criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Community Transmission - Squad System

Replies

• F8RGE wrote: »
    Incoming Transmission

Star Wars is full of stories where trusted friends and companions adventure together, and Star Wars Battlefront II is no different.

One of our favorite things to hear about is when a player does something awesome, but it’s even better when it is done with a friend or ally on the Battlefront. It’s these types of moments that we want to help create, and the new Squad System aims to do just that.

Coming in the September update, the new Squad System will allow you to rejoin your friends, allies and the action, much quicker than before.

The Glossary
    Before we break down the Squad System, we thought we should clarify a selection of naming conventions that will be used throughout this Transmission.

Game Groups
    These are formed within the social hub menu of Star Wars Battlefront II.

Squads
    These are groups of 4 players that enter a game mode together.

Platform Party
    These are groups that are formed outside of Star Wars Battlefront II, as part of your platform of choice.

We should highlight that there is no connection between a Platform Party and Game Groups. There is one exception, and this occurs on PlayStation 4 where players can create a Game Group outside of the game with the Play Together feature.

Forming a Group
    If you’re already playing with a group of friends as either a Game Group or Platform Party, you will be placed together into a squad. If your numbers are less than 4, then random players, or other groups will fill up your squad. Consequently,

if you join a game on your own, you will be placed into a random squad.
    Squads persist between rounds on the same map. However, new squads are formed when switching maps. When new squads are formed, you will always be put into one with the members of your game group, but if your group consists of less than four people, the random people or other game groups that make up your squad can change.

If you join a game group late and they are already in a game, you will join the squad if there is space. If there is no space in that squad, then you will join a random squad until the maps are switched. At this point, you will join the squad with your game group.

The Spawn System
    When you are defeated, you will have the ability to toggle through a spectator camera. This camera will be focused on one of your squad members and you’ll then have the ability to spawn directly onto them. Want to spawn on a different squad member? Simply toggle through the spectator camera until you find the squad member of your choosing.

The ability to spawn directly onto your squad will be limited to the following modes:
    • Galactic Assault
    • Strike

The reason why squad spawn is limited to these modes is because we need to ensure the gameplay balance remains intact. It works well for Galactic Assault due to its large size, but from our testing, we’ve found that it can become quite powerful.

We will be rolling it out onto Strike as a test case for smaller modes and the potential to roll it out to other smaller modes is there, based on your feedback.

Once defeated, you will be given the chance to go back to the Class selection menu, and spawn immediately back to
    action once the respawn timer runs out.

2v2
    Joining a 2v2 game mode such as Hero Showdown while in a four player group will enable you to play a private match.

Voice Chat
    Voice chat will be turned off for any 4 player squads that have been formed at random. You will be able to enable voice chat with your friends through either your platforms system or by using the Star Wars Battlefront II option. Please note, that selecting your platforms voice chat feature will override the in-game option.

Ongoing Adjustments
    Due to the online nature of this feature, we wanted to highlight that once it goes live, there is a possibility that we will be adjusting things within the live environment.

We have built in backend timers that will affect the length of Galactic Assault objectives, just in case we see certain phases in a map being easily exploitable by either side.

For further balancing, we are prepared with several kill-switches which will enable us to turn the feature on and off, per game mode and per map. This will enable us to react quickly should we find balance becoming an issue.
    We will be watching your feedback closely and will be ready to act accordingly once the Squad System goes live later this month.

With features that are in development there are chances that things may change as we progress between now and release, but we’ll keep you posted along the way.

We’re looking forward to hearing what you think in the comments below.

Punch it

Great transmission. Excited for the new changes.
    jexdw69dwod3.png
  • There is so much potential unbalancing as EA already said... so first month will be 'interesting / rage inducing

Basically how i saw it.

Good thing they are allowing private matches allowing us to more easily prove which heros need rebalancing (nerfs)

Expect videos showcasing broken vader gameplay, palpatine and kylo + blaster

Kylo freezing someone and Iden taking them down within seconds?
    jexdw69dwod3.png
  • Vetrix
    56 posts Member
    edited September 6
    so is it gonna be like battlefield where they just keep spawning and spawning and spawning on eachother into a never ending meat grinder? I think the current system is far better than the old battlefront and the current battlefield system, all you had to do was limit parties to 4 people
  • mathxlrose wrote: »
    No need to do this.

A ) I'm going to spawn as a backup to my team hero?
    B ) Spawn directly into the objective that my friend is protecting, so this is going to be endless? Im going to spawn as a hero right into the objective for example?

Seems like you never played Battlefield...
    They have done multiple things over the years to squad spawning to stop endless spawning
  • gzcnr wrote: »
    This will ruin balance of the game. You'll see.

What balance? GA has no balance anymore when they reduced the BP requirements. A proper working squad system at least will bring some proper flow and preasure to the objectives and the teams.
  • Hey guys, cant wait for this new squad system, but will you guys put this in extraction in the future?
  • I can see the pros and the cons, lets just hope they stay on top of the situation so it does not get crazy. I am not all for it but I am willing to give it a shot. (Can we have this in arcade too?)
    Add Jyn Erso as a HERO!
  • For starters... Where is that long-awaited officer Nerf that we've been waiting for, the blerg and the se-44c are still extremely powerful and the officer is still annoying to take down heck I find it achievement to actually kill one of them. Also being one of the captain phasma Mains that I am, her staff strikes are actually useless right now as they don't even deal damage cuz of some glitch in fact they still need to be buffed in damage and speed and I think that she should get damage reduction as well while using them. The Clone skins need more work as well and we need more Clone Wars-based Blaster- wielding Heroes.
  • I'm happy to be able to play GA with my friends now. However, I'm really hoping that people won't be able to spawn in/close to the objective. I can't imagine the CIS ever kicking the Republic out of those tanks on Kashyyyk if the clones are able to simply just spawn right in there. That being said, I'm going to head into this assuming the devs did their due diligence in testing this out, and can only hope it improves the game even further.
  • ...I'm going to head into this assuming the devs did their due diligence in testing this out...

8bcskens9nsn.gif

u62kv6ua6sp7.gif

bvllhyexbxpr.gif

utkhgqxxzya8.gif

9d8o9edvukvs.gif

Thanks. I needed that.
  • Omniscient wrote: »
    ...I'm going to head into this assuming the devs did their due diligence in testing this out...

8bcskens9nsn.gif

u62kv6ua6sp7.gif

bvllhyexbxpr.gif

utkhgqxxzya8.gif

9d8o9edvukvs.gif

Thanks. I needed that.

200w.webp

Glad I could help.
  • sillysaxon wrote: »
    Thank you!!! Spawns were pretty awful on some of the GA modes. Attacking on Kashyyyk was very frustrating when the MTT was already halfway and you'd still spawn at the beach.
    All out Sprint with infiltration still took over 35 seconds to reach the MTT, IF you didn't get sniped and have to spawn at beach again.

Oh, that was you? My bad.
    Just kidding!
    Seriosly, just make sure I do not spawn too close to enemies, or they spawn too close to me. That could be... OP
    34klo3e3nlma.jpeg
    Threads Want
    I want...
    El-16HFE rof buff
    Engineer class
    OOM-9
    Dual pistols
    Commando class, ARC, commando droid, Inferno Squad, Insurgent, Shock Trooper(FO), assassin(Resistance).
    Umbara
    Utapau
    Heavy/Light vehicle classes
    Dwarf spider droid
    Homing Spider Droid
    Snail Tank
    Saber tank
    RO Jedha tank
    Actual bombs coming out of the bomber.
    RO season
  • Omniscient wrote: »
    ...I'm going to head into this assuming the devs did their due diligence in testing this out...

8bcskens9nsn.gif

u62kv6ua6sp7.gif

bvllhyexbxpr.gif

utkhgqxxzya8.gif

9d8o9edvukvs.gif

Thanks. I needed that.

Thank you!
  • Alex64
    5073 posts Member
    Can we have a Conquest Battlefield mode too?
    ひとりじゃないから仲間がいるから大丈夫!
  • Wow ur first steps towards making Private matches thanks!
  • Bad idea. Worked well in 2015 because the spawns were so far away. I don’t see it functioning well here.
  • Will I be able to tell where my squadmate is on the map in starfighter assault?
  • duvelsuper wrote: »
    Will I be able to tell where my squadmate is on the map in starfighter assault?

(New) squads are not coming to SA. Just like they didn’t bother to add the new EoM stats to SA, I think that mode is just being ignored this round...or two...or three...
  • How does this affect selecting a hero when you have the points? Will you always have to go back to squad screen to see if one is available? If one isn't can you go back to spawn with the squad?
  • Wait, so they are finally adding voice chat but you have to be in a group of friends to use? Is this right? They can’t add a simple on/off toggle so random squads can utilize it? Ridiculous if this is the case and what is being decided.
  • relleuM wrote: »
    Wait, so they are finally adding voice chat but you have to be in a group of friends to use? Is this right? They can’t add a simple on/off toggle so random squads can utilize it? Ridiculous if this is the case and what is being decided.

If your not in a party, it starts as off. You can then turn it on.

That's how i read it.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• relleuM wrote: »
    Wait, so they are finally adding voice chat but you have to be in a group of friends to use? Is this right? They can’t add a simple on/off toggle so random squads can utilize it? Ridiculous if this is the case and what is being decided.

That's how i read it.

I hope your right. I read it as it will be turned off for squads formed at random but could be enabled for squads formed with friends.

Can EA/Dice clarify? I saw someone else here post that they had the same impression as I did.

Would also like to see clarity on the radius for spawning in on squad members who are close to an enemy or objective. For example, you can spawn in on someone who is this many meters away from an enemy.
  • Outrider
    156 posts Member
    edited September 11
    It's weird that this CT leaves out info that was in the news post on the website.

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/improved-squad-system
    When you’ve been eliminated, it’ll reduce the time spent running long distances to get back into the action. Instead, you’ll be able to spawn close to one of your squad members who isn’t under an immediate threat.
    We’ve already made it clear that the Squad System will allow you to spawn closer to the action. But if you choose, you’ll still have the option to return to the class selection screen and start over back at your home base. And, if your entire squad is wiped out, that’ll be the only option.

But remember, soldier: with numbers comes strength. Especially when taking on dangerous missions such as shutting down tractor beam generators to make a daring escape from Death Star II or defending the Theed Royal Palace on Naboo from the Separatists.

As such, if you find yourself as the last squad member alive, the improved Squad System is an incentive to be extra careful until your companions get a chance to spawn back on you. This way, you’ll be able to continue your push for the objective faster and with more force.

Including that info would have answered half the questions people are asking.
    Post edited by Outrider on
  • Devlin21 wrote: »
    relleuM wrote: »

That's how i read it.

You read it correctly. You’ll be able to utilize a new in game chat system with randoms. It’s built into the new squad system update. Platform chat(party chat etc.) will of course still work and trump squad chat.
  • Bad idea. Worked well in 2015 because the spawns were so far away. I don’t see it functioning well here.

Wat? You spawn pretty far away too here in Battlefront 2. Squads will work just fine.
  • tyrannyofpants
    6 posts Member
    edited September 11
    Please don't do this. This is just an absolutely terrible idea. You are completely ruining the dynamic of a game that is going on a year old. If you put out a new multiplayer mode and use this squad system, that's fine. Clearly, you guys already know this is going to lead to exhausting deadlocks. The fact that you're having to preemptively create back-end timers should tell you what an absolute train-wreck you're introducing. What need are you really fixing here? Whiny people who are sad that they have to run all the way back to the action after getting killed? What is the point of killing enemies if you're removing the penalty for being killed? This is so ridiculous that I've run of out of words.
  • I liked being able to spawn to a partner in BF1 but only did that to get closer to the action rather than run for 35 seconds to the objective. I never coordinated with the partner I spawned to.

There's already a process for people to play as a team. For those that have a group, they can coordinate privately. For those without a group, they can coordinate through various forums.

I've tried to stick with random squad mates and it never resulted in better game play. I prefer to just play the objective.
    Just make spawn points closer to the action and dump the random squad process altogether. That would save 45 seconds of waiting to get back into the game.
  • Let's implement an Honor System: When you die in game, it prompts you, "Do you want to respawn here or 300m away?" If you're the Noobslayer, you'll choose 300m away, you know, for fairness. if you're the Noob, choose here.
    "This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel." - Jyn Erso
  • Outrider wrote: »
    It's weird that this CT leaves out info that was in the news post on the website.

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/improved-squad-system
    When you’ve been eliminated, it’ll reduce the time spent running long distances to get back into the action. Instead, you’ll be able to spawn close to one of your squad members who isn’t under an immediate threat.
    We’ve already made it clear that the Squad System will allow you to spawn closer to the action. But if you choose, you’ll still have the option to return to the class selection screen and start over back at your home base. And, if your entire squad is wiped out, that’ll be the only option.

But remember, soldier: with numbers comes strength. Especially when taking on dangerous missions such as shutting down tractor beam generators to make a daring escape from Death Star II or defending the Theed Royal Palace on Naboo from the Separatists.

As such, if you find yourself as the last squad member alive, the improved Squad System is an incentive to be extra careful until your companions get a chance to spawn back on you. This way, you’ll be able to continue your push for the objective faster and with more force.

Including that info would have answered half the questions people are asking.

No kidding. Thank you for that update.
    34klo3e3nlma.jpeg
    Threads Want
    I want...
    El-16HFE rof buff
    Engineer class
    OOM-9
    Dual pistols
    Commando class, ARC, commando droid, Inferno Squad, Insurgent, Shock Trooper(FO), assassin(Resistance).
    Umbara
    Utapau
    Dwarf spider droid
    Homing Spider Droid
    Snail Tank
    Saber tank
    RO Jedha tank
    RO season
  • plz dont make this game like battlefield... -.- it should be more like the old battlefront 2 instead...

i do not care for the squad spawn because people do not play together because of that anyway..
    toxic **** dont change just because you block their chat either..
  • Drops Tuesday September 25th.
  • Tigzee wrote: »
    Drops Tuesday September 25th.

But are there enough players left, who can find a game, who will care? I can't find games ever unless I pair up with a friend in Europe. I switch from Oregon to Ireland and never find games. (PC)
  • Why no Ewok Hunt games?
    34klo3e3nlma.jpeg
    Threads Want
    I want...
    El-16HFE rof buff
    Engineer class
    OOM-9
    Dual pistols
    Umbara
    Utapau
    Dwarf spider droid
    Homing Spider Droid
    Snail Tank
    Saber tank
    RO Jedha tank
    RO season
    Incoming Transmission

The Spawn System
    When you are defeated,

You're assuming that I get defeated. ;)

This is awesome, can't wait for the squad system!
  • I'm really surprised with all of the negative comments here. I don't see how running less and being able to actually coordinate with and interact more with people in your party is a bad thing. When I play this game with my brother, even if we try to coordinate its a crap shoot because after initial contact, one one of us dies, we're spawned on opposite sides of the map, or one dies but the other stays for a while. It takes a ridiculous amount of running and waiting to actually coordinate anything.

Plus, how many whiners about this are whining about not having galactic conquest, the non - linear game mode coming? As clearly stated when the squad system was first announced, in order to have that game mode you need this squad system, so this is step one to get there. Overall I think it's going to vastly improve the dynamics in the game, GA has been getting a little stale lately.
  • Col_Burton wrote: »
    I'm really surprised with all of the negative comments here. I don't see how running less and being able to actually coordinate with and interact more with people in your party is a bad thing. When I play this game with my brother, even if we try to coordinate its a **** shoot because after initial contact, one one of us dies, we're spawned on opposite sides of the map, or one dies but the other stays for a while. It takes a ridiculous amount of running and waiting to actually coordinate anything.

Plus, how many whiners about this are whining about not having galactic conquest, the non - linear game mode coming? As clearly stated when the squad system was first announced, in order to have that game mode you need this squad system, so this is step one to get there. Overall I think it's going to vastly improve the dynamics in the game, GA has been getting a little stale lately.

It's a gathering of fanboys. Many are angst-filled fanboys. And all are anonymous fanboys. I can't imagine that the Battlefield or CoD forums are this bat-guano insane. Maybe they are, I don't know. I guess it's the 'fanboy' factor that magnifies the negativity here.
  • I'm really excited for this. This is one of those features that should've been in the game at launch, but better late than never. Can't wait to give the new squad system a go!
    "All wings report in."
  • Tigzee wrote: »
    Drops Tuesday September 25th.

But are there enough players left, who can find a game, who will care? I can't find games ever unless I pair up with a friend in Europe. I switch from Oregon to Ireland and never find games. (PC)

I play PC on Virginia servers and find games all the time in GA, HvV and SA. I usually play a couple hours after 9pm EST. Feel free to add me if you want to try and find a game together. Pretty sure my Origin name is the same, relleuMS
  • Why at the end of the month? I mean, can we maybe get something in between? Maybe blast on an FO ship, just take the campaign map. Maybe strike, HvV, and hero showdown if you can, too.
    34klo3e3nlma.jpeg
    Threads Want
    I want...
    El-16HFE rof buff
    Engineer class
    OOM-9
    Dual pistols
    Umbara
    Utapau
    Dwarf spider droid
    Homing Spider Droid
    Snail Tank
    Saber tank
    RO Jedha tank
    RO season
  • AzorAhai wrote: »
    Col_Burton wrote: »
    I'm really surprised with all of the negative comments here. I don't see how running less and being able to actually coordinate with and interact more with people in your party is a bad thing. When I play this game with my brother, even if we try to coordinate its a **** shoot because after initial contact, one one of us dies, we're spawned on opposite sides of the map, or one dies but the other stays for a while. It takes a ridiculous amount of running and waiting to actually coordinate anything.

It's a gathering of fanboys. Many are angst-filled fanboys. And all are anonymous fanboys. I can't imagine that the Battlefield or CoD forums are this bat-guano insane. Maybe they are, I don't know. I guess it's the 'fanboy' factor that magnifies the negativity here.

Seriously? The Battlefield forums are worse. Actually alot of it has to do with the mentally challenged moderators over there and a bunch of hardcore fanboys who seemingly live on the forums.
  • This is a good change. None of the arguments bagainst this are compelling. The spawns in this game are super terrible right now, especially in GA.
  • And for those of us that are not affiliated with a squad? Bueller! Bueller! yep thought so?
  • Vetrix wrote: »
    so is it gonna be like battlefield where they just keep spawning and spawning and spawning on eachother into a never ending meat grinder? I think the current system is far better than the old battlefront and the current battlefield system, all you had to do was limit parties to 4 people

Absolutely right! but DICE has to always screw something royally first before its fixed right.
  • Twowphee wrote: »
    So, I'm hoping that these updates(specifically the squads and the 2v2 squad matches) are doorways into full-fledged private matches and multiplayer vehicles.

I agree. Private matches are what have kept my friends and I going on the first Dice Battlefront. (We don't play the online modes due to too many hackers. But we really like the game.) We've been looking forward to private matches for soooo long with this one. Never fully understood how they could do them in their first game but not in this one.
  • Be a shame if my ATST
    Just spawned at the objective
    And fired its grenades

Boy, that's a REALLY good thought! The squad system works really well for Battlefield; but that's largely due to having vehicles be separate entities entirely that players can either spawn into or ride at will, rather than spawn as a vehicle in-game. I wonder if this may mean that they'll end up putting vehicles, like AT-STs, back into the map itself, like in the classic Battlefront games from back in the day, for players to hop into at will instead of the point system they currently have.

Time will tell!
  • Wiatowski wrote: »
    Llunots wrote: »
    Wont spawning next to a squad member be weird for the others, like a Trooper appearing from nowhere??

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm quite sure, but Swbf 2015 had spawning with a partner. You could toggle different player and only come when it was "safe". I would hazard to guess this will be the same. I'm for it, as I'm tired of trying to run back to the objective, only to get hit by a sniper who is staking out near spawn points... Just let it roll cause if it doesn't work they said they'll adjust it.
    BTW love this game, tired of seeing people hate on it. If you don't like it, don't complain, just stop playing it. Loved 2015 too but having the class system (instead of 8 million load out possibilities to chose from) and a points system to be different troops, vehicles and heros so much better than searching for spawning chips. Looking forward to new content as they keep working hard to make a good game even better despite the hate being thrown at them!

if its like this i approve, but if dude is under attack alone then 3 people spawn on him.. thats the same as cheating
  • Best news I've heard since launch. It's a bit late but thank you nonetheless. My mates might actually give this game a try now
  • Never-ending deadlocks or a complete lack of balance
    Which type of these games are you looking forward to?
    Incoming Transmission

Star Wars is full of stories where trusted friends and companions adventure together, and Star Wars Battlefront II is no different.

One of our favorite things to hear about is when a player does something awesome, but it’s even better when it is done with a friend or ally on the Battlefront. It’s these types of moments that we want to help create, and the new Squad System aims to do just that.

Coming in the September update, the new Squad System will allow you to rejoin your friends, allies and the action, much quicker than before.

The Glossary
    Before we break down the Squad System, we thought we should clarify a selection of naming conventions that will be used throughout this Transmission.

Game Groups
    These are formed within the social hub menu of Star Wars Battlefront II.

Squads
    These are groups of 4 players that enter a game mode together.

Platform Party
    These are groups that are formed outside of Star Wars Battlefront II, as part of your platform of choice.

We should highlight that there is no connection between a Platform Party and Game Groups. There is one exception, and this occurs on PlayStation 4 where players can create a Game Group outside of the game with the Play Together feature.

Forming a Group
    If you’re already playing with a group of friends as either a Game Group or Platform Party, you will be placed together into a squad. If your numbers are less than 4, then random players, or other groups will fill up your squad. Consequently,

if you join a game on your own, you will be placed into a random squad.
    Squads persist between rounds on the same map. However, new squads are formed when switching maps. When new squads are formed, you will always be put into one with the members of your game group, but if your group consists of less than four people, the random people or other game groups that make up your squad can change.

If you join a game group late and they are already in a game, you will join the squad if there is space. If there is no space in that squad, then you will join a random squad until the maps are switched. At this point, you will join the squad with your game group.

The Spawn System
    When you are defeated, you will have the ability to toggle through a spectator camera. This camera will be focused on one of your squad members and you’ll then have the ability to spawn directly onto them. Want to spawn on a different squad member? Simply toggle through the spectator camera until you find the squad member of your choosing.

The ability to spawn directly onto your squad will be limited to the following modes:
    • Galactic Assault
    • Strike

The reason why squad spawn is limited to these modes is because we need to ensure the gameplay balance remains intact. It works well for Galactic Assault due to its large size, but from our testing, we’ve found that it can become quite powerful.

We will be rolling it out onto Strike as a test case for smaller modes and the potential to roll it out to other smaller modes is there, based on your feedback.

Once defeated, you will be given the chance to go back to the Class selection menu, and spawn immediately back to
    action once the respawn timer runs out.

2v2
    Joining a 2v2 game mode such as Hero Showdown while in a four player group will enable you to play a private match.

Voice Chat
    Voice chat will be turned off for any 4 player squads that have been formed at random. You will be able to enable voice chat with your friends through either your platforms system or by using the Star Wars Battlefront II option. Please note, that selecting your platforms voice chat feature will override the in-game option.

Ongoing Adjustments
    Due to the online nature of this feature, we wanted to highlight that once it goes live, there is a possibility that we will be adjusting things within the live environment.

We have built in backend timers that will affect the length of Galactic Assault objectives, just in case we see certain phases in a map being easily exploitable by either side.

For further balancing, we are prepared with several kill-switches which will enable us to turn the feature on and off, per game mode and per map. This will enable us to react quickly should we find balance becoming an issue.
    We will be watching your feedback closely and will be ready to act accordingly once the Squad System goes live later this month.

With features that are in development there are chances that things may change as we progress between now and release, but we’ll keep you posted along the way.

We’re looking forward to hearing what you think in the comments below.

Punch it

Great transmission. Excited for the new changes.

When in september does this come?
  • "To improve this experience in some game modes, on September 25 we will add an improved squad system to Galactic Assault and Attack." BLAST will not have squad system?...