criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

NFL Fans?

Prev13456
Do we have any NFL fans around here?

I'm an old Houston Oilers fan who remained a fan when they moved to Tennessee. So my favorite team is the Tennessee Titans. I very nearly changed my profile pic to their logo when the season started.

Just thought I'd throw this out there. See if it was possible to have some discussion throughout the season, since I'm on these forums most weekdays anyway.

Replies

• I am from Dallas, so take a guess who my team is.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • I am from Dallas, so take a guess who my team is.

Thanks for replying and good choice! The Cowboys are either loved or hated...hahaha. They are my 3rd favorite football team. It's a legacy thing. My grandparents on both sides were big Cowboys fans, and my parents are fans.

My 2nd favorite team (not professional obviously) is the Longhorns. You can probably guess what state I'm from.

• AzorAhai wrote: »
    I am from Dallas, so take a guess who my team is.

Thanks for replying and good choice! The Cowboys are either loved or hated...hahaha. They are my 3rd favorite football team. It's a legacy thing. My grandparents on both sides were big Cowboys fans, and my parents are fans.

My 2nd favorite team (not professional obviously) is the Longhorns. You can probably guess what state I'm from.

The greatest state in the union.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • bfloo
    14789 posts Member
    I gave up on the league when they stopped letting teams play defense.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »

Well, the sport has always evolved in the name of safety. In 1904 there were 18 football deaths. President Teddy Roosevelt was afraid that the sport would be abolished due to its violent nature, he used his clout to eventually force the collegiate leaders of the time to allow the innovation forward pass, in the name of safety, and preserving the sport.

I once felt as you do. But the sport is still super violent in spite of rule changes. I'm a fan of the strategy and the teamwork, and the fact that you have so many varieties of athletic build that are useful in the sport. I don't lament rule changes to make it safer any more.
  • I guess I would consider myself an old school Packers fan (I despise them now), trying to get back into watching it, been too buys the past few years. I don't know most of the players, Adam vinatieri, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, and Ben Rothlisburger are the only people I really recognize anymore.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • Empire_TW wrote: »
    I guess I would consider myself an old school Packers fan (I despise them now), trying to get back into watching it, been too buys the past few years. I don't know most of the players, Adam vinatieri, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, and Ben Rothlisburger are the only people I really recognize anymore.

Favre fan?

I'm not a Packers fan, but my wife always makes fun of me for having a "man-crush" on Aaron Rodgers. I call the guy a Jedi Master. He's probably my single favorite player (I don't mean to offend!). I also love watching Roethlisberger and Phillip Rivers.

My football fandom, like my Star Wars fandom, is a trivial pursuit. I've had plenty of times in my life when I just didn't have time for it, including about 2002-2005 when I worked overseas a lot. But I'm at a good point in my life where I can indulge in my hobbies more (and I am very thankful!).

Thank you for replying. Do you currently have a favorite team? I once knew a couple guys from Wisconsin and one was a Packers fan and the other a Vikings fan.

• bfloo
    14789 posts Member
    AzorAhai wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »

Well, the sport has always evolved in the name of safety. In 1904 there were 18 football deaths. President Teddy Roosevelt was afraid that the sport would be abolished due to its violent nature, he used his clout to eventually force the collegiate leaders of the time to allow the innovation forward pass, in the name of safety, and preserving the sport.

I once felt as you do. But the sport is still super violent in spite of rule changes. I'm a fan of the strategy and the teamwork, and the fact that you have so many varieties of athletic build that are useful in the sport. I don't lament rule changes to make it safer any more.

the flags they are throwing these days for clean tackles are getting silly, the Green bay sack as an example.

It would be one thing if you are launching yourself like a missile at some one, but come on.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• AzorAhai
    1312 posts Member
    edited September 2018

the flags they are throwing these days for clean tackles are getting silly, the Green bay sack as an example.

It would be one thing if you are launching yourself like a missile at some one, but come on.

A lot of people are upset at the rule change. Ironically I think they made the change since Rodgers got injured last year. My problem with the Clay Mathews penalties in each of the last 2 weeks is that the first (2 weeks ago) one didn't look like it should have been thrown. But the one Sunday, according to the new rules, yeah...I'd say it applied.

They either need to abolish the new rule, or call it consistently.
  • Getting back into football this year a little. Been out of it a few years. Miami Dolphins. 3-0. Patriots 1-2. Bout time!
  • Getting back into football this year a little. Been out of it a few years. Miami Dolphins. 3-0. Patriots 1-2. Bout time!

Congrats to your Dolphins, man! Y'all beat us in that 7 hour 8 minute war of attrition in week one. We lost our star TE and are still dealing with injuries from that game.

The Patriots have only beaten the Texans who are 0-3. I'd say it's cause for concern if it were any other team.
  • rollind24
    5394 posts Member
    edited September 2018

u2a23w4ados0.gif

I’m a Cowboys fan that grew up in New England. I just am not feeling the NFL much this year. Couldn’t get excited for it and the Boys performance so far this year isn’t helping.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • AzorAhai
    1312 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    rollind24 wrote: »

u2a23w4ados0.gif

I’m a Cowboys fan that grew up in New England. I just am not feeling the NFL much this year. Couldn’t get excited for it and Boys performance so far this year isn’t helping.

Their big test will be next weekend against Detroit. If they lose that, I'm afraid there will be talk, at least among the fans, of getting a new head coach. There's already talk like that here in TX, but it will only get magnified if they go 1-3. I'm picking them to beat Detroit though, for what it's worth.
  • rollind24
    5394 posts Member
    edited September 2018

u2a23w4ados0.gif

I’m a Cowboys fan that grew up in New England. I just am not feeling the NFL much this year. Couldn’t get excited for it and Boys performance so far this year isn’t helping.

Their big test will be next weekend against Detroit. If they lose that, I'm afraid there will be talk, at least among the fans, of getting a new head coach. There's already talk like that here in TX, but it will only get magnified if they go 1-3. I'm picking them to beat Detroit though, for what it's worth.

Hopefully. In my travels I’ve made a lot friends from Michigan that alternate between being Lions and Patriots fans. They alternate because Brady “played for Michigan”, bunch of band wagoners in Michigan. When I point out all of the other teams that have “Michigan” players besides the Pats I get blank stares
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • rollind24
    5394 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    I’ve disliked Garrett for a few years now. Could they come up with better solutions to get Dez open? Nope. Every pass to him was “run down the field far and jump high”. No crossing or pick routes. Not that Dez was innocent in how everything went down but the coaching should have been more creative with him.
    #infantrylivesmatter

u2a23w4ados0.gif

My opinion is that Garett just can't being under pressure from Jerry Jones. They need a coach who knows what to do, and has the drive to do it. I love Garett, but they need a coach with the drive, the determination, and the strategy to win.
    itt96uodu82s.gif

u2a23w4ados0.gif

My opinion is that Garett just can't being under pressure from Jerry Jones. They need a coach who knows what to do, and has the drive to do it. I love Garett, but they need a coach with the drive, the determination, and the strategy to win.

Jerry's ego is both his strength and his weakness. He's done such a wonderful job of promoting the league and expanding the Dallas Cowboys brand since he's been owner, that I can't imagine the organization without him. But he should have hired a proper GM years ago.

u2a23w4ados0.gif

Jerry's ego is both his strength and his weakness. He's done such a wonderful job of promoting the league and expanding the Dallas Cowboys brand since he's been owner, that I can't imagine the organization without him. But he should have hired a proper GM years ago.

Agreed.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Empire_TW wrote: »
    I guess I would consider myself an old school Packers fan (I despise them now), trying to get back into watching it, been too buys the past few years. I don't know most of the players, Adam vinatieri, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, and Ben Rothlisburger are the only people I really recognize anymore.

Favre fan?

I'm not a Packers fan, but my wife always makes fun of me for having a "man-crush" on Aaron Rodgers. I call the guy a Jedi Master. He's probably my single favorite player (I don't mean to offend!). I also love watching Roethlisberger and Phillip Rivers.

My football fandom, like my Star Wars fandom, is a trivial pursuit. I've had plenty of times in my life when I just didn't have time for it, including about 2002-2005 when I worked overseas a lot. But I'm at a good point in my life where I can indulge in my hobbies more (and I am very thankful!).

Thank you for replying. Do you currently have a favorite team? I once knew a couple guys from Wisconsin and one was a Packers fan and the other a Vikings fan.

No, I just watch whoever is playing but I do enjoy the Packers losing though.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • Empire_TW wrote: »

Favre fan?

No, I just watch whoever is playing but I do enjoy the Packers losing though.

As a Chicago Bears fan, I approve this message >:)
  • Darth_Vapor3
    3552 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Ok! And here we are again. Start 3-0 and then play the Pats(0-3) and they stomp a mud hole in us again. 38-7! Y’all want to know what really just happened? The same thing that happens every year. The Patriots just put on film the exact blueprint to whoop up on the Miami Dolphins. You all may have football woes for your respective teams, but I challenge y’all this one. Having Brady, Belichick, and the Patriots in your division and have to play them twice a year... for the last FIFTEEN years! I mean, for the love of enough already.

(Bills and Jets fans excepted. They know.)

Edited for cursing. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • rollind24
    5394 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Ok! And here we are again. Start 3-0 and then play the Pats(0-3) and they stomp a mud hole in us again. 38-7! Y’all want to know what really just happened? The same thing that happens every year. The Patriots just put on film the exact blueprint to whoop up on the Miami Dolphins. You all may have football woes for your respective teams, but I challenge y’all this one. Having Brady, Belichick, and the Patriots in your division and have to play them twice a year... for the last FIFTEEN years! I mean, for the love of enough already.

Lol that is true, sorry man. I’m from New England and can’t stand the Patriots bandwagon fans, I know they are because I saw firsthand how no one cared about the Pats prior to Tom Brady. I hope one day a team in the division rises up and knocks the Pats off.
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • AzorAhai
    1312 posts Member
    So this weekend we have the Cowboys vs the Texans, and in college we have the Red River Showdown.

Go Cowboys!

Go Longhorns!

And I need the Titans to win a game they're expected to win (@ Buffalo). I've had 2 trifecta weekends this year (all 3 teams winning), and would love to have another.
  • AzorAhai
    1312 posts Member
    Longhorns won a big one. My smallest dog fears Saturdays in my house during football season. My wife doesn't use her "inside voice" during Texas games.
  • sad the cowboys lost, but technically a Texas team still won the game.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
  • Packers lost to the Lions again :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    sad the cowboys lost, but technically a Texas team still won the game.

But it wasn't the Oilers.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • rollind24 wrote: »

Lol that is true, sorry man. I’m from New England and can’t stand the Patriots bandwagon fans, I know they are because I saw firsthand how no one cared about the Pats prior to Tom Brady. I hope one day a team in the division rises up and knocks the Pats off.

Or their many Super Bowl wins.
    pija5nbcgaah.jpg
    "This is a mission of peace. I put my faith in diplomacy. We can't solve all of our problems by throwing troops at them."
    -Padmé Amidala
  • AzorAhai
    1312 posts Member
    Packers lost to the Lions again :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    sad the cowboys lost, but technically a Texas team still won the game.

But it wasn't the Oilers.

Yeah. I've got no love for the Texans.
  • Which NFL players have good Star Wars names?

I think Dak is a great SW name.

And there used to be a kicker named Kai Forbath (I think he's currently unemployed). I always thought his name sounded ominous, like a Sith Lord or something.
  • Longhorns and Cowboys won last week. I should be pleased. But the Titans didn't just lose, they got dragged behind the woodshed.

It's just football, right? I know that. But being shutout 21-0 at home, while allowing our QB to be sacked 11 times...

It's all good.

Longhorns are off this weekend. Titans travel to London to play the Chargers. Dallas plays Washington.
  • Band wagons are great! I’m rolling with the Patriots and Chiefs this year. Rams are looking pretty good...
  • Band wagons are great! I’m rolling with the Patriots and Chiefs this year. Rams are looking pretty good...

I had a buddy once upon a time who was a Buffalo Bills fan back when they were going to Super Bowls. Just before that, he was a Broncos fan. After that he became a 49ers fan one year. Lol.

I wish it were that easy for me. If I could manually calibrate my heart to pull for one football team and one football team only, I'd have become a Steelers fan a long, long time ago. But that's not how it works for me. I'm afraid I must suffer the plight of being a Titans fan.

Lol.
    Band wagons are great! I’m rolling with the Patriots and Chiefs this year. Rams are looking pretty good...

I had a buddy once upon a time who was a Buffalo Bills fan back when they were going to Super Bowls. Just before that, he was a Broncos fan. After that he became a 49ers fan one year. Lol.

I wish it were that easy for me. If I could manually calibrate my heart to pull for one football team and one football team only, I'd have become a Steelers fan a long, long time ago. But that's not how it works for me. I'm afraid I must suffer the plight of being a Titans fan.

Lol.

Yep. Dolphan for life. It’s not easy, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. In fact, there is no other way.
    Band wagons are great! I’m rolling with the Patriots and Chiefs this year. Rams are looking pretty good...

Lol.

Yep. Dolphan for life. It’s not easy, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. In fact, there is no other way.

Well, I'll give it to you, Gase is running that offense better than I expected.

Bad news is that you got Osweiler starting again. I feel for you.
  • Life is miserable and full of pain.
  • Did the Cowboys win yesterday? I didn't get to finish the game.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
  • Did the Cowboys win yesterday? I didn't get to finish the game.

nay! Lost 20-17. Poor clock management at the end of the game. Missed a FG that would have tied it, but had they played with a little more urgency near the end, they could have had time to take a couple shots at the end zone.

It's the worst scenario for me personally because the Titans also lost, and now both Tennessee and Dallas have a bye week, and 2 weeks from tonight they meet up on Monday Night Football. Both my teams are 3-4. If just one of them had won yesterday, I could hope both would be 4-4 after their next game, but no. One of them is going to fall to 3-5.
  • Dolphinitis is a disease that will never be cured. The Miami Miracle... and then... The Miami Dolphins...

Dolphinitis.
  • Dolphinitis is a disease that will never be cured. The Miami Miracle... and then... The Miami Dolphins...

Dolphinitis.

Sounds eerily similar to being Titanic.
  • Patriots fan, most of my family lives in New England. So I am very angry right now.

Yeah I kinda feel bad for the other teams in the division tbh.
  • Patriots fan, most of my family lives in New England. So I am very angry right now.

Yeah I kinda feel bad for the other teams in the division tbh.

Haha. I pulled for NE yesterday since the Titans need a Baltimore or Pittsburgh loss to control their destiny.
  • Football,no. But OP your iron maiden inspired avatar is blowing my mind! Keep on rocking dude
  • mastery0ta wrote: »
    Football,no. But OP your iron maiden inspired avatar is blowing my mind! Keep on rocking dude

Thanks! Oddly enough, I was going to make it a Tennessee Titans logo, when I suddenly remembered this Iron Maiden inspired artwork my buddy showed me a few years ago.
  • Cleveland Browns no matter what.
    #StarWars-y
  • Cleveland Browns no matter what.

I appreciate dedication like that man. Tip my hat to you.
    Cleveland Browns no matter what.

Back at you. The Browns and Oilers had some great games against each other back in the day.
    #StarWars-y
    Cleveland Browns no matter what.

Back at you. The Browns and Oilers had some great games against each other back in the day.

The fabled days of the AFC Central. Back when Ozzie Newsome was a TE not a GM. That whole Bruce Mathews vs Clay Mathews angle would have been played up a bit more in the media saturated NFL of today.

I had mixed emotions about finding ourselves in a completely different division without the Browns, Steelers, or Bengals.

Now my 'football hate' is primarily focused on Indianapolis and Houston.

You're familiar with the kick to the stomach that is your team up and leaving to another state.

• I will watch it with family or at a bar if it's playing.
    But I don't make an effort to keep up with it.
    "Dude, don't call us plucky, we don't know what it means."
    Devoted worshipper of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Instagram
    Twitter
    DeviantArt
    YouTube
    346z5t0ufg6v.gif
  • Huge Saints fan although my best friend plays for Jacksonville lol, he’s also a saints fan though. You guys are right though, this is a different game than it once was, same as the nba. No d and feels more like wwe entertainment now.
  • MyLittleGreenFriend
    3473 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Took two games too long, but the Patriots finally clinched first in their division and now might even be second in the AFC.