criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

August Update: The Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II Roadmap

Prev1
F8RGE
308 posts EA Community Manager
edited August 30
swbf2-seasons-calendar-fall-spring.jpg

Today, we’re giving you an updated view of the Roadmap for Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II. Kicking off with September, the Roadmap outlines planned content drops* for much of 2018. Also, we’re revealing what’s currently scoped for the winter season.

To learn more about what’s coming and has come in August, don’t miss our rundown of the Elite Corps Update.

September – The Improved Squad System Is Coming

September will mark the arrival of the new Squad System, bringing the ability for players to spawn on squad members, available first in Galactic Assault, Blast, and Strike modes. Aimed to encourage team play, the Squad System is an improved and streamlined way for players to stick together in Star Wars Battlefront II.

The 91st Mobile Reconnaissance Corps and 104th Wolfpack Battalion are also coming in September. The additional clone trooper Appearances are joining the ranks of the Galactic Republic.

The Squad System, supplementary Appearances, and more, will be detailed separately here on the official Star Wars Battlefront II website closer to the September drop date.

October – All About General Grievous

The first of the heroes announced at EA PLAY, General Grievous, is debuting in Star Wars Battlefront II this October. The droid army general will be joining his villainous peers on the dark side, certainly looking to add to his collection of Jedi lightsabers.

November – The Month of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Geonosis

Countering General Grievous, Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi is reinforcing the light side of the Force in November. Obi-Wan will be able to demonstrate his heroic abilities in our newest Galactic Assault map, Geonosis. Releasing in November, the new location is known as a major theatre of conflict during the Clone Wars. Traversing the Geonosian home world will be even more exciting with the addition of three new vehicles: the STAP, the BARC speeder, and the AT-TE.

Also in November, the 212th Attack Battalion clone soldiers are approaching – made available as trooper Appearances for the Galactic Republic. These soldiers notably aided Obi-Wan in his hunt for General Grievous.

Winter – Count Dooku, New Large-Scale Mode, Anakin Skywalker, and More

Count Dooku, Yoda’s old Padawan who turned to the dark side with a thirst for more power, is bringing his menace to Star Wars Battlefront II.

The Coruscant Guard – an elite division of clone troopers originally serving as peacekeepers on the Republic capital planet of Coruscant – will be available as trooper Appearances for the Galactic Republic, too.

And, we’re excited to be releasing a new mode in Star Wars Battlefront II, a non-linear Star Wars sandbox experience. In this mode two teams battle for capture points and to ultimately bring down capital ships.

If all that wasn’t enough, for the first time, Anakin Skywalker becoming playable as a hero for the light side. Famously under Anakin’s lead during the Clone Wars, and later known as “Vader’s Fist,” the 501st Legion clone trooper Appearances* also come into play during this period.

General Grievous, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Count Dooku, and Anakin Skywalker will all get additional Appearances as well.

More content and features are still to be confirmed, but we wanted to give you this advance look into what’s coming up. Also note that things might move around, be added, or changed. That’s why we’ll come back in September with another look at the Roadmap, covering upcoming months in more detail. Efforts such as improvements on matchmaking, daily challenges, map rotation, bug fixing, and balancing are ongoing, too.

Replies

• IronSoldier
    2126 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    Noice :D
  • Odi
    56 posts Member
    Very cool! But what does the * mean or reference to at "...content drops*" and "... Appearances*"?
  • Odi wrote: »
    Very cool! But what does the * mean or reference to at "...content drops*" and "... Appearances*"?

Good question!
  • Overall, happy with the content in the road map. I suppose I'm a little disappointed with how Obi-Wan and Grievous are coming in separate months (I'm assuming Anakin and Dooku will be as well), but overall I'm excited. Especially for the AT-TE on Geonosis, really looking forward to that since it's not on rails!
  • live stream coming to hype Grievous?
  • The squad system that I have missed so much is on it's way. Color me happy.
    My youtube channel Star Wars Battlefront, Battlefield 4 etc gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF4zDYJfLp_rvcKzALVEXHA?view_as=subscriber
  • also by squad system do you mean the same one from bf2015 or something different?
  • Zepapa
    5 posts Member
    edited August 31
    it's laggy in all games since this update. I see everybody's lagging heavily.

[Edited vulgar language]
    Post edited by IronSoldier on
  • Yeah, yeah, we got cool stuff coming later on, but Squad Spawn next month! Thank you all!
  • Batman20
    1232 posts Member
    edited August 30
    another boring month in September meaning basically no content for 2 months as August was awful. Plus I wish you would tell us when winter is for Anakin and dooku. I take it one won't be coming out till 2019 which is annoying as you could just give us 2 heroes in one month rather than dragging it out. But at least geonosis comes soon with grievous and obi not far of as well
  • 94f1kshqal2r.jpg

Please make the middle ability for this speeder be a laser barrage like the other speeders and have the STAP convert to a configuration like in the image. An animation of the STAP switching to a horizontal configuration would be so cool!
  • Majike
    45 posts Member
    edited August 30
    F8RGE wrote: »

I feel a bit disappointed that there is so much focus on clonetrooper skins, when they can only be used on 3 (as of Geonosis, four) out of 12 (13) locations, while FO stormtroopers can be used on 4/12 maps and stormtrooper skins can be used on 5/12 maps.

It also seems strange the focus on skins isn't a focus upon hero skins, due to their high demand, their ability to be sold for a lot more (80,000 a skin instead of 20,000), and they would be playable on all 12 locations. Stick Old Han/Luke/Leia up there and it would be like printing money.
  • Well, keep working on the bugs. Lord knows there are so many and yesterday's release really didn't seem to fix much.
  • Majike wrote: »
    F8RGE wrote: »

I feel a bit disappointed that there is so much focus on clonetrooper skins, when they can only be used on 3 (as of Geonosis, four) out of 12 (13) locations, while FO stormtroopers can be used on 4/12 maps and stormtrooper skins can be used on 5/12 maps.

It also seems strange the focus on skins isn't a focus upon hero skins, due to their high demand, their ability to be sold for a lot more (80,000 a skin instead of 20,000), and they would be playable on all 12 locations. Stick Old Han/Luke/Leia up there and it would be like printing money.

but if they were playable on every map people would absolutely lose their minds. look at the backlash already about rainbow troopers.
  • Very nice.
    The only thing I'm concerned about is Geonosis only for GA.
    Strike mode has the same maps since launch.
    Love Strike but Extraction needs maps more.

Every wildfire starts with a spark.
  • Why nobody cares about the incredible lagg since the update?
  • Another big disappointment to those who don’t even play the large scale/trooper modes.
    Will be signing off until the promised heroes/villains are added.
  • Because the 13 remaining players don't care anymore.
    Zepapa wrote: »
    Why nobody cares about the incredible lagg since the update?

• If you think that one lousy map and four heroes over the course of six months will bring this game back from the dead you are so, so sadly mistaken.

Just announce that it is dead and you don't support it anymore (hard to say that you ever did), believe me, it will be better for everyone. We won't expect it to get better and the remaining two and a half devs won't have to stress over this mess.
  • Will the oversight of not having Everyone Goes Home (Savior kills for Tallie Lintra) track in Hero Starfighters be rectified?
  • This looks good :)

I would really like more skins that aren't clone troopers though. It would be nice :)
    "The question," she replied, "Is not whether you will love, hurt, dream, and die. It is what you will love, why you will hurt, when you will dream, and how you will die. This is your choice. You cannot pick the destination, only the path." - Oathbringer.
  • at least having a roadmap is a big win for the community. i know the standards have been rock bottom so at least having some idea of what is coming is better than how it was before. remember when it was complete radio silence until 2 days before the drop? im not defending them, just saying we need to take any improvments we can get with this game.
  • Geonosis ( GA) we might get a Geonosis (SA) too? maybe around winter?
    8qbnofu0jcl1.gif
  • Good work on the roadmap. Two more clone trooper skins, and squad spawn next month. Squad spawn drastically changes the dynamics of each mode it’s utilized in. Can’t wait.
  • creativepup
    264 posts Member
    edited September 1
    I see how they "fixed" the ping site issue. They have disabled all of the servers to only allow one player to enter a game except the Virginia one. If you are connected to the Oregon server, you get nothing but empty lobbies. The only server you can get into an actual working game is on the Virginia server and that still sends you to empty lobbies too but only at a 75% rate instead of Oregon's 100% empty rate. So typical of EA/DICE to make no effort to fix their mess.
  • Looking forward to having more heroes finally! Wish they would make an arcade mode with enemy heroes like the original BF2's assault on Mos Eisley
  • Seems that there is like 3 devs working with this game to keep it "alive". In one month we get like one new character and every three months one feature; squad-spawn or a new map. All this 6 months of stuff combined is worth less than one DLC to the previous Battlefront game.
  • With this cluster**** dragging on, I wish they had just announced 4 DLCs and charged for it like they did in 2015. At lease we knew when stuff was coming and what the theme was. This trash may be free but the quality is soooo poor.
  • 0badmonkey0
    374 posts Member
    edited September 2
    What I believe the bottom line on the game is that DICE was trying to build it so that almost all of the content was mostly built. That way they can peel off and go to BFV and leave a few DICE staff with contractors so they can follow the dotted line. That didn't go well because of the sheer volume of bugs and broken game play that existed and still does. So the inexperienced DICE staff and no knowledge contractors got snowballed by all the problems and they couldn't take the time necessary to release all of the mostly made content. From a person in software development, sure looks like it to me. I am also sure they assumed the money from the loot boxes would fund additional contractors as needed.

IMHO this is just too little, too late. I actually bought both skin packs, and was so sick of looking at the original skins, that I bought other skins as well. The game is at the end. There is going to be nothing to buy but what they have laid out. If there are other things that get released that need credits I will be highly astounded. It takes a lot of staff to maintain and improve on a game. They do not have that capacity. It is pretty much one or the other. It's sad. I really think that game COULD have had promise. It is way too late now.
  • JD25
    154 posts Member
    EA should be ashamed of themselves this game is already on life support and you guys choose to drip-feed this content like a slow morphine drip should be ashamed of yourselves
  • creativepup
    264 posts Member
    edited September 3
    This game could've been sooooo successful if they had just announced 8 DLCs to be released over a 15-18 month timeframe and charged $15 each or sold in bundles such as 2 for $25. Then the community would have all of the maps, weapons, heroes, villains, etc to their heart's content. The community would know exactly what they were getting and when. Then DICE would have no choice but to build said content because people would've paid for it. I know people don't like DLC for whatever reason but I would rather pay for what I want and KNOW I am going to get it than deal with these mindless content drips that are so random that it doesn't make any sense. I can guarantee that most people who bought one DLC from 2015 bought them all.

It really upsets me that this game is suffering so much just because people can't afford to pay $15-20 for a DLC? So people would rather have 3 Millennium Falcons, free game modes like Jetpack Cargo, Ewok Hunt, Hero Starfighter Showdown and Hero Showdown that were probably thought up on the can instead of paid DLC game modes like the Outer Rim Extraction, Death Star Battle Station, Scarif Infiltration and Bespin Drop Zone? Not me. The quality of the game modes were far superior when people paid for it.
    Post edited by creativepup on
  • F8RGE wrote: »

Today, we’re giving you an updated view of the Roadmap for Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II. Kicking off with September, the Roadmap outlines planned content drops* for much of 2018. Also, we’re revealing what’s currently scoped for the winter season.

To learn more about what’s coming and has come in August, don’t miss our rundown of the Elite Corps Update.

September – The Improved Squad System Is Coming

September will mark the arrival of the new Squad System, bringing the ability for players to spawn on squad members, available first in Galactic Assault, Blast, and Strike modes. Aimed to encourage team play, the Squad System is an improved and streamlined way for players to stick together in Star Wars Battlefront II.

The 91st Mobile Reconnaissance Corps and 104th Wolfpack Battalion are also coming in September. The additional clone trooper Appearances are joining the ranks of the Galactic Republic.

The Squad System, supplementary Appearances, and more, will be detailed separately here on the official Star Wars Battlefront II website closer to the September drop date.

October – All About General Grievous

The first of the heroes announced at EA PLAY, General Grievous, is debuting in Star Wars Battlefront II this October. The droid army general will be joining his villainous peers on the dark side, certainly looking to add to his collection of Jedi lightsabers.

November – The Month of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Geonosis

Countering General Grievous, Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi is reinforcing the light side of the Force in November. Obi-Wan will be able to demonstrate his heroic abilities in our newest Galactic Assault map, Geonosis. Releasing in November, the new location is known as a major theatre of conflict during the Clone Wars. Traversing the Geonosian home world will be even more exciting with the addition of three new vehicles: the STAP, the BARC speeder, and the AT-TE.

Also in November, the 212th Attack Battalion clone soldiers are approaching – made available as trooper Appearances for the Galactic Republic. These soldiers notably aided Obi-Wan in his hunt for General Grievous.

Winter – Count Dooku, New Large-Scale Mode, Anakin Skywalker, and More

Count Dooku, Yoda’s old Padawan who turned to the dark side with a thirst for more power, is bringing his menace to Star Wars Battlefront II.

The Coruscant Guard – an elite division of clone troopers originally serving as peacekeepers on the Republic capital planet of Coruscant – will be available as trooper Appearances for the Galactic Republic, too.

And, we’re excited to be releasing a new mode in Star Wars Battlefront II, a non-linear Star Wars sandbox experience. In this mode two teams battle for capture points and to ultimately bring down capital ships.

If all that wasn’t enough, for the first time, Anakin Skywalker becoming playable as a hero for the light side. Famously under Anakin’s lead during the Clone Wars, and later known as “Vader’s Fist,” the 501st Legion clone trooper Appearances* also come into play during this period.

General Grievous, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Count Dooku, and Anakin Skywalker will all get additional Appearances as well.

More content and features are still to be confirmed, but we wanted to give you this advance look into what’s coming up. Also note that things might move around, be added, or changed. That’s why we’ll come back in September with another look at the Roadmap, covering upcoming months in more detail. Efforts such as improvements on matchmaking, daily challenges, map rotation, bug fixing, and balancing are ongoing, too.

Private matches are also needed. At least allow pc players playing split screen multilayer with xbox controllers, please.
  • So when in September is the update? and are they going to bundle it like the last one?
  • Probably September 28th so they can say it was released within the month just like they did in August. They are going to drag this out as long as they can since Clone Wars is the last update.
    So when in September is the update? and are they going to bundle it like the last one?

• creativepup
    264 posts Member
    edited September 4
    Here's good news. I found a fix for the sound cutting out on Galactic Assault maps such as Kashyyyk. I have been testing the fix all weekend and it works 100%. I am going to post it in the bug forum on Thursday after my ban there is lifted. I know exactly what is causing it and it has nothing to do with the map you're on.
  • BlazinSVK
    20 posts Member
    edited September 4
    I am so excited to see AT-TE vs AAT! I hope you guys are making some epic vehicle battles!

Did you consider to make Heroes vs Villains tournaments? Please!! That's something to bring back new breath for SWBF2

Since we have Rey's and Luke's kick, I hope there will be something similar for Obi-Wan and Anakin (at least punch this time)
  • Reeeeaaally looking forward to Geonosis - easily my fave map of the old SWBF series!

While I do miss Walker Assault, I'm more than content with GA, SA, Strike, Extraction, etc as new game modes but PLEASE GIVE US MORE MAPS! Especially poor Extraction. At this point, I wouldn't mind if they ported in the Outer Rim Extraction map.
    Would love to see another SA area of conflict too.
    And Hoth on SWBF2 isn't as epic as the SWBF1 Hoth map. Would love to see an update.
  • Since you guys added the Palace Hangar map into arcade will the Geonosis map and the new squad system be available in arcade?
  • Are there new starfighters coming with Grievous, Obi-wan, Anakin and Dooku?
  • Exodus425
    3 posts Member
    edited September 4
    I really believe that there should be a Heroes vs. Villians capture the point style mode because everytime I play HVV, the losing team always resorts to having the target run away while the other 3 eventually wear down the enemy target. This not only prolongs the game but also causes a better team to eventually lose by getting worn down defending their target or by trying to chase the enemy's target.
    Post edited by Exodus425 on
  • Love it all! Got live so I could get the new skins!!!!:D but now F8RGE I’m having problems with things I’ve unlocked! Any help there?
  • Original "Roadmap":
    o94kuj2g44zu.jpeg

Every subsequent "Roadmap":
    tziyn1r11c4l.jpeg

Jag vill ****! (Swedish)
  • So when in September is the update? and are they going to bundle it like the last one?

Yes... they are bundling it with all their other dirty diapers, so they can go night-night for another month or two.

If you don't stop humoring the devs, like they actually know what they're doing, they'll never bother to learn.

Will high QoS server bandwidth ever get funded?

If one does the math (which I have), one realizes that they can never afford to provide sufficient server bandwidth, without sacrificing all profits.

Wa wa waaa. smh
  • If you guys have any more pretty (and meaningless) pictures... roadmaps... or whatever... I'd love some copies.

I hang them on my fridge... right next to my 4-year-old's... to inspire him! When he grows up, maybe he'll get paid to fail.

I'm only kidding...

I don't have kids.
  • Galactic Conquest for Arcade
  • I feel with this game having such potential, there would be more focus on the Heroes/Villains. We literally spent years being disappointed by many of the other installments for Star Wars games after the first Battlefront II installment. Skins are always a major preference for any hardcore SW fan. I personally feel with all the material we have from this franchise, there is no reason to not have access to all eras of each player. There seems to be much more focus on the Clone/Stormtrooper skins than the actual characters we fell in love with. As well as having the lesser known characters that go beyond the movies, and were included in the animated series/novels. Kit Fisto, Plo Koon, Ahsoka, Mace Windu, Adi Galia, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Aayla Secura, Shaak Ti, and Qui-Gon Jinn (LET ME RELIVE THE ONLY ENJOYABLE SCENE IN PHANTOM MENACE DAMN IT). As well as Asajj Ventress, Plagueis, Bane, Revan, Nihilus, Vitiate, Tenebrous, Malak, and could we PLEASE get a secondary option for Sidious from the Clone Wars era. I know that he detested lightsabers to an extent, and relied solely on his force abilities, but he was very enjoyable during the his short lived duel with Yoda in the RotS. This would obviously take much more time than many are willing to subscribe to, but just think about what this would do for the Battlefront community as a whole. Most of us don't care for the shooting aspect as much as we enjoy the fantasy element of having an actual catalog of Jedi, and Sith to choose from.vnfsnltq885v.jpg
  • I do not believe that what we were promised at any time, is what we have been given.
    y1zkscp916bt.png
  • creativepup
    264 posts Member
    edited September 11
    Clone Wars is the last of the content which is why they are dragging out 2017-made content towards the end of Fall 2019. The reason for them dragging this old content to Fall 2019? Jedi Fallen Order which is scheduled to be released then. Notice there's no other Star Wars game scheduled between now and then and it's clear that there will be no Battlefront III to go with EP9.