criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

Focused Feedback: General Grievous

Replies

• Afrom3istwr
    941 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Very first impression:

Grevious needs cancels for his rush and advance.

Edit: By cancel, I mean saber cancel
    Post edited by Afrom3istwr on
  • Grevious is useless against chewbecca or lando. Been there many times just today. Lando’s roll is too quick for grevious.
  • I believe there is a bug that keeps you from being able to switch characters during HvV. Did anyone else experience this?

The user interface is slightly different, but I was able to change characters.
  • It's a little confusing, at least at first, in HvV, when you go to change characters, there is nothing highlighting which character you're on at the bottom. Which may be fine because the character shown on screen changes as you move. It was at least initially confusing.
  • TiNie
    308 posts Member
    Played as him one round of Hero Showdown. For some reason everyone is loading in quicker than me in HvV and obviously choosing him. No fun.

That's why I am happy to be 1st in 99% of the cases. I have already said something about this.
    Darthside wrote: »
    Grevious is useless against chewbecca or lando. Been there many times just today. Lando’s roll is too quick for grevious.

Not only him. Lando and Chewie kill every villain with one use of their shock abiliies, no matter how much health they have. Stun them, then headshots and 800HP or more are gone. With Kylo Ren Freeze it's about the same, but only with blaster fire not lightsaber strikes.
  • Xbox one x and ps4 GG feels like he's pulling to the right. Is this just me and my wife or anyone else feel like this?
  • I noticed in the trailer Grevious's claw ability knocks enemies down. Put when came out enemie don't get knocked down.
  • JediJulius wrote: »
    My thoughts on Grievous so far:
    • His base lightsaber strikes are great, love the high damage.
    • Health Regen is very nice especially with Star Cards.
    • Thrust Surge is ok when it works but has pretty bad hit detection.
    • Unrelenting Advance should spin the lightsabers slightly faster and it should block all saber and blaster shots from the front. I've seen a Han empty an entire Sharpshooter through it and it doesn't seem to properly block blaster fire. It should also deal damage slightly more often and/or turn slightly faster to make it harder to walk behind Grievous.
    • Claw Rush needs slightly better handling (he IS on six limbs after all) and should end faster when he rams into a wall.
    • (Cosmetic suggestion) Unrelenting Advance should leave scorch marks in the floor as Grievous advances (at least as his lightsabers hit the ground on a flat surface.)
    • (Cosmetic suggestion) Grievous could use a couple more saber strikes in his combo. Right now he chains the same four attacks which can quickly get visually repetitive. Maybe he could get one or two saber animations that use his extra arms to mix it up a bit.

Also, he gets absolutely melted by Lando and Chewie's stun combos much like everyone else unfortunately.

Agreed. I can add that imho Unrelenting Advance should be more faster, Grievous is a little too slow when he use it. So this plus the fixes
  • StarWars0525
    2601 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I got to play him for 30 seconds in Galactic Assault!

Same. I had school so I could barely play him this morning
  • Grevous is a ok hero but mabey that’s because I haven’t level his star cards yet. I’m going to level him up some and see where it takes me.
  • AzorAhai wrote: »
    It's a little confusing, at least at first, in HvV, when you go to change characters, there is nothing highlighting which character you're on at the bottom. Which may be fine because the character shown on screen changes as you move. It was at least initially confusing.

So a minor nerf to QoL? If this is the extent of an update created bugs, I’d say it’s a step in the right direction.
  • AzorAhai wrote: »
    It's a little confusing, at least at first, in HvV, when you go to change characters, there is nothing highlighting which character you're on at the bottom. Which may be fine because the character shown on screen changes as you move. It was at least initially confusing.

So a minor nerf to QoL? If this is the extent of an update created bugs, I’d say it’s a step in the right direction.

That's my experience anyway. 2 rounds of HvV was all I had time to play. Both times as Dark side. Didn't get to run with Grievous but I got to be on his team.

There was one moment where we were all gathered together (dark side), and one by one Vader, Kylo, Grievous, then me as Palpatine emoted right before going back to battle. It was a minor highlight of my time with this game!
  • No cape for when he spawns in on HvV
  • Trying Greivous out in arcade mode (PS4 user here) I feel like some adjustments need to be made to make Greivous make more sense.

- his claw rush ability doesn’t seem to be knocking troopers down and not doing damage (maybe this is just an issue in Arcade)
    - Unrelenting advance doesn’t very little damage to troopers and then you just walk through them and they are now behind you and they just shoot you in the back.
    - Greivous should be able to hop out of claw rush with a saver swing like Rey can do and also his hop out ability of claw rush animation needs to be quicker.
    - For console users, it would be nice if the camera could be adjusted while using unrelenting advance so you could see in front of you a little better.

Sorry for this coming across as a “Greivous needs a buff!!!!” Comment but he should really do more damage on individual swings. Again I’m in Arcade mode so maybe there’s an issue with abilities and Star Cards but even with his more damage star card, I feel like swing two lightsabers should take out an enemy trooper in just one swing.... most lightsaber hero’s do about 100 damage per swing so would it make sense for Grievous to do 200 damage per swing since he flails his arms with both lightsabers on each swing?

Unrelenting Advance just needs some work because Dennis said in that trailer that ALL forward attacks would be blocked and that is not the decade at all... so either a bug or a slip of the tongue. But that ability should just melt regular troopers in one pass with no question...
  • Zyder
    455 posts Member
    I think he attacks so slow, and despite all it's heal, he loses it quickly.

Btw, the Q ability is garbage. I would prefer Grievous with his 4 lightsabers and dealing x2 damage than usual.
  • Agreed, claw rush needs knock down Like rey's. I'm assuming that it's a bug that Heavy's shield stops it.
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif
  • I know there's definitely the aspect of getting used to him, but he does seem clunky?

My main gripes are that it feels lazy not to give him an ability that actually changes from two to four lightsabers as a toggle... I'd have thought it would be perfectly doable?

And also, when it comes to character selection (at least in HvV) character's are no longer highlighted to show when you are selecting.
  • Braden95
    2 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Grievous looks amazing! And 80% of the time plays great too! However the Thrust surge ability hardly ever works for me. My sabers go through the target but no damage, this happened many times. I feel it should just thrust you forward and damage whatever is in your LoS. (Kinda like reys Dash). I would prefer that to the lock on system :) Unrelenting advance is nice too however if your your target rolls away from you to the side. you have no chance, the turn is WAY too slow.
    The spider ability (can’t remember the name) is amazing I love it, feels great, looks great! Just need a little polishing, but overall, I almost love him (just those 2 abilities need tweaking!) :)@F8RGE
  • •Unrelenting Advance, Fix Deflection issue, Increase Damage, Increase spin speed, Fix issue of getting stuck standing still while using it.

•Thrust Surge, Make Stab more predictable and better lock on, not missing as often. Increase damage to 200.

•claw Rush, Make cancel more precise and smooth, bit clunky as is.

Reduce block stamina overheating

That’s about it really, overall he’s awesome, just that his abilities are too clunky and bugged.
  • I believe there is a bug that keeps you from being able to switch characters during HvV. Did anyone else experience this?

Same here on XBox One.
  • In arcade, claw rush is broken if you equip the star card with 50 extra damage after the first hit. You can't hit any targets after the first hits if you do. I don't know if it is broken in multiplayer.
    Unrelenting advance needs to do damage more often, it's hugely underpowered. The spin animation is super slow yet it is 4 or 5 times faster than the rate at which he does damage.
    The stab is too inconsistent.

He looks amazing but he needs a lot of tweaking IMO. The only good things he has going for him are his health and his damage when you equip his extra saber damage card.
  • Finally got a few rounds to try him out. Here's my initial feedback:
    - Looks great
    - Plays great with basic attacks overall
    - Stamina drains a bit too quickly
    - Abilities are buggy.
    - Thrust Surge doesn't always hit and it's lock on is inconsistent. Damage could use a buff.
    - Claw Rush is a bit difficult to control and gets a little twitchy when you bump into objects/walls. Otherwise, it's really cool.
    - Unrelenting Advance seems really buggy. Sabers could use a speed up, blaster deflection is inconsistent, damage seems a bit weak, and the start up & ending animations could be sped up a bit.
    - Unrelenting Advance and Claw Rush seem to cause bugs where you can't block and/or strike and sometimes can't move correctly if you collide with objects, end the ability before it finishes, or take certain types of damage while in the ability.

He's a fun hero, just seems to need some polish and de-bugging.
  • DarthJ wrote: »
    F8RGE wrote: »
    First impressions are great and you're welcome to share these, but please refrain from posting "buff Grievous" because you were defeated quickly. It's going to take time to get used to any new hero, and Grievous is no different.

@F8RGE very happy that you put this and that you all understand this - as usually get worried when a new hero appears and those getting beat by him think he is OP, or as you say the opposite and thinking he is underpowered. Good to see that you are all thinking ahead of the feedback, genuinely.

Most of us can remember all the screams for buff Palpatine after a few hours of gameplay.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • F8RGE wrote: »
    With General Grievous releasing today I'm expecting a lot of threads and discussion to pop up with thoughts, feedback and ideas.

In an attempt to keep things orderly please use this thread for all your Grievous feedback. What do you like about him, what don't you like?

One thing to note. First impressions are great and you're welcome to share these, but please refrain from posting "buff Grievous" because you were defeated quickly. It's going to take time to get used to any new hero, and Grievous is no different.

I agree with the "Don't say buff Grevious", however in the whole I've managed to use him throughout the day and go against him, and his abilities really aren't very good. For example, thrust surge is easily avoided by rolling since the long animation, unrelenting advance needs to be improved in all aspects I think. On the other hand EA have done a good job on the spider rush.

One final thing, there is a glitch where the unrelenting advance does not show the animation on the enemy's screen, just static lightsabers.
  • Aside from bug reporting, are nerf and buff requests realistic? It hasn't even been 24 hours haha.
  • ClavinNatas
    291 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Thrust surge is glitchy and hits maybe 30% of the time. There was also this incident where it glitched and I was nonstop running in thrust surge with the arms deployed. There was no way to break out of the animation glitch. Grievous was doing the Naruto run nonstop, was hilarious but disapointing. Fix thrust surge please.

I wouldve enjoyed grievous having a blaster option too but its cool I guess... Its just really scary to play as him in open combat because he swings so slow. Also I feel his stamina drains waaaay too fast against blaster fire. Adjust it just a pinch maybe? I still enjoy playing as grievous though and thanks for all the hard work put into him!!
  • IronSoldier
    3804 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    edited October 2018
    Defbored wrote: »
    Aside from bug reporting, are nerf and buff requests realistic? It hasn't even been 24 hours haha.

Yeaaah i'd say give it a few more days for people to adjust to the different player experience but also change star cards.. It took me an hour to remember to apply my hero health cards o:) They certainly changed my overall feedback from the patch but grievous needs more time. Hopefully will rank 40 by the of the tomorrow now that forum report queue is clear B)
  • I’ve noticed his scurry is a bit harder to control than other dash actions, I’m curious of mind trick will effect it. I’ve had a couple bugs with his ability that impales with all four sabers and it not registering damage. I feel like for any infantry cept maybe enforcers that should baba OHK. I mean four sabers to the chest is brutal. The unrelenting advance is leaving grevious more exposed than is worth using. This is all my experience in arcade familiarizing myself with the General. Hope it helps! Thanks @F8RGE
  • Grievous32
    94 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    First, I'm french, so I'll do my best to be clear. Sorry for the mistakes.

1. Claw rush is awesome and maybe the best ability in my opinion. You have to stop it yourself to be efficient.

2. Thrust surge doesn't deal damage everytime. Sometimes, I clearly touch my enemy, but he doesn't even fall on the ground when the ability works.

3. Unrelenting Advance doesn't deflect blasters' shots. I think it would be a little "OP" but in my opinion, it just make Grievous not really useful against troopers even in a corridor.

4. Unrelenting Advance is not really instinctive. I don't really like the fact you have to watch around you using the left joystick instead of the right joystick. Also even if it's good he can't go back, I think he should be able to turn right or left while he move forward, and it's not possible to do it with the left stick. The fact he turns really slowly make the ability really difficult to use in open areas, and a hero can just dodge to attack him from behind.

5. I'm a bit disappointed Grievous doesn't have an ability where he could use his 4 lightsabers at the same time and allowing us to attack basically, just like the Rage of Vader. He could just make more damage, be unable to dodge or sprint, and just be able to attack with all 4 lightsabers with powerful attack. Everything would be made here to force the player to make a lot of damages instead of just seeing Grievous ignite 2 lightsabers to use Thrust Surge.

6. When Grievous is pushed on a ground with an active ability, he can't run, dodge, jump, defend or attack during the activity of the ability. Also you can relaunch the ability, even if it reloads (I did it with Unrelenting Advance).

Otherwise, I really love the character and his star cards. It's really hard to choose which star cards to apply to him.
  • JMaster
    2284 posts Member
    So... I've only played him for a few minutes in arcade before I had to go to school, so keep in mind these are my very first impressions. Grievous is a mixed bag in my eyes, so let's see...
    His Base attacks and playstyle I quite like actually. He deals the most damage out of any Saber Wielder (130 to be exact), and can deal even more so with Sith Trained (160), so this dude could OHK three of the main classes in a single regualar attack and all four from the back. Wow. He has a block, BUT it's borderline useless... as it should be. It's a last resort before you dash aside or Claw Rush away, I never expected it to be amazing. The only issue is that now you need to give Maul and Yoda blocks. As fun as they are, if this trend continues with Lightsaber heroes getting blocks (which it should), then Maul and Yoda will get left in the dust. I hope you can reconsider it for those two, Grievous's block is literally perfect for Maul. I'm also glad he has a floaty-hop akin to Bossk, I was expecting the regular jump from old school Battlefront, but the hop makes him much more useful in my eyes. Jumping over obstacles, like the containers on the Venator, will be great for those surprise Grievous moments. His 800 health and high regen is also appreciated very much.
    That said, his abilities are much more awkward to me. I LOVE the idea of Unrelenting Advance, but it's not as useful as I would have liked. I thought it would give continuous damage over a few seconds or strikes, but every time I tried it on 'Bots it only did hit them *once* when that thing should be absolutely shredding them. Even with it's maxedout Star Card that thing only deals 120 damage to them, that's nothing! It also had issues with blocking enemy blaster bolts, so it needs better hit detection. Elliot's gameplay impressions showed Han's Sharpshooter outright ignoring it, so that is likely a bug that needs to be fixed. It's supposed to be his objective-pushing ability, the one that gets him past the corridors on Theed and into the Turbo Tanks on Kashyyyk. Having it only graze your opponents and not even block their fire properly is a real missed opportunity and a bummer for his supposed "Premier Ability".
    While I'm a bit bummed by Advance, I gotta say Thrust Surge is gonna be the ability I use the least. 160 damage for a quadrouple lightsaber stab that only affects 1 enemy and leaves you vulnerable AND has iffy detection? Get outta here! Aside from the obvious of giving it Frenzy-like lock-on, increase the damage to 180-220 and I'll use it much more. It also doesn't seem to affect blocks based on what gameplay I've seen, and that thing should be your trump card to blocking heroes. It doesn't need to do the full 200 or so damage I'm asking, but it should deal like 100-120 damage to them through it. It should be his Anti-Hero/Enforcer attack, but it sure doesn't work like that to me.
    Claw Rush was my least favorite sounding abilty, but it ended up being his best ability. For some reason. It has some issues with ramming into walls, but I do like how fast he is during it. Also, the card that gives him 90% DAMAGE REDUCTION is ridiculous and awesome. That said, his premier ability should be his Advance, or maybe his Surge, and not his Shoulder Charge-esque hightailing ability. But I don't see much I want to change about it right now.
    That being said... I do want to see how much better he plays with his maxed Star Cards in GA and Hero modes. I already have a few loadout in mind, like:
    The Super-Duper Trooper Killer Loadout- Beating Heart, Cyborg Rage, Sith Trained- High health regen, as well as saber damage enough to OHK three of the main infantry classes. This will probably be my main loadout in GA.
    The Street Sweeper- Cyborg Rage, Line Up Weaklings, Deadly Slashes- This is meant to clear hallways and other choke points on the likes of Theed Palace, Kamino, and the Kashyyyk Turbo Tanks. My idea is to rush in with the Claw Rush and knock into as many enemies as possible, then cancel & turn around to activate Unrelenting Advance to finish them off. I doubt it will work, so there's my backup...
    The Breacher- Cyborg Rage, Cowardly Retreat, Ceaseless Assault- This is focused more on simply getting through the corridors and hallways, no kills or nothin', and to play the objective. Damage reduce the heII out of him, and soldier through the blaster bolts.
    Oh, and here's my dumb suggestions for him if you change up heroes considerably in the future...
    -Before anything else, work on his Surge and Advance. Cleaning up those two will absolutely make him a better and more fun character.
    -If you guys plan on adding new abilities to characters, like a toggle on the Triangle/Y/2 key for blaster wielders, I have two recommendations for the General. First, since Grievous has no ranged options to speak of, I'd love for him to get a toggle for his DT-57 Annihilator pistol. This could work by having him holster one of his sabers and pulling it out. Pressing the right button will swing one of his sabers (albeit with less damage, say 100-120), but the left trigger will let him aim down sights and he can then use the right trigger to fire off some rounds. My other idea is for Grievous to get a function for his melee key unlike the other Lightsaber users, that being a kick with his talons. I was surprised to see he didn't have one with his attack chain, so a powerful 75-100 damage dealing slash or kick would be awesome.
    -These are a few purely graphical things. First, I want there to be WAY more sparks. This goes for all Lightsabers in general (ha), but when Grievous pulls a Thrust Surge and stabs an enemy with all his sabers... no sparks. They should be visually satisfying to see in action, especially Surge and Advance, to really sell the danger this character possesses.
    -I'd love for you to show us more tips and tricks on him. I saw a YouTube comment that claimed his Surge will lock on as long as you hold down the ability key? And one that said his Advance doesn't work well if you block then trigger it immediately afterword? These things could be better cleared up on here I think.
    So, yeah, he ain't perfect. I hate to say that he needs more tweaks, but my first experience was not without flaw. I've waited way too long for Grievous, and if he's underwhelming I'm going to make him good. Thank you for asking for our feedback, I hope together we can do the General justice.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • JMaster wrote: »
    I thought it would give continuous damage over a few seconds or strikes, but every time I tried it on 'Bots it only did hit them *once* when that thing should be absolutely shredding them. Even with it's maxedout Star Card that thing only deals 120 damage to them, that's nothing! It also had issues with blocking enemy blaster bolts, so it needs better hit detection.

I totally agree with this. Unrelenting Advance should be something everybody want to escape from ! When I see Jedi trying to hit me, I think they should just go back and try to not be in the lightsabers spinning to not die. But it doesn't do a lot of damage, it should be like the flamethrower of the First Order's Flame Trooper but in close quarter combat.
  • So presumably the only way to get emotes is to buy them? Says "available in crates" but crates are still not available to purchase at all, even with credits. Why can't we use credits to buy crates...
  • Thrust surge is glitchy and hits maybe 30% of the time. There was also this incident where it glitched and I was nonstop running in thrust surge with the arms deployed. There was no way to break out of the animation glitch. Grievous was doing the Naruto run nonstop, was hilarious but disapointing. Fix thrust surge please.

This, its grame breaking and isntant death, might as well respawn when it happens.
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif
  • @Rivershark56 Yes.... they've broken the selection system on most menus. Maybe not on all platforms tho or more would be complaining. I'm on XBOX what about you?
  • Tigzee wrote: »
    @Rivershark56 Yes.... they've broken the selection system on most menus. Maybe not on all platforms tho or more would be complaining. I'm on XBOX what about you?

Xbox
  • Althought he has 800 base hp, it seems like he has 600, he takes to much dmg compared to other heroes. When Lando stunnes him, it takes only 3 seconds from full hp to zero with Landos blaster.
    His actions are too slow. Attack and abilities animations are too long before they actually do something.
  • MC_XIX wrote: »
    - saber strike speed is too slow and easy to evade. His strikes are slower than Kylo's.
    - His block is just awful. His stamina drains after blocking like 5 blaster shots. This needs to be at least doubled.

That's good point in my opinion. Grievous deals a lot of damage, I killed Leia with 3 hits ! Also he should be able to deflect blasters, but he's not really good at this, so it's cool to balance the character that blasters are his weakness because he's an absolute beast against Jedi !
  • Tigzee wrote: »
    @Rivershark56 Yes.... they've broken the selection system on most menus. Maybe not on all platforms tho or more would be complaining. I'm on XBOX what about you?

On mine too. Xbox as well
  • R_Schez
    37 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Thrust Surge fail hitting if the enemy moves a little bit.

Claw Rush is great, but we need to be able to stop the run while we want.

Unrelenting Advance is really useless. I can't image how to solve it.

But the highest disappointment is that Grievous only use two saber lasers.
  • Could we possibly get the option to level up new heroes/villains in the arcade modes as they get added? Because in most cases, players aren't even getting the chance to play as Grevious online.
  • There are an issue on consoles in HvV ! U can’t choose which one u want to play with after the update That means u can’t choose to play with Grievous and that is bad imao
  • OMG, LOVED IT!!! Nice work guys!
    Couple of things in Arcade

1. Unrelenting advance doesn’t always block
    2. Claw rush doesn’t seem to knock bots over most of the time.
    3. Claw rush against heavies with shield does nothing at all!

This was pc team battle custom arcade on Kamino.

Thanks
    I have noticed those things too. Also

1. Line up, Weaklings - Does not seems to work. Tested it several times and only the first enemy got hit. The others did not take any damage and even blocked my way ( not being knocked down)

Well done in bringing grievous DICE, I agree with many things said here about things you did right with him.

however LINE UP, WEAKLINGS Star Card is bugged, instead of doing extra damage after the first target hit, it stops doing any damage at all after the first target is hit. So FINN is still the ONLY HERO WITHOUT ANY BUGGED STAR CARD
    Tired of BUGs?

Well, they'll still exist.
    But visit the Rogue Bros Channel, there we document many BUGs and possible workarounds for them. There's also gameplay and other videos related to EA's Star Wars Battlefront (I & II)