criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Triple AAA Star Wars game and this is the live service we get?

A_C0NFU53D_SH03
581 posts Member
edited August 2018
I love that were finally getting clone wars...But the live service is terrible. I would never expect this from a AAA game let alone star wars. I'm very disappointed in the incompetence. Some people can't even get into games. Where's the promised hotfix? What have they been doing at the studio since Ben was gone? I picture them kicking their feet up on the desks eating donuts...

Replies

• We need Ben to recover quicker so he can put them in check. Help me Ben Walke, your my only hope.
  • The only thing EA probably cares about Star Wars is how much money they can make out of it.
    Army or not, you must realize....you are doomed.
    tumblr_m83kl8wd161rv3w3po2_500.gif
  • Versatti
    1806 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Remove lootboxes, no more money, little content.

But there could be way more money for them if they actually released skins... makes little sense.

That still won’t be anywhere near as lucrative as the loot box system. Which is why I was surprised they didn’t split skins into 10 collectible parts, farmable in loot boxes.

• hsf_
    1617 posts Member
    Versatti wrote: »

But there could be way more money for them if they actually released skins... makes little sense.

That still won’t be anywhere near as lucrative as the loot box system. Which is why I was surprised they didn’t split skins into 10 collectible parts, farmable in loot boxes.

Jesus Christ... It becomes a real sorry state when you're surprised the most horrific thing possible doesn't happen. It should be a surprise that the horrific thing happens, not the other way around. Video gaming industries future is looking bleak.
  • The only thing EA probably cares about Star Wars is how much money they can make out of it.

Let me fix this for you: every company in the world, not just EA and DICE, are looking to cash in on everything humanly possible. The fact EA concluded a contract with exclusive rights to Star Wars is just one example of a company looking to make money. Disney buying Star Wars is another. George Lucas creating Star Wars was an exceptionally successful (and unexpected) way of making a ridiculous amount of money.
  • DrX2345
    2888 posts Member
    Ciena_Ree wrote: »
    The only thing EA probably cares about Star Wars is how much money they can make out of it.

Let me fix this for you: every company in the world, not just EA and DICE, are looking to cash in on everything humanly possible. The fact EA concluded a contract with exclusive rights to Star Wars is just one example of a company looking to make money. Disney buying Star Wars is another. George Lucas creating Star Wars was an exceptionally successful (and unexpected) way of making a ridiculous amount of money.
    2ist5h0dgppa.gif
    ^this^
    A business does not make products out of the goodness of its heart, it makes products to make money, normally as much as possible. So yes, @WarfareKiller41 is right because the Star Wars franchise is generally a great money-making franchise, so they're going to try and make as much money as possible out of it. What I'm surprised about is how they seem to have abandoned the game somewhat, allocating only a small dev team (although I think they might bring some of the devs back after BFV launches) and not concentrating on getting as many cosmetics out as possible.
    OOM19 wrote: »

Imagine it

A horde of Bipedal Millennium Falcons with cheeseburgers for legs
    If there seems to be random words or phrases in my post that don't make sense, blame Autocorrect.
    #COOMCAIBDJF
  • there's nobody in the studio, the few part time devs left are a myth!... :)
  • DrX2345
    2888 posts Member
    moonalien wrote: »
    there's nobody in the studio, the few part time devs left are a myth!... :)
    So what, it's the game development fairies who are making what contempt and updates we do get? Seems legit.

Imagine it

If there seems to be random words or phrases in my post that don't make sense, blame Autocorrect.
    #COOMCAIBDJF
  • Versatti
    1806 posts Member
    hsf_ wrote: »

Jesus Christ... It becomes a real sorry state when you're surprised the most horrific thing possible doesn't happen. It should be a surprise that the horrific thing happens, not the other way around. Video gaming industries future is looking bleak.

The reality of the situation is this... without a cash influx it’s game over after Geo and you’re more likely to entice the likes of me (who has no interest in buying skins for $) to part with my money if I’m missing piece 1/10 for my robot Darth Maul legs.

Also don’t be so dramatic, cosmetics are ‘nice to have’ not essential. Horrific would be adopting a similar approach for new Weapons/Star Cards for obvious reasons.
  • hsf_
    1617 posts Member
    edited August 2018

The reality of the situation is this... without a cash influx it’s game over after Geo and you’re more likely to entice the likes of me (who has no interest in buying skins for $) to part with my money if I’m missing piece 1/10 for my robot Darth Maul legs.

Also don’t be so dramatic, cosmetics are ‘nice to have’ not essential. Horrific would be adopting a similar approach for new Weapons/Star Cards for obvious reasons.

In 2001 when I first started gaming, when games were released they were finished products. Story lines completed, bugs minimised and crashes were not the norm.
    Fast forward to today and you have "Early Access" and "Live service updates" as well as progression systems being monetized and every part of the game costing you either money or stupid amounts of time. Couple that with the replayability being minimal, as the difficulty of modern games(Dark Souls aside) are laughable. Everything is tied into making as much profit as possible, rather than making a proft and delivering a worthy entertaining experience.

Video gaming is becoming like movies... Loads of crap released with maybe 1 game every few years which is actually good...

Edit: And you've missed my point entirely. This guy was expecting skins to be collected via loot crates like the **** in Battlefield 1... Once you complete the **** you get the skin(3 parts per puzzle)... By the way, I am yet to complete a puzzle on Battlefield 1 and I have 450hours on that game...
  • Versatti
    1806 posts Member

In 2001 when I first started gaming, when games were released they were finished products. Story lines completed, bugs minimised and crashes were not the norm.
    Fast forward to today and you have "Early Access" and "Live service updates" as well as progression systems being monetized and every part of the game costing you either money or **** amounts of time. Couple that with the replayability being minimal, as the difficulty of modern games(Dark Souls aside) are laughable. Everything is tied into making as much profit as possible, rather than making a proft and delivering a worthy entertaining experience.

Video gaming is becoming like movies... Loads of **** released with maybe 1 game every few years which is actually good...

Edit: And you've missed my point entirely. This guy was expecting skins to be collected via loot crates like the **** in Battlefield 1... Once you complete the **** you get the skin(3 parts per puzzle)... By the way, I am yet to complete a puzzle on Battlefield 1 and I have 450hours on that game...

I played Star Wars Galaxies for many years which actually had a subscription and like similar games of that genre I’ve no doubt they are responsible for the direction the gaming industry has taken with micro-transactions, map packs, DLCs etc.

My point was that skins (alone) will never make up for the amount of revenue EA was expecting from loot boxes. We’ve paid our $60 and I expect a certain commitment to support the game for that amount, however being a realist, I also understand that no cash influx = no support/new content.

• DrX2345
    2888 posts Member

Fast forward to today and you have "Early Access" and "Live service updates" as well as progression systems being monetized and every part of the game costing you either money or **** amounts of time. Couple that with the replayability being minimal, as the difficulty of modern games(Dark Souls aside) are laughable. Everything is tied into making as much profit as possible, rather than making a proft and delivering a worthy entertaining experience.

Video gaming is becoming like movies... Loads of **** released with maybe 1 game every few years which is actually good...

I played Star Wars Galaxies for many years which actually had a subscription and like similar games of that genre I’ve no doubt they are responsible for the direction the gaming industry has taken with micro-transactions, map packs, DLCs etc.

My point was that skins (alone) will never make up for the amount of revenue EA was expecting from loot boxes. We’ve paid our $60 and I expect a certain commitment to support the game for that amount, however being a realist, I also understand that no cash influx = no support/new content.
    Thank you. I don't get these people who boycott the game/anything involving maybe supporting the game, then trash the devs, the game, the companies, the players, the players' mothers, etc because the game isn't supported as much as they think it should be and there's not much new content. It's like the whole 'oh boycott Solo because it's not the movie we wanted' thing - which kinda backfired, because it led to them considering/actually stopping making anthology movies because they weren't doing as well as expected (I can't remember which one).
    Ok, so this game was kind of unsupportable for quite a few months as there wasn't anything to spend money on, you could only play, but now there are some skins (admittedly they need a lot more) I think people who are complaining about the lack of content should maybe go buy some, just so the executive people can go 'oh look the game is earning money, maybe we should continue supporting it'.

Imagine it

#COOMCAIBDJF
  • hsf_ wrote: »

^^This^^
    You’ve hit the nail bang on the head, there! I know EA aren’t the ONLY ones to blame, but they are the leading culprits of said practices. They need to get it in to their heads that we don’t want all this access to what is essentially buggy, glitchy and broken messes. We want thorough testing, before anything is released. Beta’s can be given a little bit of leeway, since they are exactly that.. Beta’s. They’re not the finalised or finished product. Still, we expect a certain amount and level of stability and testing to be done, before even a Beta is made publicly available.

Look at what EA/DICE did with Battlefront II.. They showed the “Pre-Alpha” footage at E3, last year. Which hyped us all up for the game, after seeing (baring in mind it was shown on PC platforms, NOT console). We then, played the Beta.. Which was basically no different. So, how the hell they can call it a “Beta”, I’ve no idea.
    To go from “Pre-Alpha” to “Beta”, there has to be development PROGRESS, not just a rename of the build. But as enticing as it looked.. They were so eager to rush the game out the door that they basically just stuck with exactly what they showed at E3 and then added on the game’s full content.. Next to no game testing at all. Certainly not THOROUGH game testing, in the slightest. And what did we ultimately get, at launch? A buggy, glitchy, unbalanced mess that should’ve been handled far better during quality control and we’re still paying the price for that, right now.. Just because EA wanted to capitalise on a release date and try to make as much money as possible. The whole “loot boxes being heavily linked with progression” fiasco is evidence and proof enough of that.
  • SWymsa
    823 posts Member

100 of millions in sales but they need to nickel and dime people to support the game?
    Okay... :smiley:

Smells more like EA being vindictive for getting spanked over Lootfront.
  • mastery0ta
    5760 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    I miss the ******* season pass that's what I miss
  • I love that were finally getting clone wars...But the live service is terrible. I would never expect this from a AAA game let alone star wars. I'm very disappointed in the incompetence. Some people can't even get into games. Where's the promised hotfix? What have they been doing at the studio since Ben was gone? I picture them kicking their feet up on the desks eating donuts...

" the desks eating donuts..." ....they are on Sweden?
  • I love that were finally getting clone wars...But the live service is terrible. I would never expect this from a AAA game let alone star wars. I'm very disappointed in the incompetence. Some people can't even get into games. Where's the promised hotfix? What have they been doing at the studio since Ben was gone? I picture them kicking their feet up on the desks eating donuts...

" the desks eating donuts..." ....they are on Sweden?

I thought Ben was the only one on vacation?