criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Harry Potter & Fantastic Beasts thread

Midichlorian
1379 posts Member
edited July 22

I grew up with the Harry Potter films, the franchise was a huge part of my childhood. I entered preschool around the time Sorcerer's Stone came out in theaters and was coming near high school graduation when Deathly Hallows Part 2 came out. Harry Potter was like a second reality to me as a kid.

And in 2016, the world of Harry Potter came back. Much like Phantom Menace, this new film went back in time and showed us the world we knew in a way we hadn't seen.
I honestly didn't like Fanastic Beasts upon first viewing, my hopes were too high. Though upon repeated viewings I began to understand and like the characters more.
"Dude, don't call us plucky, we don't know what it means."
Devoted worshipper of Haruhi Suzumiya
Instagram
Twitter
DeviantArt
YouTube
346z5t0ufg6v.gif

Replies

• I love it all, new trailer looks fantastic!
    Top favorite heroes and villains missing:
    Ahsoka, Anakin, Rex, Padme, Cody
    Bane, Thrawn, Ventress, Dooku, Jango
    0np8u7zs8tne.gif
  • I love it all, new trailer looks fantastic!
    It does, got goosebumps when they showed Hogwarts!!
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif
  • Looking forward to it. I also grew up alongside the films. The weirdest thing I have ever done was go to the Cursed Child book release. I never understood the term Potterhead until then. I am really looking forward to this movie, I thought the first was really good.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • WodiQuix
    4107 posts Member
    I can't wait to see it! I'm a huge Harry Potter fan. Dumbledore looks excellently casted as well.
  • WodiQuix
    4107 posts Member
    Looking forward to it. I also grew up alongside the films. The weirdest thing I have ever done was go to the Cursed Child book release. I never understood the term Potterhead until then. I am really looking forward to this movie, I thought the first was really good.

Same for me.
  • Don't know if I am allowed to bump a movie thread. If so, I am sorry. But they came out with an awesome new trailer.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • BeastlyCrawdad
    2499 posts Member
    edited September 25
    Don't know if I am allowed to bump a movie thread. If so, I am sorry. But they came out with an awesome new trailer.
    Here is the last official trailer for the movie. I am super excited.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
  • Midichlorian
    1379 posts Member
    edited September 25
    Don't know if I am allowed to bump a movie thread. If so, I am sorry. But they came out with an awesome new trailer.

It's off-topic so I am sure it's fine.
    And I like to avoid trailers during the waning weeks before release. I just watch the first teaser trailer & that's usually it.
    Post edited by Midichlorian on
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif
  • Don't know if I am allowed to bump a movie thread. If so, I am sorry. But they came out with an awesome new trailer.

It's off-topic so I am sure it's fine.
    And I like to avoid trailers during the waning weeks before release.

I'll put it in a spoiler tag. You should edit yours, and put that one in a spoiler tag as well.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
  • I also didn't like the first Fantastic Beasts all that much upon my first viewing. I want to see it again to give it a second chance though. The second looks like it's going to be really good though and really start moving whatever story they have going on forward.

I'm a really big fan of the Harry Potter movies and only just finally started reading the books the past few months. I'm about to start Half Blood Prince and I have to say, I never thought I'd ever be a Potterhead but sure enough, I think I'll have to admit to being one. JK Rowling is fantastic and the universe she created feels as rich as Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. There is so much potential for future stories even after the 5 Beasts movies they have planned.
    Valid Token Confirmed.

fyq20437essy.png
  • I like how JK Rowling would never allow American actors in the original HP movies. But now she has a villain from Kentucky. I am sorry, but Grindelwald looks like a way better villain the Voldemort, and Voldemort was awesome.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
  • I like how JK Rowling would never allow American actors in the original HP movies. But now she has a villain from Kentucky. I am sorry, but Grindelwald looks like a way better villain the Voldemort, and Voldemort was awesome.

Grindelwald is also British
    0np8u7zs8tne.gif

Grindelwald is also British

Yep, but Johnny Depp is from Kentucky.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
  • Y'all ready for next week?! Remember, no spoilers.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
  • Midichlorian
    1379 posts Member
    edited November 11
    Y'all ready for next week?! Remember, no spoilers.
    Yeah I have my tickets.
    Seeing with my friend who
    I took to his first MCU film in theaters (Winter Soldier)
    Took me to see my first Star Wars film in theaters (Phantom Menace 3D).
    We are both already HP experts though.
    Post edited by Midichlorian on
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif
  • Y'all ready for next week?! Remember, no spoilers.

Yes!!
    0np8u7zs8tne.gif
  • IronSoldier
    2165 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    edited November 11
    As per the above couple of posts. Can we contain spoilers to the spoiler tags
    like so

Shall be seeing this. Reviews have been lower than expected but heyyyy it's part of the winter movie season marathon where im visiting the cinema 4 times a week.
  • Just saw it, pretty great!
    Suffers from pacing and structure as a film, story and narrative wise, it's phenomanal.
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif
    Suffers from pacing and structure as a film, story and narrative wise, it's phenomanal.

Haha, I JUST saw it too! A lot of structure stuff is very clear as setup for later movies in the series
    0np8u7zs8tne.gif

I want to see it so badly!
    jexdw69dwod3.png
  • IronSoldier
    The day has finally come. Seeing the film this evening >:)
  • The day has finally come. Seeing the film this evening >:)
    welp if you ever feel the need to use the restroom during the film feel free to do so at any time.
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif
    welp if you ever feel the need to use the restroom during the film feel free to do so at any time.

Actually don’t because the film is tons of setup and plot developments for the series
    0np8u7zs8tne.gif

Actually don’t because the film is tons of setup and plot developments for the series
    Well its a movie in a movie series, not an episode of a TV show.

Each film should stand on its own, with scenes, moments and stories that completely set it apart from other installments in the franchise.

Like Iron Man & The Incredible Hulk may not be perfect movies, but thy have a beggining, middle and end. They are perfect both as a standalone movie without a sequel, or as an franchise installment. Fantastic Beasts 1 may not be perfect but is unique and feels like its own thing compared to FB-2 which a clustered mess in comparison
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif

Each film should stand on its own, with scenes, moments and stories that completely set it apart from other installments in the franchise.

Like Iron Man & The Incredible Hulk may not be perfect movies, but thy have a beggining, middle and end. They are perfect both as a standalone movie without a sequel, or as an franchise installment. Fantastic Beasts 1 may not be perfect but is unique and feels like its own thing compared to FB-2 which a clustered mess in comparison

I don’t know, I think movies in a series should have some allowance to feel like just a fraction of a really long 12 hour movie
    0np8u7zs8tne.gif
  • I am disinterested in the movie after I read a review. There are certain things that I am against. Please don't ask me what they are. Hope y'all enjoyed it though.
    itt96uodu82s.gif

I don’t know, I think movies in a series should have some allowance to feel like just a fraction of a really long 12 hour movie
    And that should be saved for the very ending, epilogue or post-credits.

Small scene at the end of Batman Begins which foreshadows that the emergence of Batman has consequences which will be seen in The Dark Knight. Other than that the film is only about Bruce Wayne's path to becoming Batman and R'as Al Ghul.

First sequel set-up is after the credits have rolled
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif
  • IronSoldier
    Saw it. As per reviews. Really well made but they tried to put too much in one package. It became a little convoluted and didn't have the famous charm.

• MyLittleGreenFriend
    2344 posts Member
    edited November 28
    Hmm... it's alright. I really love anything Dumbledore or Grindelwald but the other characters are kind of meh.
    I found it disturbing that Quinee (almost sure I spelled that wrong) joined Grindelwald (probably spelled that wrong too) and I didn't like Credence's reveal. But a lot of the action was good.
    Post edited by MyLittleGreenFriend on
    jexdw69dwod3.png
  • IronSoldier
    Hmm... it's alright. I really love anything Dumbledore or Grindelwand but the other characters are kind of meh.
    I found it disturbing that Quinee (almost sure I spelled that wrong) joined Grindelwand (probably spelled that wrong too) and I didn't like Credence's reveal. But a lot of the action was good.

Quite the same opinion really.
    Not a fan of this Credence ark and bringing him back from the dead. Dumbledore is the name and money is the game :(