying laser blasts all over, they were targeting specific groups of troops (sometimes me, sometimes not) and cutting them down. I though that was weird, but cool. But that's not all.

Usually, on NORMAL difficulty, the bots just kinda run around and somewhat aimlessly and cluelessly drift from one spot to another shooting at you. They move towards the uplinks and will active/deactivate, but it's blasé. Today they were actively grouping and putting up a real fight at strategic locations. They were cutting me off. Preventing me from getting to the uplink. Massing in larger numbers closer to the uplinks. Now, don't get me wrong, it wasn't exactly like multiplayer, but it was challenging and surprised the **** out of me. They were trying to hold the area...like it was a command post. The AI was undoubtedly acting different.

Since Skirmish became a thing, I have never seen FRIENDLY AI AT-STs... Sure the Walkers are there on rails. But the only time I'd ever seen, AT-STs in Skirmish was if the player (me or split-screen partner) picked up a token. So you can imagine my surprise when I saw (on each map) FREINDLY AT-STs roaming around picking off enemy troops. Once I saw that I thought to myself... Just like in the Conquest mode that Dennis and the team have talked about...

Lastly, it's been a while since I played BF1 ONLINE, so correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't heroes show up on the minimap as red hollow circles? This one I can't exactly verify, but I swear it was there twice on two separate maps. Red Hero icon on radar, out of my sightline, but on the radar.

I've never seen that for any enemy troop or vehicle in Skirmish, but it was there today. Again, no visible AI heroes, but what I'm reasonably sure is the minimap marker for them.

It hard to quantify a feeling of being challenged more, but I'm telling you all of this happened.
    I played five rounds of skirmish. Hoth 2x, Tatooine 2x, Sullust 1x. I checked and made sure it was set to NORMAL prior to each round. I don't play on any other setting.

End results..? Still had my 150-ish kills, but the game played infinitely better. Tougher. More challenging, but still easy if you get my meaning.

Something is going on here. Has anyone else experienced this? If you have any questions, let me know...

Sounds cool. There is a chance that could be a testing ground but I don't know if it is. I haven't played that game for a while.
    Post edited by ELIMELECH0401 on
    I am the same user as Elimelech401, that account was not tied to the game. I am hoping for more Skirmish with split screen and hero AI.
  • Fantastic Post OP.

But I immediately checked skirmish on Battlefront 2015 and I didn't see any Friendly AT-ST's roaming. Could you please confirm what system this was on. I tested on the Base PS4 but if you tried on PC maybe it's different.
  • Just witness the same thing today thought maybe it's been awhile since I played and didn't realized this before.

But yep I do believe your right.
  • ELIMELECH0401
    1291 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    I certainly hope this is testing for the Arcade large mode.
    I am the same user as Elimelech401, that account was not tied to the game. I am hoping for more Skirmish with split screen and hero AI.
  • Battlefront (2015) hasn't had an update since january 2017, there can't be new features or tests if there is no new client side patch :)
  • Fantastic Post OP.

But I immediately checked skirmish on Battlefront 2015 and I didn't see any Friendly AT-ST's roaming. Could you please confirm what system this was on. I tested on the Base PS4 but if you tried on PC maybe it's different.

It was on PS4. No mods, just plain ole PS4. No video proof, so you'll to take my word for it, but those who know me know I'm not messing around. I'll try to get a screenshot next time.

The friendly AT-ST thing BLEW ME AWAY. I thought for sure that it must have always been there and I just never saw it, but I don't think so. I've played a ton of skirmish and I've never seen anything like this.
  • bfloo
    15020 posts Member
    Battlefront (2015) hasn't had an update since january 2017, there can't be new features or tests if there is no new client side patch :)

There have been updates on the server side, no idea about skirmish though.

When I hop on, it runs great now.

Same cheesy mechanics, but they made the game fun.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• KlownShueS wrote: »
    Just witness the same thing today thought maybe it's been awhile since I played and didn't realized this before.

But yep I do believe your right.

Yes! Glad to see someone else is witnessing it too. So clearly I'm not imagining this. It would make sense that they test new AI for BF2. Skirmish supposedly hasn't had an update for over a year, but this is so clearly different behavior for the AI.
  • Battlefront (2015) hasn't had an update since january 2017, there can't be new features or tests if there is no new client side patch :)

The game is built to run off their servers even in Skirmish, for example you cannot use the DLC heroes unless you log in online first. I am not sure if this is time based or they stay unlocked until you turn the system off; however, on Xbox, when you first turn the system on, you must connect to use them. You also cannot edit your hand if you are fully offline.

Usually, on NORMAL difficulty, the bots just kinda run around and somewhat aimlessly and cluelessly drift from one spot to another shooting at you. They move towards the uplinks and will active/deactivate, but it's blasé. Today they were actively grouping and putting up a real fight at strategic locations. They were cutting me off. Preventing me from getting to the uplink. Massing in larger numbers closer to the uplinks. Now, don't get me wrong, it wasn't exactly like multiplayer, but it was challenging and surprised the **** out of me. They were trying to hold the area...like it was a command post. The AI was undoubtedly acting different.

Here is a popular offline topic if you would more discussion on this. https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/69234/skirmish-offline-content#latest
  • Just an update... On Reddit several users have reported seeing the same types of things, and none can recall previously seeing the friendly AI VEHICLES, improved Starfighter and trooper AI, red circle icons on starfighters (like on Starfighter assault), and red circle hero icons on the mini-map.

If it's not just me imagining stuff, then there's a definite movement afoot. There is no reason why (with limited resources) DICE would decide to—out of the goodness of of their hearts—make quality changes to SKIRMSIH BF 2015.... Unless they were using it as a testing ground for BF2. Don't get me wrong, I hope the changes they've made to SKIRMISH stick around, because it now plays like the SKIRMISH WE ALL HOPED IT WOULD BE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

And it gives me hope that we WILL see large scale Conquest on Arcade. If the AI CAN DO THIS IN BF 2015, it can certainly capture and defend command posts in conquest for BF2.

• Scoundrel wrote: »
    Just an update... On Reddit several users have reported seeing the same types of things, and none can recall previously seeing the friendly AI VEHICLES, improved Starfighter and trooper AI, red circle icons on starfighters (like on Starfighter assault), and red circle hero icons on the mini-map.

If it's not just me imagining stuff, then there's a definite movement afoot. There is no reason why (with limited resources) DICE would decide to—out of the goodness of of their hearts—make quality changes to SKIRMSIH BF 2015.... Unless they were using it as a testing ground for BF2. Don't get me wrong, I hope the changes they've made to SKIRMISH stick around, because it now plays like the SKIRMISH WE ALL HOPED IT WOULD BE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

And it gives me hope that we WILL see large scale Conquest on Arcade. If the AI CAN DO THIS IN BF 2015, it can certainly capture and defend command posts in conquest for BF2.

I tried it yesterday on the Ps4 on Normal difficulty and I didn't notice any Friendly AT-ST's. I believe you OP I will test more tonight. Were you playing on the Empire side?
  • ELIMELECH0401
    1291 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Just an update... On Reddit several users have reported seeing the same types of things, and none can recall previously seeing the friendly AI VEHICLES, improved Starfighter and trooper AI, red circle icons on starfighters (like on Starfighter assault), and red circle hero icons on the mini-map.

Has anybody reported seeing an AI hero on the battlefield? Please post if they do. Either way this could be a great improvement for the offline in both games. I hope once they are done testing they do a client side patch for 2015 to update the AI. I am sure they will update 2017.
  • You can play dlc heroes offline I do it all the time.
  • Lonnisity
    1945 posts Member

I tried it yesterday on the Ps4 on Normal difficulty and I didn't notice any Friendly AT-ST's. I believe you OP I will test more tonight. Were you playing on the Empire side?

I mean, yeah. He had to have been. The rebels don’t get AT-STs so you wouldn’t see “Friendly AT-STs” as a rebel
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • Scoundrel
    254 posts Member

Yes, playing as the Empire. To be clear, as I stated previously I did not see AI Heroes roaming around. I just saw the hero icon on the mini-map twice. By the time I got to where I thought it was coming from, there was no sign of a hero on the battlefield. The friendly Walker seem to be more prevalent on Hoth and Jundland Wastes. Have also seen on Endor. They seem to stop appearing after the second set of uplinks.
  • Scoundrel
    254 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »
    Battlefront (2015) hasn't had an update since january 2017, there can't be new features or tests if there is no new client side patch :)

There have been updates on the server side, no idea about skirmish though.

When I hop on, it runs great now.

Same cheesy mechanics, but they made the game fun.

They definitely made changes to the AI. Skirmish is way more challenging now, but a hell of lot more fun. Another note... My wife and I play skirmish quite often. Split screen. Previously was would each kill 130-200 bots every round, played the objectives (activated and defended the uplinks) and the game would always result in a last second loss. Rebels would take down the walkers regardless of our efforts.

In the past few days, we haven't lost a round. Something's different.
  • SAM4XE
    317 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Definitely noticed a significant improvement in skirmish. Ai seems to be more intelligent at playing the objective and the past several Games I've seen Ai snowspeeders taking down Walkers and a noticeable increase in AT-ST bots and Ai being much more aggressive with ships and special abilities. I have not seen any Ai hero's but Skirmish fun factor has definitely been ramped up.
    You can play dlc heroes offline I do it all the time.

They must have updated the files. I used to have to login once to use them in Skirmish on Xbox.
  • SAM4XE wrote: »
    Definitely noticed a significant improvement in skirmish. Ai seems to be more intelligent at playing the objective and the past several Games I've seen Ai snowspeeders taking down Walkers and a noticeable increase in AT-ST bots and Ai being much more aggressive with ships and special abilities. I have not seen any Ai hero's but Skirmish fun factor has definitely been ramped up.

Awesome I may have to check this out.
    You can play dlc heroes offline I do it all the time.

They must have updated the files. I used to have to login once to use them in Skirmish on Xbox.

I wish the dlc maps was offline.
  • SAM4XE
    317 posts Member
    Looks like more people are noticing the improvements to the Ai in SWBF1.
  • AxeWin
    45 posts Member
    Nope no test going on since the game is not updated.

Its exactly playing offline has it was before.
  • AxeWin wrote: »

Well call me crazy but before AI would not take out the walkers. And when I played on hoth as rebels they have been tapping the beacons and taking down at at without my help and even saw sore I saw an at ST in the last leg.
  • AxeWin wrote: »

If they updated server side there would be no download and your console would have to be connected to the internet to see the differences.
  • Devlin21
    8323 posts Member
    AxeWin wrote: »

They can do server updates without updating the game itself.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• vyrjola
    44 posts Member
    Oh man I really hope this is not a mass illusion! Gonna fire up swbf1 and try it out!
  • Scoundrel
    254 posts Member
    There is a marked difference between the AI behavior now from how it was before. Maybe there was a server side update. Maybe the friendly ATST was always there but I never saw it because of the old AI, maybe it was blown up near-immediately. Now it's like playing in multiplayer (to a point). Skirmish is still "easy" and "fun" but it's much more challenging now. There had to have been a server side update... Which is why I think it was done to test what they can and can't program in Arcade for BF2. I don't pretend to know anything about writing the code, and I don't know how the code would translate from one game to another, but something is different.

As I've said... With the limited dev staff supposedly working on this game, and resources strained to the point of having to choose between which bits of content they work on, there is no way that changes are made to Skirmish, just because. Any changes to skirmish HAVE to be a test of AI logic/programming/etc, for future modes/games on BF2.
  • vyrjola
    44 posts Member
    Ok I played swbf1 few rounds and yes there was friendly at-st! Also the AI felt different and challenging, they actually defended the uplinks and took cover when they were pinned down. The uplinks were much more online than in previous matches I've played skirmish. Was all of this there before or have I just got so used to low quality AI of SWBF2? Also what I noticed is that starfighters rained down fire on ground more aggressively.

0ho35ce8npfp.jpg
    There is a marked difference between the AI behavior now from how it was before. Maybe there was a server side update. Maybe the friendly ATST was always there but I never saw it because of the old AI, maybe it was blown up near-immediately. Now it's like playing in multiplayer (to a point). Skirmish is still "easy" and "fun" but it's much more challenging now. There had to have been a server side update... Which is why I think it was done to test what they can and can't program in Arcade for BF2. I don't pretend to know anything about writing the code, and I don't know how the code would translate from one game to another, but something is different.

As I've said... With the limited dev staff supposedly working on this game, and resources strained to the point of having to choose between which bits of content they work on, there is no way that changes are made to Skirmish, just because. Any changes to skirmish HAVE to be a test of AI logic/programming/etc, for future modes/games on BF2.

Man im hoping your right. I lost my hope for mor offline content, now i read this crazy **** and get hyped again. As you said, it macs no sens if they just change somthing in bf 1 (2015) without plans to tranlsat this to bf2 ( 2017)... im hoping your right.
    an another thing who makes me think there could be more than it seems to be Ben never answer something on twitter about arcade... i mean its easy to say there is nothing more for offline content. but he is silent....
  • vyrjola
    44 posts Member

Man im hoping your right. I lost my hope for mor offline content, now i read this crazy **** and get hyped again. As you said, it macs no sens if they just change somthing in bf 1 (2015) without plans to tranlsat this to bf2 ( 2017)... im hoping your right.
    an another thing who makes me think there could be more than it seems to be Ben never answer something on twitter about arcade... i mean its easy to say there is nothing more for offline content. but he is silent....

Well I can't remember was it Ben or who that replied when asked about GA offline, that there will be something like that, but not a direct port because of AI issues. So I am hoping this new large-scale mode will be conquest and for offline too.
  • vyrjola wrote: »

Well I can't remember was it Ben or who that replied when asked about GA offline, that there will be something like that, but not a direct port because of AI issues. So I am hoping this new large-scale mode will be conquest and for offline too.

Yes if course i did nt forgot that but thats was back in january? Feburary?? Since than i didnt hear something more... hoping too for coquest mode! And better Starfighter assault step by step (thats also confirmd by ben?)

It was Dennis. I hope this mode fall is offline. Large scale game mode.
  • Devlin21
    8323 posts Member
    vyrjola wrote: »

Dennis.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

Ok I played swbf1 few rounds and yes there was friendly at-st! Also the AI felt different and challenging, they actually defended the uplinks and took cover when they were pinned down. The uplinks were much more online than in previous matches I've played skirmish. Was all of this there before or have I just got so used to low quality AI of SWBF2? Also what I noticed is that starfighters rained down fire on ground more aggressively.

0ho35ce8npfp.jpg

Yep! This is what I've been saying... The AI is more aggressive, challenging, and strategic. Glad I'm not alone in seeing it. The friendly ATSTs are there for sure wrrakong havoc. They were never a factor before. Skirmish plays amazing now... This is not hyperbole. Skirmish is different. Say what you will... Believe the game is not being tinkered with... But I'm here to tell you, it is... And I'd be willing to bet that it's being done for the sole purpose of working out the kinks on AI logic for Arcade in BF2.

0ho35ce8npfp.jpg

Yep! This is what I've been saying... The AI is more aggressive, challenging, and strategic. Glad I'm not alone in seeing it. The friendly ATSTs are there for sure wrrakong havoc. They were never a factor before. Skirmish plays amazing now... This is not hyperbole. Skirmish is different. Say what you will... Believe the game is not being tinkered with... But I'm here to tell you, it is... And I'd be willing to bet that it's being done for the sole purpose of working out the kinks on AI logic for Arcade in BF2.

I never saw AT-ST's when testing but after this picture I believe you. Maybe it only works on servers in specific regions. Who knows. Let's hope for the best!
  • SAM4XE
    317 posts Member
    Their is absolutely no doubt in my mind that The Ai has been tweaked. I've noticed bots are significantly more organised and play the objective with more urgency. I'm convinced he only logical reason they're making improvements is because SWB1 is a test bed for SWBF2 Ai.
  • vyrjola
    44 posts Member
    SAM4XE wrote: »
    Their is absolutely no doubt in my mind that The Ai has been tweaked. I've noticed bots are significantly more organised and play the objective with more urgency. I'm convinced he only logical reason they're making improvements is because SWB1 is a test bed for SWBF2 Ai.

It would also make sense that they would test it in SWBF1 since uplinks are very similar to command posts, they need to be captured and protected. They basically already have the AI for conquest.
  • SAM4XE
    317 posts Member
    SAM4XE wrote: »

It would also make sense that they would test it in SWBF1 since uplinks are very similar to command posts, they need to be captured and protected. They basically already have the AI for conquest.

p48977toumma.gif
  • I am intrigued! :)
  • ELIMELECH0401
    1291 posts Member
    edited July 2018

On 6/29/2018, Ben stated on a social media site they are working on Arcade content but they aren't ready to reveal specifics. There is a screen shot of this info in Battle Front Updates waiting for the roadmap stream. I believe It occurs at 4:27:55. If you watch from the 4 hr 25 min mark to the 4.5 hr mark you will see it. User Aussie Viking shared this find in the Skirmish thread.
  • That's good news... I hadn't seen that before. Makes sense that they wouldn't say anything yet... Like Nute Gunray said, "No need to report that to him until we have something to report."
    That's good news... I hadn't seen that before. Makes sense that they wouldn't say anything yet... Like Nute Gunray said, "No need to report that to him until we have something to report."

Definitely, made me happy.
  • greedo1980
    713 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    I would be very surprised if the 3 people that are still working on BF2 are wasting time on that.

Having said that this is DICE so who knows.

They don't seem to have any idea what they are doing with that last update. What a big mess that was. Embarrassing.
  • ELIMELECH0401
    1291 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    greedo1980 wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if the 3 people that are still working on BF2 are wasting time on that.

Having said that this is DICE so who knows.

They don't seem to have any idea what they are doing with that last update. What a big mess that was. Embarrassing.

In the same vid I mentioned above, BFU also said they were hiring for the game. I don't know the time mark but I think it was between 3 hr 50 min and 4.5 hr. If that is accurate, that is good news.
    Post edited by ELIMELECH0401 on
  • Maytheforcebewithyou
    1020 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    I reinstalled the game, I was intrigued to by @Scoundrel

Game 1. i played skirmish WA on Hoth as mentioned by @Scoundrel. I played as imperials on Normal difficulty.

- I can see a significant difference at each of the command posts.

- more rebels attack you make it difficult to capture command posts and turn the uplinks off.

- ai fighters fire more aggressively and target ai whilst in air combat.

Just managed a victory with 1 walker standing, it was a close intense game.

Game 2. Next played as rebels to my astonishment to atst walkers attacking at seperate occasions during the match.

More support from ai shooting at the at at walkers,

Didn't finish whole match mess around with Luke, tokens and flying a tie fighter. Using the at at walker.

Tested while connection online.

So can safely say @Starmasui17324 thread post was looked into. And totally agree with @Scoundrel

There working on how to Integrate Large scale mode to Battlefront II offline Arcade. Exciting times ahead but with caution. :)

Still on lookout for red icon for hero ai enemies.