criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

If Chewie Is Nerfed, Vader Will be Untouchable in HvV

Prev1
Title. Ben said on reddit that Chewie would be getting a nerf, which I am fine with, but Vader needs one just as badly. His choke + saber throw combo is absolutely ridiculous. Any time a semi competent Vader chokes you, he forces you to take 400+ damage. Also, can somebody explain to me why Vader was given a saber stun lock ten times more powerful than anybody else? Yoda's disappears after two strikes, Luke's and Kylo's can be escaped easily, and Maul's and Rey's are only decent at locking on to enemies. But if Vader attacks you from the back and you don't dodge the first time you are basically dead because some of the strikes in Vader's animation are completely inescapable if you got hit by the one before. To quote @TonyGoombah1 :

" his (meaning Vader's) saber spam locks on to you like a heat seeking missile"

I think this is a perfect description of Vader's insane auto tracking saber. I find it funny that when Palpatine has auto track, everyone goes crazy (including me, I must admit) but Vader has almost 180 degree auto track and nobody makes a big deal about it. I couldn't find out why, but then I realized something crazy.

Vader has had most of these powers since launch, and got some of them in Patch 1.2 (which, if you didn't know, was in February). It is incredible that he has been allowed to have these powers for so long. I think the overpowerness of Chewie kind of covered up Vader's dominance. But if Chewie is nerfed and Vader is left untouched, not even REY will be able to stop him. Vader and Palpatine will join together and RULE THE GALAXY!
jexdw69dwod3.png

Replies

• You username indicates that you may have heard of a little feller named Yoda?
  • Not just Vader. Depending on how severe, it'll be an even more Dark Side steamroll than it already is.

Shame, really. Chewie was more or less the only effective counter to the absurd amount of CC the villains had.
    Heart of darkness beateth, Ultima
    Iron enigma treateth, Ultima
    Shielding light retreateth, Ultima
    Hydaelyn defeated. Ah, Ultima

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

22kciqve3jgt.gif
  • Billkwando wrote: »
    You username indicates that you may have heard of a little feller named Yoda?

Yoda is pretty bad in HvV sadly. :(
    jexdw69dwod3.png
  • KresusFIN wrote: »
    Not just Vader. Depending on how severe, it'll be an even more Dark Side steamroll than it already is.

Shame, really. Chewie was more or less the only effective counter to the absurd amount of CC the villains had.

True. Iden is OP as well.

No she's not. I use to think so but now i know you can dodge her stun that has help me out a bunch. Her secondary fire is op against heros nerf that
  • Sigh another nerf, crybaby`s seem to be winning to destroy this game, I wish the makers of the game would just stop listening to these people.
  • MellowGoat wrote: »
    Sigh another nerf, crybaby`s seem to be winning to destroy this game, I wish the makers of the game would just stop listening to these people.

Nah it's needed. He's broken in HvV & the term I like to use is balancing good sir
  • Whole bloody game is broken and unbalanced, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't try to make it as best as possible. It took bf1 more than a year to make it almost balanced and I believe when we'll have 20 heroes playing against each other like rock, paper, scissors, then the true balance will be forced
  • Title. Ben said on reddit that Chewie would be getting a nerf, which I am fine with, but Vader needs one just as badly. His choke + saber throw combo is absolutely ridiculous. Any time a semi competent Vader chokes you, he forces you to take 400+ damage. Also, can somebody explain to me why Vader was given a saber stun lock ten times more powerful than anybody else? Yoda's disappears after two strikes, Luke's and Kylo's can be escaped easily, and Maul's and Rey's are only decent at locking on to enemies. But if Vader attacks you from the back and you don't dodge the first time you are basically dead because some of the strikes in Vader's animation are completely inescapable if you got hit by the one before. To quote @TonyGoombah1 :

I think this is a perfect description of Vader's insane auto tracking saber. I find it funny that when Palpatine has auto track, everyone goes crazy (including me, I must admit) but Vader has almost 180 degree auto track and nobody makes a big deal about it. I couldn't find out why, but then I realized something crazy.

Vader has had most of these powers since launch, and got some of them in Patch 1.2 (which, if you didn't know, was in February). It is incredible that he has been allowed to have these powers for so long. I think the overpowerness of Chewie kind of covered up Vader's dominance. But if Chewie is nerfed and Vader is left untouched, not even REY will be able to stop him. Vader and Palpatine will join together and RULE THE GALAXY!

Lando why are people forgetting him? Only thing they need to nerf for vader is the saber throw choke combo & I don't really have a problem with it if I could dodge it.
  • Chewie is my least favorite hero never got the hang how to use him, lando is my fave for stunning villians his shock is so good at destroying players who just storm at you.
  • AVGN wrote: »
    Title. Ben said on reddit that Chewie would be getting a nerf, which I am fine with, but Vader needs one just as badly. His choke + saber throw combo is absolutely ridiculous. Any time a semi competent Vader chokes you, he forces you to take 400+ damage. Also, can somebody explain to me why Vader was given a saber stun lock ten times more powerful than anybody else? Yoda's disappears after two strikes, Luke's and Kylo's can be escaped easily, and Maul's and Rey's are only decent at locking on to enemies. But if Vader attacks you from the back and you don't dodge the first time you are basically dead because some of the strikes in Vader's animation are completely inescapable if you got hit by the one before. To quote @TonyGoombah1 :

I destroy Vader with Lando 24/7, it will be fine.

Yeah it'll be fine
  • Lando system?
    Lando's not a system, he's a man.
  • AVGN
    405 posts Member
    Lando system?
    Lando's not a system, he's a man.

Lando's not a man, he's a power blaster.
    What were they thinking?
    ij4u9kqox4ip.gif
  • AVGN
    405 posts Member
    edited October 17
    Just to make things clear, i somewhat agree with you OP, but you're putting it like Vader is some kind of unstoppable force and that i don't agree with. The stagger thing can happen with any hero and my experience with his saber tracking and hit registration has been the opposite of what you're saying. As for the Choke part? Yes, it is a bit too strong, the recovery time should be shorter and avoiding his throw from the back should be easier, but the combo should still be possible. Just make it work like in Arcade, instead of falling on your butt, you just drop back to the floor, standing.
    What were they thinking?
    ij4u9kqox4ip.gif

I can get on 12 killstreaks with him. He can be pretty good, if you play to your strengths. I took advise from @TonyGoombah1 about Yoda, and I totally improved from it.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1
    Just to make things clear, i somewhat agree with you OP, but you're putting it like Vader is some kind of unstoppable force and that i don't agree with. The stagger thing can happen with any hero and my experience with his saber tracking and hit registration has been the opposite of what you're saying. As for the Choke part? yes, it is a bit too strong, the recovery time should be shorter and avoiding his throw from the back should be easier, but the combo should still be possible. Just make it work like in Arcade, instead of falling on your butt, you just drop back to the floor, standing.

Vader is beatable if you are a blaster hero. He is unkillable by Luke, Yoda, or Rey. I should have made myself more clear. Sorry.
    jexdw69dwod3.png
  • AVGN
    405 posts Member
    AVGN wrote: »
    Just to make things clear, i somewhat agree with you OP, but you're putting it like Vader is some kind of unstoppable force and that i don't agree with. The stagger thing can happen with any hero and my experience with his saber tracking and hit registration has been the opposite of what you're saying. As for the Choke part? yes, it is a bit too strong, the recovery time should be shorter and avoiding his throw from the back should be easier, but the combo should still be possible. Just make it work like in Arcade, instead of falling on your butt, you just drop back to the floor, standing.

Vader is beatable if you are a blaster hero. He is unkillable by Luke, Yoda, or Rey. I should have made myself more clear. Sorry.

Rey can beat him. Luke and Yoda? They need buffs...
    What were they thinking?
    ij4u9kqox4ip.gif

I can get on 12 killstreaks with him. He can be pretty good, if you play to your strengths. I took advise from @TonyGoombah1 about Yoda, and I totally improved from it.

I've gotten 15 killstreaks before. Some people think Yoda is completely useless in HvV, which I disagree with, but Yoda is just (in my opinion) the worst lightsaber hero for HvV. Whenever i'm using him I just think of how much better of I would be if I was using Rey.

True. I agree. I used to be really good with Rey.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1

Maybe if she attacks from the back. I still think Vader is much better than all lightside saber users.
    jexdw69dwod3.png

They just need to have their force abilities fixed and in proper working condition.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
  • AVGN
    405 posts Member
    edited October 18

Maybe if she attacks from the back. I still think Vader is much better than all lightside saber users.

See, the thing is... lightsaber combat sucks right now and really favors Vader, but his stamina drains almost instantly when attacking, if we were actually able to be offensive with the light side saber heroes then things would be different.

Small tweaks should be made, like when you block Saber Throw from the front but it still hits you from behind... if you block it once, then it should go straight back to him. Force Choke is really hard to avoid, yet Luke's Push and Repulse are not.
    Post edited by AVGN on
    What were they thinking?
    ij4u9kqox4ip.gif
  • Vader is a shadow of his former self sadly, I'd give anything to have pre Vader nerf back where he could solo 4 ls members

He is vader can beat all lightsaber heros
  • I think that Saber Attacks shouldn't track. They could step forward, but they shouldn't hard lock. Also, lessen the stun to a flinch. That way, there is still a visual que that you hit and the enemy is slightly hindered, but it doesnt stun them. Then, as a buff, increase saber damage and/or them Heavy Attacks by holding attack. They cost more stamina and take longer to execute (same animation, but far more start-up frames), but they cover slightly more ground and deal 50% more damage (and before you say it, yes, that means all Saber Heroes can 1 shot the other 3 classes besides the Heavy. Well tough. It would be slower and easier to dodge. Also, I know that Vader doing a Heavy Attack with Focused Rage will do 202.5dmg, enough to kill a Heavy. Same deal, just time your dodge, its even easier than a light attack).

Now, while Saber Heroes are still a threat up close, it's for better reasons than stunlocking.

As for the DS having so many CC abilities that they just have an inate advantage, there needs to be a system in place that reduces the effectiveness of eternal stunfests. An easy one is that, for the next X seconds, any stun after the current one lasts 50% as long. This stacks for every subsequent stun. So, say Vader Chokes you, then Kylo Freezes you, and Palpatine Electrocutes you. Vader's stun would last like normal until Kylo decides to Freeze you. His Freeze would last only half the duration. Then, when Palpatine Electrocutes, it only lasts 25% as long. Also, the same rule that the newest CC to be used replaces the previous CC also carries over. What I mean is that, if Iden shocks you with her droid, then Maul throws you, his CC takes Iden's place as the one in effect. This takes place in the game already, but I'm just clarifying that it should stay.

As for the Vader Combo, there are only 2 things I can suggest. First, his choke should deal 150dmg but, in exchange, you may break out early by spamming reload. It will be kinda useless for infantry, but for reinforcements and heroes, you have a higher chance of escape. Or, if you fall, you recover quick enough to not be hit by the returning Saber. Possibly both, with some tweaking. Second, if they nerf his Lunging Attack - say a shorter distance- then you must stay out of his range. Otherwise, prepare to take heavy damage. He's a tank. Tanks tend to be slow and bulky. He has little range, so he has to deal heavy damage. That's his playstyle, or at least how he is seemingly depicted.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • Lol they really nerfing that overrated hairball? he didn't need a nerf lets hope he dont drop to trash tier.
  • Nah he needed it for heros
  • Title. Ben said on reddit that Chewie would be getting a nerf, which I am fine with, but Vader needs one just as badly. His choke + saber throw combo is absolutely ridiculous. Any time a semi competent Vader chokes you, he forces you to take 400+ damage. Also, can somebody explain to me why Vader was given a saber stun lock ten times more powerful than anybody else? Yoda's disappears after two strikes, Luke's and Kylo's can be escaped easily, and Maul's and Rey's are only decent at locking on to enemies. But if Vader attacks you from the back and you don't dodge the first time you are basically dead because some of the strikes in Vader's animation are completely inescapable if you got hit by the one before. To quote @TonyGoombah1 :

Lando why are people forgetting him? Only thing they need to nerf for vader is the saber throw choke combo & I don't really have a problem with it if I could dodge it.

Is Vader even supposed to do that? I ask because I could never pull it off, and I keep remembering how cool it was in The Force Unleashed, and wondering why I can't do it here.
    Hi, if you are reading this I would like to inform you that this is a placeholder sig
    #JoinTheBuzz
  • Then maybe something needs to be done about Vader.
    Janina Gavankar is my Queen, to her I will always be true and faithful and love all which she loves and shun all which she shuns.
    0ngdu2c86fq1.png
    PSN: Empire_TW

• Empire_TW wrote: »
    Then maybe something needs to be done about Vader.

Just the saber throw combo & maybe let you dodge his choke & he's fine

He also shouldn't be ignoring abilities and choking me from around corners.
    Janina Gavankar is my Queen, to her I will always be true and faithful and love all which she loves and shun all which she shuns.
    0ngdu2c86fq1.png
    PSN: Empire_TW

• True I noticed that doing vader jump strike also ignores certain abilities like charge slam.
  • I’d say keep Chewie’s damage but nerf the ridiculous amount of points he gets.
  • Meguro wrote: »
    I’d say keep Chewie’s damage but nerf the ridiculous amount of points he gets.

How is that doing anything??

Vader’s choke doesn’t catch you mid roll, you can dodge it.
    Meguro wrote: »

Any time you nerf a character in a game people tend to play it less and nerfs, generally speaking, are always bad. Idk how bad the nerf will be but the Dark Side will benefit from that a lot.

Empire_TW wrote: »

Any time you nerf a character in a game people tend to play it less and nerfs, generally speaking, are always bad. Idk how bad the nerf will be but the Dark Side will benefit from that a lot.

No you can't dodge it I've dodge every force move plenty if times and vaders when it comes to him like luke or yoda his move just doesn't work sometimes. No the darkside won't. Lando, rey, luke & yoda(maybe finn) can beat the darkside.

I can take a Vader as all of those and win at least as much as Vader. It's literally all about the player. Suck at Luke? Then use someone else. never win against Vader? Then you are probably bad against Vader since so many others can handle him as so many other heroes. It's all about the situations, not just a flat number.

No you can't dodge it I've dodge every force move plenty if times and vaders when it comes to him like luke or yoda his move just doesn't work sometimes. No the darkside won't. Lando, rey, luke & yoda(maybe finn) can beat the darkside.
    Well, if you can’t dodge Vader’s choke that’s your problem, just don’t tell me it’s not possible when it is. This is not an argument, it’s a fact. & if you say that Lando, Rey, Luke & Yoda can beat the dark side then I don’t need to be talking about Chewie with you.
  • Could anyone share the link of Ben actually saying about the nerf...im kinda clueless at this point

Well, if you can’t dodge Vader’s choke that’s your problem, just don’t tell me it’s not possible when it is. This is not an argument, it’s a fact. & if you say that Lando, Rey, Luke & Yoda can beat the dark side then I don’t need to be talking about Chewie with you.

Do you do 4v4s at all? The darkside is better but, the lightside can beat them

You can't dodge it. I've caught everybody who rolls with my choke. Sometimes he does drop people but those times are few
  • EA_Cian
    1069 posts EA Moderator
    I've removed a few posts here, let's please keep it civil. :smile:
  • It's the wookiee warrior not Chewbacca.
    0hkhstpu3s7z.jpg
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• Devlin21 wrote: »
    It's the wookiee warrior not Chewbacca.
    0hkhstpu3s7z.jpg

Dang
    0hkhstpu3s7z.jpg

Dang

I'd rather the ww tbh.
    But Chewbacca still needs a nerf.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• Ahh, right. Ok.
    Heart of darkness beateth, Ultima
    Iron enigma treateth, Ultima
    Shielding light retreateth, Ultima
    Hydaelyn defeated. Ah, Ultima

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

22kciqve3jgt.gif
    0hkhstpu3s7z.jpg

Ah ok! Thank goodness LOL. I do think Chewie needs a nerf but if he gets nerfed, Vader will also have to be nerfed.
    jexdw69dwod3.png

I can take a Vader as all of those and win at least as much as Vader. It's literally all about the player. Suck at Luke? Then use someone else. never win against Vader? Then you are probably bad against Vader since so many others can handle him as so many other heroes. It's all about the situations, not just a flat number.

A good Vader does not lose to Luke.
    jexdw69dwod3.png
  • Dash
    11044 posts Member
    edited October 18

A good Vader does not lose to Luke.

But a Great Luke can outplay a Good Vader. :wink:
    Origin ID: "NWG_Dash"

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUQ3FFqM-TQd-3xtZmHOGQ?view_as=subscriber
    Link to all my Guides here in Tips & Tricks: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/113241/custom-class-hero-loadouts-builds-revisited-pt-2-6-14-2018#latest

"When you ask for trouble, you should not be surprised when it finds you". - Plo Kloon
    9kxfgzb9tacz.gif