criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

[Megathread] EOR Matchmaking Issues

Prev13456725
IIPrest0nII
3191 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
edited October 31
Hello everyone!

This Megathread created to collect all your feedback regarding the EOR MM system in Star Wars Battlefront II. Please post constructive feedback and answer the following questions:
  1. Your username.
  2. On which platform do you play?
  3. In what region are you located?
  4. What is it you exactly experienced? (Joining an empty lobby, long wait for a match, broken map rotation, difficult matchmaking in a group, etc.)
  5. What time did it happen? (Please, be as accurate as possible! We're looking for a day + hour, so we'll be able to perform a thorough investigation.)
  6. What game mode were you playing?
  7. What ping site you were connected to?
  8. (Optional) Any additional feedback?

You are also welcome to post your feedback at EA Answers HQ forums: Issues with the EOR matchmaking system - examples

Note: All EOR MM threads will be merged into this Megathread.
Volunteer EA Star Wars Battlefront Forums Senior Moderator
Post edited by IIPrest0nII on

Replies

• If one team wins 2 rounds in a row, do a random player shuffle (same instance, no server hopping).

Parties of 2-4 are treated as one 'player unit' and are shuffled together to whatever team. For parties of 5-8, they're broken up into 2 'player units' and are ALWAYS on opposite teams. However, the members in each 'player unit' in parties of 5-8 should shuffle either every round or with the match shuffle. Also, each 'player unit' should be an in-game squad. Do whatever to make sure that the # of players on each team are roughly the same, like reshuffling or shuffling 'player units' first then solo players.

For end-of-rounds where one team has less players than the other, throw the top performers of the last round that are on the team with more players onto the team with less players. If one of those players is part of a 'player unit', check the size of the player unit. If throwing that 'player unit' to the other side doesn't result in a reverse imbalance of player count (>1 of course), do it. If not, skip that 'player unit' and try switching teams for the next top performer. OR, forget about which team has more or less and just let the primary shuffling prevail (kudos to a team that wins with less players, but if they lose 2 times in a row the shuffle will re-balance).

Simple, and generally works. Yes, there will be times when the shuffle still throws best performers on a team, but I think it's fair and the best of all solutions.

P.S. I'm a a gamer who's been playing since Jedi Knights: Dark Forces 2 and I've experienced many matches with team imbalance. I just want a modern epic Star Wars multiplayer game to be the best that it can be.
  • Hello!

I have made this post to give my thoughts on the new matchmaking system that was implemented not so long ago. What have found in some intstances is the matchmaking at the end of each game sometimes puts you in an empty lobby instead of placing you in a full game. I have had this happen in the Aussie region and I know this because the other aussies on my friend's list tell me that they are in an empty server... If this feature worked as intended I'd have no problem....

However it takes a very long time for the game to match-make and sometimes you lose half the players in the lobby in the turnaround. This is something that's really bad for the game and may soon lead to it's downfall. If the matchmaker continues to pause the match after each map rotation then we are unlikely to see strong player retention...

If it is possible to fix this feature then great... Otherwise a new system must be implemented.. Please fix this. I enjoy this game and don't want to see it go down the drown because of simple things like this.

Marlbrow
  • People are unlikely to wait if there is not enough to instantly start a game...
  • I am talking about the 24hr matchmaking feature.
  • ...that's what test servers are for...it's just bad development for any software.

I think that you're not running public test servers because you don't think enough people will join them willingly...many probably wouldn't join, but still. Maybe offer in-game incentive to have people beta test new features.

What do others think of this?
  • I agree. Especially on this EOR MM which has had overwhelmingly bad feedback.
  • bfloo
    12458 posts Member
    people love cte testing.

The ones who missed out on Battlefield1 cried for days.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• avmav
    491 posts Member
    It doesn't work, we all know it, so just end our misery. I am getting match made OUT of good games into lobbies neading 12 or so players
  • Yep, me too. And often if you do get matchmade into a game with enough players it has already started. You don't mind this when you first login but if it is happening when you're already playing it is a real pain.
  • A lot of people are complaining about the recent EOR matchmaking (and rightfully so, I’m one of them). But half of the complaints are about team balance.

Matchmaking is trying to solve the problem of players not finding a match and getting put in empty servers (which ironically this new test is causing more of this).

Team balance has to do with how many good players are on a team and how lopsided matches are.

Has there been any word from the devs that this EOR matchmaking is supposed to fix balancing also? Because I don’t believe it is.

All of the players want Team balancing. Not a lot of players are asking for better matchmaking.
  • No end time was given.
    Is there anyway to expedite turning this off so we can go back to playing the game?

It was turned on at 12:00 UTC, assuming it were to be shut off at 12:00 UTC today, that would have been 8 hours ago.

Please turn it off. The new COD is looking better by the day.
  • I absolutely hate this EOR matchmaking. I love the clone wars maps and because of this, I couldn’t play on any of those maps on Saturday or Sunday in GA. Those were the only two days that I could have played.
  • 7:30pm est and still going...
  • Gree_1004_
    31 posts Member
    edited October 14
    7:30pm est and still going...

I wanted to play battlefront now, but with this going on, I simply can’t do it
    {MOD EDIT: Vulgar Language}
  • No end time was given.
    Is there anyway to expedite turning this off so we can go back to playing the game?

It was turned on at 12:00 UTC, assuming it were to be shut off at 12:00 UTC today, that would have been 8 hours ago.

Best cod I’ve played in a while.
  • No end time was given.

Best cod I’ve played in a while.

It looks decent. I honestly wasn't going to pick it up, but most of my friends did and are loving it so I probably will end up getting it.
  • SVEJ
    932 posts Member
    Yeah it's a horrible decision to do the EOR during the quick spawn weekend, as well as LIMITING the maps we play.

DICE saying they CANT drop a clone wars playlist but are able to shut off maps during the weekend, I guess i picked a bad day to play cause it';s only Crait, SK, Jakku and Takodana. ALL THE MAPS I HATE
  • SVEJ wrote: »
    Yeah it's a horrible decision to do the EOR during the quick spawn weekend, as well as LIMITING the maps we play.

DICE saying they CANT drop a clone wars playlist but are able to shut off maps during the weekend, I guess i picked a bad day to play cause it';s only Crait, SK, Jakku and Takodana. ALL THE MAPS I HATE

Well, i dislike ALL OF THE prequal maps so.
  • Sath
    225 posts Member
    It's faster to just quit a match and find a new one anyway. I have to quit 8 out of 10 matches because i am being put on a server with premades already waiting to slaughter the next set of noobies, not with me. The flow was ok once we had found a good team in the past, many people don't even care whether or not they lose a match. More and more people start teaming up before a match anyway, nothing you can do about that and they will destroy the other team. I already know many players by their names and quit right away, because i know they are teamed up and in voice, especially weirdawatto (name altered) and his gang.
  • 10:45am est Monday and still on.
  • Knight_of_Onions
    446 posts Member
    edited October 15
    As of 11:15 est
    Fast respawn weekend event is off.
    Full map rotation is on.
    EOR MM is still on.

That means someone has made changes to the game, but left EOR MM on.
    With the overwhelmingly negative response to EOR MM every single time they've tested it, you'd think they would have given it up by now.
    But they haven't. Why? Because the higher ups are demanding it work.

I may be wrong about this being the time it never goes away, but soon it will be here to stay.
    That day may not be the death of the game, but it will be the death of the game for me.

I have a bad feeling about this.
  • As of 11:15 est
    Full map rotation is on.
    EOR MM is still on.

With the overwhelmingly negative response to EOR MM every single time they've tested it, you'd think they would have given it up by now.

I may be wrong about this being the time it never goes away, but soon it will be here to stay.
    That day may not be the death of the game, but it will be the death of the game for me.

It’s so annoying, why they don’t just turn it off
  • Old_fella_1963
    4242 posts Member
    edited October 15
    Relax..
    . The less people online the less chance of 'successful' MM so id say forget it. If at the highest population it still yielded poor experiences all they can do now is proper team shuffle ( split the holy premades ) as has been said many many times. But agree if it does stay I will go off to sleep

[Removed insult]
    Post edited by IronSoldier on
  • Full map rotation IS NOT on. Its always the prequal maps that starts when searching a game. But this have been a problem before the EOR test weekend aswell, that its 95% chance to get a freaking prequal crap map.
  • yea its gonna be upsetting alot of players.
  • Not played too much with EOR Matchmaking, but I've been having a lot fewer games in GA that are one-sided. The extra time in the lobby between games has been worth the better games in my opinion.
  • Not played too much with EOR Matchmaking, but I've been having a lot fewer games in GA that are one-sided. The extra time in the lobby between games has been worth the better games in my opinion.

I fully agree.
  • Darth_Vapor3
    1965 posts Member
    edited October 15
    I suspect that the EoR “Test” was just that, a test. Automatically switching lobbies every match or two was almost certainly for data collection purposes, and doesn’t represent how the full implementation would appear. Admittedly that just my guess, but I think it’s pretty sound reasoning. MM in other Dice games doesn’t function like this and they did tell us repeatedly that this, and previous efforts, were tests.

I see a lot of people saying this, which is good. This hasn't been my experience though. I've been on mostly one sided steam rolls.
    I suspect that the EoR “Test” was just that, a test. Automatically switching lobbies every match or two was almost certainly for data collection purposes, and doesn’t represent how the full implementation would appear. Admittedly that just my guess, but I think it’s pretty sound reasoning. MM in other Dice games doesn’t function like this and they did tell us repeatedly that this, and previous efforts, were tests.

I really hope you're right about this. Maybe this isn't even it's final form. Wait, does that mean it could get worse too? lol
  • Yeah well im glad RDR2 is almost there.
  • avmav
    491 posts Member
    They better turn this monstrosity off!
  • avmav
    491 posts Member
    It kicks me out of well balanced matches and into empty lobbies, is complete garbage
  • Ppong_Man12
    1271 posts Member
    edited October 16
    Yeah it’s pretty bad, haven’t played much and won’t until they remove it, also been playing BO4 almost exclusively.
    Post edited by Ppong_Man12 on
  • Mooncircle wrote: »
    Yeah well im glad RDR2 is almost there.

you mean R2D2
  • As of 11:15 est
    Full map rotation is on.
    EOR MM is still on.

I don't think that's the reason why, and regardless of said reason, it needs to be turned off. I don't know of anyone that is requesting to be sent to alternative (and often empty) lobbies without their consent.

Besides, a communications disruption could mean only one thing:hi83fmmdvx2w.png
    In 1977, a single shot rang out at the Cantina.... No first, no second. Han shot - end of statement.

PSN: Han_Spinel
    Youtube: Han Spinel
    Twitter: @Han_Spinel
    The Unofficial Star Wars Battlefront Campaign Companion
  • Han_Spinel wrote: »
    Full map rotation is on.
    EOR MM is still on.

I don't think that's the reason why, and regardless of said reason, it needs to be turned off. I don't know of anyone that is requesting to be sent to alternative (and often empty) lobbies without their consent.

Really? Besides the whole loot box fiasco, can you think of any change to this game that has generated this much almost unanimous negative feedback?
    Yet they just keep pouring it on us.
    You're half right. None of us are requesting this. But someone is.
  • I wont be playing as long as this garbage is turned on.
  • Turn it off.
    Now.
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• 10:45am est Monday and still on.

y9whsijickoj.gif
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Remember back when they couldn’t figure out how to turn on the double XP event? Now, they can’t figure out how to turn off the EOR MM fiasco.
  • S_Markt wrote: »
    Mooncircle wrote: »
    Yeah well im glad RDR2 is almost there.

you mean R2D2

Red Dead Redemption 2.
  • So you basically have to quit after every round. That's just great.
  • you and alot of people.
  • xjippyx wrote: »
    If this stays on I am outta here.

Same. We had a 4 day weekend (fall break) and all four days have been this [expletive deleted]
    Full map rotation is on.
    EOR MM is still on.

Really? Besides the whole loot box fiasco, can you think of any change to this game that has generated this much almost unanimous negative feedback?
    Yet they just keep pouring it on us.
    You're half right. None of us are requesting this. But someone is.

To answer your second question, I can, unfortunately, name a few examples:
    • The Saber-Stamina addition that was initially released, to me, came out of nowhere, but was sold as a "community desire for improved saber combat." You can go back through and review every thread created re: Saber combat, and any that mention stamina, but there was not, from my perspective, a clear and general consensus regarding a drastic increase to the rate at which stamina was drained. It was blatantly imbalanced (all of my GA friendlies surely remember how fragile Saber heroes were against blasters, and HvV combat was even worse than before, which was already bad). A general consensus was provided re: saber combat, but it was for "power attacks" to break block, not that a saber users stamina must be drained before they lose block. People also, almost unanimously, desired saber stagger to be removed completely to increase the fluidity of saber battle. Again, the stamina change appeared to come out of nowhere, and was met with so much negative criticism that the development team had to respond and adjust accordingly with a saber stamina hot fix - which came a couple to few weeks later if I remember correctly.
    • Jet-Pack Cargo. I can't think of a single person that was requesting cargo-mode be brought back and restricted to jet pack users only. I can't count on a hundred hands the amount of people that didn't enjoy Jet-Pack Cargo, or for those that did, I venture to guess they would agree it did not have the same re-playability as Extraction, for example (I would argue the same can be said for Ewok Hunt, though it was met with favorable review for the most part, it has very little re-playability, but was brought back and added as a full-time mode due to "popular demand." A continuing theme I see from EA re: BF2017 is that their justification for action does not meet the perceived demand of the fanbase. Are they specifically trolling us? Their behavior/action/decision making is undeniably odd, at best). And even after all the negative feedback re: Jet-Pack Cargo, they did not invest time/money into adjusting or improving the mode based on suggested constructive feedback from the community, and instead elected to remove content from the game (they could have easily made the mode playable as troopers/enforcers, no?)
    • Palpatine. Nearly every update saw with it an unintended destructive ability (e.g., shocking through walls, perma-stuns, instant stamina draining), and it all culminated in the most devastatingly OP moment in the game, which of course all led to the Killswitch, again, content removed from the game due to enormous amounts of unanimous negative feedback.

Frankly, I find the unanimous negative feedback re: MM to be child's play next to the three I've listed above. I don't mean to belittle the point that MM is in dire straits, because it is, and it needs to go.

To answer your first question, yes. If I were given a license to speculate, I'd say it has more to do with server-room/space for another big game title about to be released than it does for a demand by higher-ups for implementation of a fully-operational MM system to BF2017. Simply put, there is not enough history or data to suggest that much care is going into the game. Yes, we are getting a new Villain this month (but I'm terrified at what new bugs will simultaneously be introduced based on history), and a new GA map (finally), with more new heroes and villains on their way, but over the span of another half-year at the earliest. All this for a "live service" game.

From what we know (and we can't know more if we aren't enlightened), BF2017 is very low on the priority list of EA titles, even lower than SWGoH - a phone app. You can argue that it is much easier to implement content for a phone app than BF2017, but the time/money spent on advertisements for *ANY* content of SWGoH greatly outweighs BF2017, and that tells you everything you need to know about the priority list.

I think it's pretty logical to see that the business cares more for SWGoH, for example, because people are spending money out-of-pocket every day if not every month - and if you're unfamiliar, experience/progression per day is SEVERELY capped on a day-to-day basis unless you are willing to purchase crystals out-of-pocket, which are, of course, and for all intents and purposes, "loot crates," which may OR MAY NOT contain the desired content you wish to purchase for the characters/ships you are wishing to level-up or even unlock.

Since BF2017 was shunned for introducing loot-crates, EA was no longer in the business of making money with BF2017. If it were, it would have immediately flooded the game with skins and cosmetics for purchase. Here are a few EXTREMELY easy to implement skins (whether you agree they should be in the game is irrelevant considering the goal of making BF2017 a profitable title):
    • Finn Head on First Order body. Both in-game. The ability to swap heads on Stormtrooper bodies became a base feature for BF2015; the infrastructure is already in place. Boom, new legendary skin.
    • Luke Head on Storm Trooper body. See above.
    • Han Head on Storm Trooper body. See above.
    • Finn Head in First Order officer gear. See above.
    • Rebel garb Iden Versio. Cross-era Hereos vs. Villains is already a thing, so what's the big deal about adding a skin that is already fully developed, and in-game, for purchase? Boom, done, new Legendary skin.

That alone is 5 x $80k = $400k, not to mention all the clone trooper skins that were already in-game, but held hostage until the last couple months for another 4 x 40k = $160k. The two Finn skins and Rebel Iden could have been introduced early on (to coincide with TLJ, and also when the campaign was still relatively popular), with the Han and Luke skins + Clone Trooper skins flooding the market, and incentivizing players to spend money out-of-pocket rather than grind to gain nearly $600k credits to get everything, which if you averaged $500/match at 10min/match, would take you roughly 200 hours to accumulate, and at 2hrs a day, roughly 100 days, or a summer's worth of average casual gaming. Or, you could just pay the $5/10/20 to get the skins now.

TL;DR Yes, I believe that there is more to the story than higher-ups wanting to genuinely improve the game by forcing MM to work. The current business model, or lack thereof, for BF2017 highly suggests so.
    In 1977, a single shot rang out at the Cantina.... No first, no second. Han shot - end of statement.

PSN: Han_Spinel
    Youtube: Han Spinel
    Twitter: @Han_Spinel
    The Unofficial Star Wars Battlefront Campaign Companion
  • Also, notice complete radio silence from F8RGE today.
    I'm calling it guys, this is here to stay.
  • We need some sort of EoR matchmaking as the lobbies in this game are some of the most unbalanced you'll ever come across, but the lobby hopping thing is unacceptable. No one wants to play the same map 4 or 5 times in a row, regardless if the games are close or not.
    I'd say it has more to do with server-room/space for another big game title about to be released than it does for a demand by higher-ups for implementation of a fully-operational MM system to BF2017. Simply put, there is not enough history or data to suggest that much care is going into the game.

You may be right, after all, we're both speculating because we have no real info to go on.

I'd like to address the part I've quoted though.
    I don't think higher ups are demanding the implementation of a fully-operational MM system to BF2017.
    I'm suggesting they want the implementation of a fully-operational MM system to BFV.
    They don't need another under preforming launch of a AAA game, so they are testing it here first. Where they literally have nothing (money) to lose.