criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

How the game itself can help to improve player skill, and thus improve balanced matchmaking

White_Valkyrie
51 posts Member
edited October 2018
The biggest problem for Battlefront 2, aside from glitches, bugs, and broken mechanics is Unbalanced Gameplay. All too often your are either on a Team that swiftly WINS or gets slaughtered in DEFEAT.

Teamwork, Skill, and actual Objective Play are all things that lead a team to a Victory. I appreciate DICE's attempt to trying to figure out ways to bring balance to a multiplayer session. But one thing DICE can't do is affect the Skill Play of the actual player to bring help bring balance to the team. Or can they?

I'm a pretty decent gamer (Top 5 player usually now), but I started Battlefront 2 about 3.5 months after the game came out. It was frustrating to me how, IMO I'm a pretty decent player at almost every game, was getting my butt kicked in a GA match. So I took it upon myself to learn how to get better, or what are the Top Players doing that I'm not. I went on the Forums and watched some YouTube Videos, and just played. There was a gradual learning curve, but some part of it was just learning or watching others.

With most video games there is a lot of stuff you either have to just learn and figure out yourself or ask/watch others. I would probably be accurate in saying most people don't watch YouTube Gameplay Videos or surf Reddit or Developer Forums. Hence, why when you play you see such a discrepancy at the end of a match. Yes sometimes you get your butt kicked or do the butt kicking so it is heavily skewed to one team. But in a generally "even" or somewhat balanced match you see 3 Tiers: The Vastly Skilled, The Mid-Tiers, and The I Don't Know What I'm Doing.

Until Matchmaking gets better, sometimes you just have to accept that your going to play with players that aren't good or really helpful in doing anything. You know they're either Casual Players they just want to play something for a bit or Competitive Players that think they're good but they're really not. Most people aren't going to take it upon themselves look around and make themselves better players or learn the things that the game just doesn't explicitly tell you.

So why doesn't the Game Itself have things, in the Game, that actually can help the Player Learn?

- Have a Tips Tab or Box that links to a Blogger that gives Game Tips/Videos. People don't want to take it upon themselves to actively search for things, or they don't know what to search for. But there are Gameplay Videos that can actually help you improve. If it is directly linked from the Game people might actually click on it to watch a 5 minute video.

- Or take captured recorded gameplay videos of top players so you can watch and see what they did during the game?

- Have a Developer Video like in Battlefield 1 that shows Gameplay Tips, Objective Suggestions, or ways to Counter things that are harassing your team.

- Make a Tutorial Multiplayer Mode where you can play Galactic Assault, but with the understanding that it is for learning and teaching others. You could have Top Tier Players matched into Squads with Less Skilled Players. Allow for Open Mic conversation between the Squad so that the Leader who is a Top Player can instruct, coach, or give commands to the Less Skilled Players. If the Squad Leader is a harasser or troll, have a way that the learning players can kick out tool leader.

- Have Emotes that give orders or instructions rather a Soldier Crying or saying "Look the Droids were looking for".

I know there is brief "Tips" on the Loading Screens but people either don't read it or don't listen to it. (Ex. If you can't push the Objective, trying Flanking to the Sides or something to that effect), but a lot of people don't actually do it.

It can be frustrating when you see something that is a good suggestion that needs to be done but there is no way to quickly communicate it or they have no idea about how things work in the game.

Just a few brief examples:
- You do Increased Damage by flanking behind AT-STs and hitting them in the Rear with Ion Torpedoes. You can single handedly take one out by yourself.

- Sniping by Straffing Left/Right with the Left Stick and slightly adjusting your aim with the Right Stick is quicker and easier line up a headshot, then aiming with the Right Stick only and standing as a stationary target. Plus you as a moving target are more difficult to be yourself killed.

- At a chokepoint, like on Theed Phase 2 for example, setting a Bubble Shield allows your infantry and Heroes to push the Front-Line, and allow your Saber Heroes close enough range to attack.

- Every Map, at nearly every point, has a Flanking Point, to either hit them frorm the Side or a Surprise Attack from the Rear. Example, as an Attacker on Kamino, you can attack them from the Rear by taking the Left Walkway below, or you can be sneaky and go around the Wall from the Ledge Above the Stairs and drop down to the corridor to Flank them in the Rear.

- There is no way to communicate to other players that you need help taking an objective, such as through an emote or mic. So when you see 6 Snipers up top of the Ridge on Jakku Phase 1 and the Objective is being taken over with no contesting at the objective, there is no way to communicate "hey help push up, trying sniping closer to the objective from the their flank".

- Most battles are won due to team work, smart play and playing the objective. Demonstrate in a 1 minute video highlight how a team works more effective. You can show how a Flametrooper or 2 works well supporting Kylo or Vader for example. Or how a team of Wookies are difficult to push when grouped with Yoda or "Mr. Big Deal". But most people I seriously think don't realize this. Only most of the Top Tier or Middle Tier players.

- You get more Battlepoints by playing the objective and supporting than just kills.

My point is people just don't know how to play. They haven't figured out how to coordinate together and they don't know the small details of the game, that the game never tells you or makes very subtle. There is currently no means of communication unless you are in a Group Chat with Friends or they get the idea of what you're trying to tell them when you decide to be a troll and shoot the non-effective sniper in the face and block their LOS down the the scope. "Too many people at the back of the sniping, and not enough people playing the objective. Either chose another class and help out or move up and try to kill enemies closer or at the objective."

Show brief Tips/Videos that are easily accessible for Players to Learn some of the nuisances of the game instead of making them having to do the work for themselves, because most wont. Allow more means of communication. Offer some sort of Tutorial Mode where the teaching Skilled Leader can earn extra credits as incentive for trying to growth others. Encourage teamwork by players sticking together. This could be as small as a Passive 20% Health Regen Increase by sticking within a certain Radius. Or just continue to reinforce this idea along with Objective Play through on more obvious on-screen tips. Again, I think most people don't realize that you actually earn more Battlepoints by playing the Objective than actually getting Kills. How many times do you see people posting similar to this point on the forums?

These are just a few ideas, but I know a lot of these ideas are implemented in other games. So in a game that seems to have so many disadvantages in terms of "Balanced Matchmaking" why not implement them here. I wouldn't be hard to do and would at least be a better band-aid. So rather than have a constant barrage of posts about Matchmaking Issues, these are a few progressive steps that can help to quickly alleviate the Learning Curve.
Post edited by White_Valkyrie on

Replies

• Hear, hear!
  • “6 snipers on the ridge at Jakku”. Man that drives me nuts as the defenders.
  • rollind24
    5021 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I think the problem is there are too many things to be good at honestly. Is the match making accounting for Hero/ enforcer/ trooper play or does it account for one more than the other? While someone might excel in a match because they got a specific hero they might be lackluster the next match since they don’t get a specific unit they are used to.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • I've seen maybe one player who was "vastly skilled."
  • The in game 'Tip' suggestion is a good idea for new players, I think they had it in BF2015?
    Obviously studying the game will aid any player, but I'm starting to think it's impossible to balance teams regularly because the core of the game itself is so unbalanced.
    Take weapon progression, new players start with a very weak gun so as well as lacking 'game time' experience their overpowered by just about everything. Star Cards exacerbate the situation even more.
    Everyone must have had a game where they are on a weaker team but your doing well so you can carry them enough to stay in contention, then the Enforcers/Heroes are unlocked and the unbalance becomes even more pronounced as already weaker players are now faced with an even more vastly overpowered team. So much so that even 1 or 2 players doing well will find themselves overwhelmed.
    Best example that springs to mind was a game of Blast I played where our team massacred our weaker opponents 83-0 finishing with 4 Dark Troopers in the top 5 spots, that's ridiculously OP for an 8v8 and shouldn't be allowed to occur in any game.
    Look at how many people quit matches, sometimes before the games even really started. It happens far more than in any other game I've played and it's because once the imbalance of a team becomes evident it's impossible to overcome so people just give up trying.
    Balanced matches that go down to the wire do occur, but from my experience only rarely and certainly not enough to convince players that BF2 is a worth sticking around for.
    It's a shame, because buried underneath all the unbalanced OP gimmicks there is the makings of a really good game here.
  • COskibum wrote: »
    “6 snipers on the ridge at Jakku”. Man that drives me nuts as the defenders.

It's very infuriating, the thing is sniping is fun, people like it and this map is good for it. I main sniper but you have to have a balance and team awareness. When defending j normally play as assault on stage 1 jakku or flank to the sides so I can support the objective if needs be when playing as a sniper. I'm hoping conquest will be a bigger more tactical sniper friendly mode
  • The biggest problem for Battlefront 2, aside from glitches, bugs, and broken mechanics is Unbalanced Gameplay. All too often your are either on a Team that swiftly WINS or gets slaughtered in DEFEAT.

Teamwork, Skill, and actual Objective Play are all things that lead a team to a Victory. I appreciate DICE's attempt to trying to figure out ways to bring balance to a multiplayer session. But one thing DICE can't do is affect the Skill Play of the actual player to bring help bring balance to the team. Or can they?

I'm a pretty decent gamer (Top 5 player usually now), but I started Battlefront 2 about 3.5 months after the game came out. It was frustrating to me how, IMO I'm a pretty decent player at almost every game, was getting my butt kicked in a GA match. So I took it upon myself to learn how to get better, or what are the Top Players doing that I'm not. I went on the Forums and watched some YouTube Videos, and just played. There was a gradual learning curve, but some part of it was just learning or watching others.

With most video games there is a lot of stuff you either have to just learn and figure out yourself or ask/watch others. I would probably be accurate in saying most people don't watch YouTube Gameplay Videos or surf Reddit or Developer Forums. Hence, why when you play you see such a discrepancy at the end of a match. Yes sometimes you get your butt kicked or do the butt kicking so it is heavily skewed to one team. But in a generally "even" or somewhat balanced match you see 3 Tiers: The Vastly Skilled, The Mid-Tiers, and The I Don't Know What I'm Doing.

Until Matchmaking gets better, sometimes you just have to accept that your going to play with players that aren't good or really helpful in doing anything. You know they're either Casual Players they just want to play something for a bit or Competitive Players that think they're good but they're really not. Most people aren't going to take it upon themselves look around and make themselves better players or learn the things that the game just doesn't explicitly tell you.

So why doesn't the Game Itself have things, in the Game, that actually can help the Player Learn?

- Have a Tips Tab or Box that links to a Blogger that gives Game Tips/Videos. People don't want to take it upon themselves to actively search for things, or they don't know what to search for. But there are Gameplay Videos that can actually help you improve. If it is directly linked from the Game people might actually click on it to watch a 5 minute video.

- Or take captured recorded gameplay videos of top players so you can watch and see what they did during the game?

- Have a Developer Video like in Battlefield 1 that shows Gameplay Tips, Objective Suggestions, or ways to Counter things that are harassing your team.

- Make a Tutorial Multiplayer Mode where you can play Galactic Assault, but with the understanding that it is for learning and teaching others. You could have Top Tier Players matched into Squads with Less Skilled Players. Allow for Open Mic conversation between the Squad so that the Leader who is a Top Player can instruct, coach, or give commands to the Less Skilled Players. If the Squad Leader is a harasser or troll, have a way that the learning players can kick out tool leader.

- Have Emotes that give orders or instructions rather a Soldier Crying or saying "Look the Droids were looking for".

I know there is brief "Tips" on the Loading Screens but people either don't read it or don't listen to it. (Ex. If you can't push the Objective, trying Flanking to the Sides or something to that effect), but a lot of people don't actually do it.

It can be frustrating when you see something that is a good suggestion that needs to be done but there is no way to quickly communicate it or they have no idea about how things work in the game.

- You do Increased Damage by flanking behind AT-STs and hitting them in the Rear with Ion Torpedoes. You can single handedly take one out by yourself.

- Sniping by Straffing Left/Right with the Left Stick and slightly adjusting your aim with the Right Stick is quicker and easier line up a headshot, then aiming with the Right Stick only and standing as a stationary target. Plus you as a moving target are more difficult to be yourself killed.

- At a chokepoint, like on Theed Phase 2 for example, setting a Bubble Shield allows your infantry and Heroes to push the Front-Line, and allow your Saber Heroes close enough range to attack.

- Every Map, at nearly every point, has a Flanking Point, to either hit them frorm the Side or a Surprise Attack from the Rear. Example, as an Attacker on Kamino, you can attack them from the Rear by taking the Left Walkway below, or you can be sneaky and go around the Wall from the Ledge Above the Stairs and drop down to the corridor to Flank them in the Rear.

- There is no way to communicate to other players that you need help taking an objective, such as through an emote or mic. So when you see 6 Snipers up top of the Ridge on Jakku Phase 1 and the Objective is being taken over with no contesting at the objective, there is no way to communicate "hey help push up, trying sniping closer to the objective from the their flank".

- Most battles are won due to team work, smart play and playing the objective. Demonstrate in a 1 minute video highlight how a team works more effective. You can show how a Flametrooper or 2 works well supporting Kylo or Vader for example. Or how a team of Wookies are difficult to push when grouped with Yoda or "Mr. Big Deal". But most people I seriously think don't realize this. Only most of the Top Tier or Middle Tier players.

- You get more Battlepoints by playing the objective and supporting than just kills.

My point is people just don't know how to play. They haven't figured out how to coordinate together and they don't know the small details of the game, that the game never tells you or makes very subtle. There is currently no means of communication unless you are in a Group Chat with Friends or they get the idea of what you're trying to tell them when you decide to be a troll and shoot the non-effective sniper in the face and block their LOS down the the scope. "Too many people at the back of the sniping, and not enough people playing the objective. Either chose another class and help out or move up and try to kill enemies closer or at the objective."

Show brief Tips/Videos that are easily accessible for Players to Learn some of the nuisances of the game instead of making them having to do the work for themselves, because most wont. Allow more means of communication. Offer some sort of Tutorial Mode where the teaching Skilled Leader can earn extra credits as incentive for trying to growth others. Encourage teamwork by players sticking together. This could be as small as a Passive 20% Health Regen Increase by sticking within a certain Radius. Or just continue to reinforce this idea along with Objective Play through on more obvious on-screen tips. Again, I think most people don't realize that you actually earn more Battlepoints by playing the Objective than actually getting Kills. How many times do you see people posting similar to this point on the forums?

These are just a few ideas, but I know a lot of these ideas are implemented in other games. So in a game that seems to have so many disadvantages in terms of "Balanced Matchmaking" why not implement them here. I wouldn't be hard to do and would at least be a better band-aid. So rather than have a constant barrage of posts about Matchmaking Issues, these are a few progressive steps that can help to quickly alleviate the Learning Curve.

I think I agree with pretty much everything you said there. Well said!

Being one of the distinctly average players, who still manages to get stomped on fairly regularly, I’d welcome the opportunity to help others get better via better communication options, as well as receive any hints or tips I can get (whether from the game itself or from other players communicating to me, voice or emote), to improve my game.
    I’ve been playing BF2 for a while, but seem to have hit a plateau, recently (probably need to get myself into a team, rather than solo with other randoms).

And I’ve been longing for a tutorial mode, or at least a separate mode for the top tier players, where they can play each other (and finally discover if they are a god-like as they think they are), while us middle-tier and new players go into a casual mode, where we get a chance to improve and learn, because we’re not frustrated by dying every 2 seconds.

P.S. I also agree with the other poster who talked about the imbalances in the way new players are already up against it because of poor basic weapons, etc.
    Apart from improving those basic weapons though, I can’t see an easy way to get around it... but I can see how some of the OPs suggestions might go some way towards making it a little less painful for new players.
  • timbad_2 wrote: »
    The biggest problem for Battlefront 2, aside from glitches, bugs, and broken mechanics is Unbalanced Gameplay. All too often your are either on a Team that swiftly WINS or gets slaughtered in DEFEAT.

I think I agree with pretty much everything you said there. Well said!

Being one of the distinctly average players, who still manages to get stomped on fairly regularly, I’d welcome the opportunity to help others get better via better communication options, as well as receive any hints or tips I can get (whether from the game itself or from other players communicating to me, voice or emote), to improve my game.
    I’ve been playing BF2 for a while, but seem to have hit a plateau, recently (probably need to get myself into a team, rather than solo with other randoms).

And I’ve been longing for a tutorial mode, or at least a separate mode for the top tier players, where they can play each other (and finally discover if they are a god-like as they think they are), while us middle-tier and new players go into a casual mode, where we get a chance to improve and learn, because we’re not frustrated by dying every 2 seconds.

P.S. I also agree with the other poster who talked about the imbalances in the way new players are already up against it because of poor basic weapons, etc.
    Apart from improving those basic weapons though, I can’t see an easy way to get around it... but I can see how some of the OPs suggestions might go some way towards making it a little less painful for new players.

I agree
    Ace speeder pilot.
    http://bit.ly/2smYu2B playa from day 1 when shift was real
  • OOM19
    2831 posts Member
    Rebalance the q button abilities on heroes
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

Suppor The Latest OOM-9 Thread
    [url="https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121855/grievous-vs-oom-9/p1/p1[/url]

jexdw69dwod3.png
  • bfloo
    14086 posts Member
    There is no way to force people to pto. For whatever reason, the focus is on kill farming.

3 or 4 pto players can dominate GA, because they take objectives unopposed.

The best bet I see to fix it is large scale tdm with vehicles, heores, reinforcements, etc, give a 500 ticket count and hope the kill farmers go there so we can have competitive objective modes.

The small modes worked in the 2015 game because the kill farmers were usually in WA or Supremacy or the newest DLC. DS was great for objective play after Rogue One came out.

This issue happens in every shooter now, it isn't just this game.

The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• The biggest handicap for new players is that the “Default” guns just suck. More than upgraded Star Cards, new players get such a bump up by unlocking another weapon, especially with unlocked weapon mods.

I dont know if it has changed now, but it was a sucky grind. I got no qualms with someone who is a low level. So when i see a couple snipers in the back it doesnt bug me. You have to get kills in order to get a better gun. I get that. They figure they can get a couple potshots a game to grind the rifle for example, rather than dying closer up front. Could they play closer to the objective or more aggressive closer quarters? Yes. I can play as a Specialist with the “NT” usually playing Medium-to-Short Range and near the objective and do really really well, but I’ve been playing for awhile and have nearly everything maxed out. I know how to play and ive figured a lot of things out that are effective.

But I find it extremely hard to believe in some games like Jakku for example, all 6 or whatever of those guys on the ridge are noobs. If your a Lvl 30+ and your end game score is ~4000-5000 with 3-7 kills after 30 minutes, while i have 28,000 score with 42 kills, and having never played a Hero or Reinforcement, something doesnt add up. When i see me and 4 other guys on my team with a high score and then a majority of the rest of my team under 7 kills or <6000 score, i know you just werent playing smart. I dont judge people soley by kills, score matters too. I understand when people join up mid match, but that reflects it with there 2 kills and 1000 score. But i see some of these players on the battlefield. I know after 3-4 rounds who on my team is good and who is just Bantha Fodder. I make note, he’s in are top 7 on our team, help him out or work with him. Even if your not that good, or just started with none of the guns or cards unlocked there are still things you can do to help the team. And this is usallu reflected by your end game score. When i see it during the game like a Specialist or Heavy shooting an LAAT trying to sap my health as a Hero i try to thank them after the game. I appreciate the help, or thanks for staying close to me giving me support or spotting enemies i didnt notice right next to me, but people dont understand is truly what i believe.

Rollind24 I agree with what you have to say. There is a lot of different skills and tactics you have to develop. This is nothing new and happens in every game, but im asking for a proactive step by the developer to quicken the learning curve. Show them how to be a team-player. Just because your not in the Top 5 doesnt mean you werent helping your team. I get it. What I am stating is I dont like seeing TWO major polar opposites. The “Helping the Team” and the “Wasting Tickets”. It should be around 75% of the team “Playing and Helping” and <25% “Trying to figure things out”. At the very least stick near your heroes and provide back up. But seeing a heavy amount of my teammates in the back of the map, 5-6 minutes where a tank is wrecking havick, standing by myself at a flanking position with no one that comes to help or at the very least spawn on me, or Yoda standing right next to the Ion Launcher but no one goes to pick it up even those he is clearing showing, ill give you cover is extremly frustrating. I think if people were to see what is effective it would help people to repeat it. “I SEE, I DO”. A one sentence tip in small font in the bottom right-hand corner during the loading map screen isnt helpful.

I’ve played many! of games where i ONLY played a standard trooper (No Hero, No Wookie, No AT-ST, No LAAT) and was Top. Because it can be more benficial to the team to play a trooper and counter whats harassing us. Like switching to a Heavy on Crait and destroying every AT-STs BY MYSELF in Phase 2 so they dont push us from defending. What is frustrating is when you’re getting a beatdown on a Losing Team. There are often times quite a number of people that never change things up to help the Team. You can be not very good at shooting, but it shouldnt be to hard to flank.

Thats why i wish they had like Developer Tips Videos or Top Players Recordings available to view from in the game. If your really dont understand how to play, have a 1-2 minute video to show them how its done.

When were getting a smackdown on Tatooine for example, I get it the server is unbalanced. Fine. I usually try to stick it out 1-2 hrs till it finally balances or momentum switches over to my side when some more skillful/team oriented players join. But i think its boring for both sides when you play 4 rounds in a row with matches <8 minutes in length. At least change things up as a player to slow them down a little. “THAT!!!!” is my problem. The problem is they dont know what to do. I feel like me and one other guy on my team are the only ones that understand that. If something isnt workin, try something different. If Palp is tearing you up on the Left Side of the map on Theed and you got no supporting or hero units yets, go help on the Right Side of the Map to launch the Ion Launcher over there. Make Palp work for it by having to move back and forth between both sides of the map. Running up to him by yourself doesnt help, just gives him more health. Or if your a better player, okay move to where he is but be sneaky and get behind him and either kill him or take a large quantity of his health. Then he will play paranoid by the guy who is continually trying to flank behind him and kill him, and less time playing aggressive up front destroying everyone trying to shoot of the launchers.

So give them some Tips that shows them, to help them understand. Back to Tatooine example, i understand the Heroes are gonna chop you up. But its exacerbated by the AT-STs going on a 30-Killstreak unabated. Rather than removing 3% Health with the Heavy’s Sentry and dying, show them to sneak behind the AT-ST, fire 3 ion torpedoes from the sides and finish it off with a few Sentey or Gun shots or 2 ions or just your sentry attacking its rear. Or if u unlock a LS Hero for example and know there is 3-4 DS Heroes tearing up your team. Do what you can, but understand a 1 v 4 battle is basically pointless. Defend the objective as best as you can, but survive with as much health as you can and wait to regroup during another Phase when there are at least 1 or 2 other LS Heroes that can help you to challenge the DS Heroes. Part of the problem is as soon as you unlock a Hero people just go kamikazee suicide. Wondering off by themselves where the 4 DS Heroes can then tease you by just blowing in air into both of your ear and then when their done toying with easily finishing you off. Unless your Rey and can suprise them, be smart. Everyone depletes all their BP so there is never even an opportunity to make a Last Stand. Part of the reason a team gets so plowed over is because they never even give themselves an opportunity to put up a little bit of resistance.

As a new player or someone who isnt very good i understand its hard or takes time to learn. But watching an effective strategy and trying to repeat is almost as good as learning from experience. Like i said in the beginning there are just some things in the game that are never explicitly stated or shown. Have it available in game where they dont have to go out actively searchjng for it because they wont. Another very brief mention why it would be helpful. Most people dont go to the forums to read the patch updates. So they never know things changed. Ex. 3 guys layed down Ion Turrets as a Heavy inside the Console Room of Phase 1 Kamino, still thinking it attacked Infantry. But it is never shown anywhere in the game that they made that change.

A One Sentence Point: ARCADE MODE doesnt make you a better Multiplayer Player.

Last repeat mention, I strongly suggest their be a change for Command Emotes or Mic chat. It is a disadvantage to Console Players when PC players have a textbox. If you dont like the guy or he is trolling on the mic, there is a simple mute button and/or report him. Some people dont want to form a party to mic chat, I get that. But at least let him have the opportunity to be able to listen to what your trying to communicate to him.
  • The biggest handicap for new players is that the “Default” guns just suck. More than upgraded Star Cards, new players get such a bump up by unlocking another weapon, especially with unlocked weapon mods.

I dont know if it has changed now, but it was a sucky grind. I got no qualms with someone who is a low level. So when i see a couple snipers in the back it doesnt bug me. You have to get kills in order to get a better gun. I get that. They figure they can get a couple potshots a game to grind the rifle for example, rather than dying closer up front. Could they play closer to the objective or more aggressive closer quarters? Yes. I can play as a Specialist with the “NT” usually playing Medium-to-Short Range and near the objective and do really really well, but I’ve been playing for awhile and have nearly everything maxed out. I know how to play and ive figured a lot of things out that are effective.

But I find it extremely hard to believe in some games like Jakku for example, all 6 or whatever of those guys on the ridge are noobs. If your a Lvl 30+ and your end game score is ~4000-5000 with 3-7 kills after 30 minutes, while i have 28,000 score with 42 kills, and having never played a Hero or Reinforcement, something doesnt add up. When i see me and 4 other guys on my team with a high score and then a majority of the rest of my team under 7 kills or <6000 score, i know you just werent playing smart. I dont judge people soley by kills, score matters too. I understand when people join up mid match, but that reflects it with there 2 kills and 1000 score. But i see some of these players on the battlefield. I know after 3-4 rounds who on my team is good and who is just Bantha Fodder. I make note, he’s in are top 7 on our team, help him out or work with him. Even if your not that good, or just started with none of the guns or cards unlocked there are still things you can do to help the team. And this is usallu reflected by your end game score. When i see it during the game like a Specialist or Heavy shooting an LAAT trying to sap my health as a Hero i try to thank them after the game. I appreciate the help, or thanks for staying close to me giving me support or spotting enemies i didnt notice right next to me, but people dont understand is truly what i believe.

Rollind24 I agree with what you have to say. There is a lot of different skills and tactics you have to develop. This is nothing new and happens in every game, but im asking for a proactive step by the developer to quicken the learning curve. Show them how to be a team-player. Just because your not in the Top 5 doesnt mean you werent helping your team. I get it. What I am stating is I dont like seeing TWO major polar opposites. The “Helping the Team” and the “Wasting Tickets”. It should be around 75% of the team “Playing and Helping” and <25% “Trying to figure things out”. At the very least stick near your heroes and provide back up. But seeing a heavy amount of my teammates in the back of the map, 5-6 minutes where a tank is wrecking havick, standing by myself at a flanking position with no one that comes to help or at the very least spawn on me, or Yoda standing right next to the Ion Launcher but no one goes to pick it up even those he is clearing showing, ill give you cover is extremly frustrating. I think if people were to see what is effective it would help people to repeat it. “I SEE, I DO”. A one sentence tip in small font in the bottom right-hand corner during the loading map screen isnt helpful.

I’ve played many! of games where i ONLY played a standard trooper (No Hero, No Wookie, No AT-ST, No LAAT) and was Top. Because it can be more benficial to the team to play a trooper and counter whats harassing us. Like switching to a Heavy on Crait and destroying every AT-STs BY MYSELF in Phase 2 so they dont push us from defending. What is frustrating is when you’re getting a beatdown on a Losing Team. There are often times quite a number of people that never change things up to help the Team. You can be not very good at shooting, but it shouldnt be to hard to flank.

Thats why i wish they had like Developer Tips Videos or Top Players Recordings available to view from in the game. If your really dont understand how to play, have a 1-2 minute video to show them how its done.

When were getting a smackdown on Tatooine for example, I get it the server is unbalanced. Fine. I usually try to stick it out 1-2 hrs till it finally balances or momentum switches over to my side when some more skillful/team oriented players join. But i think its boring for both sides when you play 4 rounds in a row with matches <8 minutes in length. At least change things up as a player to slow them down a little. “THAT!!!!” is my problem. The problem is they dont know what to do. I feel like me and one other guy on my team are the only ones that understand that. If something isnt workin, try something different. If Palp is tearing you up on the Left Side of the map on Theed and you got no supporting or hero units yets, go help on the Right Side of the Map to launch the Ion Launcher over there. Make Palp work for it by having to move back and forth between both sides of the map. Running up to him by yourself doesnt help, just gives him more health. Or if your a better player, okay move to where he is but be sneaky and get behind him and either kill him or take a large quantity of his health. Then he will play paranoid by the guy who is continually trying to flank behind him and kill him, and less time playing aggressive up front destroying everyone trying to shoot of the launchers.

So give them some Tips that shows them, to help them understand. Back to Tatooine example, i understand the Heroes are gonna chop you up. But its exacerbated by the AT-STs going on a 30-Killstreak unabated. Rather than removing 3% Health with the Heavy’s Sentry and dying, show them to sneak behind the AT-ST, fire 3 ion torpedoes from the sides and finish it off with a few Sentey or Gun shots or 2 ions or just your sentry attacking its rear. Or if u unlock a LS Hero for example and know there is 3-4 DS Heroes tearing up your team. Do what you can, but understand a 1 v 4 battle is basically pointless. Defend the objective as best as you can, but survive with as much health as you can and wait to regroup during another Phase when there are at least 1 or 2 other LS Heroes that can help you to challenge the DS Heroes. Part of the problem is as soon as you unlock a Hero people just go kamikazee suicide. Wondering off by themselves where the 4 DS Heroes can then tease you by just blowing in air into both of your ear and then when their done toying with easily finishing you off. Unless your Rey and can suprise them, be smart. Everyone depletes all their BP so there is never even an opportunity to make a Last Stand. Part of the reason a team gets so plowed over is because they never even give themselves an opportunity to put up a little bit of resistance.

As a new player or someone who isnt very good i understand its hard or takes time to learn. But watching an effective strategy and trying to repeat is almost as good as learning from experience. Like i said in the beginning there are just some things in the game that are never explicitly stated or shown. Have it available in game where they dont have to go out actively searchjng for it because they wont. Another very brief mention why it would be helpful. Most people dont go to the forums to read the patch updates. So they never know things changed. Ex. 3 guys layed down Ion Turrets as a Heavy inside the Console Room of Phase 1 Kamino, still thinking it attacked Infantry. But it is never shown anywhere in the game that they made that change.

A One Sentence Point: ARCADE MODE doesnt make you a better Multiplayer Player.

Last repeat mention, I strongly suggest their be a change for Command Emotes or Mic chat. It is a disadvantage to Console Players when PC players have a textbox. If you dont like the guy or he is trolling on the mic, there is a simple mute button and/or report him. Some people dont want to form a party to mic chat, I get that. But at least let him have the opportunity to be able to listen to what your trying to communicate to him.

Not reading all that but, you said default guns suck?? The e11 is dope for the assault class, the dc guns for the clones are good as well
  • It was a sarcastic exageration with the Default guns, sorry. But there are particular maps or phases where another gun can be or are more advantageous.
  • Dash
    11479 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Let’s not kid ourselves here. #1 culprit is the MM itself. That being said, the #2 culprit is players. Rage quits, groups leave and reque, randoms get stomped. Or my favorite, “it killed me and proceeds to come to forums for nerf request”.

So again, MM #1 in needing to be fixed. #2 =
    sgbxpqiy9i4f.gif

Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• White_Valkyrie
    51 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Dash wrote: »
    Let’s not kid ourselves here. #1 culprit is the MM itself. That being said, the #2 culprit is players. Rage quits, groups leave and reque, randoms get stomped. Or my favorite, “it killed me and proceeds to come to forums for nerf request”.

So again, MM #1 in needing to be fixed.

#Truth

I am in total agreement.

My sincerest apologies for the long-winded statements. I understand if people will not chose to read it.

My simple point is that since it is difficult for the Developer to please in directly addressing this issue, they can help a little bit by passively making other less difficult/radical changes.
  • bfloo
    14086 posts Member

sgbxpqiy9i4f.gif

don't forget #3, a chance to counter attack

h846398gb27k.png

• Dash
    11479 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

sgbxpqiy9i4f.gif

don't forget #3, a chance to counter attack

Yes. Almost forgot #3. +1
    Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Koon
    rjy4wg9w86wa.gif

• I think it‘s not the dev‘s responsibility to make players become better. Take Halo or CS for example - those are core arena shooters that require a lot of grinding time but you have to be good in them.
    This is a casual game. When I dropped from Halo bc of the toxic scene and its latest, imo weaker, installment, I did that on porpuse to get a fresh more casual game where you can get better easy and it was very easy to get good. I think it‘s just a gamer‘s experience watching those vids and realizing there are guides and tips out there.
    I think the game and the teammates are fine. Of course they are very very very bad sometimes but it is ok bc this game is not looking for balance, tight games etc. like Halo or CS. It is looking for an overall fun, good looking experience.
    For me it was very ez to git gud lol :D basically if you come from Halo (high onyx tier) I quickly realized what was strong, what was broken, what was OP and which things were useless. It‘s part of the greater grind to become better.

BUT I think a game chat should be implemented. It would be easy to communicate and have fun with strangers. I think that‘s a major issue that provides ppl from doing objective play bc they are not familiar with the mechanics. But as I said don‘t try to change the learning curve artificially.
  • bfloo
    14086 posts Member
    I think it‘s not the dev‘s responsibility to make players become better. Take Halo or CS for example - those are core arena shooters that require a lot of grinding time but you have to be good in them.
    This is a casual game. When I dropped from Halo bc of the toxic scene and its latest, imo weaker, installment, I did that on porpuse to get a fresh more casual game where you can get better easy and it was very easy to get good. I think it‘s just a gamer‘s experience watching those vids and realizing there are guides and tips out there.
    I think the game and the teammates are fine. Of course they are very very very bad sometimes but it is ok bc this game is not looking for balance, tight games etc. like Halo or CS. It is looking for an overall fun, good looking experience.
    For me it was very ez to git gud lol :D basically if you come from Halo (high onyx tier) I quickly realized what was strong, what was broken, what was OP and which things were useless. It‘s part of the greater grind to become better.

BUT I think a game chat should be implemented. It would be easy to communicate and have fun with strangers. I think that‘s a major issue that provides ppl from doing objective play bc they are not familiar with the mechanics. But as I said don‘t try to change the learning curve artificially.

The problem is it isn't fun when 1 team steam rolls every game.

We do want close games where either team can win.

h846398gb27k.png