criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

The Last Jedi Haters Can Take a Hike

2Next

Replies

• DaxStorm wrote: »
    I didn't like it. I watched it 3 time in the cinema and once again on the telly, I read the rebuttals and can understand what he was trying to do, it didn't change my opinion of the film though, it was just a step to far away from the Star Wars format and dismissed everything that JJ had setup to follow his own direction.

Actually if you look at it again, Rian only answers the questions J.J.'s script posed. The Force Awakens sets up a bunch of mysteries with J.J.'s 'Mystery Box', and Rian paid them off. Not always the payoff you wanted, but paid off just the same. Remember it was J.J. that put Luke on that island. Han in TFA says, "Luke felt responsible so he left." J.J. didn't put him there because he needed a ride. Luke felt responsible and Rian made it plausible. That's just one example. Different point of view and all that.

I wouldn’t say that Ryan paid them off, more brush over them so he could tell his story, as I said I can understand what he was trying to do clearing out the old, I just don’t feel he did a good job of it.
    I have no problem with ditching the OT characters and opening the force to all comers, this makes sense, (I always had a problem with the idea that Jedi could not marry/ breed, this seemed like a ridiculous idea considering the force runs in families!)
    But Luke‘s story and the way he went out was lame. Hans Death (although I could feel it coming) was befitting his character and somewhat shocking. I would have hoped that Luke went out in a blaze of glory, inspiring Rey to fulfill her potential.
    I could go on and on about the other problems I have with the film but I won’t bore you with my opinion (more then I have already!).
    No Star Wars film is perfect, this one just had too much to overlook for me to enjoy.
    That said I’m glad you and many others do enjoy it, long live Star Wars!
  • I think Black Panther actually passed TLJ recently.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • WarfareKiller41
    6101 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    tumblr_m83kl8wd161rv3w3po2_500.gif
    Army or not, you must realize....you are doomed.
  • If any of them do I wouldn't be surprised. It was polarizing, after all, and as mentioned not close to the popularity of TFA, which benefited from nostalgia and being movie we never thought we'd get. Marvel is the powerhouse right now.
  • DaxStorm wrote: »
    I have no problem with ditching the OT characters and opening the force to all comers, this makes sense, (I always had a problem with the idea that Jedi could not marry/ breed, this seemed like a ridiculous idea considering the force runs in families!)

It doesn't always run in families. It just happens to in the Skywalkers. There is no evidence anywhere in Star Wars lore that this is the case, and in fact is the exact opposite. It seems to be a very random/natural selection process. Hence Rey.

And I would argue the way Luke went out is the greatest blaze of glory for any Jedi. Now he is more powerful than we can possibly imagine. Again, it all depends on your perspective.
  • DCDT
    84 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    He dies by using the force to much. I hated it, when they did that to Anakin Solo and it is still wrong for Luke.
  • DCDT wrote: »
    He dies by using the force to much. I hated it, when they did that to Anakin Solo and it is still wrong for Luke.

He didn't die by using the Force too much. That is indicated nowhere in the film or any reasonable analysis. He was seated, relaxed, and at peace. He passed willingly into the Force. The whole point about "peace and purpose" is that he was at peace and fulfilled his purpose. I would be willing to bet he has a significant role in IX.
  • He will be a force ghost, everyone expects that. The "he was at peace" explanation is even worse btw.
    He will be a force ghost, everyone expects that. The "he was at peace" explanation is even worse btw.

LOL ok, such a terrible explanation. Except the film says so.
    He will be a force ghost, everyone expects that. The "he was at peace" explanation is even worse btw.

No, it’s not. He leaves his physical body behind. ”If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.” He is now one with the force in order to guide the last jedi, Rey, just like Obi-Wan Kenobi became one with the force when the last jedi was Luke. His death was filled with purpose and it is by far one of my favourite scenes in any Star Wars film. Very touching.
  • AzorAhai wrote: »
    The movie gets better every time I see it.

Agreed.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • No, it’s not. He leaves his physical body behind. ”If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.” He is now one with the force in order to guide the last jedi, Rey, just like Obi-Wan Kenobi became one with the force when the last jedi was Luke. His death was filled with purpose and it is by far one of my favourite scenes in any Star Wars film. Very touching.

Absolutely. And the reveal of Luke's projection is my favorite John Williams cue of all time now.
    AzorAhai wrote: »
    The movie gets better every time I see it.

Word, +1,000,000 hues.
  • Snoke wrote: »
    Looking at the top-selling Blu-Rays in the US this year, it's clear to see that people don't hate The Last Jedi, and the haters are indeed a vocal minority. All the whining about 'bad writing' or 'betrayal of a legacy' or whatever other nonsense is spewed can take a back seat to the fact that this film resonated with people as much as, if not more than, films like Black Panther or The Greatest Showman. Personally, every time I watch it I like it more and more. Turns out YouTube is NOT a good measure of quality or overall audience approval.

https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/bluray-sales/2018

This is actually quite amusing.

Look at the box office for The Last Jedi. At a first glance it is rather impressive, the film generating 1.3 billion dollars. But now let's actually analyze that number.

The Last Jedi fell by 76% on its second Friday and a total of 68% on its second weekend, being the "largest second-weekend drop of the franchise" ever. This is explicit evidence people were excited to see the film but were ultimately disappointed after they did see it and thus decided not to watch it again, hence the huge drop.

Moreso, take the Last Jedi and analyze the surrounding Star Wars films and their box offices. The Force Awakens generated over 2 billion dollars and Rogue One, which was a spin-off and not even part of the main trilogy, generated over 1 billion dollars. Yet after the Last Jedi released, the following Star Wars film (SOLO) failed miserably at the box office, generating only 390 million dollars with a budget of 275 million. Again, more evidence the film disapointed many.

Heck, even look at toy sales. Retail orders for the Last Jedi toys fell by 47 percent from the previous year. Yes, the previous year, in which Rogue One, a spinoff movie, was released.

That brings us to Blu-ray sales, which you used as evidence. According to the same website you cited, The Last Jedi made a total of 85 million dollars in video sales, 69 million of that being from Blu-ray. Now compare that to the Force Awakens which generated a total of 190 million dollars from video sales, 152 million of that from Blu-ray. The Force Awakens made about 30-40 percent more than The Last Jedi at the box office yet somehow made over 50 percent more than the Last Jedi in video sales. Even Rogue One, which made 250 million dollars less than the Last Jedi at the box office, actually made about the same as the Last Jedi in video sales, making 84 million dollars in total video sales, 66 million of that being Blu-ray.

Bottom line is this: any popular franchise will generate a lot of money; that's obvious. The real determination of how well that franchise is growing however is comparing every new release to previous releases. Citing total numbers doesn't prove a thing. But I'm sure you knew that.

Cited websites:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Last_Jedi

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solo:_A_Star_Wars_Story

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Star-Wars-Ep-VIII-The-Last-Jedi#tab=cast-and-crew

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/lukethompson/2017/12/21/why-arent-star-wars-toys-selling-as-well-this-year/amp/

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Star-Wars-Ep-VII-The-Force-Awakens#tab=summary

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Rogue-One-A-Star-Wars-Story#tab=summary

Ummm... a couple of things...

First you jump straight to the conclusion that the second-weekend-drop of The Last Jedi is solid evidence that the audience at large was disappointed, without even mentioning the fact that exit polls stated that this was not the case and more importantly that most serious analysts believe this had to do with the fact that christmas eve 2017 was on a sunday, hence leaving christmas day (a big day for cinema) on the monday after the weekend. But whatever fits your narrative.

Then you jump to the next conclusion that Solo flopped because of people’s disappointment with TLJ? I mean... what? You don’t think it has anything to do with people having zero interest in a Han Solo origin story then? I absolutely loved TLJ and haven’t even seen Solo yet. And perhaps part of why it failed was also a case of oversaturation? It was the fourth SW movie in 3 years. Bob Iger touched on that just recently.

And toy sales went down. Yeah, they did - not just Star Wars though. Toys r’ Us went down for example. But Hasbro have admitted they made some crucial mistakes with the TLJ marketing.

And lastly, it’s not really a fair comparison to put TLJ against TFA. Before episode VII there had been 13 years since the last SW movie and over 30 years since a SW movie with the original cast. No one thought it could be topped. It probably never will be. RO sailed on that wave, plus it was the return of... Darth Vader. Still made far less than TLJ...

Your bottom line there is so very weird... with your logic, Star Wars has never grown. Yeah, TLJ made less than TFA. That is true. ESB and RotJ also made less than ANH (granted ESB had a shorter cinema run I believe). And AotC and RotS made less than TPM.

You’re obviously free to believe what you want (though I’d be a bit more careful using the word ”evidence” though... :|) and I’m not saying you haven’t gotten some things right. It’s just you made a nice post with sources and all and didn’t even bother to bullet proof it even a little bit. Just... assumptions.
  • bfloo
    12949 posts Member
    A lot of fans said they refused to see Solo after the whole TLJ debacle.

I'm sure it didn't help that their were stories floating around for months before Solo even premiered that Disney was preparing for it to be a flop.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »

I'm sure it didn't help that their were stories floating around for months before Solo even premiered that Disney was preparing for it to be a flop.

Going with that logic, Ep. IX will flop too. We will see.
  • I haven't even finished watching it yet. I know it's a fantasy movie but there were a lot of scenes that so far has left me saying "Oh come on" and wanting main characters to just die because the writing was so bad and unrealistic even for fantasy. I recall traveling over an hour to see the original well over a dozen times cause there were so few theaters around us that were showing it but it seems that they are just pushing these out now without much thought going into it to make the money without regard to us cause they know most of us will show up to see it. The last Star Wars movie I saw in a theater was Return of the Jedi and nothing I've seen since has made me want to spend the money and go see it knowing full well that I was still going to purchase it. I'd rather wait for the DVD. I just don't find them very entertaining anymore but I am enjoying the game...most of the time. I'm not one of the haters as we all have different preferences, tastes, and things we look for to make a movie entertaining to us and more power to you if you like it. : )
  • bfloo
    12949 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

To be honest, the way TLJ ended there is no credible threat to keep me interested.

We've already seen Rey smash crylo, imagine what she will do to him when she learns to actually use the Force.

Hux shows up giving no quarter, then still falls for the hold game. Worst leader ever, then they kill Canaday right away, who was the only one who seemed to understand military strategy in the First Order.
    As much as I want to, I wont go into the FO taking the galaxy over in a week, where every other war took years.

Snoke was at least a threat, and they killed him off.

Reylo isn't going to cut it, I don't want to watch a chick flick.

Solo was 'supposed' to be a stand alone film, yet it left me wondering what Qira and Maul were going to do.

h846398gb27k.png

To be honest, the way TLJ ended there is no credible threat to keep me interested.

We've already seen Rey smash crylo, imagine what she will do to him when she learns to actually use the Force.

Hux shows up giving no quarter, then still falls for the hold game. Worst leader ever, then they kill Canaday right away, who was the only one who seemed to understand military strategy in the First Order.
    As much as I want to, I wont go into the FO taking the galaxy over in a week, where every other war took years.

Solo was 'supposed' to be a stand alone film, yet it left me wondering what Qira and Maul were going to do.

Solo wasn't actually meant to be a stand-alone film. They were talking to him about doing 2 other movies after the first. I am still hoping they do. Solo was amazing.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • I hate the term "feel-good movie" but that's what I thought Solo was. I'd bet there won't be 2 more Solo movies, but that guy will resume the Han role again, somewhere.

I really liked Lando too. Wish we could have seen more. Guy was a true scoundrel...lol. I've only seen it one time, but plan to rewatch with my family one week from today.

Solo wasn't actually meant to be a stand-alone film. They were talking to him about doing 2 other movies after the first. I am still hoping they do. Solo was amazing.

Not sure I'd say amazing, but it was a fun flick.

Ron Howard did a good job with it.
    Yep. He was one of the few directors that actually tried to do what he knew George would have wanted.
    itt96uodu82s.gif

Ben Solo has slayed his master, has slayed his father and lost the rebels on Crait. He will be furious and a serious threat in ep. IX, that I am certain of. Who knows what the dark side will bring the grandchild of Vader when fear and hate consumes him. My guess: Kylo Ren will be very powerful.

But that’s how it’s always been. Not everyone will like everything. You’re not interested, too bad, but it is what it is and it’s no biggie. No matter what people are saying, episode VII and VIII were hugely successful and, while divisive, critically acclaimed. Episode IX will arrive christmas 2019 and no matter how good or bad it does and no matter how it will be recieved, those of us who have enjoyed the ST will finally have the conclusion to a great series of films. That much is certain.

+1 this. I completely agree.
    itt96uodu82s.gif

Ben Solo has slayed his master, has slayed his father and lost the rebels on Crait. He will be furious and a serious threat in ep. IX, that I am certain of. Who knows what the dark side will bring the grandchild of Vader when fear and hate consumes him. My guess: Kylo Ren will be very powerful.

But that’s how it’s always been. Not everyone will like everything. You’re not interested, too bad, but it is what it is and it’s no biggie. No matter what people are saying, episode VII and VIII were hugely successful and, while divisive, critically acclaimed. Episode IX will arrive christmas 2019 and no matter how good or bad it does and no matter how it will be recieved, those of us who have enjoyed the ST will finally have the conclusion to a great series of films. That much is certain.

HEAR, HEAR!
  • I loved all the new SW films so far, but I'm really hoping we don't get another fallout in the fanbase like the one TLJ caused.
  • I loved all the new SW films so far, but I'm really hoping we don't get another fallout in the fanbase like the one TLJ caused.

Every single Star Wars film have caused a fallout in the fanbase, and the one caused by TLJ was not any worse than the one caused by the prequels. And Star Wars is still going strong. If it survived The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, it’ll survive anything...

Very true. It’s like some people don’t remember the hate those movies got.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Ben Solo has slayed his master.

Um... correction? He did not slay his master, his master sacrificed himself and became one with the Force. He didn’t even have to die to do it. No other Jedi master ever did that.
  • bfloo
    12949 posts Member
    Ben Solo has slayed his master.

Um... correction? He did not slay his master, his master sacrificed himself and became one with the Force. He didn’t even have to die to do it. No other Jedi master ever did that.

I think he meant snoke.

h846398gb27k.png

• Prof_Moriarty
    1018 posts Member
    edited September 2018

I think he meant snoke.

Thanks, yeah that’s what I meant. He cut Snoke in half. Could’ve said Kylo Ren and not Ben Solo I suppose.
  • Pamela
    134 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    DaxStorm wrote: »
    I didn't like it. I watched it 3 time in the cinema and once again on the telly, I read the rebuttals and can understand what he was trying to do, it didn't change my opinion of the film though, it was just a step to far away from the Star Wars format and dismissed everything that JJ had setup to follow his own direction. Following Rogue one I had high hopes.

But I'm not going to bang on about it I just won't be watching it again or buying the DVD, there will just be a hole in my collection!
    It's an opinion not a fact.

I purchased the Blu-ray because I want to own every Star Wars movie, that could be what some others did as well. I also thought I should watch the film again to give it another chance. Honestly, I disliked TLJ even more the second time around and have resolved myself to consider all Disney SW movies non canon so I can still enjoy the original six. People can hate TLJ or like it, as they have the right to feel however they want. I feel fighting over it is pointless as it does nothing to change the fact that the movie exists and what’s done is done. Any comments should be sent to the people making these movies instead as that feedback would be the only kind that is helpful.

Every single Star Wars film have caused a fallout in the fanbase, and the one caused by TLJ was not any worse than the one caused by the prequels. And Star Wars is still going strong. If it survived The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, it’ll survive anything...
    In many people's eyes, the Prequels suffered from a bad plot. In many people's eyes, the Sequels suffer from character assassination. There's a difference. Star Wars is going strong, yes. But Solo bombing shows that it should be going stronger.
  • Can you name a single thing about TLJ that you hated that isn't

>Rose
    >Canto Bigh t
    >Jake Skywalker
    >Holdo
    >Leia Poppins
    >Hyperdrive Kamikaze
    >MaRey Sue
    >Subversions
    >Snoke's Death
    >Quips
    >Bathos
    >Political Agenda
    >Feminism
    >Rian Johnson
    >everyone getting the force
    >bad acting
    >bad choreography
    >the master coder
    >plot inconsistencies
    >Non existence of consequences of actions
    >dropped plot points like the Knight of Ren
    >Finn getting resetted
    >the ship designs
    >gravity physics in space
    >the insignificance of the plot
    >bad special effects
    >characters having abilities they shouldn't have like Finn being able to fly or Rey being able to swim
    >Hux being turned into joke
    >Poe being made useless
    >Phasma inconsistencies
    >the plans of the Resistance
    >the incompetence of the First Order
    >Maz Katana
    >The alien designs
    >the green alien milk
    >the tonal shifts
    >the pacing
    >the editing
    >Porgs
    >the retcons and continuity errors
    >Chewbacca being a non-character
    >going nowhere with Kylo Ren
    >the forced morals
    >the disrespect for OT characters in general

No? Thought so.
    You can't spell "steal" without EA

hxed7ph501zd.png

>Rose
    >Canto Bigh t
    >Jake Skywalker
    >Holdo
    >Leia Poppins
    >Hyperdrive Kamikaze
    >MaRey Sue
    >Subversions
    >Snoke's Death
    >Quips
    >Bathos
    >Political Agenda
    >Feminism
    >Rian Johnson
    >bad acting
    >bad choreography
    >the master coder
    >plot inconsistencies
    >Finn getting resetted
    >the ship designs
    >bad special effects
    >characters having abilities they shouldn't have like Finn being able to fly or Rey being able to swim
    >Poe being made useless
    >Phasma inconsistencies
    >Maz Katana
    >The alien designs
    >the green alien milk
    >the tonal shifts
    >the pacing
    >the editing
    >Porgs
    >the forced morals

No? Thought so.

Yep. I can. Luke/Annie/Rey's lightsaber sounded funny. When Kylo ignited it.
    itt96uodu82s.gif

>Rose
    >Canto Bigh t
    >Jake Skywalker
    >Holdo
    >Leia Poppins
    >Hyperdrive Kamikaze
    >MaRey Sue
    >Subversions
    >Snoke's Death
    >Quips
    >Bathos
    >Political Agenda
    >Feminism
    >Rian Johnson
    >bad acting
    >bad choreography
    >the master coder
    >plot inconsistencies
    >Finn getting resetted
    >the ship designs
    >bad special effects
    >Poe being made useless
    >Phasma inconsistencies
    >Maz Katana
    >The alien designs
    >the green alien milk
    >the tonal shifts
    >the pacing
    >the editing
    >Porgs
    >the forced morals

No? Thought so.

Yep. I can. Luke/Annie/Rey's lightsaber sounded funny. When Kylo ignited it.

Must add it to the list
    You can't spell "steal" without EA

hxed7ph501zd.png

>Rose
    >Canto Bigh t
    >Jake Skywalker
    >Holdo
    >Leia Poppins
    >Hyperdrive Kamikaze
    >MaRey Sue
    >Subversions
    >Snoke's Death
    >Quips
    >Bathos
    >Political Agenda
    >Feminism
    >Rian Johnson
    >bad acting
    >bad choreography
    >the master coder
    >plot inconsistencies
    >Finn getting resetted
    >the ship designs
    >bad special effects
    >Poe being made useless
    >Phasma inconsistencies
    >Maz Katana
    >The alien designs
    >the green alien milk
    >the tonal shifts
    >the pacing
    >the editing
    >Porgs
    >the forced morals

No? Thought so.
    No wilhelm scream
    yodab-5a413ed413536.jpeg

I think he meant snoke.

Thanks, yeah that’s what I meant. He cut Snoke in half. Could’ve said Kylo Ren and not Ben Solo I suppose.

OOOOOOHHHHHHH. Well then.

In many people's eyes, the Prequels suffered from a bad plot. In many people's eyes, the Sequels suffer from character assassination. There's a difference. Star Wars is going strong, yes. But Solo bombing shows that it should be going stronger.

No. It shows that releasing in May and TERRIBLE marketing was a mistake. They cut marketing budget because of the ballooning filming budget. The overall box office was terrible. Nobody went to the movies during Memorial Day Weekend. And it only “bombed” in terms of its budget. It actually had a healthy run most films would kill for. But it also sat outside the events of the Skywalker saga. It wasn’t as interesting to a broad market.

No. It shows that releasing in May and TERRIBLE marketing was a mistake. They cut marketing budget because of the ballooning filming budget. The overall box office was terrible. Nobody went to the movies during Memorial Day Weekend. And it only “bombed” in terms of its budget. It actually had a healthy run most films would kill for. But it also sat outside the events of the Skywalker saga. It wasn’t as interesting to a broad market.
    Good points, can't argue with that. Episode 9 will be the deciding factor.
  • I would love for them to bring Wedge back for Episode 9.

>Rose
    >Canto Bigh t
    >Jake Skywalker
    >Holdo
    >Leia Poppins
    >Hyperdrive Kamikaze
    >MaRey Sue
    >Subversions
    >Snoke's Death
    >Quips
    >Bathos
    >Political Agenda
    >Feminism
    >Rian Johnson
    >bad acting
    >bad choreography
    >the master coder
    >plot inconsistencies
    >Finn getting resetted
    >the ship designs
    >bad special effects
    >Poe being made useless
    >Phasma inconsistencies
    >Maz Katana
    >The alien designs
    >the green alien milk
    >the tonal shifts
    >the pacing
    >the editing
    >Porgs
    >the forced morals

No? Thought so.

>Rian Johnson this is X10
  • EA_Cian
    1135 posts EA Moderator
    Locked.

As I noted, we're not here to talk 'agendas' or issues about politics, feminism, etc. I mentioned this on the first page twice and it continued. So, thread locked.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!