criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

[Megathread] EOR Matchmaking Issues

Replies

• Team shuffle not eor mm
  • Also, notice complete radio silence from F8RGE today.
    I'm calling it guys, this is here to stay.

That would be 100% unacceptable.
    Janina Gavankar is my Queen, to her I will always be true and faithful and love all which she loves and shun all which she shuns.
    0ngdu2c86fq1.png
    PSN: Empire_TW

• indeed and I think this time people will really leave the community. the mood seems different from other times where the community was upset.
  • The matchmaking is system is not a viable strategy to mix teams up and does not working properly. Please remove until have it working correctly.
    Ace speeder pilot.
    http://bit.ly/2smYu2B playa from day 1 when shift was real
  • Zappa2510 wrote: »
    indeed and I think this time people will really leave the community. the mood seems different from other times where the community was upset.

thats because the game is near unplayable sense anytime matchmaking kicks in it either kicks you to the menu or puts you in an empty server why try to even play if I just cant?
  • Han_Spinel wrote: »
    I'd say it has more to do with server-room/space for another big game title about to be released than it does for a demand by higher-ups for implementation of a fully-operational MM system to BF2017. Simply put, there is not enough history or data to suggest that much care is going into the game.

You may be right, after all, we're both speculating because we have no real info to go on.

I'd like to address the part I've quoted though.
    I don't think higher ups are demanding the implementation of a fully-operational MM system to BF2017.
    I'm suggesting they want the implementation of a fully-operational MM system to BFV.
    They don't need another under preforming launch of a AAA game, so they are testing it here first. Where they literally have nothing (money) to lose.

Ah, I see your point now; thanks for clarifying! I do agree that it could be related. BF2017 is practically in beta status still
    • We don't know how to match make, we just implemented a squad system which is a base-package for our other game that we care about
    • We don't really know what Saber combat should feel like
    • We are just now adding HoK cards to Heroes and have cards that are literally useless (Maul's stamina card), and others that don't even work properly (Fett's for the Hunt)
    • Hero character's Force abilities don't register, or work incorrectly (Choke breaking through block)
    • We are just now releasing Clone Trooper skins that were available at launch, we can't implement new content without introducing new bugs etc. etc. etc.).
    In other words, I think we are saying the same thing: it would not surprise me in the slightest if BF2017 is a glorified guinea pig for BFV.
    In 1977, a single shot rang out at the Cantina.... No first, no second. Han shot - end of statement.

PSN: Han_Spinel
    Youtube: Han Spinel
    Twitter: @Han_Spinel
    The Unofficial Star Wars Battlefront Campaign Companion
  • I would have to agree. was watching a video on BFV and the menus for classes was the same from BF2 2017.
  • Please remove period and never replace it. Players have always been free to join and drop from servers as they feel fit. The balancing would come over time if players didn't immediately drop after losing one round...
  • Yes, they aren't making money on the game anymore, they want us to play something else ($$$$BATTLEFIELD 5$$$$$$)

THAT'S WHY THEY SCREWED THE GAME UP!
    -GLITCHES,
    -EVERY ROUND END I'M TRANSPORTED TO EMPTY LOBBIES
    - I was banned from this forum for reposting my complaints about this game...
    - all 20 of my friends who are ALL lvl 70 in game STOPPED playing.... the Spawn issue is laughable, excuses that it works.... what a joke!

IF someone has an address I can mail them a bag of crap (along with my copy of Battlefront 2), please post it.
  • C'mon EA its time to listen to all the comments across the Star Wars forums

1) Just dump Matchmaking. Unless something radical happens its a loser. Everyone seems unhappy. Playing with this option is just awful and ruins the gaming experience.

2) Seriously think about permanently including Fast re-spawn. This move livened things up and gave us some exciting game play
  • Remove matchmaking, its destroying the game
  • Matchmaking needs to be removed. It takes ages to find a game and it does not balance teams.
  • Please remove period and never replace it. Players have always been free to join and drop from servers as they feel fit. The balancing would come over time if players didn't immediately drop after losing one round...

Anyone can tell you that that is not the problem. The problem is that all the noob players are consistently put on one side and the other side is stacked with experienced players. It has nothing to do with "waiting" for some magical balancing to happen in the future like you are suggesting because that was never happening in the game....in fact ever since the game began tt has always worked in the opposite manner where the game seems to prefer stacking one side full of experienced players and the other side full of inexperienced players.

What we need is for the EOR to be reworked so that it balances the teams appropriately each round.

The EOR needs to create a "moving average" rank of the last 5 to 10 games for ever player. This will allow Dice to give a rank to each player in the game and then balance the teams based on those "moving average" ranks. This method will also allow for players to fluctuate in rank based on whether they are playing poorly or great during recent game play. This "moving average" rank will be calculated by taking these three scores adding them up for the past 5 to 10 games and taking the average of those 5 - 10 data points:
    1. Objective rank = 8
    2. Combat rank = 3
    3. scoreboard rank = 8
    nimd6taj3abn.png

Combined rank for the last game you just finished = 8+3+8 = 19
    Moving Average over the past 5 games = (12+ 14 + 10 + 9+ 19 ) /5 = 12.8 ( The lower your "moving average" rank the better you are.)

Once everyone has a "moving average" or total rank for the previous 5 games. Then the game can go about these steps to balance the teams:
    1. Balance the parties that join the game together, so that all parties remain together and that the number of parties is close to even as possible. Example Party 1 = 4 Players, Party 2 = 8 Players, Party 3 = 3 Players. Party 2 should be on one side....party 1 & 3 should be combined on the other side. Now we have 8 on one side and 7 on the other. This is done to keep parties together, but also balance out party squads, so one side is not stacked with parties that are communicating with each other and the other side is filled with random players not communicating as much.
    2. Then calculate the teams total rank based on each of the party members individual ranks ( sum up all the "moving average" ranks for each team member).
    3. Once the teams total rank is determined based on just the parties. Then the individual players that are not apart of a party can be added to each team based on their own "moving average" ranks. The game will sort all remaining individual players based on their ranks......keeping the overall team ranks as low as possible and and close as even as possible. We want the scores to be as low as possible and as close to balanced as possible to prevent one side getting stacked with new players that will have really high ranks.
    4. I'm sure that there is an algorithm that can sort and balance numbers evenly between two stacks quickly that could be done only when a new planet is rotated to in galactic assault.

When we are still on the same map in GA and playing it for a second time the game should just add a few new players to get the game filled up and again balanced the game with those new players. Keeping the overall team ranks as close to balanced as possible.

Good proposal.
    Maybe some points are not feasible for developers though.
    In my opinion it could be enough to introduce the Rank you proposed to have a better matchmaking than the one we have now.

For what I am experiencing lately, it seems that matchmaking now just puts players randomly in a new match each 2 matches. This isn't a matchmaching at all.
    Analysing deeper that, I'd list the following good and bad consequencies:

Good things:
    - Ends Unbalanced matches

Bad things:
    - It ends balanced matches
    - It makes you playing the same maps too often.
    - Few times it puts player in dead rooms, and they have to restart the modes to get into a match

Maybe it is enough to mix up the teams that are already playing against each other (only if the match is unbalanced; this could be calculated by some parametres).
    Anyway this compared with a Rank calculation solution is just a plan B, in case the Rank would be not feasible.
  • So we have 3 options ;
    1 it's here to stay
    2 they wanted to collect more data
    3 they can't figure out how to turn it off

More likely the third😂
  • So we have 3 options ;
    1 it's here to stay
    2 they wanted to collect more data
    3 they can't figure out how to turn it off

#3 made me laugh. I can just see the devs running around flicking switches and and pulling power cords. Just hoping something helps.
    Somewhere between "the sky is falling" and "everything is awesome" lies the truth.
  • looks like you was right... :(
  • I haven't had any issues, and I rather enjoy. I think it is a step in the right direction. Not perfect by a long shot.
    itt96uodu82s.gif
    Give me an Old Luke skin, and we will be best friends. He is the only one I plan on buying with real $. :-)
    Poe/Hux Concept Ideas: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/117608/poe-dameron-armitage-hux-concept-ideas/p1?new=1

Anyone can tell you that that is not the problem. The problem is that all the noob players are consistently put on one side and the other side is stacked with experienced players. It has nothing to do with "waiting" for some magical balancing to happen in the future like you are suggesting because that was never happening in the game....in fact ever since the game began tt has always worked in the opposite manner where the game seems to prefer stacking one side full of experienced players and the other side full of inexperienced players.

What we need is for the EOR to be reworked so that it balances the teams appropriately each round.

The EOR needs to create a "moving average" rank of the last 5 to 10 games for ever player. This will allow Dice to give a rank to each player in the game and then balance the teams based on those "moving average" ranks. This method will also allow for players to fluctuate in rank based on whether they are playing poorly or great during recent game play. This "moving average" rank will be calculated by taking these three scores adding them up for the past 5 to 10 games and taking the average of those 5 - 10 data points:
    1. Objective rank = 8
    2. Combat rank = 3
    3. scoreboard rank = 8
    nimd6taj3abn.png

Combined rank for the last game you just finished = 8+3+8 = 19
    Moving Average over the past 5 games = (12+ 14 + 10 + 9+ 19 ) /5 = 12.8 ( The lower your "moving average" rank the better you are.)

Once everyone has a "moving average" or total rank for the previous 5 games. Then the game can go about these steps to balance the teams:
    1. Balance the parties that join the game together, so that all parties remain together and that the number of parties is close to even as possible. Example Party 1 = 4 Players, Party 2 = 8 Players, Party 3 = 3 Players. Party 2 should be on one side....party 1 & 3 should be combined on the other side. Now we have 8 on one side and 7 on the other. This is done to keep parties together, but also balance out party squads, so one side is not stacked with parties that are communicating with each other and the other side is filled with random players not communicating as much.
    2. Then calculate the teams total rank based on each of the party members individual ranks ( sum up all the "moving average" ranks for each team member).
    3. Once the teams total rank is determined based on just the parties. Then the individual players that are not apart of a party can be added to each team based on their own "moving average" ranks. The game will sort all remaining individual players based on their ranks......keeping the overall team ranks as low as possible and and close as even as possible. We want the scores to be as low as possible and as close to balanced as possible to prevent one side getting stacked with new players that will have really high ranks.
    4. I'm sure that there is an algorithm that can sort and balance numbers evenly between two stacks quickly that could be done only when a new planet is rotated to in galactic assault.

When we are still on the same map in GA and playing it for a second time the game should just add a few new players to get the game filled up and again balanced the game with those new players. Keeping the overall team ranks as close to balanced as possible.

I mean I didn't really want to spend the time elaborating so thank you for at least showing the community and hopefully someone with the ability to take some action that there is a way to do this properly. I'm glad you posted such a lengthy response it's what the game needs. A proper ranking system to sort out new and old players into feasible teams that create a challenge for all involved...

Without these changes added and with current matchmaking being kept it is likely that the game will die completely in approximately 2 months flat... forget grievous, kenobi the whole shabang... I got so frustrated last night because the servers crashed I had to take a break...

Please DICE? EA? SOMEBODY?? We want to give you our money we want to pay for good content, good skins, Dlc's just do your job. Yes you made a mistake early on causing the majority of the Star Wars community to boycott this game but that's what happens. Pick yourself up. Learn from you mistakes and lets do this. You have a loyal fanbase here willing to put up with the problems and willing to wait it out until you fix things. Just do it. It's simple.

You see our voices... You hear our cries. A little bit of action and the money will come flowing back...
  • It's good to see the community in agreement on this.
  • I haven't had any issues, and I rather enjoy. I think it is a step in the right direction. Not perfect by a long shot.

I am sincerely glad someone is enjoying this. And I do mean that with no sarcasm at all.
    My biggest issue is this;
    I'm in a clan.
    I like to solo que more often than group play because I don't want to pub stomp 24/7.
    Solo que takes me 3-4 tries (at least) to get in a decently competent group.
    I was MMing myself.
    There is no use to look for a balanced lobby now.

With EOR MM, I will only play this game with a group and pub stomp every lobby. Because it's still more fun than getting pub stomped.
    No matter how big the group, it keeps you together through MMing.
    So I guess that's all I'll do from now on. Play in a group of 10+

With all sincerity, I played probably 12 matches a day over my 4 day weekend when this was first turned on.
    A few were with a group, most were solo que.
    So around 50 matches, or 25 rounds. If I were to say 5 of those rounds were balanced, that would be generous.
    Because this isn't MMing, it's just server shuffle
  • Nevaaaaahhhhh!
  • its the test that never ends!
  • All I can say is I keep playing the same maps over and over ad nauseum. It's quite ridiculous.
  • @F8RGE I hope I'm wrong, and I'm wiling to listen to alternate opinions.
  • indeed that is what it is sadly.
  • I kind of thought so.
  • @F8RGE I hope I'm wrong, and I'm wiling to listen to alternate opinions.

Needz moar table.
    ZI7BNkU.gif
    ^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
    (Sort of an atypical/joke song, all their other songs are way better)

Gamertag: Billkwando
    Find me circling, and crashing, in Starfighter Assault.
  • I bet whatever it is it is designed for GA and so is ruining Strike and Blast where the factors are different . Don't think you can say a new server is spinning up with same players...The screens might give that impression but it might just be an alternate map loading screen . Ocassionally I might get moved to a new lobby if I hit matchmake. ...The bigger problem is the lag 2 and 3 bars...kills are also very low across the two teams which smells to me like everybody is lagging. I have 30 working really hard in longer Strike matches where normaly I would expect 50+
  • Agreed.
  • DarthJ
    5178 posts Member
    I can't change your mind, because your mind is right.
    41st Forum Fury Battalion Founder PSN: ibrajoker59
  • SVEJ
    932 posts Member
    I think it's more than that, it also kicks you out of swbf2, ive been having a hard time finding games recently and also my game keeps crashing on kashyyyk.
  • EA_Cian
    1086 posts EA Moderator
    Hopping in - just had to take out two posts. If you need any clarification and haven't been reached out to as to why, you can DM me. :smile:
  • @Knight_of_Onions no need to because that is 100% Exactly it.
  • Is there a discussion about it at the moment? Just delete EOR Matchmaking and give us a Map Selector. I don´t want to play the same map i don´t like 4 times in a row.
  • TariboWest wrote: »
    Is there a discussion about it at the moment? Just delete EOR Matchmaking and give us a Map Selector. I don´t want to play the same map i don´t like 4 times in a row.

I agree. It would be awesome if we could make our own priority playlists.
    jexdw69dwod3.png
  • We have been asking for this for a long time. They have never let us have the option to pick our servers, now they are taking away our choice to even stay in one. Map selector is very unlikely.
    Janina Gavankar is my Queen, to her I will always be true and faithful and love all which she loves and shun all which she shuns.
    0ngdu2c86fq1.png

• Did you know, there are those who would shatter our hopes for finding servers, having fun, and enjoying the game?

Yes, this is yet another EoR Matchmaking thread, there is a reason there is so many of them.
    And yes the opening line and title is a reference to John Henry Eden from Fallout 3, cookies for those who knew that.

Because that can be the only explanation for why this system is still in place.

What we have now:

Being FORCED to leave servers (words cannot describe how much I hate this)

Being thrown into empty servers. (Most times after you've been part of a full game but he "matchmade" afterwards)

Being kicked out of a server and sent to the main menu with an "Error 1066" Message.

Playing the lightside 4 times in a row in HvV.

Playing the same few maps over and over again.

Having 0 control of what maps you play (you could use the rotation to at least get an idea before, not anymore).

0 Change in who I'm being matched with, still being put into servers with level 1 Reys and all purple hands are still rare and steamrolls are just as common.

I refuse to believe that this EoR MM system is good for the game, I know literally 0 people who like/think this is working. Yet it is still turned on.

So as the title says, let's take a tally who here actually likes this system?
    0ngdu2c86fq1.png

• I dont like the system (I dont like it because it is poorly implemented and is based on lobby creation, not real balancing, and seems that even not shuffling), but I think they can work on it to make it way better.

If the system is not achieving the goals Its better to turn it off and possibly make as much tests as needed in the future, but the 'live betatesting' is not a good idea, imho.
  • Curious, most proponents who want map selection want to play the same map 4 times in a row. Or, they just want to avoid Jakku.

• Alex64
    5071 posts Member
    edited October 18
    It's garbage. The game is almost unplayable because of this crap, and I'm about a day off uninstalling because of it.

All on these lines is true
    ひとりじゃないから仲間がいるから大丈夫!
  • Remove please.
    You guys are gonna make me rich......
    Xbox G-tag
    XJO461
    That Specialist rework was disappointing.
    nceaq2h23fqj.png

• I’d vote against this system if it were in its final state. It’s not. If it ends up being like this fully, then it’s an Epic Fail. Lobby shuffling should happen only when necessary and then only if said lobby has persisted for 3-5 matches of steamrolls. I think we’ll end up with a decent system. This isn’t the same as bug fixing. I caution a little more patience. Maybe my optimism is misplaced.

I like your optimism. I hope you're right.
    Here is my doubt. No matter how many tweaks they make, this will always be server shuffle.
    Server shuffle has a lower chance of finding balance than I do by backing out of matches to search a new lobby.
    It is clear from my experience knowing a lot of players and how good they are and watching who they get "matched" with that this system places no weight on stats of any kind.

That's a no for me Dawg.
    2294ey.jpg
  • Mooncircle
    455 posts Member
    edited October 19
    55gao1jr9bdk.gif

I agree 100%.
    Post edited by Mooncircle on