criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Lightsaber Combat Improvement

To nobody's surprise, the lightsaber combat is still rather poor. A step up from the last game, but not by much. Aside from stun locks and better responsiveness, there are changes that can be implemented so combat is better enough to make lightsaber duels more enjoyable and not just a block fest.

1. Heavy strikes: Heavy strikes were incorporated in the last game, but didn't work out too well and yet it was removed. Heavy strikes can work to do more damage to enemies when landing a successful blow and can completely remove all stamina from the enemy. For example, Luke Skywalker uses a heavy strike on a heavy trooper. That hit should instant kill a heavy who isn't buffed. Against Kylo Ren, Luke lands a heavy strike while he blocks and his stamina is completely removed and must react differently to avoid being open. If both lightsaber heroes use a heavy strike at the same time, they'll be locked in a struggle like the last game and whoever taps faster should be able to break their block and deplete their stamina. A heavy strike could be performed by holding after 1 second with R2 or RT and a standard swing is done by tapping or pressing the swing button.

2. Remove pushback when hitting against a blocking hero: The most annoying thing when trying to hit a hero blocking is how you always suffer pushback. It's completely unnatural for this scenario to be going on as it makes the combat more difficult to break an enemy's defense. Just have a lightsaber hero continue to swing against a blocking hero with no pushback until their stamina completely runs out.

3. Certain abilities should break blocks: Some abilities from lightsaber heroes should be able to break blocks such as Rey's Dash Strike or Grievous' Thrust Surge to deplete their stamina to make their attacks more effective in battle.

These changes can help improve the lightsaber combat a bit so it doesn't get so repetitive the way it is right now as duels just results in blocking and button mashing. I may have missed a few things but changes need to come ASAP as more lightsaber heroes are coming to the game and duels are not gonna be enjoyable with the current frustrating mechanics.

Replies

• To nobody's surprise, the lightsaber combat is still rather poor. A step up from the last game, but not by much. Aside from stun locks and better responsiveness, there are changes that can be implemented so combat is better enough to make lightsaber duels more enjoyable and not just a block fest.

1. Heavy strikes: Heavy strikes were incorporated in the last game, but didn't work out too well and yet it was removed. Heavy strikes can work to do more damage to enemies when landing a successful blow and can completely remove all stamina from the enemy. For example, Luke Skywalker uses a heavy strike on a heavy trooper. That hit should instant kill a heavy who isn't buffed. Against Kylo Ren, Luke lands a heavy strike while he blocks and his stamina is completely removed and must react differently to avoid being open. If both lightsaber heroes use a heavy strike at the same time, they'll be locked in a struggle like the last game and whoever taps faster should be able to break their block and deplete their stamina. A heavy strike could be performed by holding after 1 second with R2 or RT and a standard swing is done by tapping or pressing the swing button.

2. Remove pushback when hitting against a blocking hero: The most annoying thing when trying to hit a hero blocking is how you always suffer pushback. It's completely unnatural for this scenario to be going on as it makes the combat more difficult to break an enemy's defense. Just have a lightsaber hero continue to swing against a blocking hero with no pushback until their stamina completely runs out.

3. Certain abilities should break blocks: Some abilities from lightsaber heroes should be able to break blocks such as Rey's Dash Strike or Grievous' Thrust Surge to deplete their stamina to make their attacks more effective in battle.

These changes can help improve the lightsaber combat a bit so it doesn't get so repetitive the way it is right now as duels just results in blocking and button mashing. I may have missed a few things but changes need to come ASAP as more lightsaber heroes are coming to the game and duels are not gonna be enjoyable with the current frustrating mechanics.

So I will have to say I agree with you on the pushback part. I feel like it is unnecessary in a duel. Instead they should just have the stamina increase more if you hit a blocking hero like you said. I really like the idea of the heavy strikes, BUT the only thing is if 2 heroes are locked in combat during a match, then enemies could shot them. They would have to make them unhitable by enemy troops. Again, nice idea about breaking blocks. Grevious is in need of this. I think his E should immediately break through blocks as well.

In addition to these, I think they need to add some kind Dashing attack. Either while sprinting or doing a dash, they should do some unique attack. If they added in the heavy attack idea, then they could incorporate multiple different strikes.

ALSO they should change around the way heroes jump. I really don't like how you have to press and hold to jump, and the falling is so slow and weird that you can die while falling to the ground if an enemy is attacking you. Along with jumping, they should add better air attacks. Maybe if you do a heavy attack in the air it brings you down to the ground.
  • Agree pushback should be reduced or diminished. It sometimes pushes people to far away to hit them back after you blocked them.

Also they need to fix all the hero issues with special abilities and standard attacks. Then they can consider adding in the heavy strikes. The heros keep getting worse with every update and they aren't even working as they are suppose to most of the time. It's becoming very problematic. Dice please fix the heros before you lose all the positive gains you have achieved with the new content additions. If you don't then the heros will probably become unplayable in the next several updates.

It's getting pretty bad. I mean look at Grevious he is hardly even playable as most of his abilities don't work and most every hero can get around behind him quickly or go through his special moves with easy...either because they are bugged or because you have allowed too many enemy abilities to go through his special attacks. Luke shouldn't be able to force push cancel all of Grevious' moves....it's nonsense, epecially since he has limited stamina.
  • I agree and support everything that make lightsaber and force combats more authentic.
    A variable damage rate for lightsaber strike would be interesting, as it is implied in the heavy strikes. But I don't really know, if draining all stamina would be the best choice.
    This push back is really annoying and in my opinion leads to spamming only.
    I don't really know, if there should be sertain abilities, that could break through blocks. Maybe a more diplomatic solution is to break through a block but cause less damage.
    And it's really disappointing, that there is no lightsaber/force user only "duel" mode.
    Thanks and greetings.