criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

First Order TIE Interceptor?

FriedPizza773
1163 posts Member
edited October 2018
As we all know, the First Order's Interceptor-class ship is the TIE/sf Fighter (as it used Star Cards designed for the Interceptor-class ships), but I think we can all agree (including the devs) that this ship isn't really a true interceptor. In fact, this ship also uses the Fighter-class icon 6pr6f0gf883j.png, instead of the Interceptor-class icon 5pqm1xkqe4jx.png. This could probably means that the TIE/sf Fighter is only temporally designed as an Interceptor-class for the First Order to make up for the time being until they get a real interceptor ship in the future (and be the rightful RZ-2 A-Wing's counterpart), at least I hope that is the case.

If Star Wars Episode 9 will officially introduce some kind of First Order TIE Interceptor or maybe some other kind of Interceptor ships for the First Order, then it makes sense to finally introduce that new Interceptor into BF2. If that happens, it also makes sense to redesign the TIE/sf Fighter into a true Fighter-class ship by having the same amount of Health as the TIE/fo Fighter, replace the Concussion Missile with the Proton Torpedo, and uses the Fighter-class Star Cards. Interestingly, this would also means that the First Order would have 2 different kinds of Fighter-class ships, with the only main differences is their respective middle abilities (one with Laser Barrage, and the other with Turret Gunner).

If Star Wars Episode 9 or any other Star Wars medias will not officially introduce a main Interceptor ship for the First Order, then perhaps Dice could try to design their own First Order Interceptor, and hopefully get approval by Lucasfilm. Here are plenty of images that show some of the custom designs First Order TIEs--perhaps Dice can use them as concept arts when working to design an Interceptor ship for the First Order.

84k1xl5d0q1x.png

EDIT: I can now confirm that the First Order officially has their own version of the TIE Interceptor, and look how beautiful it is! :heart:
ep2rwwxa9zvh.png
It would be very nice to have this ship as a true Interceptor-class Ship for the First Order, only I believe it should simply be black with white-coroled solar panels on its wings as a standard color just like the other First Order's TIEs.

This red TIE Interceptor you see here belongs to Elrik Vonreg, a major character from Star Wars Resistance. I've already made another thread to suggest to include this as a new DS Hero Ship, if you wanna check it out.
PSN: FriedPizza773
Post edited by FriedPizza773 on

Replies

• Lol. 1 week later after episode 8: Hey, here's another ship in our infinite arsenal of a broken regime.
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • Lol. 1 week later after episode 8: Hey, here's another ship in our infinite arsenal of a broken regime.

I mean, they've spent decades building nothing but destroyers, fighters, weapons, and armor, so I wouldn't doubt them having an everlasting freck-load of literally anything.
  • DrX2345
    2888 posts Member
    Tbh the First Order Navy fleet is actually really badly designed, if what we saw in Episode 8 was anything to go by. There's way to much focus on the larger ships, as they only have Star Destroyers/large capital ships and TIE fighters, nothing in between, which is why the Resistance were able to outrun them for so long. If they'd had some corvettes, smaller ships that are faster than capital ships but still packing a lot of firepower, then they could easily have caught up to them, given them some bo ardent and weakened the shields or destroyed them. Obviously it wouldn't be great from a plot point of view, but strategy wise it's actually a poorly designed fleet.
    OOM19 wrote: »

Imagine it

A horde of Bipedal Millennium Falcons with cheeseburgers for legs
    If there seems to be random words or phrases in my post that don't make sense, blame Autocorrect.
    #COOMCAIBDJF
  • DrX2345 wrote: »
    Tbh the First Order Navy fleet is actually really badly designed, if what we saw in Episode 8 was anything to go by. There's way to much focus on the larger ships, as they only have Star Destroyers/large capital ships and TIE fighters, nothing in between, which is why the Resistance were able to outrun them for so long. If they'd had some corvettes, smaller ships that are faster than capital ships but still packing a lot of firepower, then they could easily have caught up to them, given them some bo ardent and weakened the shields or destroyed them. Obviously it wouldn't be great from a plot point of view, but strategy wise it's actually a poorly designed fleet.

At least they have that idea from the Empire. Overwhelming force through size and numbers. At least the First Order made their TIEs less like mindless fodder and more like an actual fighter.
  • FriedPizza773
    1163 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Lol. 1 week later after episode 8: Hey, here's another ship in our infinite arsenal of a broken regime.

I mean, they've spent decades building nothing but destroyers, fighters, weapons, and armor, so I wouldn't doubt them having an everlasting freck-load of literally anything.

Agreed! There is a possibility that we have not yet seen more of the First Order's assets. There is this video suggesting that a huge fleet of the First Order chasing down the last remaining Resistance was only just a small portion, as the rest of them are already moving in to conquer the galaxy. This could mean that the First Order is a military faction so large that there might be a good chance that they have more assets than what we already know so far.

Agreed! There is a possibility that we have not yet seen more of the First Order's assets. There is this video that suggest that a huge fleet of the First Order chasing down the last remaining Resistance was only just a small portion, as the rest of them are already moving in to conquer the galaxy. This could mean that the First Order is a military faction so large that there might be a good chance that they have more assets than what we already know so far.

So large, they can become the Empire again and thwart the Rebe.....I mean Resistance. All 20 that are left.
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • Give up my rear cannon? No way because that thing is a million laughs...
    EA/DICE still owe me 83 crafting part crates, with interest...

Agreed! There is a possibility that we have not yet seen more of the First Order's assets. There is this video that suggest that a huge fleet of the First Order chasing down the last remaining Resistance was only just a small portion, as the rest of them are already moving in to conquer the galaxy. This could mean that the First Order is a military faction so large that there might be a good chance that they have more assets than what we already know so far.

And in the campaign (which is basically canon at this point without clear and obvious confirmation in literally every media outlet possible), the rest of the massive fleet the Order has is currently moving on the rest of the galaxy to beat every system into submission now that the Republic doesn't exist anymore.

I also like the interceptor, and don't want to lose either of them (though I prefer the SF fighters), though I kinda wish there were a Resistance and First Order Bomber.
    Also Hero Ships use the Bomber icon, even though there is a different icon for them in the scoreboard screen (or the character selector screen, or both).

#JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget

If you carefully read the original post--especially the second paragraph--you would've realized it's not about removing the TIE/sf entirely from the game, but rather redesign it to be a Fighter-class along with the TIE/fo, which to me it would make more sense.

And in the campaign (which is basically canon at this point without clear and obvious confirmation in literally every media outlet possible), the rest of the massive fleet the Order has is currently moving on the rest of the galaxy to beat every system into submission now that the Republic doesn't exist anymore.

Yes! The First Order will swiftly rule the galaxy in a blink of an eye. Thanks to Starkiller Base, they did not even need to directly confront the New Republic. They will win in an easy way, rather than the hard way. :naughty:

I'm looking forward for Episode 9 to see how the galaxy has become.
  • If I remember, before TLJ was released in theaters, there was some concept released of the battle on Crait that showed First Order TIE bomber flying over the battlefield. I'm not sure if they're considered canon, but it does seem like they where intended to be in the movie at some point.

As for the TIE/SF being in the Interceptor class, I'm fine with that. In fact the Special Forces class of TIE fighters were intended to be much more advanced models with "the speed of an interceptor and the strength of a bomber".

The only thing that bugs me about it is the fact that the TIE/SF is so slow, even with the fully upgraded engine it's still slower that the TIE/FO, so to fix it it should at least match the speed of an A-Wing.

Yes! The First Order will swiftly rule the galaxy in a blink of an eye. Thanks to Starkiller Base, they did not even need to directly confront the New Republic. They will win in an easy way, rather than the hard way. :naughty:

I'm excited fot the "all-out war" some of the actors have said it will be. Been too long since we actually focused on the war aspect of Star Wars. Episode III did it for a little bit at the beginning, but pushed it aside once the heroes made it on the ship.
  • I think the TIE/sf should become a reinforcement if they ever come along, being the First Order equivalent of the TIE Defender.
    For the EMPIRE!
  • I think of the TIE/sf as more of a strike/stealth bomber. I’d really like if they reimagined the TIE hunter or TIE avenger as a true dedicated interceptor.
    j4ozezfg84ln.jpeg
    cbtdbhjyc2vq.jpeg
    Both kind of have that FO aesthetic already.
    You’re right @DrX2345 the FO fleet and armor design does kind of suck though in the bigger is better strategy. Poe would’ve been shot down immediately in Ep.8 if they had any corvettes/gunboats/light frigates to speak of. They could have easily caught up to and destroyed their cruiser if they had any middle sized star destroyers in the same class as a Victory-I or Venator.
    I would win for the exact same reasons in the old RTS Empire at War by letting other players build huge fleets of cruisers in formation; all the while I built light frigates and small carriers to slip right in and and take out their space station and take out the engines of every cruiser before they could turn to attack. My space combat record was nearly flawless because of that strategy lol
    The resistance won overall by accident and the FO’s stupidity in low fleet diversity
    jar-jar-binks-dancing-gif-3.gif
  • FriedPizza773
    1163 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Unwarycoin wrote: »
    Give up my rear cannon? No way because that thing is a million laughs...

I also like the interceptor, and don't want to lose either of them (though I prefer the SF fighters), though I kinda wish there were a Resistance and First Order Bomber.
    Also Hero Ships use the Bomber icon, even though there is a different icon for them in the scoreboard screen (or the character selector screen, or both).

I have created one of my threads with the topic about a Bomber-class ships for the First Order and the Resistance. If you are interested, you can check it out. :)

And as for the Hero Ships using the Bomber icon, that happens to be a bug. In the past, Iden's TIE Fighter and Tallie's A-Wing icons was bugged as they were replaced by Bomber icon, but then was fixed. Now it appears that the same bug has returned, only this time I saw it on Poe's X-Wing (have yet to notice on other Hero ships). :(

I'm excited fot the "all-out war" some of the actors have said it will be. Been too long since we actually focused on the war aspect of Star Wars. Episode III did it for a little bit at the beginning, but pushed it aside once the heroes made it on the ship.

So hyped for it. I am hoping for some of the Guerilla warfare Boyega has been hinting at.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • I wish the First Order TIEs had a tad more originality and, well... practicality. The original Galactic Civil War era TIE Fighter is iconic, no doubt, but it's also wickedly impractical for a fighter. An already limited-view porthole of a cockpit is exacerbated by the wing panels obstructing the side view, and said wings are attached via very thin
    I'm overthinking this, sure, but I wish the Sequels pushed it just a tad more with their ship design. They did it with the Stormies, I wish the vehicles had more distinct shapes. Yeah, their colors are reversed, they added a gunner position (with 90 degrees of movement in the back), but to me me they're quite superficial changes. They don't deal with the cockpit or obstructed wings, it just feels a tad too nostalgia-pandering.
    Sorry this became less an echoing of your sentiments for a proper First Order Interceptor/Bomber in the game and more a rant about the ST's ship design... but oh well. On another note, the TIE Interceptor in-game is one of my least favorite ships, so... yeah. I do want more ships, I just hope they give some slight buffs to the FO and TIE Interceptor as well. I have a bone to pick with whoever thought Concussion Missiles were a good ability.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • Meh, I'd rather see bombers for the prequel era than interceptors
  • JMaster wrote: »
    I wish the First Order TIEs had a tad more originality and, well... practicality. The original Galactic Civil War era TIE Fighter is iconic, no doubt, but it's also wickedly impractical for a fighter. An already limited-view porthole of a cockpit is exacerbated by the wing panels obstructing the side view, and said wings are attached via very thin
    I'm overthinking this, sure, but I wish the Sequels pushed it just a tad more with their ship design. They did it with the Stormies, I wish the vehicles had more distinct shapes. Yeah, their colors are reversed, they added a gunner position (with 90 degrees of movement in the back), but to me me they're quite superficial changes. They don't deal with the cockpit or obstructed wings, it just feels a tad too nostalgia-pandering.
    Sorry this became less an echoing of your sentiments for a proper First Order Interceptor/Bomber in the game and more a rant about the ST's ship design... but oh well. On another note, the TIE Interceptor in-game is one of my least favorite ships, so... yeah. I do want more ships, I just hope they give some slight buffs to the FO and TIE Interceptor as well. I have a bone to pick with whoever thought Concussion Missiles were a good ability.

Completely agree
    For the EMPIRE!

I’m sure you mean Sequel
    For the EMPIRE!
    I wish the First Order TIEs had a tad more originality and, well... practicality. The original Galactic Civil War era TIE Fighter is iconic, no doubt, but it's also wickedly impractical for a fighter. An already limited-view porthole of a cockpit is exacerbated by the wing panels obstructing the side view, and said wings are attached via very thin

The FO TIE is infinitely more practical than the Imperial one. It has actualy shields and can use missiles and the Special Forces variant can actually defend itself against tailing enemies. It's more practical in every possible way.

The FO TIE is infinitely more practical than the Imperial one. It has actualy shields and can use missiles and the Special Forces variant can actually defend itself against tailing enemies. It's more practical in every possible way.
    Oh no, I'm not saying there's no improvement, but I feel that visually they could have pushed the design just a tad bit more. If they had given the ships a more Interceptor-like wing arrangement, but with the bottom part removed, that would give them a full 360-bottom view for the turret, give the FO TIEs a better peripheral view, and- in my humble opinion- look fiercer and more distinct to the Order. Again, that's just me.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
    JMaster wrote: »

Oh no, I'm not saying there's no improvement, but I feel that visually they could have pushed the design just a tad bit more. If they had given the ships a more Interceptor-like wing arrangement, but with the bottom part removed, that would give them a full 360-bottom view for the turret, give the FO TIEs a better peripheral view, and- in my humble opinion- look fiercer and more distinct to the Order. Again, that's just me.

Well, they considered themselves just the future Empire, so just the same thing but better fits in. It's definitely more diverse than Legends that had literally everything the same, even decades after in the time of Darth Caedus.
  • I love the Tie SF Fighter, and want figures of it because of this game.

#JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget
  • TIEs (excluding the bomber) all feel like they're made of paper and die within a second of engagement. Which is all well and good, gives you that feel of authenticity. But the entire point of TIEs is overwhelming numbers, and you always have the same amount of players on the field in each faction. Rebel/Resistance have a clear advantage over Empire/FO in every engagement.
  • News flash guys!!! A brand new First Order's TIE Interceptor has been officially revealed...or at least it seems to be!

Perhaps this is the new ship's model that Dice should use as the First Order's true Interceptor-class, though to make it look more like a regular ship the color should be black with white-colored solar panels just like the First Order's TIE Fighter, but that's only my opinion

(For the first video, watch between 0:57 to 1:37 to see what appears to be some kind of the red TIE Interceptor)

And for the possibility to suggest for this new red TIE Interceptor as a Hero Ship in the game, click here to go to my other thread.
  • I think the TIE/sf should become a reinforcement if they ever come along, being the First Order equivalent of the TIE Defender.

That could also be a possibility, but then what would it be Resistance's reinforcement to be the counterpart to the TIE/sf? Without the counterpart, the FO would probably dominate SA more easily when spawning a few of stronger-stand-regular ships (but still weaker than the Hero Ships) just because the Resistance does not have their own, unless they would have B-Wings.

But who knows? Only time will tell.
  • TIEs (excluding the bomber) all feel like they're made of paper and die within a second of engagement. Which is all well and good, gives you that feel of authenticity. But the entire point of TIEs is overwhelming numbers, and you always have the same amount of players on the field in each faction. Rebel/Resistance have a clear advantage over Empire/FO in every engagement.

The First Order is superior to the old Imperial TIE in literally every way. In game or in canon lore.
  • FriedPizza773
    1163 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    If I remember, before TLJ was released in theaters, there was some concept released of the battle on Crait that showed First Order TIE bomber flying over the battlefield. I'm not sure if they're considered canon, but it does seem like they where intended to be in the movie at some point.

As for the TIE/SF being in the Interceptor class, I'm fine with that. In fact the Special Forces class of TIE fighters were intended to be much more advanced models with "the speed of an interceptor and the strength of a bomber".

The only thing that bugs me about it is the fact that the TIE/SF is so slow, even with the fully upgraded engine it's still slower that the TIE/FO, so to fix it it should at least match the speed of an A-Wing.

Well...I guess I don't mind too much to consider keeping the TIE/sf as an Interceptor class just the way it is if the First Order does not (or will not) have any ships that could've be more fitting--it's better than nothing.

But let's be honest, if the TIE/fo was meant to be kept as a Fighter-class while the TIE/sf models are authentically the stronger version and more heavily armed than the TIE/fo, then it does not make sense to me to consider the TIE/sf a true Interceptor ship. Being an real Interceptor means much less heavily armed and less defenses but also very speedy and nimble. Of course BF2 cannot be absolutely 100% authentic on everything, but still...

So in my opinion it makes more sense to turn the TIE/sf also into a Fighter-class (and co-exist with the TIE/fo), or perhaps even turn it into a Special Unit as @UrbanGlitch already mentioned (to act as a Fighter-class that are a bit stronger than a regular Fighter-class like the current TIE/fo, but still weaker than the Hero's Fighter-class ships like Iden's TIE Fighter).

Also it's important to note that there is no known official information about the top speed of both the TIE/fo and TIE/sf, so nobody knows exactly how fast they both are at the moment (though it is assumed that they might be just a bit faster than the Empire's TIE Fighter). But when both versions are seen flying together from the movies (TFA and TLJ), they look like they go just about the same speed, at least speaking hypothetically.

And speaking of speed...are you sure you can confirm that the TIE/sf is slower than the TIE/fo in BF2? Because I flown both of these models a lot and I never noticed the differences in the speed. It did felt slower than the A-Wing, but also felt about the same top speed as the TIE/fo to me. Do you have any possible sources that can help me see this clearer?

I think you misspoke. I believe you are referring to the sequel bombers because, of course, we already have the prequel bombers.

I have already created my own thread about the Sequel bombers if you want to check it out.
  • The problem with sequel bombers for the Resistance is that there's not reliable bomber that we know of. Y-wings would be the first to come to mind, right? But those were already decades old when adopted into the Rebel fleet, so countless more decades on them would just have them suffering in fight due to beyond outdated design and tech.
  • Bumping this thread after I edited my first post as an OP. Please check it out and tell me what you guys think.
  • Hmm, I feel like Vonregs yet unnamed interceptor-like First Order fighter would probably deserve a spot as a hero (resistance are the villains after all) ship, considering the imbalance between the sides at that front.
    As for the interceptor-problem, I would just recommend to switch both First Order TIE versions, along some tweaks of course. After all the sf has improved shields, a heavy turret, a munitions launcher and a hyperdrive over the fo amongst other things. This makes it a much heavier ship than it's little brother, which is even represented in the maneuver options of its tabletop version. The fo on the other hand is a fast and nimble dogfighter. Sounds like the textbook description of an interceptor to me. Gameplay wise it would make sense to, because of the turret not being that useful atm with that low interceptor-class health.
  • FriedPizza773
    1163 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    I got interesting news to report. I don't know since when, but yesterday I just noticed that the TIE/sf now uses the Interceptor-class icon 5pqm1xkqe4jx.png that you can see in the Scoreboard much to my surprise, thus no longer uses the Fighter-class icon 6pr6f0gf883j.png. When you play SA on Crait or Unknown Regions and see the Scoreboard, you can now tell which players is using the TIE/sf or TIE/fo.

I don't know why, but it's possible that the TIE/sf was probably using the wrong icon all this time, either due to a bug or simply an error design by the developers. However, we still don't know whether the First Order will officially get the TIE Interceptor in place of a Interceptor-class, and perhaps redesign the TIE/sf into a Fighter-class or something (but I hope that's the case). Only time will tell.
  • I really enjoy the fo sf tie, one of my favourite ships from the new trilogy. Not sure if someone else has mentioned this as it's a lot of posts to read.
    I believe the first Canon look of the first order interceptor was shown in the first ep of resistance. Not sure if this is the final version when 7/8 movies are set or a temp between 6-7 ship.