criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
August Community Calendar
Battle Point Event Heroes Unleashed

new squad system - why

Ponder if you will, the new squad system, where you are paired with the likes of people that stay at the back of the map shooting at star destroyers, or birds in the sky.

Spend a moment and visualise a "three legged race" where you're paired with an ****-savante whose ideal of game-play is running headlong into empire AT-STs.

imagine war where groups of snipers just hung out together instead of hiding separately.

Reflect on how no-one stayed together in the original and now defunct squad system.

Consider that I ask you to do this with no thought of yourself. No incentive at all to do this... (no BP gain).

Now tell me, did you ask for this, whatever this is ? And if the answer is no, then why are we getting it (specifically above other things like maps etc) ?

Answers on a postcard to jim'll fix.. no wait...

Replies

• The new squad system seems very limited to me, should have the ability to have mic with your squad, then it might actually make sense. IMO
    Those with a few friends on will now have a much bigger advantage over those playing without.
  • It will be the same like in Battlefront 2015.
  • It's being added because people asked for it and it was needed tbh. I'd rather be in the same squad for the whole game, and have advantages to being in that squad, rather than the current squad system which has the sole purpose of spawning players in small waves rather than a constant flow.
    OOM19 wrote: »

Imagine it

A horde of Bipedal Millennium Falcons with cheeseburgers for legs
    If there seems to be random words or phrases in my post that don't make sense, blame Autocorrect.
    #COOMCAIBDJF
  • Sath
    232 posts Member
    The ticket system is based on the time it takes from respawn to the action, if you cut that in half, by spawning on teammates near the objective, we may need fewer tickets for attackers because the objective is permanently under attack.
  • Sath wrote: »
    The ticket system is based on the time it takes from respawn to the action, if you cut that in half, by spawning on teammates near the objective, we may need fewer tickets for attackers because the objective is permanently under attack.
    Unlikely, as the defenders will also have that advantage. If it does end up being like that then they'll probably change it, but they won't do that pre-emptively.
    OOM19 wrote: »

Imagine it

A horde of Bipedal Millennium Falcons with cheeseburgers for legs
    If there seems to be random words or phrases in my post that don't make sense, blame Autocorrect.
    #COOMCAIBDJF
  • I assumed it would be like previous DICE games. You can decline to spawn on your squad. Also, it will probably help you avoid being sniped as soon as you spawn in the back of the map.
  • fair enough, i haven't played any other dice game. To me this is not so much a squad system... more of a spawning change ? That i do agree with the spawning miles away its annoying, but its not so annoying to make it the highest priority above meaningful content (imo)

Also based on what people have said above "if that is what it is". How is this any different than groups, they are permanent throughout the game and with people you actually want to play with/are on a level with?

• parties will be limited to 4 :) i will be opening a crate of Coors light to celebrate!...
  • Darth_Vapor3
    3914 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    @Morgancarr
    It’s the spawn strategy that’s the thing. You’ll see, it’ll manifest itself in the new conquest mode. It will also be a boon for G.A. If you play alone(no party/group), you’ll find yourself in squads sometimes with better players, sometimes worse. You will see the fellas in your squads performance and how they are accomplishing things. Or failing. You will learn some things from others. Some will learn from you. What I’m saying is, it accelerates the learning curve and literally promotes team play. One guy on a squad of strangers is rocking it, PTO, gaining score. The other squad members will tend to follow that guy and support his actions thereby both contributing to, and sharing in his success, which now becomes also the squad’s success. There will of course be occasional exceptions. Some guys will seem oblivious to what I’ve described. You will also still get steamrolled sometimes, of course. Thing is, if you lose, in whatever fashion, while truly playing as a squad, trust me when I tell you that the feeling on the loss is quite different than currently. You were not alone, and you lost while putting up a good fight with others. The squad system will also promote some solo players to gain a few more on their friends list because of it. I learned these things I described back in Battlefield: Bad Company 2. This game should have had this at launch. Honestly, there is no excuse for any modern multiplayer FPS, especially a triple A, to not have this at launch. I can’t wait.
    Post edited by Darth_Vapor3 on
  • just imagine an entire squad spawn onto an AFK or to someone jumping down the edges to commit suicide :D
  • just imagine an entire squad spawn onto an AFK or to someone jumping down the edges to commit suicide :D

You will be able to see your squad mate’s actions in game, in real time, like a third person spectator, from the spawn screen. You will be able to select to spawn as normal from a spawn point. You won’t be able to spawn on a squad member if they are immediately involved in combat or right next to an opponent.
  • I’d prefer to opt out of it in certain games. I like to sneak around and flank. If I get people spawning on and giving my position away I won’t be happy.
    #infantrylivesmatter

You will be able to see your squad mate’s actions in game, in real time, like a third person spectator, from the spawn screen. You will be able to select to spawn as normal from a spawn point. You won’t be able to spawn on a squad member if they are immediately involved in combat or right next to an opponent.

Hopefully it works better than the partner spawn from last game because I would see people spawn in as I’m in a firefight
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • moonalien wrote: »
    parties will be limited to 4 :) i will be opening a crate of Coors light to celebrate!...

Was this confirmed?
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • rollind24 wrote: »
    I’d prefer to opt out of it in certain games. I like to sneak around and flank. If I get people spawning on and giving my position away I won’t be happy.

Squads should be player created, optional. They should have functionality to be inclusive(open) or exclusive(group only). It’s a fail if it’s not this way. This squad feature has been around for over ten years. And it was made by Dice.
    I’d prefer to opt out of it in certain games. I like to sneak around and flank. If I get people spawning on and giving my position away I won’t be happy.

Squads should be player created, optional. They should have functionality to be inclusive(open) or exclusive(group only). It’s a fail if it’s not this way. This squad feature has been around for over ten years. And it was made by Dice.

Yea I hope it’s like the Battlefield squad system. It’s abiut the only thing i wouldn’t mind seeing ported over. Let’s lone wolfs be lone wolfs if they want to.
    #infantrylivesmatter
    rollind24 wrote: »

Yea I hope it’s like the Battlefield squad system. It’s abiut the only thing i wouldn’t mind seeing ported over. Let’s lone wolfs be lone wolfs if they want to.

Yeah. I’m a loyal supporter of this game compared to most around here, but if they butcher this squad system my attitude will change.
  • Brennerckk wrote: »
    The new squad system seems very limited to me, should have the ability to have mic with your squad, then it might actually make sense. IMO
    As long as you're available to set up your squad with the team members in your in-game group, then that is taken care of. Anyway, it has always been a big advantage to use the bult-in partysystem on ps4 to coordinate the attack over chat. That's what we do every day and have done since SWBF2015.

• StarWars0525
    2601 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    If the new squad system have the view point of above the map when you choose to spawn on your partner like battlefield that would be so cool.
  • If the new squad system have the view point of above the map when you choose to spawn on your partner like battlefield that would be so cool.

That is far more effort than the DEVS imo would put in...My guess will be a toggle to view each squad member alive in spectator mode and then given option to spawn in based on some criteria...including protection. If more then 'great' but don't hold your breath !
  • If the new squad system have the view point of above the map when you choose to spawn on your partner like battlefield that would be so cool.

That is far more effort than the DEVS imo would put in...My guess will be a toggle to view each squad member alive in spectator mode and then given option to spawn in based on some criteria...including protection. If more then 'great' but don't hold your breath !

I’m holding my breath because we should get a squad system like that which would really improve the game.
    parties will be limited to 4 :) i will be opening a crate of Coors light to celebrate!...

Had this been confirmed?

I’m holding my breath because we should get a squad system like that which would really improve the game.

Improvements have rarely been the motivation. ...now breath in
  • rollind24
    5664 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    moonalien wrote: »

Had this been confirmed?

That’s what I want to know. This isn’t the first time ive seen this said but my understanding is 4 man squads but you would still be able to party up with more.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • moonalien
    460 posts Member
    edited September 2018

Was this confirmed?

yes by global cm himself here & its glorious!...

eik85dtq0jk5.png

link here https://reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/95sdzf/lets_be_honest_the_guys_that_have_like_20_people/

giphy.gif

Was this confirmed?

yes by global cm himself here & its glorious!...

eik85dtq0jk5.png

link here https://reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/95sdzf/lets_be_honest_the_guys_that_have_like_20_people/

giphy.gif

Ah ok cool thanks, hadn’t seen that yet.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • The Correct is in reply to Question that can be interpetted in two ways ? so Parties of 8 might still be able to fill in two squads of four..still does not stop a team of 8 in Strike consisting of two premade groups. ..We wait to see
  • The Correct is in reply to Question that can be interpetted in two ways ? so Parties of 8 might still be able to fill in two squads of four..still does not stop a team of 8 in Strike consisting of two premade groups. ..We wait to see

Yea
    On ps4 you can join a friend who's in a game without doing a invite
    So you could fill a whole lobby and be in 5 groups of 4
    I can't see this changing much
    Except people or teammates will be back in the battle quicker
    Get your bp hit respawn and come back to the front of the battlefield with your Hero or wookiee

Miller Lite confirmed.
  • Alex64
    7401 posts Member
    What if the matchmaking put all the good squads in one side?
    The kind mixed with the wicked, the will to fight until the end, I'm not your enemy or friend.
  • I asked for this since the launch. Playing with friends, specially in Galactic Assault was pointless. We barely saw each other on the map. It wasn't fun. Now, we can finally play together and cooperate with each other. For me it's the best addition for this game. Its something that gives the game more depth (teamwork). Not everyone plays the game alone. Stop being ignorant. The current spawn system is terrible. You wait about 10 seconds to spawn on a random place with random people. Squad System will improve the game!
  • Ok i'll reserve judgement until i see it in operation. I'm not really getting why it will be so different than what exists now or what existed before to make the game fundamentally better as people above think, but I'm happy to be wrong..

Currently in groups you see where everyone is (they're all highlighted green/blue/whatever), but that doesn't make people stay together, even in the best groups. I think of it more as a grouping of good individual players. So really spawning beside them doesn't make much of a difference, albeit you don't have to wait 10 seconds or spend 40 secs running from 300m back.

does anyone know if they have a closed beta for this or anything ? "I have a bad feeling about this"

• Morgancarr wrote: »
    Ok i'll reserve judgement until i see it in operation. I'm not really getting why it will be so different than what exists now or what existed before to make the game fundamentally better as people above think, but I'm happy to be wrong..

Currently in groups you see where everyone is (they're all highlighted green/blue/whatever), but that doesn't make people stay together, even in the best groups. I think of it more as a grouping of good individual players. So really spawning beside them doesn't make much of a difference, albeit you don't have to wait 10 seconds or spend 40 secs running from 300m back.

does anyone know if they have a closed beta for this or anything ? "I have a bad feeling about this"

You probably never played Battlefield. It will be a huge difference. We always try to stay together in Battlefield. In Battlefront this wasn't possible!
    Ok i'll reserve judgement until i see it in operation. I'm not really getting why it will be so different than what exists now or what existed before to make the game fundamentally better as people above think, but I'm happy to be wrong..

You probably never played Battlefield. It will be a huge difference. We always try to stay together in Battlefield. In Battlefront this wasn't possible!

My buddy and I try to, but it's usually a lot more work than it's worth. So we end up only staying together when we discover we aren't too far from one another. I can't wait for this. It's a boon to those who play with a couple friends.
  • I have zero interest in this squads thing and won't be using it.

I'll play the game like I always do.
  • tts42572 wrote: »
    I have zero interest in this squads thing and won't be using it.

I'll play the game like I always do.

I don’t believe it’s optional.
    #infantrylivesmatter

The big difference is if I’m your a party you’ll be squaded up with your party and be able to spawn on them. If your a random you’ll be able to spawn on randomly assigned teammates.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • I will likely start playing GA again once the Squad System is released. The main reason I never play GA is because I have to run 200m to get back in the fight each time I die. The game needed this at launch.

• I will likely start playing GA again once the Squad System is released. The main reason I never play GA is because I have to run 200m to get back in the fight each time I die. The game needed this at launch.
    You are 100% right!
    Ponder if you will, the new squad system, where you are paired with the likes of people that stay at the back of the map shooting at star destroyers, or birds in the sky.

Spend a moment and visualise a "three legged race" where you're paired with an ****-savante whose ideal of game-play is running headlong into empire AT-STs.

imagine war where groups of snipers just hung out together instead of hiding separately.

Reflect on how no-one stayed together in the original and now defunct squad system.

Consider that I ask you to do this with no thought of yourself. No incentive at all to do this... (no BP gain).

Now tell me, did you ask for this, whatever this is ? And if the answer is no, then why are we getting it (specifically above other things like maps etc) ?

Answers on a postcard to jim'll fix.. no wait...

Do you even know what an **** savant is? Why not just an ****?
    You are 100% right!

Yeah just hope the system good.
  • It's a class based game, it should have had a squad system from the start but you know they didn't want it to be like battlefield... Battlefront should have been a battlefield game but they wanted to dumb it down for the kiddies.
  • where's the Algorithm coming from to accomplish this? Let me think... Um... actually let me make a profound prediction
    ...there will be 1000 Nerfs before the crying stops - or, there will be 1000 complaints before the Nerfs stop (IMO)
  • @HansTheBest

thank you hans. it was more dramatic. Yes it intellectually disabled people who have certain gifts. I was implying their gifts were shooting birds etc.

but i may change that definition to neds like you.

• SWymsa wrote: »
    It's a class based game, it should have had a squad system from the start but you know they didn't want it to be like battlefield... Battlefront should have been a battlefield game but they wanted to dumb it down for the kiddies.

Or make it less tedious than Battlefield ?