criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Community Transmission: Hero Voices - Clone Wars

F8RGE
308 posts EA Community Manager
edited October 17
Incoming Transmission

We’ve talked previously about the passion and enthusiasm our community has for Star Wars™. At the core of this passion are the characters that we’ve all come to know and love. All of them evoke a variety of responses from fans – whether it’s a smirk caused by a Han Solo wisecrack or a shudder when in the presence of Lord Vader himself.
Capturing this feeling — this essence — is hugely important to us.

When we announced that more Clone Wars content was coming to Battlefront II, the conversation instantly turned to Obi-Wan Kenobi, General Grievous, Count Dooku and Anakin Skywalker. The passion and excitement that you show for these heroes is insatiable.

Focused Feedback
I was sitting at my desk, finishing off some emails when I saw a message pop-up. It’s from Chris Schlerf, our Narrative Director on Star Wars Battlefront II. We began to talk about voice actors, emotes, dialogue, and a host of other pieces of voice related content.

We talked a bit about which voice lines we think the community would like to see and if there was any feedback that we could use as part of the upcoming recording sessions. To help validate our thoughts, we asked you directly.

You may remember the Focused Feedback threads where we asked what you wanted from Obi-Wan Kenobi, General Grievous, Count Dooku, and Anakin Skywalker. It’s safe to say that you certainly delivered and we quickly found ourselves looking at a mountain of feedback.

The good news is that you not only backed up what we thought, but on a few occasions a “that’s cool, we should add that in” was said by the team.

One example was the suggestion of the voice line, "Your screams are music to my audio-receptors," for General Grievous. This came directly from the community and will now, thanks to your feedback, be found in the game. Another example can be found in Obi-Wan Kenobi’s “When I cut you in half, I should have aimed for your neck instead,” which came directly from our forums.

The feedback we received was so passionate and in such a high quantity that we were really spoiled for choice. We can’t count the amount of “Hello there” requests we had.

Meet the Voice Actors
We had our lines ready and we devised the scripts. The only thing left to do was to pick the voice actors. So, without further ado, let’s meet the voices behind our new heroes.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
We’re pleased to confirm that James Arnold Taylor will be once again taking up the mantle of the Jedi Knight and Master he’s voiced on so many occasions.

Fans of Star Wars will recognise James as the voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi from The Clone Wars animated series.

General Grievous
Matthew Wood finds himself in the envious position of not only working on some of your favourite Star Wars movies as a sound engineer, but he also provides the voice to one of its most iconic characters from the Clone Wars era.

Reprising his role from Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith and The Clone Wars animated series, Matthew will be providing his voice for none other than General Grievous. Alongside this, he will also be conducting the post-processing work himself, to give General Grievous his iconic sound.

Anakin Skywalker
For Anakin Skywalker, we turn to someone who has also voiced him throughout The Clone Wars animated series, Star Wars Rebels, and Star Wars Forces of Destiny. We are happy to confirm that Matt Lanter will be returning to his role as the Chosen One.

Count Dooku
We are extremely pleased to confirm that reprising his role as Count Dooku is a voice actor and fan favorite, Corey Burton. Fans of The Clone Wars animated series will be all too familiar with Burton’s work and we’re sure will be happy with his addition to the Battlefront II voice cast.

The Recording Studio
The scripts have been produced and in front of us sits a list of every voice line we’re due to add into the game. A list of lines isn’t any use to us though; we need to get them recorded and that’s where the recording studio comes in.

Picture the scene, we’re sitting in the recording studio watching our actors deliver their lines. We might be watching James, Matthew, Matt, and Corey but we’re hearing Obi-Wan Kenobi, General Grievous, Anakin Skywalker, and Count Dooku. It’s hard to describe the sense of glee that you feel as you hear one of our heroes coming to life.

There’s something uniquely special about watching our voice actors do their thing, and that special feeling gets turned up a notch when they begin to play off each other. Hearing Obi-Wan and Anakin Skywalker engage in ‘friendly banter’ is, as you might expect, a fantastic experience. We might have been sitting within the recording studio, but we were instantly brought into the Star Wars universe.

Audio plays a pivotal role in capturing the magic of Star Wars and has helped create a multitude of special moments over the years. Our aim is to capture these special moments — this magic — and deliver them into the game for you all to enjoy as well.

From the initial reveal, a forum thread asking for suggestions, and into the recording studio itself, it’s been great to see how our community has been part of this process at every step of the way.

The Final Outcome
One last thing.

While we’re all here, we thought now would be a good time to give you a sneak peek at some of the voice lines that you can expect to hear for General Grievous and Obi-Wan Kenobi.

General Grievous
  • “You are a bold one.”
  • “Your lightsabers will make a fine addition to my collection.”
  • “You must realise, you are doomed.”
  • “I wield great power, Jedi fool.”
  • “The story of Obi-Wan ends here!”
  • “Make peace with the Force now, for this is your final outing.”
  • “Your screams are like music to my audio receptors.”
  • “The Kaleesh are not known for their mercy.”

Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • “Hello there.”
  • “So uncivilized.”
  • “Why do I get the feeling you’re going to be the death of me?”
  • “When I cut you in half, I should have aimed for your neck instead.”
  • “You haven’t exactly impressed me today.”
  • “The strongest defence is a swift and decisive offence.”
  • “I understand you’ve had some troubles recently.”
  • “Ugh — like bathing in a lake of venom-mites.”

Next week, we’ll be back with another Transmission dedicated to General Grievous which will include all the information you need ahead of his arrival later this month. We’ll be covering topics such as abilities, emotes, appearances and more. Don’t miss it!

Punch it
Post edited by F8RGE on

Replies

• Great!
  • HYPEDDDDDD :o
  • Best voice actors for the roles, cannot wait to hear them in game
  • Say it with me now: duh.

The voice lines are cool, but let's not pretend that the reveal of the voice actors is, or was ever going to be, big news. Says a lot about this game when you try to hype up something that was obvious to everyone.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu
  • you manged to put a smile on my face and its been a long time sense this game has manged to do that good job with the voice actor picks.
  • Awesome news Ben!
    ''The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel he understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if he had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the Dark Lord out of necessity to prevent a greater evil''
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

• JMaster
    1967 posts Member
    Awesome. I'm happy that the Clone Wars voice actors are back in action for the characters, especially James and Corey. Just to point them out, it's great to see the film actor for Grievous back in action too, and it's also nice to hear he'll have apart in helping with the sound design for his voice as well! As for the quotes, it's great so far, one of my favorite TCW lines is Obi-Wan's banter with Maul. I love Grievous bringing up his Kaleesh heritage, that's a part of him we don't really get to see. Also... is that an OG 2003 Clone Wars quote for Grievous? "Make peace with the Force now, for this is your final outing?” The more you pull from that beautiful series for him is a great thing in my book : )
    That said... you guys are really stretching it. As nice as it is to know this, I think we all knew this. I doubt you were going to get Ewan and Hayden out of whatever hole they've been in, Lee isn't with us anymore, and the admittedly awesome voice of Grievous from the 2003 show isn't canon anymore, plus I bet Matt was far more interested in the character.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • Oh My GOD!

I'll laugh my a** off when I hear Obi-wan trolling with Maul hahaha
  • Yes! Looks awesome! Cool that you could get the clone wars actors for the game!
    jexdw69dwod3.png
  • JMaster
    1967 posts Member
    Dash wrote: »
    Since Obi has the Maul Dialogue, wouldn’t it be fitting for us to get a Droid Legs Maul skin to match that sweet commentary/banter?! And also Old Ben skin?

What do y’all think? :sunglasses:
    I'd like for us to get Maul's outfit when he's with the Death Watch, that would seem easier to make and still look epic.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • Dash
    11044 posts Member
    edited October 17
    JMaster wrote: »
    Dash wrote: »
    Since Obi has the Maul Dialogue, wouldn’t it be fitting for us to get a Droid Legs Maul skin to match that sweet commentary/banter?! And also Old Ben skin?

What do y’all think? :sunglasses:
    I'd like for us to get Maul's outfit when he's with the Death Watch, that would seem easier to make and still look epic.

My thoughts exactly. :wink:

“Dew it” @F8RGE :blush:
    Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Kloon
    9kxfgzb9tacz.gif

• Dash wrote: »

What do y’all think? :sunglasses: nzw0s0nqt7ge.pngllmnohz6uib9.jpeg

Old Ben is the only obi wan skin I care about

Its an absolute must imo
  • Piscettios
    4161 posts Member
    edited October 18
    “When I cut you in half, I should have aimed for your neck instead.”

Oh man, that’s come cringey -removed- right there. Who thought this sounded cool, posted it here and how did this get passed upwards. Lmao that’s so bad!
    {MOD EDIT: VULGAR LANGUAGE}
    Post edited by F03hammer on
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • @Piscettios I’m pretty sure it’s from the clone wars show .
  • Dash wrote: »

What do y’all think? :sunglasses: nzw0s0nqt7ge.pngllmnohz6uib9.jpeg

Old Ben is the only obi wan skin I care about

Its an absolute must imo

This^
    @Piscettios I’m pretty sure it’s from the clone wars show .

Doesn't make it any less cringe.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• This pleases me greatly. But y'all should start work on Old Ben. He is one of the most requested skins.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • Its interesting how the writer of this notes the care they have for voice lines and how important of an essence it provides to the game. But I have been saying the same thing for months wondering when the existing bugs with friendly banter and a lot of the voice lines being glitched for months taking away the immersive experience and enjoyment in heroes vs villains and showdown. Writing that you care is one thing but the lack of actions when it comes to the voice line glitch really shows that it's not a priority.
  • @Piscettios I’m pretty sure it’s from the clone wars show .

This line was used as an example of a suggestion that came from the forums... doesn’t matter where it came from. It’s not like that show is above scrutiny anyway. :D
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • One of Grievous’s voice lines should be “The story of Obi Wan Kenobi ends here!”. The one they have is “The story of Obi Wan ends here!”. He never says the latter but he does say the former.
  • Can't wait for next week , the hype is real
  • BIGJJ61191 wrote: »
    Its interesting how the writer of this notes the care they have for voice lines and how important of an essence it provides to the game. But I have been saying the same thing for months wondering when the existing bugs with friendly banter and a lot of the voice lines being glitched for months taking away the immersive experience and enjoyment in heroes vs villains and showdown. Writing that you care is one thing but the lack of actions when it comes to the voice line glitch really shows that it's not a priority.

Going to have to agree with you on that.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
  • Great CT! Please also address existing voice banter issues as well.
  • It's good you guys were there to make sure there was no loss of energy on the takes. ;)

• Beautiful work developers! Please keep a good eye out for the bugs though...
  • I have a feeling with this content drop the game will be massive and outperform new games releasing. I have already noticed new players from the recent squad system and bug fixes.

Keep up the good work you are definitely redeeming yourselves however focus needs to be maintained.
  • zakdude100
    9 posts Member
    edited October 17
    I'm pretty sure the line is "Make peace with the Force now, for this is your final hour" not "Outing". But it's nice to have the 2003 Clone Wars referenced nevertheless.
  • Can we get Grievous to say "*cough cough* Jedi Scum!"

Loved that line from revenge of the sith
  • I'M SO HAPPY!!!!
  • Great, Lanter is back. Time to never play Anakin I suppose. Instead I'll be playing as some other Jedi with long hair and a scar, who's not Anakin
  • I think it’s great that Matt Lanter is voicing Anakin but I hope his look resembles more of the Hayden Christensen version from episode III
  • DarthJ
    5147 posts Member
    I have a feeling with this content drop the game will be massive and outperform new games releasing.

:joy: seriously?! You honestly think with the way this game has been mismanaged, that hundreds of thousands of players are going to return to play over playing the likes of Red Dead 2?! Has to be the funniest comment I have ever seen on here.
    41st Forum Fury Battalion Founder PSN: ibrajoker59
  • MONEYPYR0 wrote: »
    Great, Lanter is back. Time to never play Anakin I suppose. Instead I'll be playing as some other Jedi with long hair and a scar, who's not Anakin

I don't think there's any others. Unless you count Kylo Ren.
  • I love the lines, how you lostened to us, and the actor choices. I mean, you were able to get the entire cast from the clone wars. Cheers!
    34klo3e3nlma.jpeg
    Threads Want
    I want...
    El-16HFE rof buff
    Engineer class
    OOM-9
    Dual pistols
    Commando class, ARC, commando droid, Inferno Squad, Insurgent, Shock Trooper(FO), assassin(Resistance).
    Umbara
    Utapau
    Heavy/Light vehicle classes
    Dwarf spider droid
    Homing Spider Droid
    Snail Tank
    Saber tank
    RO Jedha tank
    Actual bombs coming out of the bomber.
    RO season
  • Has the voice bug for the heroes been addressed?
  • Obi wan should have the line ;
    'If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine'

And ;
    "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."

And on Tatooine ;
    "Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • Lord_Edge wrote: »
    MONEYPYR0 wrote: »
    Great, Lanter is back. Time to never play Anakin I suppose. Instead I'll be playing as some other Jedi with long hair and a scar, who's not Anakin

Lord_Edge wrote: »
    MONEYPYR0 wrote: »

I was trying to make a joke about how he isnt really Anakin, since he sounds nothing like the character, lol
  • Great to get an update about this upcoming content. Look forward to hearing all the good work on the battlefront :D
  • Matthew, James and Corey voiced their counterparts in Pandemic Studio's Battlefront 2 as well. This makes me SUPER hyped!

Ps. Personally I prefer Mat Lucas over Matt Lanter.
    Check out my skin idea for Palpatine:
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117692/the-forgotten-skin-emperor-palpatine

❝ ʜᴏᴘᴇ ɪꜱ ɴᴏᴛ ʟᴏꜱᴛ ᴛᴏᴅᴀʏ. ɪᴛ ɪꜱ ꜰᴏᴜɴᴅ. ❞

#LeiaOrgana
    4z1aaxrauk54.gif

• Very well done with the voice actors. I'm sure I am not the only one who appreciates that these talented voice actors will be in the game. Job well done Forge. Job well done.

200w.webp?****=3640f6095bca32606b5455755531932b
  • F8RGE wrote: »
    Incoming Transmission

We’ve talked previously about the passion and enthusiasm our community has for Star Wars™. At the core of this passion are the characters that we’ve all come to know and love. All of them evoke a variety of responses from fans – whether it’s a smirk caused by a Han Solo wisecrack or a shudder when in the presence of Lord Vader himself.
    Capturing this feeling — this essence — is hugely important to us.

When we announced that more Clone Wars content was coming to Battlefront II, the conversation instantly turned to Obi-Wan Kenobi, General Grievous, Count Dooku and Anakin Skywalker. The passion and excitement that you show for these heroes is insatiable.

Focused Feedback
    I was sitting at my desk, finishing off some emails when I saw a message pop-up. It’s from Chris Schlerf, our Narrative Director on Star Wars Battlefront II. We began to talk about voice actors, emotes, dialogue, and a host of other pieces of voice related content.

We talked a bit about which voice lines we think the community would like to see and if there was any feedback that we could use as part of the upcoming recording sessions. To help validate our thoughts, we asked you directly.

You may remember the Focused Feedback threads where we asked what you wanted from Obi-Wan Kenobi, General Grievous, Count Dooku, and Anakin Skywalker. It’s safe to say that you certainly delivered and we quickly found ourselves looking at a mountain of feedback.

The good news is that you not only backed up what we thought, but on a few occasions a “that’s cool, we should add that in” was said by the team.

One example was the suggestion of the voice line, "Your screams are music to my audio-receptors," for General Grievous. This came directly from the community and will now, thanks to your feedback, be found in the game. Another example can be found in Obi-Wan Kenobi’s “When I cut you in half, I should have aimed for your neck instead,” which came directly from our forums.

The feedback we received was so passionate and in such a high quantity that we were really spoiled for choice. We can’t count the amount of “Hello there” requests we had.

Meet the Voice Actors
    We had our lines ready and we devised the scripts. The only thing left to do was to pick the voice actors. So, without further ado, let’s meet the voices behind our new heroes.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
    We’re pleased to confirm that James Arnold Taylor will be once again taking up the mantle of the Jedi Knight and Master he’s voiced on so many occasions.

Fans of Star Wars will recognise James as the voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi from The Clone Wars animated series.

General Grievous
    Matthew Wood finds himself in the envious position of not only working on some of your favourite Star Wars movies as a sound engineer, but he also provides the voice to one of its most iconic characters from the Clone Wars era.

Reprising his role from Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith and The Clone Wars animated series, Matthew will be providing his voice for none other than General Grievous. Alongside this, he will also be conducting the post-processing work himself, to give General Grievous his iconic sound.

Anakin Skywalker
    For Anakin Skywalker, we turn to someone who has also voiced him throughout The Clone Wars animated series, Star Wars Rebels, and Star Wars Forces of Destiny. We are happy to confirm that Matt Lanter will be returning to his role as the Chosen One.

Count Dooku
    We are extremely pleased to confirm that reprising his role as Count Dooku is a voice actor and fan favorite, Corey Burton. Fans of The Clone Wars animated series will be all too familiar with Burton’s work and we’re sure will be happy with his addition to the Battlefront II voice cast.

The Recording Studio
    The scripts have been produced and in front of us sits a list of every voice line we’re due to add into the game. A list of lines isn’t any use to us though; we need to get them recorded and that’s where the recording studio comes in.

Picture the scene, we’re sitting in the recording studio watching our actors deliver their lines. We might be watching James, Matthew, Matt, and Corey but we’re hearing Obi-Wan Kenobi, General Grievous, Anakin Skywalker, and Count Dooku. It’s hard to describe the sense of glee that you feel as you hear one of our heroes coming to life.

There’s something uniquely special about watching our voice actors do their thing, and that special feeling gets turned up a notch when they begin to play off each other. Hearing Obi-Wan and Anakin Skywalker engage in ‘friendly banter’ is, as you might expect, a fantastic experience. We might have been sitting within the recording studio, but we were instantly brought into the Star Wars universe.

Audio plays a pivotal role in capturing the magic of Star Wars and has helped create a multitude of special moments over the years. Our aim is to capture these special moments — this magic — and deliver them into the game for you all to enjoy as well.

From the initial reveal, a forum thread asking for suggestions, and into the recording studio itself, it’s been great to see how our community has been part of this process at every step of the way.

The Final Outcome
    One last thing.

While we’re all here, we thought now would be a good time to give you a sneak peek at some of the voice lines that you can expect to hear for General Grievous and Obi-Wan Kenobi.

General Grievous
    • “You are a bold one.”
    • “Your lightsabers will make a fine addition to my collection.”
    • “You must realise, you are doomed.”
    • “I wield great power, Jedi fool.”
    • “The story of Obi-Wan ends here!”
    • “Make peace with the Force now, for this is your final outing.”
    • “Your screams are like music to my audio receptors.”
    • “The Kaleesh are not known for their mercy.”

Obi-Wan Kenobi
    • “Hello there.”
    • “So uncivilized.”
    • “Why do I get the feeling you’re going to be the death of me?”
    • “When I cut you in half, I should have aimed for your neck instead.”
    • “You haven’t exactly impressed me today.”
    • “The strongest defence is a swift and decisive offence.”
    • “I understand you’ve had some troubles recently.”
    • “Ugh — like bathing in a lake of venom-mites.”

Next week, we’ll be back with another Transmission dedicated to General Grievous which will include all the information you need ahead of his arrival later this month. We’ll be covering topics such as abilities, emotes, appearances and more. Don’t miss it!

Punch it

I wonder where the audio receptors one comes from?
    (I think I know, but it might be like the Dark Saber, and the answer is... Not where I think.)
    Hi, if you are reading this I would like to inform you that this is a placeholder sig
    #JoinTheBuzz
  • Sath
    225 posts Member
    I am not exactly happy with "When i cut you inhalf…", either. I think Obi-Wan was already a master when he knew Maul was alive still. Not only was aiming for the neck never an option, he also would never say things like that, it's not the Jedi way, but that's just me.
  • Sath wrote: »
    I am not exactly happy with "When i cut you inhalf…", either. I think Obi-Wan was already a master when he knew Maul was alive still. Not only was aiming for the neck never an option, he also would never say things like that, it's not the Jedi way, but that's just me.

Can’t wait to see the two characters as playable soon! Grevious will be everbodies favorite ha! Well obi was was still training under Qui-gon so he was a knight or Padawan at that point. I like the quote for the fact he probably should have!
  • Matt Lanter and James Arnold Taylor reprising their roles as Anakin and Obi-Wan is pretty awesome, but I would've LOVED to have had Hayden Christensen and Ewan McGregor instead (R.I.P. Sir Christopher Lee. :cry: ). The real deals.

Oh, well. It's not surprising. Scheduling around their current family lives and careers could be difficult, and I imagine Matt and James would be cheaper to hire for the roles.

Glad to see Matthew Wood and Corey Burton were also brought onboard.
    "All wings report in."
  • OBI-WAN MUST SAY ,,I HAVE A HIGHGROUND!''
  • Just fix HvV.

I would like to change characters during the game after my initial character choice gets snuffed out.
  • We need Phillipp Moog for Obi Wans german Voice. There are currently many threads about this wish