criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Flametroopers Shouldn't Be Able To Dodge Roll

vonVile
184 posts Member
edited September 2018
They are carrying to huge heavy tanks of explosives, yet are somehow able to evade with ease. Also they move way too fast. I don't recall military with flame throwers in Vietnam running through the battlefield. They always walk. Flametroopers should be as slow or even slower than Wookie Warrior.

Replies

• Would you rather they have a side step animation like SBDs? Because they're not gonna remove their ability to dodge. Also, its Star Wars. Those tanks probably weigh next to nothing. But I guess that could depend if flamethrowers in Star Wars use liquid, or gas to ignite the flames. Now I'm no scientist, but I have a feeling that gas tanks would weigh less than ones filled with liquid, giving some slight reasoning as to why they can roll
  • vonVile
    184 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Side-stepping is a dumb idea. The only reasonable thing for them to get is a Personal Shield, which would be stronger than standard, but that's only if they also slow their movement.
  • vonVile wrote: »
    Side-stepping is a dumb idea. The only reasonable thing for them to get is a Personal Shield, which would be stronger than standard, but that's only if they also slow their movement.

I think taking away their evasive mobility, and slowing them down further isnt a good idea.
  • It's a game.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• JediJulius
    465 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    vonVile wrote: »

They already have the most limited range of any Enforcer and you want to slow them down even further? Why? We're in a game where Rey can fight Maul and Han Solo can outshoot the Emperor. 'Realism' is hardly an argument in a universe with lasers and force powers.

And Star Wars =/= Vietnam.
  • willywonka7
    1341 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    MONEYPYR0 wrote: »
    Those tanks probably weigh next to nothing. But I guess that could depend if flamethrowers in Star Wars use liquid, or gas to ignite the flames. Now I'm no scientist, but I have a feeling that gas tanks would weigh less than ones filled with liquid, giving some slight reasoning as to why they can roll

No if they are gas tanks then they are still going to weigh a lot because they have to have a lot of material still to make the tank strong to keep the strong pressure in. Have you ever worn a scuba tank? It's filled with air and is still pretty heavy. It's not the gas that's heavy, but the tank that keeps the gas compressed that's heavy. Yeah a liquid filled tank will more thank likely be heavier.

However the real reason they roll is because they are an enforcer class and all enforcer classes have the same mechanics, which means roll, jump, dodge, melee are all the same because they have all been given the animations of the enforcer class. It would be overly complicated to give them a unique animation when the roll works just fine.

They don't need to create one specific dodge for one specific enforcer....that's a big waste of time. They need to spend their time giving us good skins, maps, more Heros/Villians, more guns, more star cards.
  • MONEYPYR0 wrote: »
    Those tanks probably weigh next to nothing. But I guess that could depend if flamethrowers in Star Wars use liquid, or gas to ignite the flames. Now I'm no scientist, but I have a feeling that gas tanks would weigh less than ones filled with liquid, giving some slight reasoning as to why they can roll

No if they are gas tanks then they are still going to weigh a lot because they have to have a lot of material still to make the tank strong to keep the strong pressure in. Have you ever worn a scuba tank? It's filled with air and is still pretty heavy. It's not the gas that's heavy, but the tank that keeps the gas compressed that's heavy. Yeah a liquid filled tank will more thank likely be heavier.

However the real reason they roll is because they are an enforcer class and all enforcer classes have the same mechanics, which means roll, jump, dodge, melee are all the same because they have all been given the animations of the enforcer class. It would be overly complicated to give them a unique animation when the roll works just fine.

They don't need to create one specific dodge for one specific enforcer....that's a big waste of time. They need to spend their time giving us good skins, maps, more Heros/Villians, more guns, more star cards.

Just to play devil's advocate a bit, the Super Battle Droid enforcer actually has a unique dodge/slide instead of the usual roll for the class.
  • MONEYPYR0 wrote: »

That was just my guess, thanks for clearing it up man! And no, I've never been scuba diving :(
  • shutpath_xbox
    69 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Flame troopers already aren't that strong.
    They require a very active playstyle and short-range to succeed..

I personally don't mind the fact that they can roll to protect themselves at all.
  • Flame troopers already aren't that strong.
    They require a very active playstyle and short-range to succeed..

I personally don't mind the fact that they can roll to protect themselves at all.

I absolutely LOVE using them. They're my second favorite Enforcer behind Death Troopers, and above SBDs. All the maps they're on are short range at some point (Jakku in every phase except maybe the first, Crait in Phase 2 and 3, Starkiller Base in Phase 2 and 3, and Takodana in Phase 3), so they can get sone great mileage. Their Overload is probably my favorite, because its really high damage, the flames do damage over time for longer, and they get a bit more range. I burned a half health Rey when she decided to hide and regen her health using it. They're great Enforcers when used right, and they're the most fun and unique to me
  • JediJulius wrote: »
    Just to play devil's advocate a bit, the Super Battle Droid enforcer actually has a unique dodge/slide instead of the usual roll for the class.
    True I forgot about the B-2 Battle droid Enforcer dodge.....either way it think that it is a waste of time for Dice to try and convert Flame trooper to B-2 Battle droid dodge, unless it's like a 5 minute change.

I think that the fact that the flame trooper does roll with the tank just shows that Chewy with C3P0 on his back skin would still look pretty realistic. I forget if they said the roll looked problematic or that C3P0 was going into the ground and that is why they didn't do the Chewy-C3P0 skin.

fvy9tgx7rejn.png