criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Felucia Transmission
No Match for a Good Blaster

EOR Matchmaking Tweaks

Replies

• I will say that when I can get in to matches, they have been much more competitive. I will also say they my ability to get in to matches has decreased dramatically. A LOT of 1-3 person lobbies. It is infuriating when I finally do get in to a match, and it completes, to be dumped right back in to a lobby with 1-3 people. Hopefully the "tests" will be over soon and we get a polished product. If not, this dumpster fire matchmaking needs to go.
  • We, the people, begged and pleaded for a just representation of a EoM shuffle. What we got, was a self-congratulating server tango.

We gave tons of negative feedback, yet all that was heard was praise.

This, is our candidate:

• Big improvement this week--had snow & freezing temps early on, but now sunny and 79.

Who's this F8RCE? Is the F8RCE with us?
  • I believe F8RCE has gone to the Dark Side. But kudos to the Devs--great work this week. Giving me lots of time to post non-sense in these forums while sitting in the lobby. But I'm getting to that lobby in record time...love the MM. Uh-oh, time for another steam-rolling
  • Avg margin of victory---30 to 50 points. The FARCE is with me--but MM is quicker.
  • For tomorrow's test, everyone requiring corrective lenses must remove said lenses. No point in it--this is just a test. Why must there be a point? May the F8RCE be with you. Just sitting in the lobby musing again...
  • PA14h8sMM wrote: »
    For tomorrow's test, everyone requiring corrective lenses must remove said lenses. No point in it--this is just a test. Why must there be a point? May the F8RCE be with you. Just sitting in the lobby musing again...
    May the FARCE be with you.
    Ace speeder pilot.
    http://bit.ly/2smYu2B playa from day 1 when shift was real
  • sides still too one sided, map rotation is very bad. just end this nonsense now we beg of you!
  • Ok. So I’ve been playing for a few hours now and matchmaking seems to be pretty good. I’ve never been booted from a lobby. I’ve played half the map rotation in order. After every map the teams are shuffled.

I don’t know that there’s a massive change to how close the matches are. But I much prefer this to whatever was going on before.
  • Ok. So I’ve been playing for a few hours now and matchmaking seems to be pretty good. I’ve never been booted from a lobby. I’ve played half the map rotation in order. After every map the teams are shuffled.

I don’t know that there’s a massive change to how close the matches are. But I much prefer this to whatever was going on before.

Agree. The last couple of hours have been excellent play. After giving F8RGE and the Devs a bad time all week, I think they've come through in an outstanding manner. It's been tough to break away from the fast and frantic play. Just like old times, map rotation, rapid EOR to new match, competitive matches. Congrats to the whole development team.
  • So I ventured into the game. Decided to play a game of Heroes v Villains. Had forgotten I'd left the game set to the German server. Lobby I joined looked like this before it filled -

2qm9qf2hwm6t.png

I was not looking at a good game based on what I saw. Turned out game was about to start 2nd Round on Endor. Game went like I feared, we got creamed with the light siders winning 8-0. Our opponents were no higher than level 20 on their heroes, but they stayed together and worked for each other.

So matchmaking hits. I don't click or touch anything. It kicks in. Eventually says I'm off to Kashyyk. This was the lobby when it finished loading -

dcrc8itrd5mw.png

So I start waiting for the lobby to fill. One player drops out, I go and load some washing in my laundry....

I come back 10 minutes later, lobby still waiting to fill. This is what the lobby looked like -

snvd7ktpnfd6.png

In fact the player on the opp'n team came in just before I took that screenshot.

So 10 minutes of waiting, after 1 round of lopsided combat. AS such I quit the lobby and the game.

Yet f8rge, you think this is an improvement? Give me a break.
    51bvn954fmlp.png
  • preach it Roosterman! Being ignored is the worse part well tied with the horrible match making. its sad they are treating the loyal player base like this.
  • kevanwithana
    403 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    This may be a small sample size and I don’t know whether it has to do with the cheap reinforcements, but I have played every map on each side now and the walkers/mtts have been destroyed on every single map by one team.

So the balance is not particularly strong.
  • chaostheory7777
    42 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Empire_TW wrote: »
    This system is a failure and should be turned off immediately.

Yep, tonight had kessel 8 rounds in a row in hvv. That's ridickulous! Matchmaking should be optional not automatic. This system is not fostering teamplay. Leave us in the same lobby! If people want to leave then they can hit the craptastic matchmake button.
  • DarthJ
    6666 posts Member
    Kamykatz wrote: »
    This is a sinking ship and we know it. Like on the Titanic, when water was already flowing in and the band kept on playing to soothe the masses, the devs seemingly try to hypnotize us with "big improvements" and "time to matchmake has dropped considerably", cynically ignoring all the backlash and criticism.

This is a year-old Star Wars game that doesn't even feature some of the most beloved characters of its universe (yet, at least), drip-feeds lackluster content, not to mention the bugs, glitches and server problems (some of which never get addressed).

And yet, we're still here and still care somewhat...not because it's EA, not because it's DICE, or any generic sci-fi shooter. It's purely because it's Star Wars and we want it to be great, while we are still being punished for not going with the original loot crate system.

Agreed. And its not even a year old yet!
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • Eshtazaki wrote: »
    EightMile wrote: »
    Empire_TW wrote: »
    This system is a failure and should be turned off immediately.

Thank you! Turn the failure off.

Yesterday uninstalled SWBF2 - only option available to turn it off for now it seems.

gotta make room for red dead 2 lol
  • They removed the button that gave the illusion of it not being forced onto us and now it's happening by default
  • Chico
    415 posts Member
    Really not sure what is going on now. Although the MM message comes up after the map has been played twice there doesn't seem to be any wait to get to the next lobby. And the best thing is that I played for about 2 hours and no repeat maps.

So, if this is the way it is supposed to work, this is brilliant. A bit of a concern though in that there seemed to be a lot of the same names in all the rounds. So maybe there is no matchmaking going on because of a bug and that is why the experience is back to normal after the horrible last week of empty lobbies and repeat maps. Whatever, if my experience today is repeated from now on, I will be a happy customer again.
  • Hello F8RGE?

Hello EA/DICE?

Hello Devs?

Anyone?

You have asked for our feedback and there has been non-stop feedback here...

Can you listen to to the hundreds of comments here and on reddit and turn this EOR matchmaking system off ASAP please? (or at least make it optional with the button press)
  • Chico wrote: »
    Really not sure what is going on now. Although the MM message comes up after the map has been played twice there doesn't seem to be any wait to get to the next lobby. And the best thing is that I played for about 2 hours and no repeat maps.

So, if this is the way it is supposed to work, this is brilliant. A bit of a concern though in that there seemed to be a lot of the same names in all the rounds. So maybe there is no matchmaking going on because of a bug and that is why the experience is back to normal after the horrible last week of empty lobbies and repeat maps. Whatever, if my experience today is repeated from now on, I will be a happy customer again.

Over the last few days I have been a vocal detractor from the EOR MM test. Repeatedly playing the same maps and still getting switched after great balanced games was really getting to me.

However, I played GA for about an hour last night and it seems like we may have turned the corner. I played three different maps and played as both factions in all three maps. Time between rounds felt like it did a couple of weeks ago - maybe 10 seconds longer at most. Lobbies were filled when I joined (not sure if other players had to wait or not) and most importantly.... there were no steamrolls.

In fact, I had my most enjoyable time playing Starkiller Base that I ever have had. Both rounds went to Overtime in Phase 2 and the First Order won both rounds after going to Overtime in the final round. This is what I want to see from BF2.

I know that we have had a load of bantha poodoo thrown in over the last week but I would encourage everyone to check it out again and see if it is improved for you or not.
    Somewhere between "the sky is falling" and "everything is awesome" lies the truth.
  • awakespace
    1083 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    This still isn't addressing that the primary concern is why is this forced?

Why can we no longer choose to stay with friends, or rivals, or in great matches?

Yes you got to play two good rounds on starkiller, but then were probably sent out into different lobbies even though you had a great thing going.

There is a matchmake button to press at the end of each map. DICE if you make that button work, and thus matchmaking optional instead of forcing it: all of these complaints will vanish instantly.

Skowsa wrote: »
    Chico wrote: »

Over the last few days I have been a vocal detractor from the EOR MM test. Repeatedly playing the same maps and still getting switched after great balanced games was really getting to me.

However, I played GA for about an hour last night and it seems like we may have turned the corner. I played three different maps and played as both factions in all three maps. Time between rounds felt like it did a couple of weeks ago - maybe 10 seconds longer at most. Lobbies were filled when I joined (not sure if other players had to wait or not) and most importantly.... there were no steamrolls.

In fact, I had my most enjoyable time playing Starkiller Base that I ever have had. Both rounds went to Overtime in Phase 2 and the First Order won both rounds after going to Overtime in the final round. This is what I want to see from BF2.

I know that we have had a load of bantha poodoo thrown in over the last week but I would encourage everyone to check it out again and see if it is improved for you or not.
  • awakespace wrote: »
    This still isn't addressing that the primary concern is why is this forced?

Why can we no longer choose to stay with friends, or rivals, or in great matches?

Yes you got to play two good rounds on starkiller, but then were probably sent out into different lobbies even though you had a great thing going.

There is a matchmake button to press at the end of each map. DICE if you make that button work, and thus matchmaking optional instead of forcing it: all of these complaints will vanish instantly.

Skowsa wrote: »
    Chico wrote: »

Heck, i would even probably reinstall SWBF2 if this would be OPTIONAL and not FORCED.
  • perhaps we should take our concerns to twitter as we are being ignored here and they only listen to twitter.
  • Billkwando wrote: »
    I have seen absolutely no change in whether the match is balanced. Some matches are steam rolls and some are balanced. It was exactly this way before this ridiculous matchmaking testing.

This. It's not skill based matchmaking by any means. It's "we'll quit for you and join another game, whether you like it or not". It's like musical chairs, except you're by yourself in a room with one chair. Yeah, I can sit by myself, but then that's not really a game, is it?

I hate when people invent dumb conspiracy theories to justify their own narrative to paint a game developer as the bad guy (Shenmue & d3t come to mind), but allow me to get stupid for a second:

What people want: Skill based matchmaking and fair games.

I like to point out that way back when, Halo 2 on the original xbox had matchmaking, tracked everyone's stats in the background, and was really really good at making fair matches, for the most part. There was a number next your name, so you knew what rank you were for matchmaking. Sometimes you'd get put up against some folks with higher numbers, so if you got pwned, you didn't feel as bad. This was back when online console gaming was in its infancy.

What we got:

A periodic boot into a new (often unpopulated) lobby.

What we're hearing:

A lot of very focused statements on improving a system that seems to be missing the point entirely, from the outset, by design (I mean the MM system, but the statements a little bit too). I have no doubt that they are sincere in their desire to fix this band-aid level system that nobody asked for.

What could likely happen

They tinker with this MM system for a while, until everyone is ready to poke themselves in the eye, and then they shut it off, leaving it us with no MM system at all, as a "favor" to the community, because "the fans have spoken".

Where the "conspiracy" comes in (lol):

Have you ever heard the story about how the producers of The Fifth Element, believing he would be apprehensive, conned Chris Tucker into wearing all those girly outfits?

They showed him sketches of even more effeminate outfits than the ones shown in the film, in order to get him to view the ones that they actually wanted him to wear as the more acceptable option, and he went for it.

I wonder if there's some of that going on here. ;)

I think the truth is that they can't build an actual skill based matchmaking system without investing significantly more time and money into it, and considering the drip feed of content we're currently on (ostensibly because of the progression system updates, but who knows?) and the fact that this game perpetually seems to have one foot in the grave, and developers who perpetually have one foot out the door.......all we're probably ever really going to get are excuses.

Or ignored.

Very well said!
  • stevenomes
    4670 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    EightMile wrote: »
    F8RGE wrote: »
    We're currently in the process of rolling out some backend changes to Star Wars Battlefront II.

We saw some big improvements in the 'time to matchmake' from the last deployment we did, and the goal of this one is to improve it further. Please keep the feedback coming.

@F8RGE Turn it off. If it is not turned I quit. There will be a mass exodus from this game. I will not play again until it is gone completely. What part of turn it off does dice not understand. Read the feedback. READ IT. People are asking for it to be turned off. You have ruined this game completely.

they will not turn. and you'll be forced to quit BF2.
  • So I just tried to join a HvV server. joined it at the end or the round and it kicked me to an empty server. so I thought I would wait to see if it would fill up. It kicked me to the main menu.....
  • I finally joined the Darksiders and simply quit. I'm done being frustrated by the one game I spent alot of time with. I quit several days back...and it is liberating not to be angry at the MM garbage daily anymore
  • stevenomes wrote: »
    I fear Grievous hype will be overshadowed by EOR matchmaking

It's a fan favorite, but just one new Hero and no new weapons, maps, etc.. it'll be a short boost to the player base numbers. DicEA aren't even promoting Grievous themselves.

EoR MM just slows the pace of the game even more so than it was, doesn't prevent steamrolling, and any sense of "balance" in GA I contribute to the ability to spawn on your teammates now at objectives. Any team that figures out how not to shoot for 3 seconds in order to spawn teammates around the objectives usually has the upper hand.
  • My experience with match making tonight:
    Struggle to find a match for half an hour.
    Find a match and play the map on both sides
    Match making kicks in and I get kicked to an empty lobby
    Leave the empty lobby and look for another server and find one after about 15 minutes
    Play the map on one side only and then get kicked out to another empty lobby that just does not fill up
    Tried again and same story...
    Quit the game and uninstalled no more crappy match making yay!!!
  • New_Roosterman
    526 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    229 comments regarding the EEO MM Tweaks announcement and the vast majority of them echo the sentiments here (i.e. it isn't that good and should be turned off) - https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/9owo5h/eor_matchmaking_tweaks/
    51bvn954fmlp.png
  • 229 comments regarding the EEO MM Tweaks announcement and the vast majority of them echo the sentiments here (i.e. it isn't that good and should be turned off) - https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/9owo5h/eor_matchmaking_tweaks/

yes. turn off
    Ace speeder pilot.
    http://bit.ly/2smYu2B playa from day 1 when shift was real
  • I have seen absolutely no change in whether the match is balanced. Some matches are steam rolls and some are balanced. It was exactly this way before this ridiculous matchmaking testing.
    I don't think this is quite true. My experience is that, when I finally do get a perfectly balanced match, matchmaking comes to the rescue to ensure the next lobby is more unbalanced or empty.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!