criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

My suggestions for the lightsaber combat rework:

Kuzuri93
posts Member
edited November 30
Attacking against a blocking enemy continually with no knockback and they receive no damage. This would engage animations similar to what we see in the trailer for SWBFII when Kylo and Rey fight, with sabers connecting.

The blocking player will run out of stamina faster than the attacking player to discourage turtling.

If you block for too long your guard will break and you get the knockback effect and are vulnerable to 2 strikes.

However if you time a tap block just as you receive a strike you will knock back the enemy with a parry, leaving them open to 2 strikes. After the counter strikes, the enemy can recover into a blocking stance until they have their guard broken, parry or run out of stamina. If they are fast enough, the enemy could block the third attempted attack and parry the fourth strike straight into another knockback to change the flow of combat.

This would create a sort of back and forth in dueling and also psyching eachother out by reverting from strikes into a blocking stance and trying to force the enemy to fall for a parry.

Holding block would activate a blocking stance. Tapping block would activate a parry animation.

You must block at least one strike before you can successfully parry. This discourages turtling as you can't simply wait to be attacked and instantly parry. If you attempt a parry by tapping block when not being attacked this would have a large stamina drain.

This method would therefore require holding block and then tapping it as a second or third strike comes in.

This creates another mind game because a player could attack in order to force a block and then revert to a blocking stance instead of a second strike, while the other player attempts a parry, anticipating a second strike. This drains their stamina and leaves them vulnerable for a guard break with low stamina.

Also, to improve flow, dodging and some abilities such as Luke and Mauls dash attacks should be usable in mid air. This would improve movement and survivability.

Heroes also generally feel quite weak. I think each hero should get a health increase of about 500 so that they really feel threatening on the field.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/166c25ba5ff2fed823a53be8388d51ed/tumblr_orcliqry061w6j24yo1_r1_500.gif

https://us.v-cdn.net/6025735/uploads/editor/54/fzqrjcra1kfr.gif

Replies

• Ever played For Honor?
    Basically, my squad and I realized that this game, and any game in the future that has lightsaber combat, basically needs to have a dual/parry system like For Honor. Maybe a bit simplified...but yea. Some of what you mentioned with "timing blocks" sounds a lot like my experience with that game.
  • 2:05 it should be like this
  • Thanks for putting the time to write this. Completely agree.