criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

So much more could be done with Skins

JackTHorn
3256 posts Member
edited September 2018
Are EA Allergic to money? Seriously. I mean, not even getting into how much money they could have made just doing cheap recolored skins... I put together a list that showed more than 130 canon skins that could be made just by recoloring and swapping small items like pauldrons... but even aside from that, they just don't seem interested in providing us with opportunities to give them our money, even when we're practically begging them to.

Why are there STILL only two super-basic Star Wars themes for PS4?

And no avatars?

They could get some screenshots and make a theme. Pull headshots from every trooper type for avatars. People would buy them! They would generate money for the game.

And if they just dropped loads of skins on us at once instead of dribbling 2 at a time, they'd be getting loads of crystal purchases. And we'd be getting loads of skins. I just saw a video talking about the huge focus on customization in Battlefield V, made by the same people!

It's ridiculous there's not more out there.

{EA_Lanna: Edited title and opening post to be inline with the rules.}
Post edited by EA_Lanna on

Replies

• They just overextended themselves trying to release BFV so close to SWBF2. Why that was allowed in the first place is another question. In hindsight, we should have known that they would naturally spend more time and money working on a game who's IP they actually own rather than one they do not own.
  • Ea doesn't care about this game so they only have a few devs on it. If a game doesnt sell they try to abandon it. Medal of honor warfighter is an example. The game is only getting content because its disneys star wars.
    Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TroopperFoFo/ .
    Battlefront 2 , Battlefield and more.
  • They don't have to pay Disney royalties for Battlefield, while they likely do for Battlefront... thus they are going to exert minimal effort on Battlefront as the margins likely aren't as favorable as their other projects.
  • Thanks, EA_Lanna. =)
  • Anyway.

Avatars alone -- make maybe 40 or 50 little images in a day, charge $1.99 each, let the cash roll in.

One for each alien head, maybe some skin color variations. One for each Trooper type. One for each hero. Some for Starfighters and other ships. All the various Droids. So many options.
  • I think we know by know that Disney/ Lucasfilm want their piece of pie on everything.

I presume rightly or wrongly that rights for anything star Wars related even after obtaining rights to make SW games, comes with a heavy cost and even a more costly red tape

EA is simply looking at the bottom line. If X costs this much + costs of development, can we make X+X + X.

Right now, honestly do you think there's enough people ready to make it worthwhile? £1.99 avatars may cost EA £3 to make meaning £5+ to make a profit and then how many people will buy them?

I don't know the deal between Disney/Lucas and EA, but I think it's just a case of not owning the IP means everything costs.

How much actual money have you and others put in so far on skin's? I'm not belittling you mate and I understand the frustrations you have but at this point, even the harden fast naysayers of Paid DLC, would probably pay for a full £20 DLC, with maps, weapons, heroes, vehicles, game modes and skin's.

That is the only way for them to make money.

Trinkets won't cut it now.

• Right now, honestly do you think there's enough people ready to make it worthwhile? £1.99 avatars may cost EA £3 to make meaning £5+ to make a profit and then how many people will buy them?
    I could make 50 avatars in an hour. If I'm getting paid £50 an hour then it cost £1 to make each avatar. That means that if only one of each avatar ever sells at £1.99, the investment has been DOUBLED. If we assume sales at a ridiculously cautious number like 100 sales per avatar worldwide, then the group of 50 avatars has gained £9,999.00 in profit.

I think there are way more than 5000 PS4 players in the world who would buy a Star Wars avatar or two.

How much actual money have you and others put in so far on skin's? I'm not belittling you mate and I understand the frustrations you have but at this point, even the harden fast naysayers of Paid DLC, would probably pay for a full £20 DLC, with maps, weapons, heroes, vehicles, game modes and skin's. That is the only way for them to make money. Trinkets won't cut it now.
    I'd be fine with that, too. DLC, avatars, skins, themes... EA, why won't you take my money???
  • JackTHorn wrote: »
    Right now, honestly do you think there's enough people ready to make it worthwhile? £1.99 avatars may cost EA £3 to make meaning £5+ to make a profit and then how many people will buy them?
    I could make 50 avatars in an hour. If I'm getting paid £50 an hour then it cost £1 to make each avatar. That means that if only one of each avatar ever sells at £1.99, the investment has been DOUBLED. If we assume sales at a ridiculously cautious number like 100 sales per avatar worldwide, then the group of 50 avatars has gained £9,999.00 in profit.

I think there are way more than 5000 PS4 players in the world who would buy a Star Wars avatar or two.

I don't think it's as easy as you think. Each avatar would have to be approved and I'm sure the cost would be more than £1 for artists/designer/developer etc and don't forget Disney's cut.

10k profit is a drop in the ocean for EA when FIFA is making billions and it wouldn't be worth their time and effort. A continuous stream of avatars that do nothing for the game itself would dry up very fast. At least FIFA packs give you players.

EA doesn't just want money, it wants all your money and they cannot make it from this game as that ship has sailed.

They've given up I think and it's a saving face exercise now. That and they don't want to upset Disney anymore than they have by completely cutting off support for this game.

This game hasn't been relevant for a while and it's getting less and less as more titles are released/releasing.

Spidey, Madden,FIFA and Red to name a few.

• How about we stop with the skins and ask for some real content, like more weapons?

This isn't some barbie doll dress up game.
  • How about we stop with the skins and ask for some real content, like more weapons?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_comprehension

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machismo
  • They must make a ton of SKINS and drop them all at once. We're begging for a fair excuse to give DICE the means to hire more people to work on this game: Money!

Make easy skins, lots of them, texture swapping, color swapping, changing a few objects on a model (helmets, pauldrons, jackets, hoods). Robotic Maul can wait! But DICE's team on Battlefront II needs more people!
    Tired of BUGs?
    giphy.gif
    Visit the Rogue Bros Channel, there we document many BUGs and possible workarounds for them. There's also gameplay and other videos related to EA's Star Wars Battlefront (I & II)
  • Maybe complex skins cost to much to make and ea doesnt see the return on this game. To them it failed so why put much more money into it?
    One of the devs of the isle a weird survival multiplayer with dinosaurs said their cheapest dinosaur mode cost $6,000 to make and it went up from there.
    Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TroopperFoFo/ .
    Battlefront 2 , Battlefield and more.
  • Id love to see Galactic Marines and/or Commander Bacara skins for the clones, they always were a favorite
    Emotion yet Peace, Ignorance yet Knowledge, Passion yet Serenity, Chaos yet Harmony, Death yet the Force
  • rollind24
    4813 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    How about we stop with the skins and ask for some real content, like more weapons?

I’d actually prefer skins over weapons as “real content”. Weapons unless their actually different and not “2 less spread or something” don’t excite me at all. Real content to me are modes/maps
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • As I've said before they are not looking to make money now they are trying to make the fans and community happy and get the good will back for the brand and EAs handling... hence my "minimum they could do" post.
  • EA_Lanna wrote: »
    @JackTHorn please rename the thread to be less click-baity and more descriptive as per the rules:
    • Be descriptive. Give us as much information as you can. Name your thread "The Sims 4 Gallery - I need help with feature X" instead of just "Help!" That way everyone can be ready to help you, faster.
    • Be accurate. Make sure the title of your thread matches what your post is about.

I'll unlock the thread once you've done so. Drop me a message when you're ready.
    Edited title and reopened.

That's actually a rule? I'm so happy as I hate all these clickbait, facebook attention seeking posts/titles. "Guess what's bad about the game?" Just title it what it's about please.
  • Anonymous_Tom
    146 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Sick of skins. Give us weapons, or is DICE's incompetence getting in the way of saving Star Wars Dressup Simulator 2016?

Edited for language. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • EA_Lanna wrote: »
    @JackTHorn please rename the thread to be less click-baity and more descriptive as per the rules:
    • Be descriptive. Give us as much information as you can. Name your thread "The Sims 4 Gallery - I need help with feature X" instead of just "Help!" That way everyone can be ready to help you, faster.
    • Be accurate. Make sure the title of your thread matches what your post is about.

I'll unlock the thread once you've done so. Drop me a message when you're ready.
    Edited title and reopened.

9Fdcqch.gif
    Anyways
    What I'd really like to know is where the Elite Drownsby trooper is
    latest?cb=20130301205605&path-prefix=clone
    Forum Fringe Extremist Group KoG
    PSN: HUTTSLEIA
    Dbeh6cI.gif
  • EA_Cian
    1138 posts EA Moderator
    Some folks like skins, some would like to see other content in the game. Let's please be considerate of both of 'em and not disparage people for preferring either.

And yeah, as a general rule - let's try to make our forum thread titles clear and not clickbaity.
  • It's obvious this "Live Sevice" is dead and the game will be dead soon.
    This song is dedicated to you...
  • Skins cost nothing to make, modders have made hundreds and they don't even have a dev kit, so I don't buy the excuse of they are hard/ expensive (insert other non existent excuse) to make
  • Skins cost nothing to make, modders have made hundreds and they don't even have a dev kit, so I don't buy the excuse of they are hard/ expensive (insert other non existent excuse) to make

Do you know the inner workings of the EA contract? I'm taking do you think they have the rights to everything in the Star wars catolgue?

I'm thinking they don't and everything extra costs EA both in money and time and effort and I bet Lucas are not the easiest to please.

And, yes I hear a lot want skin's, but how many of you that do,don't already have credits to pay for them? Is there enough players left that don't have a substantial amount of credits that are going to fork out real money in skin's? How much do they charge? Too little and it's not worth it. Too much and people complain. Can that generate enough money to pay the bills?

If, how you say skin's cost nothing to make, the obvious question is why are they not doing it in mass? Surely it's money for ole rope then?

I think you will find it's not as simple as waving a magic wand and hey presto skin's.

That skin's shop ship has sailed.

The community must be getting desperate if skin's and weapons are what this game needs over maps, heroes and game modes.

Meat first before gravy and I'm not talking the Quorn stuff that been released so far.

• Doesn’t really make sense. Obviously it’s not worth their time for some reason. Maybe the player base is too small for them to care much