criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Community Transmission - Squad System

Prev13
F8RGE
274 posts EA Community Manager
edited September 5
Incoming Transmission

Star Wars is full of stories where trusted friends and companions adventure together, and Star Wars Battlefront II is no different.

One of our favorite things to hear about is when a player does something awesome, but it’s even better when it is done with a friend or ally on the Battlefront. It’s these types of moments that we want to help create, and the new Squad System aims to do just that.

Coming in the September update, the new Squad System will allow you to rejoin your friends, allies and the action, much quicker than before.

The Glossary
Before we break down the Squad System, we thought we should clarify a selection of naming conventions that will be used throughout this Transmission.

Game Groups
These are formed within the social hub menu of Star Wars Battlefront II.

Squads
These are groups of 4 players that enter a game mode together.

Platform Party
These are groups that are formed outside of Star Wars Battlefront II, as part of your platform of choice.

We should highlight that there is no connection between a Platform Party and Game Groups. There is one exception, and this occurs on PlayStation 4 where players can create a Game Group outside of the game with the Play Together feature.

Forming a Group
If you’re already playing with a group of friends as either a Game Group or Platform Party, you will be placed together into a squad. If your numbers are less than 4, then random players, or other groups will fill up your squad. Consequently,

if you join a game on your own, you will be placed into a random squad.
Squads persist between rounds on the same map. However, new squads are formed when switching maps. When new squads are formed, you will always be put into one with the members of your game group, but if your group consists of less than four people, the random people or other game groups that make up your squad can change.

If you join a game group late and they are already in a game, you will join the squad if there is space. If there is no space in that squad, then you will join a random squad until the maps are switched. At this point, you will join the squad with your game group.

The Spawn System
When you are defeated, you will have the ability to toggle through a spectator camera. This camera will be focused on one of your squad members and you’ll then have the ability to spawn directly onto them. Want to spawn on a different squad member? Simply toggle through the spectator camera until you find the squad member of your choosing.

The ability to spawn directly onto your squad will be limited to the following modes:
  • Galactic Assault
  • Strike

The reason why squad spawn is limited to these modes is because we need to ensure the gameplay balance remains intact. It works well for Galactic Assault due to its large size, but from our testing, we’ve found that it can become quite powerful.

We will be rolling it out onto Strike as a test case for smaller modes and the potential to roll it out to other smaller modes is there, based on your feedback.

Once defeated, you will be given the chance to go back to the Class selection menu, and spawn immediately back to
action once the respawn timer runs out.

2v2
Joining a 2v2 game mode such as Hero Showdown while in a four player group will enable you to play a private match.

Voice Chat
Voice chat will be turned off for any 4 player squads that have been formed at random. You will be able to enable voice chat with your friends through either your platforms system or by using the Star Wars Battlefront II option. Please note, that selecting your platforms voice chat feature will override the in-game option.

Ongoing Adjustments
Due to the online nature of this feature, we wanted to highlight that once it goes live, there is a possibility that we will be adjusting things within the live environment.

We have built in backend timers that will affect the length of Galactic Assault objectives, just in case we see certain phases in a map being easily exploitable by either side.

For further balancing, we are prepared with several kill-switches which will enable us to turn the feature on and off, per game mode and per map. This will enable us to react quickly should we find balance becoming an issue.
We will be watching your feedback closely and will be ready to act accordingly once the Squad System goes live later this month.

With features that are in development there are chances that things may change as we progress between now and release, but we’ll keep you posted along the way.

We’re looking forward to hearing what you think in the comments below.

Punch it

Replies

• NICE STUFF
    xglw8per1tzf.png

• dinoduderocket
    10 posts Member
    edited September 5
    Love this, good work team!
  • Vetrix
    56 posts Member
    edited September 5
    Yay people gonna be spawning out of the air and killing you battlefield style
  • If I kill half of the team that's protecting the objective, I won't clean the area cause they're all going to respawn right into the objective?

Loooooooooool
  • heck yeah. I'm sure any issues will be balanced. Thanks!
  • Wattsy93 wrote: »
    mathxlrose wrote: »
    If I kill half of the team that's protecting the objective, I won't clean the area cause they're all going to respawn right into the objective?

Loooooooooool

No I doubt it. I’m anticipating this will work like Battlefield where you can’t spawn on a teammate who is under fire. It’s not like you can be shooting a guy and then three of his mates show up all of a sudden. In response to your first comment, I disagree. I think it takes far too long to get back in to the action in Galactic Assault after spawning, so this is a welcome change. In addition, I don’t think a hero will have endless back up because heroes quite often tend to be in the thickest fighting, and therefore possibly not available to spawn on.

I could be wrong of course, but seeing as that’s how Battlefield’s spawning works, I would expect it to work like this.

Great! If you can't spawn on a friend under fire or under objective, I'm totally into it. =)
  • Darth_Vapor3
    1504 posts Member
    edited September 5
    Great Transimtion! I’d like to suggest a couple things.
    1. Joining a squad is optional. I assume it will be?
    2. Spawning normally from the spawn area should be an option.
    3. Perhaps squads should be player created with the functionality to be open(to anyone), or closed(group only). This would allow squads of two or three players.

I’m any event this is fantastic news. The CT was well written and very explanatory. I’ve been waiting on squad spawn for soooo long! See y’all on the Battlefront! Great work fellas!

Also what, if any, restrictions will there be to spawning on a squad member who’s directly involved in immediate combat?
  • I like this CT.

It'd be nice to see a community creation/capture in these to beef it up next time
  • in the scenario of having more than 4 people who wish to play together, could two separate game groups queue directly against each other for the same match?
  • Wont spawning next to a squad member be weird for the others, like a Trooper appearing from nowhere??
  • UnknownGamer
    1806 posts Member
    edited September 5
    F8RGE wrote: »
    Incoming Transmission

Star Wars is full of stories where trusted friends and companions adventure together, and Star Wars Battlefront II is no different.

One of our favorite things to hear about is when a player does something awesome, but it’s even better when it is done with a friend or ally on the Battlefront. It’s these types of moments that we want to help create, and the new Squad System aims to do just that.

Coming in the September update, the new Squad System will allow you to rejoin your friends, allies and the action, much quicker than before.

The Glossary
    Before we break down the Squad System, we thought we should clarify a selection of naming conventions that will be used throughout this Transmission.

Game Groups
    These are formed within the social hub menu of Star Wars Battlefront II.

Squads
    These are groups of 4 players that enter a game mode together.

Platform Party
    These are groups that are formed outside of Star Wars Battlefront II, as part of your platform of choice.

We should highlight that there is no connection between a Platform Party and Game Groups. There is one exception, and this occurs on PlayStation 4 where players can create a Game Group outside of the game with the Play Together feature.

Forming a Group
    If you’re already playing with a group of friends as either a Game Group or Platform Party, you will be placed together into a squad. If your numbers are less than 4, then random players, or other groups will fill up your squad. Consequently,

if you join a game on your own, you will be placed into a random squad.
    Squads persist between rounds on the same map. However, new squads are formed when switching maps. When new squads are formed, you will always be put into one with the members of your game group, but if your group consists of less than four people, the random people or other game groups that make up your squad can change.

If you join a game group late and they are already in a game, you will join the squad if there is space. If there is no space in that squad, then you will join a random squad until the maps are switched. At this point, you will join the squad with your game group.

The Spawn System
    When you are defeated, you will have the ability to toggle through a spectator camera. This camera will be focused on one of your squad members and you’ll then have the ability to spawn directly onto them. Want to spawn on a different squad member? Simply toggle through the spectator camera until you find the squad member of your choosing.

The ability to spawn directly onto your squad will be limited to the following modes:
    • Galactic Assault
    • Strike

The reason why squad spawn is limited to these modes is because we need to ensure the gameplay balance remains intact. It works well for Galactic Assault due to its large size, but from our testing, we’ve found that it can become quite powerful.

We will be rolling it out onto Strike as a test case for smaller modes and the potential to roll it out to other smaller modes is there, based on your feedback.

Once defeated, you will be given the chance to go back to the Class selection menu, and spawn immediately back to
    action once the respawn timer runs out.

2v2
    Joining a 2v2 game mode such as Hero Showdown while in a four player group will enable you to play a private match.

Voice Chat
    Voice chat will be turned off for any 4 player squads that have been formed at random. You will be able to enable voice chat with your friends through either your platforms system or by using the Star Wars Battlefront II option. Please note, that selecting your platforms voice chat feature will override the in-game option.

Ongoing Adjustments
    Due to the online nature of this feature, we wanted to highlight that once it goes live, there is a possibility that we will be adjusting things within the live environment.

We have built in backend timers that will affect the length of Galactic Assault objectives, just in case we see certain phases in a map being easily exploitable by either side.

For further balancing, we are prepared with several kill-switches which will enable us to turn the feature on and off, per game mode and per map. This will enable us to react quickly should we find balance becoming an issue.
    We will be watching your feedback closely and will be ready to act accordingly once the Squad System goes live later this month.

With features that are in development there are chances that things may change as we progress between now and release, but we’ll keep you posted along the way.

We’re looking forward to hearing what you think in the comments below.

Punch it
    Cool! But when spawning in, you should probobly be far eneugh from other players, right? Shootout with one guy, then it becomes 4? Could be bad... Just saying, a 15-20 meter distance requirement would be good.
    Love the voice chat!
    Cool update! When does it drop?
    Get that engineer on the battlefront! https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/122052/engineer-class#latest
    jexdw69dwod3.png
    I want...
    El-16HFE buff
    Engineer class
    OOM-9
  • really happy about the voice chat when will be live
  • I am so excited for the, especially the 2v2 Hero Showdown forming a private match! One step closer to private matches!
    JoricGaming
    Star Wars Content Creator and Mixer Partner
    http://mixer.com/joricgaming
    @JoricGaming
  • only thing I like here is 2vs2 private matches on showdown good job on that but everything else sounds iffy for a number of reasons.
  • @F8RGE

Hey, can we talk with randoms that get put into our squads? Or do we HAVE to add them as a friend first?

I hope there is an option to enable it for random squads and a simple opt in or out system.
  • This will ruin balance of the game. You'll see.
  • I hope we won't be seeing players appearing out of nowhere in front of our eyes. I prefer the original more immersive system where players are spawned out of the way.

Would be decent if when spawning on a player, you are spawned 50-100ft behind them and with a check for line of sight with other players. Would make it feel more like you are coming in the back them up too, not just plopping down onto there position out of nowhere with no journey or realism.
  • So, I'm hoping that these updates(specifically the squads and the 2v2 squad matches) are doorways into full-fledged private matches and multiplayer vehicles.
  • NP_Gaming
    6 posts Member
    edited September 6
    @F8RGE

I am all for the update, but my only issue is the fact we won't be able to use gamechat, what is the point if you can't stick w the randos and communicate properly, I mainly play on pc and don't have too many friends on pc that play swbf2, so for me that's a bad thing, please keep game voice chat! :)
  • Hopefully players can't spawn on squad mates that are in combat. Imagine fighting someone, he's almost dead and then 3 people spawn on him. Also heroes shouldn't be allowed to spawn on teammates. And what about vehicles? I'm guessing they just have their normal spawns and obviously don't spawn on teammates.
  • @F8RGE does this mean we can now talk with people in our squad that aren’t our friends on PS4 network? I find it hard to be in a squad if you can’t communicate verbally with them
  • xmasterful
    609 posts Member
    edited September 6
    mathxlrose wrote: »
    If I kill half of the team that's protecting the objective, I won't clean the area cause they're all going to respawn right into the objective?

Loooooooooool

Perhaps a manner to alleviate this situation you've highlighted is to make some changes to the gamemode itself by making both teams have a limited amount of lives/tickets to use. That way they can't endlessly spawn into the objective so as long as one of them survives.
    Anyway I suppose this is one of the "things" they will be live monitoring to see if it gets abused which in principle sounds like it easily could be hence my aforementioned suggestion.
    Cave_Miner wrote: »
    Hopefully players can't spawn on squad mates that are in combat. Imagine fighting someone, he's almost dead and then 3 people spawn on him. Also heroes shouldn't be allowed to spawn on teammates. And what about vehicles? I'm guessing they just have their normal spawns and obviously don't spawn on teammates.
    Yes I agree there should be a specific radius a squadmate needs to be clear of any enemies for a specific interval of time in order to then be able to respawn on them. Other games have done this I believe Gears of War was one such game as well as Halo.
    cucjqd5p8g4i.gif
    Remember the most powerful walk the line between rage and serenity.
  • Llunots wrote: »
    Wont spawning next to a squad member be weird for the others, like a Trooper appearing from nowhere??

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm quite sure, but Swbf 2015 had spawning with a partner. You could toggle different player and only come when it was "safe". I would hazard to guess this will be the same. I'm for it, as I'm tired of trying to run back to the objective, only to get hit by a sniper who is staking out near spawn points... Just let it roll cause if it doesn't work they said they'll adjust it.
    BTW love this game, tired of seeing people hate on it. If you don't like it, don't complain, just stop playing it. Loved 2015 too but having the class system (instead of 8 million load out possibilities to chose from) and a points system to be different troops, vehicles and heros so much better than searching for spawning chips. Looking forward to new content as they keep working hard to make a good game even better despite the hate being thrown at them!
  • @F8RGE so does that mean no map overview When we are choosing where to spawn in at?
  • If its like BF2015 you cant spawn in to a teammate while they're under attack or injured, which is more than fine
  • If its like BF2015 you cant spawn in to a teammate while they're under attack or injured, which is more than fine

It sounds like that. I was surprised it didn't return earlier with that squad system in the beginning.
    pija5nbcgaah.jpg

"This is a mission of peace. I put my faith in diplomacy. We can't solve all of our problems by throwing troops at them."
    -Padmé Amidala
  • @F8RGE
    Are we still able to spawn „normal“?
  • Voice chat should be on for everyone.
    If you can do it why should you?

And what about Blast?
    You specifically changed (lowered I might add) the number of players in blast with a view to the new squad system - yet it isn't a part of the blast mode?
  • Great news!
  • JediPacoElFlaco
    309 posts Member
    edited September 6
    I hope that if a squad member is being attacked, any other member can't show up near him.
    ddw3rc11mp2j.jpg
  • You should not allow spawning on heroes. As if a guy with a hero has a bunch of friends with him they can just constantly protect him making him hard to kill.
  • WorldShuffle
    190 posts Member
    edited September 6
    Batman20 wrote: »
    You should not allow spawning on heroes. As if a guy with a hero has a bunch of friends with him they can just constantly protect him making him hard to kill.

Don‘t forget AT-ST!
    Imagine your squad has enough points to immedialy spawn as a hero and/or as a AT-ST (eg on Takodana) near the objective. This would definitely cause an unbalancing.

Or in general: it would be better if Heroes and Vehicles spawn „normal“ or further away from your mates to prevent also getting killed in seconds.
  • So, should we start adding people to our friend's list in the game ?
  • TheAeneid wrote: »
    I hope we won't be seeing players appearing out of nowhere in front of our eyes. I prefer the original more immersive system where players are spawned out of the way.

Would be decent if when spawning on a player, you are spawned 50-100ft behind them and with a check for line of sight with other players. Would make it feel more like you are coming in the back them up too, not just plopping down onto there position out of nowhere with no journey or realism.
    Cave_Miner wrote: »
    Hopefully players can't spawn on squad mates that are in combat. Imagine fighting someone, he's almost dead and then 3 people spawn on him. Also heroes shouldn't be allowed to spawn on teammates. And what about vehicles? I'm guessing they just have their normal spawns and obviously don't spawn on teammates.

I say a 25-30 meter zone clear of enemies would be optimal. Having a safe zone.
    Get that engineer on the battlefront! https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/122052/engineer-class#latest
    jexdw69dwod3.png
    I want...
    El-16HFE buff
    Engineer class
    OOM-9
  • Be a shame if my ATST
    Just spawned at the objective
    And fired its grenades
    jexdw69dwod3.png
    I want...
    El-16HFE buff
    Engineer class
    OOM-9
  • I would suggest that each squad had a single class.

I believe that the game would be balanced, since it would have limits of for example official ones.

Google translate.
  • Sweeeeet, ready for the voice chat! Hope the squad spawn is balanced, in BFV it can be a pain sometimes.

It sounds like that. I was surprised it didn't return earlier with that squad system in the beginning.
    If its like BF2015 you cant spawn in to a teammate while they're under attack or injured, which is more than fine

....in BF15 they changed it and it was the ruin of small modes
  • There is so much potential unbalancing as EA already said... so first month will be 'interesting / rage inducing
  • Finally...DO IT, DO IT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
  • TonyGoombah1
    1254 posts Member
    edited September 6
    There is so much potential unbalancing as EA already said... so first month will be 'interesting / rage inducing

Basically how i saw it.

Good thing they are allowing private matches allowing us to more easily prove which heros need rebalancing (nerfs)

Expect videos showcasing broken vader gameplay, palpatine and kylo + blaster
    kay4dnh923zs.png
  • Voice chat should be on for everyone.
    If you can do it why should you?

And what about Blast?
    You specifically changed (lowered I might add) the number of players in blast with a view to the new squad system - yet it isn't a part of the blast mode?

If Strike is successful than they're add it in Blast. Remember Strike will be a experimental mode. To see if the squad system will work on smaller game modes.
    pija5nbcgaah.jpg

"This is a mission of peace. I put my faith in diplomacy. We can't solve all of our problems by throwing troops at them."
    -Padmé Amidala
  • I'm still hoping that the squad system changes the whole "team A steamrolls team B" thing. Even a reduction of the frequency is a change.

Thread: The lag source needs to be dealt with.

Thank you for fixing matchmaking. That's 1 of 2 fixed. Let's get it so that the game stops using the wrong IP address and make it 2 of 2.

"So long as you continue to be so predictable I need not face you at all. You are your own worst enemy".- Tassadar

Did someone beat you in the game fairly and you're upset? Was it not bugged or due to lag or a hack and it made you cry? Then please fill out this form and follow it's instructions for sending to the appropriate people.
  • Oh boy. This is going to be a chaotic release. There will be much peril, grief, and exploitation; a complete loss of sanguine perspectives.

I have...foreseen this.

I’ve read through the comments, thus far. Here are my thoughts (based on both the original content and player feedback):

1) If we cannot spawn near squad mates who are engaged in battle or are PTO, there is a significant potential for not being able to spawn back in at all (unless you can default to the long run back—which I doubt many would voluntarily take; opting to instead wait it out and hope for an opening; essentially leaving the squad short staffed; spawn-block-induced AFK, if you will)

2) What is this “social hub menu” where we will supposedly be able to form groups? Will we be able to make LFG posts there?

3) I definitely predict tickets running out very quickly (players will be willing to take more risk knowing they can respawn directly at the action), leading to a substantial increase in “Overtime” scenarios.

4) I hope there will be some form of inter-squad communication made possible for all modes. Something like the “quick messages” used in Crossout, where you get a wheel selection for basic things like “Need Help!”, “Watch Out!”, “Attack!”, “Defend Here”, and “Regroup Here”; all work wonders for getting the entire team on the same page.

5) I can’t wait for the fantastic videos of people falling through maps, being vaulted into the sky, and other glitches that arise when this goes live. At least we’ll have something to laugh at.

6) Also can’t wait for when I immediately fall to my death when I spawn near a squad mate that is standing near a ledge on Kamino, Kashyyk, Death Star II, Hoth, Bespin—well, you get the idea.

7) I really like the idea of joining a game group, where maybe three of your friends were PuG’ing the fourth slot until you logged on, and then it squeezes you in when a new map loads. I do want to be clear, though. In the aforementioned scenario, will voice chat be disabled for all players while your Game Group has a random squad mate or will the Game Group be able to communicate with each other? Hopefully, it’s the latter as that would enable feedback like “Hey, we’re on the last phase and we’re steamrolling them. Shouldn’t be long before you can join.”
  • So. I still have to run across the map on HvV to help my team.
  • " It works well for Galactic Assault due to its large size, but from our testing, we’ve found that it can become quite powerful."

Testing? I believe the statement about this becoming powerful, but if this has been tested like ANY other part of this game I don't think anybody knows what's going to happen...

"For further balancing, we are prepared with several kill-switches which will enable us to turn the feature on and off, per game mode and per map. This will enable us to react quickly should we find balance becoming an issue."

The good news is that balancing can't really get worse than it is now...
  • Thank you!!! Spawns were pretty awful on some of the GA modes. Attacking on Kashyyyk was very frustrating when the MTT was already halfway and you'd still spawn at the beach.
    All out Sprint with infiltration still took over 35 seconds to reach the MTT, IF you didn't get sniped and have to spawn at beach again.