criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Community Transmission - General Grievous

Prev13
F8RGE
294 posts EA Community Manager
edited October 23
Incoming Transmission
“The drums of conflict are my beating heart. The fire of conquest rages through my veins. Strong, young lungs breathe in air laden with enemies turned into ashes. It is here that I thrive. I have toppled nations. I have slain kings. I have murdered legends. My name has been feared by warriors... and cursed by widows.” – General Grievous, The Clone Wars: The Dreams of General Grievous

General Grievous inspired fear across the galaxy as the leader of the Confederacy of Independent Systems’ droid army. Always the strategist, Grievous made it a habit of escaping the clutches of the pursuing Jedi. Only after countless battles against Obi-Wan Kenobi, did Grievous’ ruthless warmongering for invading worlds and engaging Jedi in combat, come to an end.

780b6xg29wmh.jpg

Bringing General Grievous to Battlefront II
As far as villains go, General Grievous, as seen in Star Wars™: Revenge of the Sith™, is one of the most complex that we’ve ever made for Star Wars™ Battlefront II.

While he will make use of two lightsabers for his regular attacks, some of his abilities do bring his other two arms into play. Grievous coming towards you with four lightsabers swinging is a sight to behold, and one challenge that our animation team had to overcome.

There are few sights as chilling as the one of General Grievous scuttling across the floor on all six limbs. It’s not only a great way for him to escape a fight, but it’s also something that strikes a certain eerie fear into you as he approaches. You’ll get to experience this first hand with his Claw Rush ability.

It was hugely important to us that we captured the essence of General Grievous, ever the master tactician. Imposing up close, but also able to make a swift exit. We took inspiration from his appearances all across the Star Wars™ universe, most notably the movies and The Clone Wars Animated series.

Who could forget the showdown between General Grievous and Obi-Wan Kenobi where the general used two rotating lightsabers? This scene from Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith would go on to serve as inspiration for his Unrelenting Advance ability and his appearance.

It would be amiss to talk about General Grievous without mentioning some of the iconic voice lines that he has available. Get ready to hear the hacking cough and, “You are a bold one,” among many other iconic lines. We went into detail on the voices of our heroes, General Grievous included, in a recent Community Transmission. Head on over here to read all about it.

A challenging hero to create but one we’re incredibly excited to be welcoming into Star Wars Battlefront II. Let’s dive into his abilities, star cards, and more.

Abilities
Thrust Surge
General Grievous focuses on a target in front of him and rushes to them while doing a stab motion with all 4 of his lightsabers.

Claw Rush
General Grievous goes down on all 6 limbs and rushes forward, damaging and pushing away any enemies in his path.

Unrelenting Advance
General Grievous spins two lightsabers over his head and can advance on his enemies. While this is active, Grievous blocks any frontal attacks and damages enemies in front of him.

Star Cards
  • Name: Beating Heart
  • Effects: Increased Health Regeneration
  • Description: General Grievous has increased maximum health regeneration.
  • Name: Cyborg Rage
  • Effects: Health Regained
  • Description: Whenever General Grievous defeats an enemy trooper he regains 20 health. Whenever he defeats an enemy hero, he regains even more.
  • Name: Sith Trained
  • Effects: Increased Damage and Stamina Drain
  • Description: General Grievous deals extra damage with his lightsaber attacks but they drain more stamina.
  • Name: Jedi Killer
  • Effects: Increased Reach
  • Description: General Grievous can target enemies further when using Thrust Surge.
  • Name: Momentum
  • Effects: Increased Damage
  • Description: Thrust surge deals more damage to targets further than X meters.
  • Name: Cowardly Retreat
  • Effects: Damage Reduction
  • Description: General Grievous has more damage reduction while Claw Rush is active.
  • Name: Line up, Weaklings
  • Description: After one enemy has been hit, Claw Rush deals more damage.
  • Name: Ceaseless Assault
  • Effects: Increased Active Time
  • Description: Unrelenting Advance can stay active for a longer period.
  • Name: Deadly Slashes
  • Description: Unrelenting Advance deals more damage.

Voice Lines
There are a number of iconic voice lines that have been added for General Grievous, as well as some entirely new ones. A small selection of these are below:
  • “You are a bold one.”
  • “Your lightsabers will make a fine addition to my collection.”
  • “You must realise you are doomed.”
  • “I wield great power, Jedi fool.”
  • “The story of Obi-Wan Kenobi ends here!”
  • “Make peace with the Force now, for this is your final outing.”
  • “Your screams are like music to my audio receptors.”
  • “The Kaleesh are not known for their mercy.”
  • “This will be easier than Dathomir.”
  • “A general welcomes all challengers.”
  • “(laughing) This calls for a celebration!”
  • “Now! Devastation tactics!”
  • “Do not cling to me like a dianoga! Attack!”
  • “Temper temper! You know where anger leads...”

We recently went live with a Community Transmission dedicated to Hero Voices, you can catch up on that here.

Victory Poses
  • Lines of Death
  • Jedi Hunt
  • Doom
  • Consider Yourself Crushed

Emotes
  • “You are a bold one”
  • “Crush them”
  • “Surrender”
  • "Your screams are music to my audio-receptors."

Milestones
  • Name: Out of my Way
  • Description: Hit 30 Enemies with the Claw Rush ability
  • Name: Make them Suffer
  • Description: Defeat 30 Enemies with the Unrelenting Advance Ability
  • Name: Another one to the Collection
  • Description: Defeat 30 Enemies with the Thrust surge Ability
  • Name: Experienced General Grievous
  • Description: Earn 122,721 score as General Grievous
  • Name: Veteran General Grievous
  • Description: Earn 389,809 score as General Grievous

Appearances
Jedi Hunter
The default appearance for General Grievous will be the Jedi Hunter. When you think of General Grievous, this will be the appearance that you are mostly likely to think of.

Battle Damaged
If General Grievous wasn’t feared enough, then his Battle Damaged visage will certainly invoke an additional sense of fear.

The Battle Damaged appearance will be classified as rare and cost 20,000 credits or 500 crystals.
General Grievous will cost 35,000 credits and will not be purchasable for crystals. Remember to do your daily challenges and to log in each day for your daily crate reward!

We’ll be back in a few days’ time to talk about everything else that is due to arrive in the General Grievous Update on October 30.

Punch it
Post edited by F8RGE on

Replies

• Hello there!
  • MajesticAndHolyWade
    184 posts Member
    edited October 23
    Looks awesome! Thanks for the info, Ben!

[Removed quote, ironsoldier]
  • Unrelenting Advance sounds like a chokepoint counter as long as an officer with defuser running is behind him. Hopefully it plays that way.
  • shhnuhgrr
    266 posts Member
    edited October 23
    not purchasable via crystals...guess "playing the game > instant money"

looking forward to seeing him in action.

I wonder what Jedi hunter and Battle Damaged difference is? Does he have a cape in one? Obvious one of them he looks damaged...
  • How much health does he have?
  • Great Ben!!! Thanks for everything and you attention put it on the community.
  • Great image cannot wait to play as Grievous.
    AVD_ThetaYota
  • Awesome!

An image of the battle damaged appearance would be interesting.
  • Awesome!

85f8f13ae31ba844e1380efda0326a25fb2213e8_hq.gif
    Battlefront II has a 45.8% chance of success.
    sfg04pfx1l31.gif
  • Excellent...
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • OOM19
    2650 posts Member
    A new hero.....

OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

Suppor The Latest OOM-9 Thread
    [url="https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121855/grievous-vs-oom-9/p1/p1[/url]

jexdw69dwod3.png
  • Yeeeeeeeeeeeessssss this is amazingly cool! Much more information than I hoped for - in hindsight, I see we didn't get much else because it's all here! And I even see NEW BATTLE DROID SKINS! Whooooo everything about this post is perfect
    Top favorite heroes and villains missing:
    Ahsoka, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Rex, Cody
    Grievous, Bane, Thrawn, Ventress, Dooku
    0np8u7zs8tne.gif
  • Whodunnit wrote: »
    Awesome!

85f8f13ae31ba844e1380efda0326a25fb2213e8_hq.gif

Really?
    Organic parts burnt, two arms missing...
    Looks like a "zombie grievous".
  • shhnuhgrr wrote: »
    not purchasable via crystals...guess "playing the game > instant money"

looking forward to seeing him in action.

I wonder what Jedi hunter and Battle Damaged difference is? Does he have a cape in one? Obvious one of them he looks damaged...

Jedi Hunter is normal grievous, Battle Damaged is the same thing with damage like scorch marks and probably circuits. He's getting another skin in November which is probably caped
    0np8u7zs8tne.gif
  • Where is the "General Kenobi" Voice line or autoresponse to the Obi-Wan "Hello there" future emote? I hope that will be one or all the fans will be **** when Obi-Wan releases and the most iconic interaction/meme is not there...
  • looks verry nice and cool but. pls fix the match making its so crap always waiting and waiting can not play like this
  • Thanks for the detailed run-down. Can't wait to finally get my hands on grevious and use some classic Bf2 emotes.
  • Too little, too late. Should have got around to releasing this stuff way before this. Now you’re competing with RDR2, COD: BO4, and others. Not disappointed in Grievous, just disappointed he wasn’t added prior to this point.
  • StarWars0525
    1686 posts Member
    edited October 23
    accpdhiw2iwo.jpeg

Reminds me of the old battlefront. Sweet memories
  • Alex64
    4821 posts Member
    I'm gonna feedback, feedback!
    It's gonna take a few more minutes for you to clear up your head.
  • looks good a bit worried about unrelenting advance though hope its not to slow like in the movies.
  • I can't wait for Grievous to be released. I was disappointed with the fact that the quote " back away! I will deal with this Jedi slime myself" wasn't added for an emote or even a voice line. I can't believe that got overlooked cause that's one of Grievous's popular quotes. I requested months ago on here for Grievous to have that quote as an emote. Same goes for the " your lightsabers will make a fine addition to my collection" quote. At least that's a voice line but it could have been a perfect response for Darth Vader's I find your lack of faith disturbing emote. I will deal with this Jedi slime quote would have been when approaching an opponent. Just saying cause that wasn't right.
  • This looks like a blast. I can't wait to see what he's like next week
  • Cant waaaaait!!!! I love general grievous! Only thing I didnt like was the name of that one card. "Cowardly retreat"? That's cold blooded, what about "tactical retreat"? I think that sounds a lot better for a general!
  • I haven't heard that name in a long time... a long time.
    I've been one of those fanboys who's been dying inside to play as the cyborg general, and I can't wait for the 30th. The tease of Geonosis in the background is quite epic too, so many little details are just right on him, you even give him the nasty **** or rheum from his close-up in 'Sith! Better yet, sounds like his Star Cards are pretty good all-round, assuming his abilities are all solid, and I do wish he could use his Heavy Blaster Pistol : /. BUT HE CAN BLOCK!!!
    I'll be counting the days till his launch.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • this is where the fun begins
  • Cant waaaaait!!!! I love general grievous! Only thing I didnt like was the name of that one card. "Cowardly retreat"? That's cold blooded, what about "tactical retreat"? I think that sounds a lot better for a general!

Plus 1
  • Yes! Cannot wait to not only play as him, but also to play with him (when being controlled by other players) as both my ally and my formidable opponent. :smiley:
  • Looking closely at the picture their on Geonosis. It will be droids default skin on that map like the clones on Kamino.
    I was excited to see Grievous. Maybe next I'll get excited again since I have the credits to unlock him.
    pija5nbcgaah.jpg

"This is a mission of peace. I put my faith in diplomacy. We can't solve all of our problems by throwing troops at them."
    -Padmé Amidala
  • Awesome, but still no OOM9... Nice job, though!
    34klo3e3nlma.jpeg
    Threads Want
    I want...
    El-16HFE rof buff
    Engineer class
    OOM-9
    Dual pistols
    Commando class, ARC, commando droid, Inferno Squad, Insurgent, Shock Trooper(FO), assassin(Resistance).
    Umbara
    Utapau
    Heavy/Light vehicle classes
    Dwarf spider droid
    Homing Spider Droid
    Snail Tank
    Saber tank
    RO Jedha tank
    Actual bombs coming out of the bomber.
    RO season

I could say the same thing about Padmé Amidala.
    pija5nbcgaah.jpg

"This is a mission of peace. I put my faith in diplomacy. We can't solve all of our problems by throwing troops at them."
    -Padmé Amidala
  • Cool! Will Grievous block?
    jexdw69dwod3.png
  • JMaster
    1894 posts Member
    Cool! Will Grievous block?
    Apparently so!
    For base attack sequences, General Grievous swings two lightsabers. While on defense, he can also use the same to deflect enemy sabers and blaster shots.
    https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/the-general-grievous-update-is-coming-october-30
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • Thank you Ben! Can’t wait for this and next month, you guys are doing a great job keep up the great work.
  • I was wondering if it would ever be possible to have more than 4 emotes for all the heroes and villains, orat least more for the new heroes?
  • i hope Claw Rush ends up being better than it sounds
  • I'm so very excited for his release, i can't wait to both play as him and fight against him. He sounds like he would be an absolute beast to fight one on one, i look forward to that challenge!

I could say the same thing about Padmé Amidala.

Or Ahsoka. But Grievous is the coolest villain
    0np8u7zs8tne.gif
  • Can't wait to play
    With my skill it would be months before being able to play since people always want him lol
  • JMaster wrote: »
    Cool! Will Grievous block?
    Apparently so!
    For base attack sequences, General Grievous swings two lightsabers. While on defense, he can also use the same to deflect enemy sabers and blaster shots.
    https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/the-general-grievous-update-is-coming-october-30

While on defence. That could also mean that he can block only when unrelenting advance is activated.
    We know for sure next week but imo that should be only way he can block blasters.
  • ...Why would they give him a normal blaster block? Blocking sabers is fine for him. Blocking blasters is not.
    Heart of darkness beateth, Ultima
    Iron enigma treateth, Ultima
    Shielding light retreateth, Ultima
    Hydaelyn defeated. Ah, Ultima

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

22kciqve3jgt.gif
  • Can't wait to play as general grievous. I can't image work went into him as his very different lightsaber user. Nice now everything laid out. Bring on October 30th.
    63pjujouc7co.png
    "if You Only Knew The Power Of The Dark Side"~Darth Vader.